Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

Hi grooviesg,

Really depends on what you usually cook. I prefer deeper pan. Can use it to cook instant noodles! At the moment I've kept all other pans away so the stove looks mighty neat
happy.gif

Hi Grooviesg,

I don't like washing too many large pots/dishes so these days hb uses the double/deep pan to do instant noodles. Open cooking - don't close the lid or else the water will over-run when boiling. Did 'claypot' rice last week: http://mumusingseat.blogspot.sg/2012/05/double-pan-baked-chicken-rice.html My sis who totally can't cook is now learning using the double pan 'cos she's scared of oil/splatter/fire. Bsically when the pan is used open, it's like a mini wok/pot/stirfry pan. When closed, it functions like a wok/oven/grill. That's my conclusion after trying out all sorts of ingredients these 2 weeks. Also did roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes - tastes the same as when I used my hb's Japanese oven-baking pot. Just that not so hazardous thanks to the long handles which don't feel hot at all.

fairy

If I remember correctly, only 6 kids in dd's school got selected, 3 girls & 3 boys.

So 25 from same school is considered very high success rate leh. Hearsay Nanyang train the top p3 class. Not sure how true?

dd's school of course don't provide training, they are very reluctant to lose their top students

Hi mommies,
Too busy with work to read this thread.
My maid last minute informed me that she wants to go home, because her daughter, unmarried, is pregnant ! My maid is devastated because she has worked so hard to put her daughter through university, she is only in second year now. Fortunately the university allows her to continue to study, and the man who made her pregnant wants to marry her. I can only console her by saying that her daughter can still give birth, finish university, and get a job. Just employ a maid to look after her baby, since it is very cheap to get one in Indonesia. My maid is very sad because she spent so much money on her daughter. I told her that from now on, she should save money for her old age, don't spend on her daughter any more after she completes university.

My maid says she definitely want to come back to work for me. I let her go home for 2 weeks, hopefully she keeps to her promise.

Fairy,
Based on my experience working with GEP kids, they are not super brilliant. There are spelling and grammar errors in their reports, and they don't know how to do research in the internet. When asked how they are going to make the prototype for their project, they told me that their daddy / mummy will help them.

There is a report in the newspapers about kids going for GEP tuition. It is very true that most kids got in because they are trained to take the GEP tests.

tamarind

I don't think MOST kids are trained. Maybe SOME but certainly not MOST. Only a handful are struggling in dd's class, majority breeze through so far.

Straits time cited one case Mary (not her real name) as scrapping through the programme. So the 'true' colour will surface lor, whether naturally gifted or trained.

Parents should not push their kids into gep. Can make it then take up the programme, 顺其自然 lor, don't 硬硬 squeeze in & then 'suffer' unnecessarily

yawn,
Perhaps my definition of giftedness and yours is very different. A truly gifted, or super brilliant child does not need parents help to do their project. Giftedness does not only mean doing well in paper tests. Any bright kid can be trained to do that.

The fact is that all GEP kids must have attended one or more tuition/enrichment classes long before P3, even if it is not specifically to prepare for GEP. After they entered GEP, most of them still need tuition.

tamarind

psle is a paper test too. I guess it's the cheapest way to conduct mass assessment from moe's perspective. of course there was better ways to assess a child, undeniable about that. I suppose moe need to weigh cost vs benefits.

Yeah, maybe we're talking about different things

I wonder... not everyone is highly educated like you & your hubby who are capable of teaching your kids, introducing them concepts like algebra & periodic table.

You're probably going to say gifted kids can self-learn. I think it's more efficient to have someone teach them the concept once. Being gifted, they can gasp the concept after once. No need repetition. Gifted doesn't mean genius leh. It only means they are capable of learning at exceptional speed in the normal distribution curve

So I'm not against the idea of other parents who are either less capable or too occupied with work to turn to advance tuition for help. So that they do not hinder their gifted kids' learning pace

For example, a gifted kid is intellectually capable to understand calculus but parents are too busy with work or lack the knowledge to introduce calculus concept. Then tutition is logical solution

yawn,
GEP label its students as "gifted", PSLE does not. How to compare ?

