Any comments on Eager Beaver Schoolhouse?

hi tigger88, u've gt 3kids at EB? wow! i have only 1 DS in K1, which class are ur kids in? n u're a '88 mummy? *envy*, got 3 already =)

hi gohstan, visit the centre to know more the teachers inside, u'll be able to walk ard n go to the particular class where ur kid will be enrolling in.

hi tigger88, hehehe, guessing ma. hehehe. wah.. so which teacher is the most popular one amongst ur kids? DS just joined EB tis april. previously with PAP as i SAHM, nw FTWM. so he learnt quite alot whn he joined them, but his standard among them he still lousy la. now picking up.. hehehe

Actually they dun really have a preference. They are happy there so I think all teachers are so far ok. My eldest kid has been with EB for 4 years. I think he is feeling sad that he is graduating soon and will miss seeing his frens and teachers.

so he will b gg over to the lodge? =) i find each individual teacher have their own strengths. now eb doesnt have infant care. so if i got no.2 ill faint. haha

Nope, he is not going to the lodge as we have shifted away from Yishun last year so not too convenient for him to travel from his pri sch to the lodge.

hi,

i also plan to put my daughter (Born in Jul 2010) to Yishun EB. However, my concern is too many kids in EB and it is all air-con environment, kid get sick easily. Can any mummy whose kid in yishun EB feedback whether ur kid often get sick or not? really concern about this. everytime my daughter got sick, my heart broken. Thanks a lot.
happy.gif

Just want to share with you a childcare centre I found that is so sincere and true in inculcating moral values in our children. Do check out Xiyao Childcare at kaki bt ave 1, even parents in Woodlands send their kid there! The teachers are very dedicated and I am very touched by the education there, they even teach parents, a very wholesome education!

my boy (born in 2009) just enrolled to EB yishun on 5-Dec. he is in N1C now. there are 2 nursery groups (N1C & N1D) in one classroom. currently my son's class is abt 8 persons.
so far... he looks ok with the school. teacher also comment that he always look happy in the class.

the teachers are caring/ patient to children.
personally i think children will not feeling "bored" because EB yishun always having different kind of activities. my son is going join a excursion to land transport gallery tomorrow. they are also having a x'mas party + funfair by end of this week.

i dont have too much negative comment on this center. the only thing i dont like is children are not allow to request more for fruit. they are only given 1 pc of fruit during lunch time.

As for falling sick in CC, it happen everywhere and it has to do with the child immunity system.

I've enrolled my child to EB after a switch after 2 weeks at LSH @ OCC since I mentioned earlier that i paid the deposit etc and what attract me was the indoor playground and covered carpark.

Disappointed with LSH. Poo not washed properly. Well as for the rest, it best I dont comment much here.

Hi, I went EB at Yishun today and they have vacancy for N2 class. Any mummies with kids in N2? What is the feedback on the teachers and school overall? do your child go home and tell u how happy he/she is when in school?
My other question is this school use to have long waiting list, why suddenly there is so many available vacancy, anyone know the true reason?
I need to move my son out from another school.

EB at bukit merah central is over crowding and environment not so clean due to location near the bus interchange.
I pull out my kid last year after 4-5 months with them. My kid kept falling ill every week and had chicken pox. Twice HFMD occurred in tt 5 mths. I'm constantly at fear of my kid getting it also bcos I ran out of family medical leaves etc. it was frustrating to kept informing boss about kid getting ill. Since we switch to new cc, my child didn't fall ill that much. I knew some parents also started pulling their kids out late last year. Also heard from other parents that HFMD happened again 1-2 times after my switch.

Hi bebe, tks for sharing! May I know when did u pulled out fm EB @ BM & which CC had u trf yr kid to that u deem good? I juz visited EB 2 weeks back wif a new supervisor Venessa & thought the environment looks spacious & great to hv their own playground & swimming class incorporated into their K1 & K2 class. It was napping time so I didn't see many teachers but I didn't see any kids sleeping outside their classroom. My hubby however didn't like the supervisor... He didn't find her "genuine" :p so still looking around... My girl said her current CC is naughty & boring & didn't like to go...

