Advice Needed: Any Mummy who put baby in infant care centre ?

hi Mrs Chua,

where's e IFC that u place yr bb at?

hi Everyone,

i'm living at AMK n working at TPY. also like Ivy, wonder if any recommendation of IFC or nanny at TPY? (my coll experienced bad attitudes of e ntuc one at - older ntuc outlet bside Zhonghua TCM at TPY central)..also looking ard at AMK, me at Ave 10..

hihi,
i want some feedback...

for infant and CC...aircon is better or non-aircon is better for children?

hi cloudme

it depends wat u prefer. some people say those with aircon will get virus spread easily. i place my kids in aircon cc. cause i think those with aircon has better facilities.

hi anyone can help me with this scenario or anyone with the same problem with me, please advise

my 2 years old currently in child care. i am planning to put my 9mths son in infant care soon as now he is with my MIL. have conflicts with MIL so thinking to put my son in infant care.

1. my 9 mths is having formula milk, will he prone to more virus in infant care.
2. how to prepare food for both my kids for their dinner. i reach home around 6.10pm.
3. how to take care of them after work. how to feed both of them dinner? my husband only reach home around 7.20pm.
4. how to take care of 2 kids alone the whole day on weekends?

i have to consider all these b4 i decide to put my 9mths old in infant care.

please help

hi grace,
my 9mth dd is in infant care centre for about 6mths already. Yes, she has running nose & cough quite frequently. It happen to all the babies there...very common. Think positively, it helps to buildup her immune system.
I usually have my dinner first before I pick her. Her dinner will be steamed potato/sweet potato/pumpkin (take about 5-15min) or cereal.

hello, how do you go about choosing the infant care for your babies? Our baby is due in end Oct'09 & we were thinking of putting baby near to my workpplace so that it won't be so rush after work to fetch her. Any comments/advice? THanks!

hi JK,

my bb will also be due end-Oct
happy.gif
& also keen to put bb in an IFC..

guess we hv to scout a few nearby ones (priority either home or workplace), visit e places & asks questions, then check e price & hours (incl of OT)..

i think e subsidiz is $300 for us. i hear that prices range frm $800 to over 1K depending on location..

For Singaporean, infant care subsidies is $600 (Full-day)...after deduction need to pay about $400-$600 depend the centre fee...U can use CDA to pay

Anybody needs a nanny @ Tampines St 11, please call me at 91596725 or email me at [email protected] Nanny is my mom who is qualified and used to work in a child care centre for many years. She can take care of babies from 1mth onwards starting from 1st September 09. Charges negotiable.

hi mummies, anyone can recommend infantcare centres in tanjong pagar/ raffles pl area?

so far selected Kinderland @ MND, Del-care and Learning vision.. any comments??

tks! me due in sept, gg enrol son in jan 09

Hi Cho,

I visited the 3 centres that you mentioned in your post in my search for an IFC for my baby due end of this month.

I think that Kinderland @ MND is a nice place, with a sufficiently big open area for kids to run around and an outdoor playground. They even have tricycles for the kids to ride around the compound. Good if you are considering to place your kid there even after 18 months. For the infantcare section, it is at a comfortable temperature and the caregivers seem nice enough. The babies look all right there too. Would think that price is reasonable too for a location in the town area.

For Del-care, I happened to visit during the kids' lunch time and it seemed overcrowded and chaotic. I didn't really like it. And if I didn't rememberly wrongly, it's quite pricely too.

As for Learning vision, the place seems all right and at that time, they are expanding to include the 2nd storey for their IFC services and would be able to take in more babies. Downside is that when the babies start on solid food, we would have to provide them with the food that we would like them to feed the babies with. Otherwise, they would just provide porridge (if i remember correctly).

In the end, my hb and I decided to enrol in an IFC nearer our home rather than our workplace as we can change jobs but probably wouldn't be moving house in the near future. Price is also lower than in the town area.

Hope it helps but I think the best way to decide is to visit the centres yourself and have a look.

Junior went to IFC when he's 2 months old. Initially it was hard. Everyday I had to rush off at around 5pm (I had flexi work hours) so that I could have dinner with hubby (couple time) and then pick junior by 6.30pm.