I was only replying to Fairy's post about only super brilliant kids can get into the GEP. This is not true based on my experience. A super brilliant kid does not need to attend any tuition/enrichment classes.

tamarind

Are you referring to paper test for p3 gep screening then? Screening is conducted mass for entire cohort. Similar scale as psle.

I agreed it's not the most accurate method to sniff out gifted kids. But have to weigh cost too. An individual IQ test is accurate but cost way too much.

So paper test is the cheapest method for such mass assessment. Unfortunately a certain number of exam smart & trained kids will get in too lor

yawn,
I think that the majority of kids who got into the GEP nowadays are trained. It will not be easy to find a GEP kid who has never attended any enrichment before. I have worked with many GEP kids before and this is my observation. Individual GEP parents only know their own kids, and many don't even tell the truth. Those who claimed that their kids never attended any tuition, probably taught the kids at home since a very young age.

Giftedness cannot be determined by a paper test. It is a well known fact that bright kids can be trained to do well in any paper test. It is wrong to compare PSLE to GEP, since PSLE does not test for giftedness.

Actually I learned Calculus on my own by reading the textbook in secondary school because I have problem paying attention to the teacher in class. A gifted child should be able to do so at a younger age, without the need of any tuition, just give her a textbook will do. BTW, I scored 95 marks for A.Maths in sec 4, no tuition required, and no extra help from teachers.

My average ability boy actually learned the multiplication tables all by himself, and also memorized all the country names in the world, just because he finds these knowledge interesting. A gifted child should be able to learn independently without any help, once he/she can read independently.

Remember the famous boy who passed O level chemistry at 7 years old ? His father said that he learned on his own by reading a textbook.

Hi mommies,
Any recommendation for part time maid ? I am not feeling well, keep getting sick recently. My hubby is very busy with work, often working to very late at night. Since my maid will be away for 2 weeks, I need someone to help with mopping the floor and cleaning the kitchen and toilet.

Hi Tam,

Oh dear.....hope that your maid really comes back.

Hi Pink Gerbera - I am also working with an ID on our renovations works. We decided to use an ID as she will do all the coordination with sub-contractors. Save us all the headaches. This ID charge us very reasonable ID charges and material costs. Hopefully, things turn out well tho :p

mumusings,
The cleaning companies charge very high. I hope to find a part time maid who charges $10 to $12 an hour, 3 times a week for 2 weeks only.

snowball,
Hopefully my maid keeps to her promise.
You found a place to move during the renovations ?

Hi Tam,

Had difficulty finding a temp rental flat/ house. But, we sold our place (unexpectedly within 2 weeks) and managed to buy another place (slightly bigger than current place). Now waiting to complete the buy and sale and take over the house for reno.

For part-time helper, I will check with a friend whom is staying at Boon Lay area if she can help. Will let you know.

Hi Tam,

You might want to do a search on this forum. I think I've seen individual people do posts on cleaning services.

Mumusings, happycall should sign you on as their spokesperson... tks for sharing the tips in ur blog! I've bookmarked it.. I'm like ur sister too.. No cooking experience at all! Hope I'll try it out soon..
I'm planning to get the pan frm gmarket.. Or any other good ideas where to get the pan?

Hi Grooviesg,

No problem. I procrastinated trying the double pan and I wished I had bought one earlier! My mom bought one (not happycall but korean) for nearly S$200 3 years ago. Goodness knows where she bought it. Was in her cupboard all this while until I bought the S$19.99 pan and she said "Aiyah why you buy I have one and you said you didn't want..." I don't recall her saying she ever had one! Nevermind. This cheap doublepan is stress-free to use because of the pricing
happy.gif

Isetan is carrying the full range of Happycall so if you want to chalk up points on Isetan card or wait for rebates, it's the place to get your pan/wok. Am eyeing on the 28cm diamond wok!

Hi all,

My kid has finally decided that he wishes to do colouring so here he is colouring 3 pages almost everyday. I don't intervene with what he does so long as he doesn't (1) break the crayons out of ischief (2) draw on my sofa/table/wall. Here's what he did 2 weeks back
happy.gif
Not bad eh, for a starter. I suspect his aim is to use up all his available crayon colours in one assignment.

http://mumusings.blogspot.sg/2012/06/colouring-book.html
7120403.jpg

Hi snowball,
Thanks ! OIC its great that you manage to get a new place.

mumusings,
OK I will check out this forum.
Your son's coloring looks cute
happy.gif
My boy could not color like that at this age.

