Advice needed - Pacifiers a must??

Hi Mummies,

NOT advisable to put things like medicated oil or nail polish on pacifiers in attempts to wean your child off.

One way to wean your toddlers off Pacifier. When they bite off the pacifier, tell them that their pacifier is spoilt and get them to throw away their pacifier into the dustbin themselves.

When they look for it again, tell them that they have thrown it away, no more pacifiers. Keep reminding your child on this. They may get cold turkey for a few days and ultimately get weaned off.

I did that for my #1, she was weaned within a week. Now, my #2 is 19mths, she threw away her pacifier accidentally into the water feature pond in our house, I told her the same thing. Nearly succeeded after a week. But, my MIL gave in to her during afternoon naptimes. Now, she has been off pacifier at night, I am trying to completely wean her off soon.

Thanks for sharing the above link. Fortunately, my bb threw away his own pacifier one day and never wanted it again (13mths thereabout). He only used it for a few months when he was teething. There're a few around in the house and it's now 'toy food' for the stuffed toys. Once in a while he'll stuff it in just for laughs and pretend to be a baby.

Hi mumusings,
You're welcome! Well, that's good news to know that it was your baby not to use pacifiers anymore. Probably, your bb realized it doesn't have any taste at all.

my son used to be dependent on pacifiers (he was 6months to 1yr) but one day came and he doesn't look for the pacifier anymore.. but then from time to time he still uses this at night.. he used to be on pacifier most of the day before..

some moms put chili on the pacifiers so that the child wont look for it again.. others cut the tip of the pacifier..

My son threw away his pacifier when he was about 1.5 years old. He decided not to use it for somoe strange reason - maybe he doesn't want to look babyish hehehe?

Back