Back then, he sleeps latest by 8pm so it was quite a rush after work. As he grows older, he's sleeping later and now it's perfect - he sleeps latest by 8.45pm.

Additional info about how junior's ifc is operating, look here:

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/36738/2141972.html?1245309467

Hi Mummies

Those of u who put your BB in infant care, do u go and take a look during the day?
what is the usualy day activity for them like?
Like do they leave the baby crying as most of the ration is like 1to4 or 1 to3.. thanks to share.

Hi mummies, I wonder if IFC accepts EBM. As in can I express the milk daily and give them to fee my baby instead of formula?

I hardly pop by during the day la, cos I need to work. But I spend reasonably long time (45min to 1hr) at the centre while waiting for hubby to pick us up everyday.

For junior’s IFC, they don’t have a fix schedule but has a general guideline with meals and milk – e.g.

8.30 to 9.30am breakfast time for older infants who can eat cereal/porridge
9 – 10am bath time for all (except the sick)
11.30 – 13.30 lunch time for older infants who can eat noodles/porridge/pasta
2.30-3pm – milk time for all
4-4.30pm – tea break for those who are ‘graduating’ soon (to toddler/playgroup class)
5-6pm – milk time or dinner time (for those who order dinner).

The play and sleep will fall into the time gaps stated above and the minders will adjust the mum mum timing accordingly. E.g. if junior falls asleep at about 11am, then they would let him sleep till he wakes up or latest by 1.25pm. They need to wake him up as he would have slept enough for a nap and that the lunch is going cold. They have a best practice of “food is best eaten immediately”…

Or if he still has not napped by 11.20am, then they would serve him his lunch first so that he can nap there after.

As for activities, here are some activities that I have seen them doing:

- story telling: 2-4 babies will sit in high chair and listen to story telling session conducted by a teacher.
- Pops up or mega bloks play – older infants will learn to play and build with pops up or mega bloks
- Pretend play – kitchen set (complete with stove/microwave oven/sink), vacuum cleaner, music instruments (e.g. drum set, piano and xelophone) and doctor set (their teddy bear is always sick hahaha)
- Reading time: older infants will be grouped around to read. Each has a book with the teacher ‘demo’ how to read (she will hold on to a book and pretend to be reading. The babies will follow).
- Water play: they have a shallow container (1m x 1m x 10cm deep) where they put in toy boats, rubber ducks etc to play
- Stacker/shape sorter for the middle aged infants
- Magnetic doodle board/aqua doodle board: 2 or 3 older infants will be left with each having a doodle board to let them doodle.
- Playground (swing/slide only): each older infant gets private time (about 10min) with 1 teacher to play the swing and slide. This must be a 1:1 ratio as the teacher must pay close attention to the baby playing the swing/slide.
- Flashcard time: a few babies will sit together and a teacher will do flash cards with them. They are expected to express (by signing or verbalizing) what they see in the flashcards.

The young ones are very boring la. They are either left sitting in jumperoo/exsaucer, or with play gym or in bumbo seat and play with small teether toys. For the younger ones, if they can’t turn, they can’t play those water play mat. If they can’t sit, they can’t play jumperoo/exsacuer/bumbo seat.

At this centre that junior attends (and I assume others also operate like that), you can really see the teacher:babies ratio. They have 1 teacher to 3 infants and each group performs different activities. But they allow older infants (esp those who can walk/run very well) to mingle in between groups. So Junior being able to walk from 9mths, has the benefit of playing and running all over the place for a while and he gets to play more.

Sorry forgot to feedback on the “do they leave the baby to cry” –

Once, I caught them leaving my child crying in his bouncer. He was left alone at the feeding area (away from other infants as he was down with fever. Usually if it is not meal time, the feeding area is empty with only the teachers moving around). I am not sure how long he has been crying but since then, I have never seen them doing it to my child anymore.

When I do see them doing it to other children, there are usually 2 reasons:
- the baby is noti, so he/she is left alone as a punishment after a ‘scolding session’ from a teacher. After a few minutes, another teacher will ‘take over’ and ‘be the good man’ and reason out with the baby.
- Short handed. They would need some time (less than 15min) to readjust themselves by having 1 teacher take another baby into her story telling class for example) so that another teacher can attend to the crying baby (maybe due to soiled diaper or hunger).