Hi Tam,

Thanks. Messy colouring but I really don't care 'cos I don't want to stifle his imagination and choice of colours
happy.gif
I don't know abt other kids but this boy likes to do everything in a rush! He finishes one picture in 10 mins. Same for writing. It's either he writes/colours/draws a lot or none at all. At the moment, hb and I are trying to get him to work on neatness and patience. I don't know why he needs to finish everything in one breath (literally). There are times he finishes an entire tracing book in an hour when there isn't a need to. How did you get your kids to write neatly?

Hi all,

Anyone went to United Square for Hi-5 performance? Alot more organised this year and very nice/cosy space + lovely purple/pink decor so entire place feels very compact. Was kiasu and went to queue at 11.30am for the 1pm show. I think we must have gone for too many shows Tim/Lauren recognises us and Tim addresses me as "mumusings". Funny. Quite relieved to have gone for the first show. Think will go for one more next week. Kid is just overjoyed to say hello to them and pass the long-owed Hot Wheels truck (we found an identical one so that there's no conflict of interest) to the friendly chap.

http://mumusings.blogspot.sg/2012/06/hi-5-performs-at-united-square.html

Uploading youtube videos in a while...

7124741.jpg
Kid giving gifts to the crew.

mumusings,
I also bought coloring books for my kids. My girl loves to color, and she was writing very neatly by 5 years old. My boy did not like to color, I had to buy mazes for him to do. Anyway he did not do much coloring or mazes, but he likes to draw animals using pencils. I also bought him a book which teaches how to draw cartoons, and he likes the book. He can write neatly by P1, which is not bad considering I never make him practice writing words.

I am very disgusted by the ex-SCDF chief. The women who had sex with him are directors/managers, is it really necessary for women to use sex to climb the corporate ladder ?

Another news report which caught my attention :
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_806854.html
NUS student becomes target of online abuse
Third-year student Keira Chen, 22, had said in her piece in The Kent Ridge Common that the university's policy of making it compulsory for students on the University Scholars Programme (USP) to stay on campus for two years would put needy students like herself at a disadvantage.

I cannot believe that she was attacked by nasty comments. I agree with Siew Kum Hong : "The incident reflects a class divide, where those who are privileged are unable and unwilling to understand the plight of those less well-off"

I think that this a result of our education system , as well as parents who do not seem to know how to teach good moral values nowadays.

Hi Tam,

There's one Nicholas Leong (Law Society or comething) who said he took MRT to connect with the 'peasantry'. NOW I HAVE BECOME A PEASANT???!!! What are all these rich elite taking normal people as????

Hi Tam,

That friend of mine just got a new fulltime cleaning job. So, she cannot help you out now.

Ex-SCDF Chief fiasco - This is the quality of our "Scholars" these dayzzzzz. The names of the ladies involved and the companies they worked in were published Last week, cannot imagine how their family face the world now. There was another report of a Navy Officer being suspended from duty for some indecent harrassment...Is our society really so stressful nowadays that we have supposedly "decently looking" people doing those disgusting/ indecent things? Sighhhhhh

GSS

Anyone 冲 shopping this GSS? Other than the week we were in Bintan, I've been shopping almost every other day since GSS began. Steep discount from all my favourite labels like GG<5, dressy, m(phois. I even spot some korea imported fashion in BHG. Sweep a total of 17 top for myself, 2 for dd, 4 pants and 1 pair of shoes. So happy with my conquest!

Spent the entire afternoon yesterday packing my wardrobe and I found a new mango tube top that I've completed forgotten about. So that's my bonus for de-cluttering my wardrobe, hehe!

Gave some of my 'old' pants to dd. Gosh, I put on so much weight last year that I can't squeeze into half of my wardrobe possession. Been exercising at gym diligently but yet to see any weight loss although my buttock is much firmer than before, so machines are really good for toning lor. But I want to lose weight!

