All about CERVICAL INCOMPETENCE

Right now, i m living in fear everyday. I m scare that i will miscarriage again. So i give up my work, having bed rest daily at home. I hope that i can survive to at least 28weeks. Becausey doc said only after week 28, then the bb chance of surviving is high. But the bb will still have to stay in icu with tubes all over. I prayed everyday now, hope that i can survive thru because it is really not easy to be bed rest at home when i don really have someone to take care of me. But i am also not so rich to stay in hospital for months.
best of luck to u my dear.. i can imagine how paranoid i would be if i’m blessed with another baby.. do u mind sharing which gynae are u seeing at tmc? the one who put the cerclage for u..

best of luck to u my dear.. i can imagine how paranoid i would be if i’m blessed with another baby.. do u mind sharing which gynae are u seeing at tmc? the one who put the cerclage for u..

I m under doc SF Loh. He helped me with my 1st bb, but miscarriaged. N this 2nd bb also. I like his working attitude, but because he is alway busy, so i alway have to memorise my questions n ask him in 1 go. If not, he will quickly send u out of his room..

Do consider the following

have your meals and drinks by your bedside, so you get to eat n drink all in bed

getting a bed pan so u juz do everything in bed, get toiletries by your side and ask hubby to help wipe your body and clear your waste when he is back. This is to maximize the pregnancy positiveness.

prop up your lower body

Right now, i m living in fear everyday. I m scare that i will miscarriage again. So i give up my work, having bed rest daily at home. I hope that i can survive to at least 28weeks. Becausey doc said only after week 28, then the bb chance of surviving is high. But the bb will still have to stay in icu with tubes all over. I prayed everyday now, hope that i can survive thru because it is really not easy to be bed rest at home when i don really have someone to take care of me. But i am also not so rich to stay in hospital for months.
I m under doc SF Loh. He helped me with my 1st bb, but miscarriaged. N this 2nd bb also. I like his working attitude, but because he is alway busy, so i alway have to memorise my questions n ask him in 1 go. If not, he will quickly send u out of his room..
i see... thanks for ur reply.. will go check on dr loh

hi all, this is gonna be a long post..

i lost my boy last month at 22w5d.. it’s not been easy everyday as i miss his kicks and can’t forget how small and fragile he felt in my arms as my husband and i said our goodbyes.

everything happened so suddenly as all my scans and tests were fine including oscars and the 20wk scan. went to see my gynae at tmc becos of some discharge and was told it was yeast infection, tho i felt that the discharge was not as thick or whitish like a normal yeast infection, i believed i shld be fine since she has checked me below. also told her tat i have some cramps at the vaginal which she also assured me it’s normal. went back to her one wk later since the discharge were still there and she was abt to send me off after inserting another pill for the yeast when i told her i experienced some cramps again the day before and insisted she checked. and that was the start of my nightmare. i was already 2cm dilated and she could see my water bag. was immediately administered progesterone orally and thru jab and admitted to tmc. was den advised by my gynae to trf to KKH as class C becos if my baby was to make it to 24w, it would need nicu and it’s $2k/day in tmc. so after 2 nites in tmc i trfed to KKH which was a total mistake.

from the moment i arrived NONE of their medical staff gave me hope and the feeling that they were there to help. instead, they kept repeating tat they would only resuscitate the baby if he is 24wks etc.. i was sent to the delivery ward directly and one moment the senior consultant and her whole team of new MOs were there checking ultrasound and even the dilation despite my objection (had been checked too many times which is not advisable), as soon as i started vomiting they cleared the room! did not even bother to call a nurse to help me clean up! i delivered my baby the following morning and they told me they would send my placenta for test.

went back to KKH for review and was told the placenta tested positive for acute chorioamnionitis, which is likely the cause for the MC, however, they also can’t rule out IC becos i was already dilated when i first saw them. was then told tat for the next pregnancy, they would refer me to the high risk team at KKH. my gynae at tmc also said the same thing tat if i were to go back to her, i would be monitored closely and on hosp leave from wk12 onwards..

i’m very lost rite now as i can’t move on without knowing wat caused the MC.. also super worried abt my next pregnancy if i’m really having IC.. any ladies have similar experience to share? would u recommend seeing the high risk team at KKH or do u have other private drs specializing in high risk pregnancies such as IC to recommend? i really need a third opinion and the directions on how to manage the next pregnancy...