Also, there’s another activity I forgot to mention –
- they go for walks. They have those strollers to ferry 2 babies at one go. 2 teachers will bring 4 babies in 2 strollers and usually 1 older infant (someone who is independent to navigate the stairs with help and be able to walk independently and listen to instruction e.g. don’t run, hold hand etc). The walks are usually around the centre, away from traffic. Junior’s ifc is in a building, so they walk along the building’s corridor outside the ifc.

Hi Fitti,

I think most ifc accepts EBM but many expect you to take care of the storing bit. For instance, you need to bring your own fridge to go and ice bar to maintain the EBM.

At junior’s ifc, they have a dedicated fridge for EBM (the mummies at this IFC all milk cows hahaha). This fridge is only for EBM and gripe water (each baby to supply their own). There are dedicated trays for each infant so that their EBM can be put into the tray and the teachers know which tray is for which infant.

Thanks Samantha, appreciate your reply. Now I have to start sourcing for IFC near my older son's school or near my home so I can sweep both of them up after work. =)

hi,

i visited a few at amk area. ntuc's my first skool is on waiting list now n fully air-conned at ~22degress. need to prepare each formula intake n dun take in formula milk in tin. this yr has more babies, prob due to being e tiger yr next year :p

private ones after 600bucks subsidy is slightly higher. i visited baby resort n e fees include e diapers. but this place is non air-con. do take in formula milk in tin.

maybe e max infants to take on is 16. ratio so far is ard 1:3 or 4 fm e collected info.

does anyone knows how does they "check" if u ar a full time woking mum? cos i am in search of a new job.. intend to resign, scared that if i really cannot find a job in time, the subsidy will be revoked..

I think they (MCYS) dont check actively. But they sure can check if they want - check your cpf got contribution or not (don't have may mean not working), check with your employer (as indicated in the form that you fill when u enrol your child for the ccc) - call your office to see u still around.

U may want to consider working part time while looking for a full time job if you scare the subsidy is revoked. Cos as long as u work 56 hours, then can claim full subsidy for working moms liao.

But I think they not so strict wan la - if you just one week unemployed, I dont think they so calculative lor...

Dun ever consider placing ur kids with The little Skool House.. have got super bad experience with them

Yeheyh, the little skool house has one centre at OCBC and Pearl Bank is it?

I always confuse the names for Little Skool House and the NTUC/PAP ccc (my first skool?)...

hihi. i haf got a comin to 2 mth old bb wanted to put her in infant care. bt abit worry. wld like to know at which age is best to put bb in??? cos she is still small not much activity onli slp at nite she will still able to slp??

Hi Sandy,

For such a young baby goign to infant care, be prepared that she may fall sick very often. My boy went to infant care since 2mths old. For the first 6 mths, we have to visit the PD almost every month for either sickness or vaccination.

Most often it's cold/runny nose/cough la, nothing serious. But still...
sad.gif
For young infants, when they have block nose, very jia lat. cos when they drink milk, they can't breathe. When they breathe, they can't suck milk. Very ke lian. Then they cry, cos they can't drink milk (so hungry) and then they can't breathe. The crying brings in air and then, they tummy ache. Super ma fan when they block nose. Oh yes, then at night, block nose then they got problem sleeping well.

No age is best or worst. It's up to the parents. But if you are working and infant care is the choice (i.e. no parent/pil/maid help), then I suggest u put the baby in 2 or 3 weeks before u start work. The baby so young, wont suffer separation anxiety or throw tantrum when u drop her off at the ctr but you may want to stay around to observe the staff and how your baby is coping in the ctr.