Hi Hwee Huan,

She's at Carecorner, a new CC opened in April 2012. But teachers turnover is really high, I have lost counts on the change. (though K1 & K2 english teachers are more stable, no change so far). But lately there's a very bad outbreak on HFMD, 13 cases in 2 weeks
sad.gif

This school used to have long waiting list and I think now they still have but they have more vacancy because they moved to a new place last year or the year before, can't remember. I have a friend whose child is in this school, I heard from my friend that they are very good. I think currently they have one case of HFMD. My friend told me they keep having one case and then cycle broken then one case and then cycle break again, so I suppose the school is quite clean and good at breaking the cycle of the HMFD other kids bring into the centre (haha), since Singapore HMFD is at epidemic level now? I wanted to enrol my child into this centre but too bad, I live in the far far east.

My daughter is in EB Yishun since July 2011 when she was 20 months, now she is in N1. I would say I like the environment and the teachers there, they are caring and teachers always feedback to me about my daughter's progress, be it good or bad.

There was numerous cases of HFMD happened in N1 classes for the past 2 months, but the school managed to break the cycle everytime.

Every morning the teacher will do the routine check for all kids and visitors at the entrance, then they will do the temperature check for kids at least 2 times in a day. Parent are required to bring back and clean the pillow bag everyday. The school will clean and furniture and toys everyday as well.

hi koip teh

is the sch strict in sending back children who are found with ulcers/spots home?

n was yr child placed on waiting list or she could get a place instantly?

is the turnover rate for teacher high?

how much did you pay per mth?

@ jkids, just to share the school is strict and will call parents to bring the child back. In meanwhile, the child will be isolated from the rest of the class to prevent further spreading of illness. The teacher turn over rate is not high.

Depend on class, mine is in toddler class and there is a waiting list.

@ koip teh, kuddos to the teachers and staff of eb that they are able to break the cycle = )

@jkids,
For me, I was blessed. Able to get in right away as it was the begining of the class and only 3 classes for toddlers.

Previously was with LSH@OCC for less than 2 weeks

jkids,

When my gal enrolled last year July, they were just moved to that premise for not long, thus have vacancy for toddler class, so not in waiting list at all.

As we are not Sporean, so without subsidy we pay $920/month.

The school always have excursion for kids, and organise some events to get parent involves, which I personally like it.

but the combine class for N2, about 21 kids vs 1 teacher. I let my girl try the class for 1 day. then i decided to take her out. i dont like the way that they bath children.

I inside the centre for 1 whole day saw many things that i can't accept.

Now i enroled my girl at cherie heart. must more better. ( i attend with my girl more than 1 week in cherie heart. I saw between these 2 centre so much different.)

i pay $560 after subsidy.

Can I find out if kids in the toddler class manage to learn much? Cos I notice that most of the time seem to be taken up by care-giving, and teaching seems to be like a by-the-way kinda thing.. or are my expectations too high?

1) When the only 1 teacher having lesson, childrens just walk in and out, without teacher permission. Teacher saw it, but ignored. She can't handle bcos, too many kids. more than 20 kids ( for N2 class, been told this is trainning class. Eager beaver have total 3 class, 1-12kids vs 1 teacher-normal class, then 2 class combine so called trainning class, only 1 teacher handle, the other teacher walk in and out dont know go where)

2. All the kids remove clothes, convert by towel walk far end to the bath room. 1 Teacher let the shower on, 2 or 3 kids bath themselves, teacher standing near the door just take the towel dry the body and convert them let me walk back to the class. Many kids didnt convert properly, botom part still hanging outside (boy) I afraid the kids will get cold. towel too long, touching the floor when walking, kids easily fall down. But seem like teacher just want to be fast, 1 teacher bath 20+kids. she have to be fast. The other Chinese teacher, sitting inside the classroom, holding the bowl having lunch, just used the loud voice, tell the kids faster dry and wear the cloth by themselves. Kids dint dry properly but still wear the clothe, so I can see they are wearing half wet shirt and pants.

3. apple dint peel off skin, some parent claimed that the skin nutrient. but if didnt clean properly, it will bring harm too. I dont like.

