Any teacher here? How do you cope with MS & work?

mymiracle

Hello all. I'm a teacher and I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my no. 2. My All-Day morning sickness is killing me and I can't imagine another day in a noisy, hot and busy classroom. I like my job but with this MS, I dislike everything now. I'm worried I'll faint or vomit in class. How do you cope with your situation?

Hi MyMiracle, I don't have much of MS so I can do just fine. But if it's getting to you, why don't you discuss with your school, see if they can arrange for a lighter workload for you? My school did just that for another colleague.

hi!
I used to get the next class teacher who is my friend to help whenever i need to throw up. But mine was v. bad. Somehow, managed to get over the torturing period.

It was worse during 2nd pregnancy and I was dehydrated. Given hospital leave to rest at home for 2 wks.

Would suggest that you get your doctor to give you hospitalization leave so you can rest or try to change to a classroom nearer to the washroom. Hope it helps.

Thanks alot for the advice.

I have been depressed, struggling to go to work but I think I have pretty much reached that limit. How can I get hospitilisation leave? Thanks..

Talk to your gynae, tell him your situation and asked if it's possible for him to give you hospitalisation leave.

Hi mummies,
I'm in 16 weeks now with #2.
No more ms now, it's really tired in the 1st tri.
After all it's worth it....
Go get a sea band it works on me during the 1st tri.
I'm still teaching Gymnastics ever now i'm in 2nd tri.
Rest if u can, teaching is not an easy job.
Take care.
happy.gif

Hi there
Go to ur gynea to get hl. try anti nausea pills n natural remedies like sour plums or coke?
hope ur ms disappear soon!

Annie
salute you, it is never easy to be a teacher!

my sis is a teacher. very demanding job. always need to stand during lesson. principal v kiasu and unsympathetic. outside sch hrs still need to go for cca and some bla bla bla sch function. my sis so stressed. She miscarred twice. unhelpful colleagues and some young teachers now really got no morals. Well.. its a v challenging job that teachers have. Parents always happy happy sms or call her. Students are rude. Not all colleagues are helpful enough to help. Basically teachers get married need to plan during holidays. get Pregnant also need to plan dun clash with school term for 1st trim. Cannot happy happy then resign. School happy happy give Grade D you also no choice. V stressful job and i think they need to be given a better welfare.

Hello there, I totally understand what you are going through as I am in the same situation.

I had been on MC as MS is quite bad and affecting my work. I just went on to take 2 weeks of HL from my gynae as there were streaks of blood when I vomit recently. He is quite concern and gave me HL and medication for anti-vomit and gastric immediately.

I always keep snacks, sweets and plastic bag in my mini bag (to put worksheets etc) which i bring to class. Just in case I needed them.

I ate Chen pi, sour gummies and sometimes soda biscuits to ease the nausea.

I hope you have very helpful colleagues like mine, as they do make things easier
happy.gif

Hi all...

I'm a teacher too and planning to try for a baby sometime middle of next year. However, I'm wondering if I take a P6 class next year, will it be quite stressful for the first trimester?

I just gotten pregnant and though I'm too concerned about teaching, standing and being pregnant, I somehow feel that this baby is a precious gift so anything uncomfortable that I go through will be ok!
happy.gif

We will have to endure through it k! I too, like Gina keep wholemeal biscuits, whole grain cereal at hand when hunger strikes suddenly..

Congrats littledotty! Good to know that you're so positive!

Meanwhile...would love to know how the other mums-to-be are juggling with the busy teaching & marking load...plus all other meetings...setting & vetting of exam papers etc....
happy.gif

gymie: I think it would be better if you don't take on a P6 class if you're TTC or pregnant. If there is a need for you to take MC or sometime off work, it would affect the class progress. And imagine if there is always relief teachers, parents are not gonna be happy about it as it's a very important and short year. P6 is a short and important year and normally schools wouldn't assign a teacher who's likely to be away due to one reason or another.

Maybe you could inform your school about your plans for next year and see if your P could arrange for you to take on other levels.