I had the same experience early last year, miscarriage my twins at 22 weeks. Then again i was pregnant via ivf with a singleton end of last year, i didnt ask the gynae to perform cerlage on me because i am not sure if i had cervical incompetence but gynae will check on my cervix length from time to time. I feel that we do not need to see high risk gynae, what we need to do is to find a gynae who is always available to see us and in the meantime we have to monitor all the weird discharge we might experience. At 24 weeks, i notice some jelly like diacharge and i immediatelt went to my gynae and he check and told me the mucus plug had came off and i am slightly dilated. An emergency cerclage was arranged on the next day. I was bed resting most of the time , only get up to bathe and had my meals. Now my baby was 4.5 months old sleeping beside me. So i will suggest to do the cerclage early if you had mid trimester miscarriage b4.

I had the same experience early last year, miscarriage my twins at 22 weeks. Then again i was pregnant via ivf with a singleton end of last year, i didnt ask the gynae to perform cerlage on me because i am not sure if i had cervical incompetence but gynae will check on my cervix length from time to time. I feel that we do not need to see high risk gynae, what we need to do is to find a gynae who is always available to see us and in the meantime we have to monitor all the weird discharge we might experience. At 24 weeks, i notice some jelly like diacharge and i immediatelt went to my gynae and he check and told me the mucus plug had came off and i am slightly dilated. An emergency cerclage was arranged on the next day. I was bed resting most of the time , only get up to bathe and had my meals. Now my baby was 4.5 months old sleeping beside me. So i will suggest to do the cerclage early if you had mid trimester miscarriage b4.
thanks for the advice.. i do wish that they incorporate the check on cervical length during the 20 wk detailed scan.. i mean it’s one of th most common cause for 2nd tri losses..

can i ask wat kind of bed rest u were on? as in just lying on ur bed at home? do u need to make sure that ur hip is elevated?

I just place a pillow on my hip area to let it elevated a bit. I was lying on the bed most of the time. I get out of bed only for meals and bathe. I try to sit on the chair when bathing and even go out for gynae visit in wheelchair.on top of that, i wore loose boxers to prevent infection. So far it works for me.

yea i’m praying that i do not have IC but in any case i’ll definitely watch for my cervical length.. thanks so much for sharing!

Actually my cervix length is normal throughout my pregnancy but cervix just dilated at 24 weeks. I was being advised to go for cerclage surgery after i got preg regardless of whether i have ic or not just to play safe but i did not listen. I thot by monitoring the length is good enough but i was wrong. Luckily i am alert enough to notice that my mucus plug came off, if i am not alert enough, i might miscarriage again. Thanks god, my baby is delivered safely.

Hi all. I was diagnosed with IC and havent checked up on IC for a long time till recently.
Just something to share..

I had a 17week MC in May-2015, where i had some brownish discharge (which was thought to be infection), followed by bleeding and preterm contractions (which i stupidly thought to be braxton-hicks). After that, my gynae diagnosed me to be with IC.

For my second pregnancy in Aug-2015, i went for cerclage at 13weeks. Luckily the pregnancy went smoothly after the cerclage where i still could go work as usual but with minimal physical activity. But at 31weeks, i had preterm contractions again and was dilated (maybe i was busy-ing with my new flat). Shortly a week later, i gave birth at 31 weeks to my boy. Thank goodness, he is well and healthy now.

Im now TTC for my second one. People say the tiring part starts after delivery. But to me, the pregnancy process is the most dreaded part. It is living in fear every single day. I was living week by week for my second preg.

Anyway i did join a FB support group for IC but it was mostly folks for the states. Think it is rare in singapore. Just wondering if we all can set a whatsapp group to discuss about IC in singapore?