Hi Yawn,

GSS also has good deals for household/ furniture. I was shopping around for furniture for my new place...managed to buy a bed/ bedframe at much lower prices. Also bought a daybed from Scanteak at discounted price and got foc set of cushion cover.

Will be going for more household shopping this weekend
happy.gif

snowball

hehe, very exciting to decorate new home hor. I like that part best. Don't enjoy dealing with contractors though

I want to get a smart TV. Somehow price remained the same before &amp; after GSS for that particular model I want. Gonna check out PC show this weekend, hopefully got good lobang

Girls,

I am so envious of your GSS haul. Shopping was my #1 fav past time till kids came along.
Now, between work and kids, I can only afford to do online shopping. And because I can’t try out clothes, I dare not go too crazy on buying my own clothes and end up buying stuff for my kids instead….
My wardrobe badly needs a revamp.
Sometimes want to take leave to shop but leave also very precious…need to run errands, bring kids to doc etc…

Sorry, venting again….

Snowball,

Have fun with your reno…do share pics when it is ready!

Sophia,

Yah, lost count of the days when I question my own sanity. Some days are just CRAZY.
If someone told me in my twenties that I would have 3 kids, think I will laugh my head off.
How my life has changed.

pink gerbera

I can buy a blouse in 5 mins! Don't really need a lot of time to shop. It's either I like or don't like that colour/design. And I only buy clothes I like on 1st sight. So quite easy to decide. If no queue, try it on, pay &amp; go. Sometimes when cutting through a shopping mall to go to mrt, I end up buying something unexpectedly along the way, haha!

No wonder boutiques &amp; shops on ground floor command the highest rental. Must have a lot of customers like me

Hi Gerbera,

I only buy max 10 pieces of new clothes a year since becoming a mother haha... no need for makeup etc. Really can't afford to buy nice stuff for myself anymore unlike in the past! Anyway I've put on so much weight since giving birth there's no point spending on clothes until I attempt/succeed in getting back to 49 - 52 kg range.

Hi Yawn,

I was told that Smart TV isn't useful unless you have all the relevant/compatible gadgets, is that true? The prices have dropped so much since the launch 2 years ago!

Hi Snowball,

It's absolutely sick that these men act family-men/upright but are really no better than those lascivious ah peks who seek thrills with PRC girls. Worse, they use public funds/contracts to barter for favours. These scholars are likely repressed (having to act 'perfect' and 'goody'. Imagine the chief of SCDF having to hanky panky in a carpark. For the thrill or out of fear of being 'recognised' if he checks into a hotel (other than Paris hotel one time)??! He even brought one woman home (Tanjong Rhu is where he lives). What about his wife? Is she going to do the same as Jack Neo's? I hate it when men think it's NORMAL to have a fling but when a woman strays, she will heaped upon with lots of vulgar labels like "whore", "loose" and "slut". What about men?

Actually I have shaved ff a considerable amount of weight since I had three kids. All that breast feeding and running around has helped.
happy.gif

In fact, I'm more conscious of my looks than before since growing older.

Sophia

My weight gain was due to slowing metabolism rate. I guess I've reached 'old' age. I reverted close to my pre-pregnancy weight after giving birth to dd2. Have been slim slim all these years without doing anything then suddenly gain a lot of weight last year although no change in diet. I tried dieting but didn't work. I even went for blood test to find the cause of sudden weight gain.

At my age, every part of the body either sag or become flabby. I guess it's a timely reminder I cannot continue to be lazy, really must put in some effort to exercise

<font color="0000ff">mommies

Are you exercising regularly? How do you maintain your figure?</font>

mumusings

the sales man said need to have broadband to connect to smart tv, can access youtube and some standard websites. I think he also mentioned the tv set comes with some cable thing to connect to home broadband.

Yes, price dropped a lot, a 46 inch is under $2k, very tempting hor

mumusings,
I had an ex-colleague whose father was a millionare. He said that he cannot tolerate the "smell" of buses and taxis. He also cannot drink coffee from styrofoam cups. Normal people are indeed like peasants compared to the elites.

snowball,
OK no problem. Thanks for checking.
I suppose those 3 ladies think it is worth it to sell their bodies in return for LV / Gucci bags. They are no different from that teenage prostitute. What has our society become ?

pink gerbera,
Like you, I can only do online shopping ever since my kids were born. Anyway, I dislike buying my clothes locally due to bad service, poor quality and high prices.