Ooh, saw your other post on juggling work. I also don't know how I manage to do it, but I just get through the days as they pass. I'm lucky I got a lighter workload too. There are times when I'm very tired and just don't feel like doing anymore work at home in the night. So I just rest and ignore the pile of worksheets and compos. But when I feel okay, I just mark and mark and try to complete as much work as possible.

I do wonder and worry at times if I work too hard and much, and all these walking and climbing stairs, stress and being fast paced will affect my baby. but like littledotty said, we will just have to endure it.

Hi blucryst, thanks for your advice! Initially my TTC plan is sometime end of next year...but as I'm getting older (32 this year)...getting abit worried! So...have been thinking if shd start planning earlier...

Informing my P abt it is not a problem...my sch is quite ok one...just that initially I was the one who wants to follow my students up...as I've been teaching them for a few years already...sentimental value....but I guess I can't have the cake and eat it...have to sacrifice one...

How many weeks pregnant are you?

gymie: If you're thinking of having #2 or more after your first child, then you should start planning earlier. And also you wouldn't know when you would strike jackpot. Sometimes it's really fast like within a couple of months, sometimes it can take slightly longer. So it's good to give yourself some buffer time.

I know how it's like wanting to follow up. I can't follow my P5 up next year too but work is work. Your personal life needs to take priority at times. And this is one of those times. (I need to convince myself that too =P)

I'm now 18 weeks pregnant
happy.gif

reporting!

i'm 8 weeks pregnant, first pregnancy. =) feeling nauseous on and off in school, so far vomited once in school.

people says first trimester shouldn't walk a lot? but how not to?! all the way from level 1 to level 4 and back is norm! plus my long days when i hv 5 hrs (2 consecutive hrs + 30 min break + 3 consecutive hrs full of screaming and shouting at plus sometimes even fighting and reasoning with super rebellious teenagers) really makes me wanna faint in exhaustion and hunger at the end of the day!

plus i perspire a lot! if i dun use antiperspirant i will hv 2 great patches at my armpits... but is it ok to continue to use antiperspirant? will it affect the milk ducts or something? plus now the fragrance of my antiperspirant makes me sick =/

oh no itsadecbaby your sister's case is really bad =(

it's not easy being a teacher on any other days, and worse if you are pregnant! my cca is a uniform group and still have camps and courses to attend. plus other things to take care of, like PLT, level coordinator etc... other functions to organize or be involved in. i don't see my workload getting easier, except that i will be pulled out of an overseas trip. i guess i can cope... i really hope so!

i'm usually in sch from 6:40am to 6:30pm... i'm just glad i have supportive colleagues who will take care of me and watch out for me whenever they can. i know it's not easy for them too. we are all in this together.

Hi felicity, Hope you're feeling better now. Helpful colleagues and understanding heads really make a difference. The walking, climbing and perspiring is inevitable. My school is in a holding site currently so there's no lift. And for the first and second trimester, I have to climb 3,4 floors everyday. During my last trimester, I have to take public transport to work, so it's also pretty tiring. But I managed it all in the end and so can you. If it really gets overwhelming, maybe try to talk to P or RO to see if you can be relieved of some duties. Jia you!

Hi, totally agree that being a teacher now is not easy. This is my second preg and my MS is quite bad. There was once I nearly vomited while teaching halfway. Somemore, I am doing discipline. So, sometimes I really need to scold and shout at pupils who are really out of hand. Everytime I scold, I dun feel good but no choice. I think I scolded too much during my first preg. My son very bad tempered. So i m hoping that this time round, i dun need to scold so much then i'll get a milder tempered child. But so difficult!

