Ammenities in some Private Hospitals

First Parents-to-be,

Do consider that its possible it is just "Business-as-usual" you are likely to enter with some hospitals. If you are pro-natural birth, do check with a few more friends and colleagues who have experience with the same Gynae. However, Gynae is a specialized profession, and should be given full faith in their profession.

1. Hospital Amenities & Bill transparency
Well, do enough research through hospital tours. Even through normal hospitalisation, you may find better hospital amenities in Mount Elizabeth Novena, Mount Avernia and to some extend Gleneagles. I had 3-4 operations through sports injury and I personally find the services in Mount E Orchard, Gleneagles top notch.

We decided to stick to Thomson as that's where our Gynae is based. Gynae mentioned that its preferred that Thomson be the place where we deliver. However, when we insisted that Mount Elizabeth Novena gave us better overall services, Gynae mentioned that its possible to travel there for us. In the end, we chose Thomson, hearing that its best to convenient your Gynae. Furthermore, the long-standing reputation of Thomson is something we trust upon.......

Bill transparency: We were billed for companion stay, even when the package says companion is covered for Premium Single package. So do check your final bill on what is charged correctly. Also, TMC counted the number of days using the time of baby delivered. For instance, if you sign up for a 4D3N package and your baby is delivered at 10.50 pm before their 11 pm cut-off timing, the first night counted would be the night of delivery. Getting charged one night for 10 minutes stay is not correct? Surely, more compassionate treatment should be given, on case-to-case basis? Afterall, a healthy mum is what we want at end of day.

2. Really Pro-Natural Birth? Yes, Gynaes are mostly pro-Natural.

My Gynaes, both Paul Tseng and Eunice Chua, were really reassuring, clear in delivering their assessments at the labor ward. They gave sufficient supporting evidence for us to consider C-Section, even though we were Pro-Natural. Great assessment from Paul: "Oh well, we can try for natural birth. but if there are complications which I think it is the likely scenario, then u end up with C sect eventually. Why wait another day?"

Paul did an exceptionally great job on day of Op. He was clear in delivering his assessment, and knew exactly what he was doing in the theatre. Execution was swift and baby was out in 20 minutes. Stable hands and stitching was great.

Well, there is no breach at all, as the baby head was already down at the third Trimester. They could induce natural birth, but I understand that some minority group of doctors are not pro-natural as it involve them possibly having to deliver at odd hours. Unless the risk of losing the baby due to complication is high, which in our case was high, I would think natural birth should be always considered. Surely, 5-10% risk to the baby is quite manageable? Even Natural birth has some % of risk too right?

The feedback from friends, is that some head of Gynaes or lecturers in Thomson, NUH and KKH especially, have top percentile hit ratio for natural birth. Even in cases when there are breaches, there are massage therapies / unconventional methods they would recommend to tilt the baby head down. C-Sect is surely not the only solution for many cases, unless assessed as a genuine case of emergency. Our two Gynaes were great and professional, and would certainly recommend them to Pro-Natural parents.

Unless the risk of complication is assessed by your gynae to be high, you just have to just stay firm on your ground and insist to go Natural. Always Trust your gynae assessment

I am sure most parents or elderly would concur with going with Natural birth.

Last edited:

Back