4. While sleeping time, all N2 trainning class move to the other room to sleep. Aircon very cold, even 2 teacher also wearing jacket. 1 N1 kid sitting out of the door of N1 classroom. crying, nobody bother about her. I ask the teacher why? teacher said she refuse to sleep. so just let her sit alone outside the classroom. (if i'm her mummy, my heart will feel damn pain, how can the teacher let this small kid less than 3years old sitting outside for so long, check they sleeping time? how many hours?? pity her)

after compare so many cc, i really lower down my expectation alot.

kinderbueno (kinderbueno),

you dont need to expect more. last time i also like that. now, i dont bother already.

In cherie heart, i let my girl attend the morning chinese and english lesson. reach school b4 9am. my girl refuse to eat and sleep in school. so everyday i have prepare her lunch to bring to sch.

12.30-3.30pm nap time she just laying down but refuse to sleep. so I bring her back about 1 or 2pm. reach home bath her, feed her rice then let her sleep at home. normally in cc, after nap time more for playing time. no lesson.

purpose to let her join the class, play wit friend and learn something only. bcos she is only girl at home. so lonely.

sembwang mummy...
thanks for sharing. but u meantt to say, boy and girls arenot seperated when they bath? all naked and look at one another?

My son has been with EB since last year & I've no reason to complain about the school & teachers. Take a look at the pictures & comments in their facebook, you shall see how happy & grateful are the children & of cuz parents too.
My boy often talks to me about the fun he has with his teachers & friends, sometimes he even pretends to be his favorite teacher and treats me like one of the kid ^_^
Regarding the towel being too small...isn't it the responsibilty of the parents to ensure that they bring a proper size towel for the child? I always ensure my son has a warm enough blanket, jacket and socks for his nap time. If the parents aren't co-operating, there is just so much the teachers can do.
Anyway, to see if your kid is suitable & likes a school (which is more important), it's best to make a trip there with your kid. That's what I did, my son told me he wants to stay there the very 1st day and I knew I've made the right choice
happy.gif

My baby is 9 month old and as this is the year of dragon (expecting a baby boom), I've started to research on child care centres / kindergartens in Yishun/Sembawang area. Right now, she doesn't know a thing. But if I leave it till too late, I'm afraid I can't secure a place for her when she reaches 2.5 yr old, when I intend to send her.

Is it kia-su of me to start now? By the time I actually choose one, I think it'll be when she is about 1 yr old next yr. So 1.5 yr on the wait list, is it too exaggerating? Should I wait till she is older and more aware then bring her around?

jkids (jkids) ,

they bath all boy or girl first. then cover by the towel walk back to the class room. they wear their clothes in the class. ofcos they can see each other naked.

ChengChengMummy ,

your son under which class? for K1 above i would say better, bcos they are big enough to take care themselves, some i saw, dare to fight back to teacher.

ya, better stay wholeday to see the sitution. the school or teacher good or no good. whether they are pretend to be good? everything you can feel it. choose the good cc, dont let our kids suffer. facebook happy pic or ppl comment just for guide only.

kellymum, my son is in N2. I can understand where you are coming from, I am too a protective mummy. I stayed in the school & observed them like a hawk for his 1st 3 days (N1) & found no complains, instead all I can see are the smiles & happiness in each child's face. I've also observed that all the teachers, even aunties are able call out each child's name from all the different classes. This shows how much care they have for each individual child.
Until today, my son is still grinning on his way to & back from school. I ask him for daily feedbacks, such as what do teachers teach, what did they eat, is he happy and so far, I've not heard anything negative. In terms of self-care, I would rather my son be independent. Now my son dresses himself and sometimes helps to fold the laundry. I believe every parent should teach their child to take care of themselves, be it at home or in school
happy.gif

my 2nd gal was enrolled with eb@yishun since dec 2010 and in the toddler class and she is still there, right now in n2 class. 3rd one going there in dec this year.

so far, i am pleased with their service as they are pretty open with feedback. in the recent ptm, we met the teachers and we understand it as twining class and not training class. my husband and i did question them on this issue, at the end of their explanation, we can accept it- at times they do big group teaching and that is both classes combine. i understand from my gal, they also attend to some children individually on their work. my gal is pretty chatty, she will tell us lots of things happening in school and she is happy there always mentioning some bff.

glad to know that they move the children to another class for nap cos we also feedback that the class is too small for nap time at the recent ptm.we pack a jacket for my gal everyday. so far she did not tell us about the aircon being too cold.