Seriously, sometimes, I feel like giving up and just quit. I love teaching if it's pure teaching. I really cannot tahan the extra work like CCA, LC, projects etc etc. Sigh......

thank you blucryst! yes i climb 4 floors up and down everyday as the school has no lift and the classes i teach span from first to fourth level. i don't think can be relieved of duties. my school has seen so many super pregnant women who can take on more than anyone else even when pregnant... so i am told not to slip in performance as under comparison, may affect my ranking.

rachelle *hugs* we are all with you! teachers scold so much, especially in neighbourhood sec schools like mine, and i assume yours too, the students are so defiant and rebellious, can't really teach without raising the voice and settling the kids! a pregnant colleague says she has to keep telling her baby not to learn from these kids and not to let mummy's scolding affect it.

i was told to be careful, take good care and not take too many MC. =( i know it's because my superiors genuinely care for me and worry that taking MC will affect my performance so they gently remind me out of concern, but i've been sick for a long time and not getting better. i've seen 3 different doctors and taken so many different types of medicines already, each doctor gave me 4 to 6 types of medication. maybe because pregnant cannot take too strong medications or consume 'liang' stuff, so my sore throat is not healing and it's really beating me. a teacher without a voice. it's making me really depressed, plus to deal with no break over term break next week.

Hi all,

Thot i'd just share with you. I am a teacher myself too. EDD in May. I took more than 14 days of MC and so far my pay has not been deducted. Neither have i been told to go on npl by my sch. So i am really thinking it is true that expecting mothers have 30 days of unspoken MC. A colleague also shared the same thing with me.

During my 26th week, i had some bleeding and was warded for a couple of days. My gynae gave me 2 weeks of HL and confined me to bed rest at home when i was discharged on the 3rd day.

As for school, i requested for lighter load at the start of the semester and the sch is giving me alot of support. i.e. lower sec classes only, easier to manage classes.. etc. For days that require me to stay almost 12 hrs in sch, i will weigh and see if i am up to it physically. If i feel very tired that week, i will talk to my RO to excuse me from certain sch events and the sch is really understanding on these matters. i know this will probably affect my PB at the end of the yr, but then again, what could be more impt than my baby's well being now when how i feel now affects the baby not short term, but it could be for the rest of his life (e.g. shouting at kids often, getting stressed and depressed during the pregnancy all affects the child character in future)

I hope sharing my experience helps somehow.
happy.gif

I agree with Joy, you and your baby's well being is more important. And once you delivered, you may be thinking of extending your maternity leave and get NPL, and I find that this NPL thingy is quite complex. I have been thinking whether to take NPL, but worry about the consequences, ie $$. :/

Hello everyone!

I just delivered last week, did not take ML early. My girl was born 40w3d (same as jie jie). Even went back to sch the day before I delivered, to clear some final marking and handover to the contract teacher taking over me (was on MC that day).

My P did ask if I will be taking NPL, I told her no.. can't afford to. We need the dual income. NPL does affect bonuses, CONNECT PLAN etc; they are all pro-rated.

Am involved in AR this year and I have no idea how to coordinate with the rest when I am not around. In any case, I think getting pregnant and not being able to contribute as much will affect my PB next year. Sometimes, I just feel that my RO isn't as supportive as she claims to be.

My bond is ending in June and I did consider switching jobs but what job can let me have these much holidays? Benefits aren't exactly fantastic as compared to my mum's pension scheme but better than nothing. It's been 5 years and being a diploma holder, my friend and I have yet to be promoted which is a bit discouraging. Taking part time degree is not top on my list now after having #2.

I've seen many who quit teaching (including my sis) and are doing well in other industries but with family commitment, I have a lot to consider. I just want to spend more time with my two princesses and have that steady income... sigh.

Hi,

with regards to what Joy mentioned about the medical leave, does anyone know how many med leaves are we entitled to?

I was told we have up to 14 days of MC and then another 30 days for special reasons (I suppose preg is considered special reason) and also up to 60 days of hospitalisation leave (which also inc medical leave/special leave). I had a colleague who was given bed rest for the final trimester as she had high BP and she managed to take 3 mths leave (i suppose is 60 days in total minus all the hol and weekends) and all paid leave.

Actually, when I had my #1, my RO told me she excluded me from the ranking exercise and hence i just got a base grade for perf for that yr when i went on Maternity leave. So, it is up to your RO whether she/he wanna rank you or not since we are absent for like almost 1 full semester.