Hi all,

Was browsing today and saw that a scammer on spree section has been exposed. Good grieve...
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/7121932.html?1339151214 Amount is more than 20k (just one nickname's worth, don't know abt the 2nd nick)!

Hi Tam,

Certainly, some ppl think they are so high class. Knew of someone who will hold bladder till reach home 'cos she simply cannot use any public toilet (not even hotels/restaurants). I guess I am a peasant afterall since I rely on public transport and eat at normal places
sad.gif

Hi Grooviesg,

Wow... fantastic pieces from a 6-year old! Your friend must be very proud of her child. Saw that they've invested in quality stationery for Reese. How many parents will allow or can afford to do so in Singapore?

hi ladies,

The happycall pan is still my hb pet. I hardly used + I prefer the traditional frying wok.....whahahah.

Yawn, ya think after we pass 30, our metalbolism rate is low and tend to put on weight.

Sophia, so envy tat u can shake off the extra by breastfeeding. For me I nv lose weight even I breastfeed. For my #1, I thought it is becoz I tend to eat alot to try to boast up my supply which is low and nt enough for my boy. But for #2, my supply was more than enough for my small eater gal and I dun eat alot but still cannot lose off the weight esp the big tummy. so in the end I took a 3 months program last year to trim away the big tummy and my weight came down from 50.8 to 46kg (my secondary sch days weight) and I was only 1.51 cm tall lor....

So this year CNY shoppig was a happy one and buy alot of dresses while last yr only but 2 or 3 pieces of clothes and all black colour nia...heehee

Hi Diana,

You should be happy that your hb likes to use the pan/cook
happy.gif
A rare breed. Most of my male ex-classmates/colleagues cannot cook at all. Only know how to eat and mess up.

Hi Tam,

My friend just got a permanent job and gotta work on weekdays. Hence she cannot help you liao.

Hi Grooviesg - Nice drawings by a 6-yr old....He can draw very well.

Hi Yawn - Yes! We are really enjoying the process of shopping for household items. We decide to buy as we go along to avoid last minute mad-cow rush and end up buying on impulse. Moreover, we also get additional freebies along with the GSS. Yesterday, went to scanteak warehouse sale and bought a matching armchair for the daybed we've bought. Got 15% off
happy.gif
Also bought a set of Nestling tables at special price. So far, settled for my room and living room. Now, left with my kids' and guest room stuff to buy.

Snowball,
Have fun with ur Reno
happy.gif
must be very excited!

Grooviesg
Wow ! your friend's son drawing Amazing !

Diana
So envy ! your HB can do cooking
happy.gif

mumusings,
I've been fine. Have been busy working. :p my boy is still struggling with school though.

Sharon,
S should be P1 right? She looks like she is having so much fun!

sleepy,
told you my weight is like the inflation? up up and away and never come down? I have no choice but to jog. started last August when I saw my photos - my big round white face and fat flabby body and arms!!! terrible!!! that's when I started to run. no changes at first, then i need to step up the frequency of the runs and also jogging a bit longer. this year i gotta wake up with my boy, so now i run in the mornings average about 3 times a week, 40 mins each run. at the very least, my weight is controlled and i don't have to keep changing my clothes to bigger size ones. Recently, I can wear back my old clothes (not the older ones yet though). At least nowadays i can eat. so my motivation is: <font color="ff6000">Run to eat!</font>

rona

Yes yes, motivation is very important! You've great determination. I always thought jogging is a very tedious form of exercise

My abrupt weight gain stopped increasing before I started going to gym. But it is so stubborn that it stays put at that alarming scale with or without exercise. I've been going to gym thrice a week since end March but my weight didn't even reduce a tiny bit. I've knee cap problem leh, cannot run at all. In fact, sitting for long time such as during movies will cause knees to ache too. Sigh.... started experiencing 老人病 already

your boy is P3 now?

Back