Have got this very bad experience with this school!! Veryfustrating!!! After much consideration, thinking tat such a 'big'organisation service provided shld not be worst off. I sent my BB totheir Infant care in her 3rd mth cos i need to go back to work. I sendher there one week earlier b4 i start work hoping she will get used tothe enviroment. I have heavy heart everyday when i bring her there orwhen i fetch her home. Y? Either her dirty clothes is mixed with cleanclothes or others bb stuff is inside my babybag (to bring hm daily forwashing), she is not fed properly & worst on the 4th days she gotfever! OMG... i cant imagine this happen so fast... All in the roomare infant!!! HOW MUCH VIRUS INFANT HAS?? I even c them ignore atoddler who is crying for almost 10mins until i told the teacher 'itink she poo'then she bother to éntetain her. I m a 1st timemother... for the passed 3mths i took care of her.. everyting is finebut send her there 4th days kena fever. Immediately, i got her outthen there is a refund for the fees i paid.. now she is coming 5thmth.. haha the refund is still with them.. i lost the school number sogot to call another branch for number.. guess wat... they dun have.. im so disappointed! such a big organisation tis is the type of ting igot! How comfortable can a mother be to send her kid to such a sch?Are the teacher there because they have passion or jus cos they wan toearn $ with other ppls'kid???

anyway the school i place my bb previously is 'THE LITTLE SKOOL HOUSE' fyi... i managed to call on Mon.. the principle answered my call & say will call back.. till today i have not even hear any call from her... how responsible the school is... u shld b able to tell rite?... ^_-

as for MCYS, it really depends on how on the OIC is. coz an OIC is allocated areas to look after. the OIC of MCYS looking after the area of which the childcare where my gal is do really go check.

i spoke to the OIC a few times, and she did really go to the child care to check with i feedback to her. i know coz facts telly.

she's also very nice, she told me to dial her DID if i've any problem. this way, i dun have to go thru the hotline - which normally u leave a number then they will get the OIC to return call (that takes like abt 3 biz days)

my baby girl started going to IFC at 2 months... bor bian lor, i have to return to work.

she started almost non-stop fall sick at 3 months+ old. Started with coughs and running nose. then to those streptoccal or those "cocal" family bacterial infection.

we were running to the PD, from monthly to weeks to weekly to even a few times in a week.

finally at 11m, PD told us to keep her home for min 1 month. coz she does recover, but e min she recover, she fall sick again. the 1 month staying out of the IFC is to allow her body to have some rest from falling ill.

that 1 month out from IFC did help a lot. after returning to IFC, after 1 week she did fall sick again, but thereafter, it was a good 1 month before she fell sick again. i think 1 month is reasonable for all children who goes to a school.

but note lor, it will be better for the kiddo to avoid going to school (even IFC) when on a course of anitibiotic. coz that is when the kiddo is weakest lor.

Found a nw job loh.. i be putting my boy into IFC coming nov liao.. he's 3mths.. hope everything will be smooth sailing..
happy.gif

ioroios
u frm aug 2009 thread???
so gd u found a IFC me still findin cant find a suitable de haiz
jia you everything will b alrite de
happy.gif

Hi Sandy,

yup, I 'm from Aug 09 thread, normally only read, selfdom post :p

Where u living.. i am in Jurong West
happy.gif

When u gg back to work? Take ur time to find a good n convnient IFC yah!

Hi,

im going to puy my bb (going to be 7th mths soon) into IFC next mon.pray hard for me. There's no "yao lan" in the IFC.

ioroios, u stay jur west? i stay in Jur west as well.May I know where u putting ur bb?

hehe... actually u quite fit the description of Nicholas. cos he's coming 7mths also.. :p

Agape is at which block? how much is the fees after MCYS subsidy?

haha..

agape is in jurong west ave 5.blk 274 it' 700 bucks after subsidy.

where is my first skool? i always mixed up my first skool with the little skool or something like tat..how much ur sch fees?

hi ioroios,
my gal is in My first skool in jurong west, not sure is the same IFC? my gal fall sick one the 2nd week i put her in, until now she has not recovered yet. she got running nose, blocked nose and cough.. i m so headache.. c a few doc, even admitted to kk, but it seem difficult to recover. currently rest at home now.

Hi Janiemin,
the school fees is $737.50 (with GST) after subsidy.. actually up till now, i am also abit mixed up.. hehe..

Hi Iyven, i put my boy in the one inside JP... urs? How come so serious? Admit to KK even.. Is she better now? Take good care

hi,
My gal is recovering now, much better. i think as long as is higher than 38 degree, will be admitted to KK since she is so small.

Ioroios,

U just put your child inside JP? You book way in advance? I cant manage to place my son in, its always full..

Back