I also did tot of resigning. I will be taking my first CONNECT plan this yr. My EDD is in Sept. So, just nice. thinking of taking NPL after my maternity so that i can still be qualified for my CONNECT plan. I want to look for more flexi timing job so as to spend more time with my 2 kids. it's very hard to survive on single income so I die die must continue to work. I was thinkig of going pte tuition or those enrichment centres to teach. If this really doesn;t work for me, at least, i can still go back to sch after the NPL.

I think it's very difficult for teachers to get a good pay outside of education industry cos of our irrelevant experience. so, it's better to remain in the edn line if dun wanna suffer major pay cut. Sigh.... how i wish teaching is purre teaching! then i wont have to think of quitting!

hi all wld like to share my exp.hi gina maybe u will get promoted this year?for dip holders abt 5 years promote one time unless yr performance very good.I was just told by my P i got promoted, i was a dip holder also but i resigned.

i actually want to resign last yr coz of unhappiness at work and i really neglected my girl in a way. anyway i decided to resign coz my gal was not close to me. i have never ending work and no quality time for her. my sch is all abt ranking and keep threatening in a way if i din perform i may not get a good grade.is really a final straw for me.mentally n physically im drained out so i decided to take the plunge.I got a job in a enrichment centre,hopefully i can achieve the work life balance.although benefits may not be as good but i think family is much more important and my own health.

hi rachelle, if u take no pay leave is not wise to work in enrichment ctr if u gt cpf contribution from them.is not allowed.but i heard u can apply as flexi adjunct in other schs when u on no pay leave,you got pay and is not so stressful.u cld call moe hr to check.

<font color="aa00aa">Dear all, I need a current/ex/NIE-trained teacher to relief for 1mth(end sept-end Oct) in a tuition centre located in the East. Would require someone to commit 3 weekdays for the evening classes. Interested parties or any of ur frens/colleagues interested, pls pm me ur details so that I can give u more info on this.
Thank u!</font> =)

Hi selina,

If I am not wrong, now MOE has this regulation that you can only apply to be a flexi adjunct after you quit for 1 yr.

Hmm... so if i m on NPL, i can only do pte tuition huh? So, have you started your work in enrichment centre? is it better than in sch?

nope flexi adjunct can apply immediately is contract adjunct got a period of 6 mths.coz my colleague also resign last yr dec and come back in jan.

u call n check with moe hr.u can do flexi in other sch while on no pay leave,is a new policy i heard from my current P.coz she persuade me not to resign and told me abt this option.is better not to go work in other jobs with cpf contribution coz if found out,u will be in trouble.yup u can only do private tuition. I also tried private tuition b4 during my maternity and no pay but dont really like.

i have not started the enrichment ctr yet haha i hope will be better:p

oooo, thanks for the info, Selina. then what's the diff between the flexi adjunct and part time? the pay scheme is different?

I just want to have a more flexible working time. I think I cannot continue to neglect my kid. I am teaching other pple's kids but come to my own, I am so ashamed to say that I am not doing a good job. sigh

part time is u still in service,never resign.u can request for 1/2,3/4 or 2/3 load im not sure how they allocate the job.pay is of course see hw much load u take n gt pay cut.for eg u take 1/2 load yr pay cut by half.but i heard no point also coz end up u also busy and pay little.

flexi adjunct is u need to resign or go on no pay.rate is per hr n depend on yr exp(yrs in teaching) and qualification.

u r right cannot we teach other ppl kids and neglect our own.i saw alot of my colleagues all cant discipline their own kids or kids not close to them.im not doing a good job at either work n family.life is too short quality time with family is important.

Hi all,

my company is looking for teachers or ex-teachers willing to do home-based assignments in coming up with lesson packages for drama, phonics, maths and science. Anyone interested for more info can PM me.

i took 3 days mc in total last sem and already gotten warning for taking mc... told not to take too many... plus told pregnancy is not a reason for performance to slip so i don't even dare to request for lighter duty... one more term to go!

i want to ask, if your school allows you to break your maternity leave up?

because i heard of many telling me they took sept &amp; oct, then jan &amp; feb... so have 6 months... staggered across the holidays so more worth, and told me to do it. i'm not allowed to do so though, my school only allow to take 4 months straight at a time. so very wasted when clashes with holidays, sigh.

Back