Hi all. I was diagnosed with IC and havent checked up on IC for a long time till recently.
Just something to share..

I had a 17week MC in May-2015, where i had some brownish discharge (which was thought to be infection), followed by bleeding and preterm contractions (which i stupidly thought to be braxton-hicks). After that, my gynae diagnosed me to be with IC.

For my second pregnancy in Aug-2015, i went for cerclage at 13weeks. Luckily the pregnancy went smoothly after the cerclage where i still could go work as usual but with minimal physical activity. But at 31weeks, i had preterm contractions again and was dilated (maybe i was busy-ing with my new flat). Shortly a week later, i gave birth at 31 weeks to my boy. Thank goodness, he is well and healthy now.

Im now TTC for my second one. People say the tiring part starts after delivery. But to me, the pregnancy process is the most dreaded part. It is living in fear every single day. I was living week by week for my second preg.

Anyway i did join a FB support group for IC but it was mostly folks for the states. Think it is rare in singapore. Just wondering if we all can set a whatsapp group to discuss about IC in singapore?
i totally agree with u.. if i’m blessed w another baby, i would go through the pregnancy counting the days.. having lost my baby at 22w5d last mth..

yes a whatsapp group would be great! me too had difficulties finding local info when i was researching about IC in singapore.. we shld come together and share our experiences and knowledge.. so tat our lives (future pregnancies) may be made a little more bearable..

i totally agree with u.. if i’m blessed w another baby, i would go through the pregnancy counting the days.. having lost my baby at 22w5d last mth..

yes a whatsapp group would be great! me too had difficulties finding local info when i was researching about IC in singapore.. we shld come together and share our experiences and knowledge.. so tat our lives (future pregnancies) may be made a little more bearable..

PMed u.

I have been spotting on off after my cerclage. Is there anyone who keep having spotting, yet manage to give birth at later stage? I m worried becos this is my 2nd pregnancy, n age is catching up. I don have alot of time left.

I have been spotting on off after my cerclage. Is there anyone who keep having spotting, yet manage to give birth at later stage? I m worried becos this is my 2nd pregnancy, n age is catching up. I don have alot of time left.[/QUOTE

Light spotting is very common after cerclage .. as Long as u don’t have any bad cramps n other noticeable symptoms ..I had same kind of experience , my cerclage was done on 14weeks, gave induced birth at 38 weeks ..

I had gotten cervical cerclage done earlier this year. Previously I have had one miscarriage and one uterine surgery, and I'm in my mid-thirties so I was already a high-risk pregnancy case when we found that I need to go for cervical cerclage procedure. However, with God's grace things went ok and I was able to carry this pregnancy to term. Sharing my doctor reference and experience with the cervical cerclage. I'm mentioning this in short, if anyone wants more details will be happy to share.

Doctor and hospital:
I was very lucky to have found a great doctor who saw me through the ups and downs of this pregnancy. She not only diagnosed cervical incompetence in time, but also took the right decisions and gave us right guidance when we were confused, which is key for ladies who dont have a normal straight-forward pregnancy. Both the cerclage procedure and C-section were done at KK hospital under Dr J M Lee (Dr Lee Jiah Min). I can recommend both KK and Dr Lee based on my experience. I was admitted to KK twice in ward A and was impressed by the care given by the nurses. And Dr Lee was Godsent for me. She understood my physical and emotional state and was very understanding, attentive and careful throughout the pregnancy. In fact she was the only doctor in my entire life, who immediately gave me her mobile number so I can reach out to her for any urgent situations.

Cervical cerclage: Received information and guidance from my gynae as well as various forums. Based on that took the following precautions.

