Advice Needed: Baby milk intake drop after switching to formula

My baby is 4.5mths now and have been on ebm for 4mths.
About 2 weeks ago I started to introduce milk formula (NAN HA1). Other than the bout of loose bowels for the initial few days (which I think his tummy is trying to adjust), he took it quite well.

However for the past 4 days we noticed something unusual.
When he was on bm, his average feed was 150ml x 7 times. He will cry for milk promptly every 3.5hrs, day and nite. But now, his average feed is only about 120ml and it has reduced to 6 feeds per day. He sleeps for longer stretches in the nite, and he no longer crys for milk thru the day. In fact, he doesnt seem hungry anymore. Sometimes we give him the bottle when the 4hrs is up and he will not be able to finish.

He appears rather grouchy, and is more interested to suck his hand more than anything else. He still poo 1-2 times a day.

We are worried that he is not drinking enough and not getting enuf nutrition. Fyi, he is about 7kg at 4mths.

Do you think there is a need for concern.

Hi,

I think he is alright. Formula milk usually makes the baby fuller than BM.

Sucking of hand may mean he is asking for comfort or he is teething. Given his weight at 4 mth at 7kg is a very gd weight.

Dont think HA is necessary unless he is allergy to milk.

Yes, BM is more water based as compared to fm thats why bb will need to drink more in order to feel fuller. Just monitor him. If his weight gain is progressing and he is still active, there is nothing to worry abt.

My gal is 4mths come tomorrow. She's oso not taking as much FM as she was previously. Sometimes she can stretch like 5-6 hrs for 1 feed & abt 150ml only. But she does slp a lot which many people tells me slping is better than milk. So now I oso let her be. As long as she's hungry she'll drink else if I feed her when 3 hrs up, she will play with her milk.

Starlight,
I'm oso very worried that she's not getting enuf nutrition. But I guess as long as they're not under weight & not crying non-stop then it means they're fine. Better than letting them play with milk.... LOL

Back