<b>3 years old in 2010 - Academic development</b>

gng

Jus wonder, for a 3 years old kid, what are we suppose to teach them?

Do we need to enrol them in Pre-nursey?

Gracia, just look up on the web or library for books on milestones development for babies to toddler, they will give you an idea of what to expect and do/teach for the kids. Basically is to focus on the few areas like cognitive, social, aesthetics.....but make sure your kid is enjoying himself/herself.

As for pre-nursery, my 3 yr old son will be attending one this year. Good for interaction and as a start in their education path. However, pre-nursey is not a must....I guess when some parents can teach their own kids.

Hi Gracia,
I'm a working mother who believe in sending a child to school. Children learn more about social interaction, topics of studies and development of speech and motorskills much faster when they follow a structured programme versus playing alone at home.

Yes, you may want to consider sending your child to a play school even if it lasts for a few hours only.

Hi, am a mother of two, my younger is turning 3 in Feb.. any programme to recommend for this age, preferabbly at Sengkang area..

thanks
happy.gif

Dear All,
Thanks for the advice.

Found this and thought of jus sharing:-

Toddlers (2-3 years old)

Developmental Milestones
Because of your child’s growing desire to assert her independence, this stage is often called the “terrible twos.” However, this can be an exciting time for you and your toddler. He will experience huge intellectual, social, and emotional changes that will help him to explore his new world, and make sense of it.

During this stage, your toddler will be able to follow two- or three-phrase commands, sort objects by shape and color, imitate the actions of adults and playmates, and express a wide range of emotions.

Positive Parenting

Set up a special time to read books with your toddler.
Encourage your child to engage in pretend play.
Play parade or follow the leader with your toddler.
Help your child to explore her surroundings by taking her on a walk or wagon ride.
Encourage your child to tell you his name and age.
Teach your child simple songs like Itsy Bitsy Spider, or other cultural childhood rhymes.

Child Safety First
Encourage your toddler to sit when eating and to chew her food thoroughly.

Check toys often for loose or broken parts.
Encourage your toddler not to put pencils or crayons in his mouth when coloring or drawing.
Never leave your toddler near or around water (that is, bathtubs, pools, ponds, lakes, whirlpools, or the ocean) without someone watching her.
Never drink hot objects while your child is sitting on your lap. Sudden movements can cause a spill.

And this:-

Important Milestones: By the End of Three Years (36 Months)

Fact Sheet on Milestones

Children develop at their own pace, so it's impossible to tell exactly when yours will learn a given skill. The developmental milestones below will give you a general idea of the changes you can expect as your child gets older, but don't be alarmed if your child takes a slightly different course.

Social and Emotional

Imitates adults and playmates
Spontaneously shows affection for familiar playmates
Can take turns in games
Understands concept of "mine" and "his/hers"

Emotional

Expresses affection openly
Expresses a wide range of emotions
By 3, separates easily from parents
Objects to major changes in routine

Cognitive

Makes mechanical toys work
Matches an object in her hand or room to a picture in a book
Plays make-believe with dolls, animals, and people
Sorts objects by shape and color
Completes puzzles with three or four pieces
Understands concept of "two"

Language

Follows a two- or three-part command
Recognizes and identifies almost all common objects and pictures
Understands most sentences
Understands placement in space ("on," "in," "under")
Uses 4- to 5-word sentences
Can say name, age, and sex
Uses pronouns (I, you, me, we, they) and some plurals (cars, dogs, cats)
Strangers can understand most of her words

Movement

Climbs well
Walks up and down stairs, alternating feet (one foot per stair step)
Kicks ball
Runs easily
Pedals tricycle
Bends over easily without falling

Hand and Finger Skills

Makes up-and-down, side-to-side, and circular lines with pencil or crayon
Turns book pages one at a time
Builds a tower of more than six blocks
Holds a pencil in writing position
Screws and unscrews jar lids, nuts, and bolts
Turns rotating handles

<font color="ff0000">Developmental Health Watch
Frequent falling and difficulty with stairs
Persistent drooling or very unclear speech
Cannot build a tower of more than four blocks
Difficulty manipulating small objects
Cannot copy a circle by age 3
Cannot communicate in short phrases
No involvement in "pretend" play
Does not understand simple instructions
Little interest in other children
Extreme difficulty separating from mother or primary caregiver
Poor eye contact
Limited interest in toys
Experiences a dramatic loss of skills he or she once had
</font>

no.. planning to but i don't like the environment of my neighbourhood playgroup..
are you in sengkang area? want to enrol him to N1 next year.. still searching for one.. any suggestion?

my boy likes barney, he learns from the ABC songs.. kids learn very fast thru watching vcd..

O, I stay in north area. Woodlands, there is a new playgroup to kindergarten pte school.