- Diagnosed IC around 12th week and within 3-4 days cerclage was done. I was in hospital for 3 days. I took some solution for UTI before the surgery. There was some bleeding for 2-3 days after the procedure as expected.
- Took modified but strict bed-rest for 6-7months. Used to leave home only for doctor visits. At home used to be on bed at all times except my toilet needs only. Initially was even having meals on bed. Used to take wheelchair at hospital as well. Definitely no bending, squating for any reason.
- Drank a lot of water and monitored urine (color and sensation while passing urine). Was cautious about any burning or itching sensation to identify possible infections.
- Don't strain or put pressure at all to pass motion, even if you are constipated. My doctor had given stuff for constipation.
Basically don't allow any pressure on the cervix - whether by yourself (eg. straining to toilet) or through gravity (by standing or walking a lot)

As someone mentioned on this thread, I was also living in fear everyday and it was a tough time. I was borderline paranoid but found hope and courage from other successful stories also found on another thread in this forum. Just wishing the best to all the ladies who have to go through this. Stay positive!

I too had a miscarriage n from that miscarriage, I was diagnosed to be having an incompetent cervix. 3 mths after the miscarriage, I was pregnant again n I went on to deliver a full term baby girl with a preventive cerclage placed at 14 weeks. My gynae monitored me closely n I did not go on full bedrest during pregnancy. Fellow IC mummies, press on and your rainbow will definitely come!

Hi ladies. I had a miscarriage last month due to CI as well.

During my 17th-18th week pregnancy, I was having some thick greenish mucus discharge. I did not think much of it.
1 day i wiped myself after urinating and saw some blood. I rushed to the hospital immediately to check and the doc told me that I am already 2cm dilated, can see the water bag. I had to stay in the hospital for a night.

The next morning, did an ultrasound and found out that it's 4cm dilated. Doc say cannot do cerclage because water bag is near to cervix. There was nothing I can do.

At midnight (on the same day) I had some pains and felt the urge to push. Finally, out came my baby when I can no longer hold it in. I was 19 weeks pregnant.

This is my first pregnancy, conceived naturally.

I did not know anything about CI prior to this.

Please recommend me any good gynae for CI and any TCM for such issues?

I would like to join CI support/whatsapp groups as well. Please PM me. Thank you.

Hi ladies. I had a miscarriage last month due to CI as well.

During my 17th-18th week pregnancy, I was having some thick greenish mucus discharge. I did not think much of it.
1 day i wiped myself after urinating and saw some blood. I rushed to the hospital immediately to check and the doc told me that I am already 2cm dilated, can see the water bag. I had to stay in the hospital for a night.

The next morning, did an ultrasound and found out that it's 4cm dilated. Doc say cannot do cerclage because water bag is near to cervix. There was nothing I can do.

At midnight (on the same day) I had some pains and felt the urge to push. Finally, out came my baby when I can no longer hold it in. I was 19 weeks pregnant.

This is my first pregnancy, conceived naturally.

I did not know anything about CI prior to this.

Please recommend me any good gynae for CI and any TCM for such issues?

I would like to join CI support/whatsapp groups as well. Please PM me. Thank you.

when u get pregnant again, try dr cathryn chan of astra women. she ever saved a baby where her leg was already sticking out with the water bag. she used some balloon method to push the bag back to the womb. she told me she learn thst technique back in uk.

when u get pregnant again, try dr cathryn chan of astra women. she ever saved a baby where her leg was already sticking out with the water bag. she used some balloon method to push the bag back to the womb. she told me she learn thst technique back in uk.
hi Karmaplaysitall,

what about dr henry cheng from astra? any reviews on dr cheng?

Hi. Is she your gynae..? the one you mentioned cerclage at 14 weeks.

Hi, very sorry to hear about this. I'm on a WhatsApp group for recurrent miscarriages but not due to incompetent cervix. I have lost two pregnancies due to this, once with a cerclage that failed and that cause me to have high fever and blood infection. :( DM me if you want to chat. Think tamjiaksmommy is in the same boat too.

Karmaplaysitall was really lucky to have found the right doctor for this!

Hi, thanks for sharing and happy to hear that you beat IC. Can I ask did your doctor check on your cerclage/cervix after the surgery? Mine poked inside with a gloved finger (he didn't use a surgical glove but used one of those cheap flimsy plastic gloves that I use in the kitchen for marinating food with!) and hurt me so much and the next day I bled a huge clot, was admitted, then miscarried with the stitch broken in me.