probably the issue on walking back to class during bathtime could be there is report on hfmd. EB on the good side has been stringent in practise when even 1, 2 case of reported hfmd, they will email to us, send out circular. they will state on circular classes will be isolated even for bath OR else they change at the room nearest to the bath area.

sorry for my long windedness, since i have a chance to be home to read forum..hee hee and participate.

my nephew has just joined eb 2 months ago in toddler class. my sil is happy with their service too.

kellymummy,need some advice from u.if i understand correctly, your dear is attending childcare but you prepare her lunch and bring her home. why don't u send her to those kindergarten with shorter hours like pcf. i am contemplating to work from home or even be a sahm in 3 years time.so whether cc or kindergarten is more feasible? thanks and let's press on

dora03 (dora03) ,

my girl from pcf to cherie heart. she dont want to go back to old school. she so scare of her form teacher.

she also dont want to go EB, only prefer CH. I also keep asking her back to pcf.

4.5yrs kids really hard to force her. she struggle dont want to go. I really run out of ideas. just follow what she want to do. make me tired.

ChengChengMummy ,

the 1st 3days, you mentioned, was together with all the mummy? or you also join in middle of year ?

any ideas how to convince my girl back to pcf? my girl last time kena scold by her form teacher in diff language, she can feel the teacher dont like her. so scare her, dont want to go there any more.

hi kellymummy, you just have to press on. from my personal experience, children of this age still can't make decision but they know how to get their way. like cheng cheng mummy mentioned she is a protective mummy, me too! but when i see my child under EB training, becoming independent with the equipping of life skills, i know i have made the right choice to put her at a good childcare.

kudos to the teachers, it is really not easy to be a childcare teacher, taking care of their studies and routines. my child enjoys school and she just shared with us on what they had for children's day and mid autumn activity. as a full time working mum, i have to really depend on all these good teachers to create a learning atmosphere for my child.

Hi Dora03, ya super tired to take care of kids. I even wake up early to cook, prepare her lunch box (rice) and tea break (bread, biscuit, milk) for her to bring school.

9-5pm only. she can't sleep in sch, dont like school food.

i worry she too tired if didnt sleep and eat well in school.

430pm faster take her back and bath her to let her sleep.

slowly train her to be indenpent.. these few month really so tired. dont have any own time.

luckily cherie heart teacher and principal willing to help, i always call up to check her situation.

so pity, when nap time always stand up keep looking at door and window want me to fetch her. she too scare to sleep in new environment.

Hihi... just saw this thread... Though I guessed you have already found the Childcare... just wish to throw in my 2 cents worth..

My girl is currently in K1 at EB BM... She has been there since N1 (second half of the year). I think she really like the school coz she will even ask me to bring her to school sometimes on sat.. forgetting that its a sat and she doesnt have to go to school... She learns to be independent at the school too..

I saw one of the mummies wrote abt the bathing.. I dunno which EB or CC you are at.. but i often drop by at different hours to check on my girl last year.. they only take off their clothings when its their turn .. though they have to dry and wear clothings themselves since N2 midway.. the bathroom and the halls are non airconditioned.. the rooms are airconditioned though...
I know Tr Vanessa too.. I am not quite sure why your hubby thinks she is not too sincere.. but i can say that she is great with kids and the kids love her...
I think ultimately have to depends what your child feels about the place... our feelings are secondary... I have search cc for almost a year before i enrolled her into EB BM and I am surely glad i did.. =)

Cheers...

dora03 (dora03) , thanks.

i withdraw my gal fr cherie heart. now stick to 309 canberra (PAP) sch. 4hours session class.

finally settle down. she happily go sch everyday.
come back sing,dance, read story book.. seem like very enjoying the sch time.

K1 start to have homework to bring home every week? also 2 story books (chinese and english).

now already feel stress to monitor her homework, also start to teach her math and spelling for wording.... hope she can pick up fast, last 6months skip many lessons.

hi

those who has gone to the yishun branch for a visit b4 signing up...did they restrict you what time to visit? they told me to visit from 2-330pm on weekday or sat weekend. isnt this the nap time? whats there to see at this hour?

Hi,

They mntioned the time to visit so that it will not be disruptive to those children routine in CC.

For me, I visit them during other hrs so maybeu can just check with teacher ruby ya.

Back