Quite good, with small teacher kid ratio.... But think it is abit far for you...

Star,

Just to share with you.
My child is 3 in 2010 oso....he can recognise a-z in both cap n small letters, numbers up to 12 (clock), draw simple shapes, write a-z both cap n small letters with dotted line to follow, off hand to write a few letters eg b, p, o, i, phonics sound from a-k, all these are not learn from school but my home education with him.

I'm a ftwm, need to do complete housework everyday. However, I will always spent half n hr everyday to teach my son new things. Though he attend child care nursery, he does not learn much from there...In addition, my son is with Yamaha music class. From there, he learn music beat, learn new songs etc...

Hello mummies,

For 3 yr-olds, nursery or playgroup may be a good exposure for social skills development. But i believe we (FTWM n SAHM) can do a lot at home even if it is just for 2 hours a day.

My second child will turn 2 in Oct 2010. She has never attended any enrichment. I let her watch educational VCDs, DVDs and okto channel. Though i am not willing to subject her to at least 2 hours of screen time, i have no choice as i need to do the household chores and attend to my elder son's homework.

I also let her play by herself (puzzles, legos and megabloks) as well as make it a point to tell her a short story a day.

By 2.5 yr-olds, she is able to handle 60-pcs puzzles with ease, ride a tricycle, watch and talk about 'Charlie and Lola' DVDs, sleeps in her own room by herself (Thanks to Charlie and lola story!) and sit down to flip through books for at least 20 mins alone.

Do plan a time-table and be disciplined enough to carry it out. We need not do a lot at a time. Enjoy the process.

hi vivid,

i have a 2.5yr old girl and a 10 mth old boy. i will try to do things wif girl but these activites(painting, playdoh) are not suitable for a bb so sometimes i feel abit guilty to my boy and vv.
could u kindly share wif me your timetable or maybe a sample? thanks lots.

Hello eva2004,

I think you have a challenging time coping with 2 young kids that are close in age. I hope you have someone to help you out, otherwise you may burn-out easily if your kids are very active.

My time-table is very simple, though initially i was very ambitious and planned a lot of activities but things sort of work out on their own over time, and it evolved into a mental timetable. Most of the time, it depends on the kids, if they are interested on certain activities then we would do that.

A typical day starts like this:

Morning
VCDs, sing songs (Chinese n English) and dance
Water the plants (simple gardening), they love it
Break (biscuits/fruit)
Reading time (use puppets if possible, young kids like it)

Afternoon
Lunch
Free time
Sleep
Puzzles/ play-doh/ cycling/ motorised/ car/ legos/ handwriting skills/ Painting/ snake and ladder game/ card games (eg. snap)/ Thomas and friend train set/ Art &amp; Craft (simple cutting and pasting, painting/ scrabble

Dinner
TV time (okto, DVDs or VCDs)
Story time
Lights out at 9.30pm

It is important to have a library of books at home to create a conducive environment for cultivation of reading habit.

Hihi,

As for me, my daughter starting going for enrichment classes @Julia Gabriels when she was 10mths old and till now ..

In Jan 2011, shes going to Chiltern Hse for Nursery. Honestly, am very glad n proud to say theres so many achievements I can see in her ..

Despite being 2yr old, shes does things that a 3yr or even older children does .. Shes able to speak sentences, that consists abt 4-5 words ...

Importantly, her social skils and independent skills are very good. Shes very active and rountinely takes books to read eg ...

In JG, they are very organised and importantly very loving n encouraging to kids ...

Hence, I strongly believe, though parents plays an impt role in children's life, exposure to school environment is crucial as they are taught many beneficial lessons
happy.gif

Maha

Yes mommies,

True, parents play an very imporrtant role in chidren's live especially in learning.

For myself I'll spend about 1 hour for my kids after work, normally from 8.30-9.30pm.I will read them story books and teach them little by little per day. Now my 3 yr 2 mths boy is able to pronounce 3 letter words using phonics. He even can spell some of simple words tht i taught. eg: in, on, cat, dog, under, up, down. Don't enderestimate them..

Yes, I believe a mother influences the children development a lot.
My gal will be 3 years next month and she is able to speak fluently in complete sentence. She is more advance than many children of her age in her nursery, she started her N1 last week and the teacher was teaching no. 1 and 2 which was rather easy to my girl, but many children didn't know about it, so if you depend on childcare to teach your kid, it'll be quite difficult.
My friend's son 3 years old can already read book by himself using phonics!

Hi,
My boy is coming 28mths. Just to check normally by this age what most toddler will know? He can say and point correctly to majority parts of the body (eyes, nose,mouth,ear,hand,leg,eyebrow etc) . For ABC, he show not much interest in learning. So far he only able to recognise and tell me a,,b,c ,p .
Number can say 1,2,3,4,6,8.

Back