Hi,

Is Your IC WhatsApp group still around?

Hello.. ended up we din have a whatsapp group becos only myself and another lady are chatting.. on and off.. I just had my preventive cerclage done. Feel free to let me noe if u have any questions..

Hi,

I just suffered a loss at 17 weeks due to IC. I intend to try again. May I know which gynae and hospital are you with? And which week did you do your preventive cerclage?

Hi,

I just suffered a loss at 17 weeks due to IC. I intend to try again. May I know which gynae and hospital are you with? And which week did you do your preventive cerclage?

So sorry abt your loss dear.. I was seeing both dr henry cheng of astra Women’s ans prof biswas of nuh.. den decided to stick w prof biswas.. preventive cerclage is best done by wk 14 or 15.. mine was done at 14.5wk.. I stayed in the hospital for 3 nites and (touch wood) no bleeding so far.

So sorry abt your loss dear.. I was seeing both dr henry cheng of astra Women’s ans prof biswas of nuh.. den decided to stick w prof biswas.. preventive cerclage is best done by wk 14 or 15.. mine was done at 14.5wk.. I stayed in the hospital for 3 nites and (touch wood) no bleeding so far.

Hi.. is your cerclage done by Prof Biswas..?
How are you so far?

I was diagnosed with IC during my first pregnancy and now I'm going thru my second. In 13th weeks now and everything is just so stressful. Had the cervical length check last week n it seemed fine for now. My doctor recommends that we monitor for the time being. I'm really unsure if I should go ahead with a cerclage or just go on full bed rest...

To mummies who are going thru the same, praying for the best for all of us!

I was diagnosed with IC during my first pregnancy and now I'm going thru my second. In 13th weeks now and everything is just so stressful. Had the cervical length check last week n it seemed fine for now. My doctor recommends that we monitor for the time being. I'm really unsure if I should go ahead with a cerclage or just go on full bed rest...

Hi, may i know which hospital and doctor are you visiting? Have you done LEEP before which causes IC?

For first pregnancy, I was with TMC, but was transferred to KKH after diagnosed with IC. Was with KKH's high risk team n under Dr Shepali. Now im with Dr Wendy Teo at Mt E novena. She is very careful n supportive.. will monitor my cervical length when needed.

For mine, I still don't know what caused my IC. Didn't do any surgery before...

Are you still working? I guess being on a full bed rest is a good idea for now... which i planned to do if i get pregnant again. Like, quit my job and all. Can't risk a m/c again :(

I'm planning to take leave cos my job requires a lot of standing and walking.. was quite reluctant but anyone can replace us at work. Like what u said, don't wanna take anymore risk..

I'm planning to take leave cos my job requires a lot of standing and walking.. was quite reluctant but anyone can replace us at work. Like what u said, don't wanna take anymore risk..

Yes.. you should.. your baby is more important.. my previous job requires me to stand/walk alot. so i resigned after the m/c happened.
Take care dear, all the best to you.

Hi! Not sure if anyone will see this but I’m interested in a WhatsApp chat too! I had 2 preterm births (23 weeks but he didn’t make it, and 25 weeks my daughter) and am preggy again now and very nervous!

Hi! Not sure if anyone will see this but I’m interested in a WhatsApp chat too! I had 2 preterm births (23 weeks but he didn’t make it, and 25 weeks my daughter) and am preggy again now and very nervous!
There's no whatsapp group but you can PM me for more info.

Did doc advise to do cerclage ard w13-14?

he didn’t :/ he said my case not sure is it really incompetent cervix and might be other cause to the preterm births. First one was due to contractions and infection and then water broke. Then the other one was because of hemorrhage (bleeding) of placenta and low lying placenta, also contractions and was dilated already. He saw my placenta results had some clots so give me blood thinner this pregnancy.My last visit was 12w now I’m 14.2 weeks alr and my next visit is Friday so he will check my cervix length and see what to do next. So far I’m also on vaginal progesterone. Started to get some cramps and braxton hicks recently

Back