About Cord Blood Donation

elvi_76

Hi to all,

Like to check whether any parents here opted for donation of their cord blood either to public via SCBB or private to Cordlife?

I only know about this from friends and did my own research as the hospital usually do not talk much about this.

Any opinions from parents who opted for this privately? Its not so cheap as its a one-time fees of S$1400 and recurrent fees of S$250 per year, payable up to 21 years.

As far as I know, you do not need to pay when you donate to SCBB as you cannot claim for it. It is for public use. When you sign up with Cordlife, you actually store the cordblood for future usage (in case you need it). And this is chargeable at the price you have stated. And it belongs to you.

Yup, was contemplating whether to subscribe to pte or donate to public...now still weighing the pros and cons...=)

hi berry!
i'm due next month and we've decided to donate to the public bank - we have a lot of doctor friends who have also all not banked their cord blood. the technology is pretty new in a way, and also it hasn't been widely used enough as of yet. also if it is going to be used for say leukemia, the leukemia has to be treated fully first before any cord blood can be used, and often these cancers are genetically linked, meaning that cord blood cannot "cure".

one of my colleagues decided to for her 2nd child because they already decided to stop having children after that, plus her pedi said that if it's any country in the region which is likely to make use of this new "technology", it would be singapore (since we are quite forward in our biotechnology), which makes a lot of sense too.

as far as i know, when you donate to the public bank, if in the future you need to use it and it's still available, they can still give it back to you? not 100% sure on this, but sounds like a good plan to me
happy.gif

I spoke to SCBB before as I was thinking of donating at first. what the lady over there told me is that you cannot claim for it and the cord blood is opened to worldwide. But should you need it one day, you have the priority when finding a match. My gynae advised me to store mine as I have 4 kids and my 2nd child is a special kid. Though she does not suffer from any disease but we won't know in the future (you know what I mean). We were told also that a lot of research is still being carried out so there may be more benefits in the future. We actually thought for quite a while before deciding.

hi all. i delievered my #1 last yr and donated my bb's cord blood to SCCB for the various reasons :
(1) technology is still new, and there are limited usage for cord blood currently. Only for blood diseases like leukemia

(2) with the same amt of money paid to store the cord blood, i can get a good health insurance coverage for my daughter

(3) in case my daughter really hv any blood diseases, then we will have #2 so we can use #2 cord blood.

hence we decide to donate to sccb since we hv no use for the cord blood anyway

to me, its really like buying a insurance. Hubby and I may think abt it for #2 but for now, theres no need.

I had mine donated to SCBB last year Nov. Totally FOC. Just meet up at my deliver hospital for family medical history.

Upon delivery, poked once to withdraw my blood.

After delivery, took tubes of umbilical cord blood(donation).

Hi.

I've opted for donating to SCCB. coz i've got no use for it anyway. and oso wan to store the cordblood, too ex for me.. so might as well donate to those who needs it more. according to the lady who spoke to me, totally FOC.

"TOUCHWOOD" if anything were to happen during the bloodtest, they wil inform me oso.

wow missylan,

stored liao?good good..
as wat u said earilier, the lady oso told me, upon delivery, they will start withdraw my blood for bloodteast, afertat, will take tubes of the cord blood.

she oso told me, will do thorough bloodtest. any result (good or bad) will inform me, even those rare diseases (lots of funny funny rare type) which cost alot of money if were to test separately outside.

i find that, good oso la.. not using it, donate to those who need it, n oso to my own benefits lo.

Hi mommies,

Pls correct me if I am wrong. I heard that donation to SCCB is only if you delivered at government hospital? If I choose Mt A or TMC, i cannot donate to SCCB?

Also, will there be any issue with the cord blood collection if i had c-section as opposed to natural birth? Coz i had emergency c-section for my #1 and I am not sure if i can undergo natural birth for #2.

Lastly, any no. which I can call to enquire?

Hope to hear from you all. Thanks!

SCBB's cord blood donation programme is available in the following hospital

· East Shore Hospital (ESH)
· Gleneagles Hospital (GEH)
· KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH)
· Mount Alvernia Hospital (MAH)
· Mount Elizabeth Hospital (MEH)
· National University Hospital (NUH)
· Raffles Hospital (RH)
· Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
· Thomson Medical Centre (TMC)

Btw, below are some information that I have found on public vs private cord blood banking. Hope you all will find them useful.

AAP ENCOURAGES PUBLIC CORD BLOOD BANKING
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/jan07cordblood.htm

Law Annoys Private Cord Banks
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/01/70091?currentPage=1

Stem Cells in the Bank -- for What, It's Not Yet Known
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/la-sci-cordblood19jun19,1,6988598.story

Hi there, anyone out there wish to sign up with cordlife? they having this incredible promotion 43% off now + $43 off till 15th Aug if 2 person sign up together. I need another 1 more person to sign up with me.

Total Discount : S$344 per person.

So is like : S$1056 per person and can use Baby bonus to pay for it.

Any interested mum, please get back to me by today or tomorrow at Hp : 9092 9125 Andy here.

Thank you.

If you donate the cord blood, you won't get back the same thing if you need it. But they might place you on priority list or something like that.

But the cord blood bank only accept the cord blood if both parents have no medical problems and the detailed scan are all clear.

i register with stemcord where they will store yr bb's cord blood at 2 location. double security in case of disaster hitting one of the locations. first time fee for cordlife is at $1400 while Stemcord is cheaper at around $1100. (if i dont rem wrongly). annual fee is same at $250 per year.

similarly, both have $50 off registration fee if is being referred by existing member. can pm me if you need referral for stemcord, just have give name and ic.

hello jan jan,
chance upon tis thread.my bb is a cord blood donar (and proud of tat
happy.gif

told him he did a good deed from the minute he comes into this world - ;p

jus call scbb, they'll arrange an interview where you and your spouse'll be required to do a test (questionaire and some personal questions like your sexual experiences - becos they need to ensure the cord blood is safe from any HIV related diseases),

on the other hand let your gynae knows and remind him when u admit hos. before you enter delivery ward nurse will confirm your decision n sign on paper. tat's it. the rest leave it to the hospital/ gynae/ scbb - they'll collect when you deliver.

happy donating
happy.gif

hi hi.,.. i too also donated my first child's cordblood to scbb.. now preggy with my 2nd gal.. have also went to scbb and signed the document to donated her cordblood when she is born... I am currently in my week 35...
happy.gif

like what sandra said, it's really hassel free... yet you and your bb will be doing a good deed to those kids who really need help.

(1)Just need to call scbb when you are week32, (2)arrange for a meetup with the staff to sign some documents and
(3)the staff will hand you an evelope to pass to the delivery suite staff when you admit to the hospital for delivery.
(4) Verbally inform your doctor during your usualy checkup to inform him of your intention of donation.
(5)When you in the hospital, hand the scbb evelope to the delivery suite staff,
(6) The doctor will draw mummy blood.
(7) After your bb's cord had been cutted, your doctor will draw the cordblood and put in the testtube.

That's all
happy.gif
.. it's that simple..

ultimately, the decision lies in mummy and daddy... but do consider donating the cordblood as one of the choices that you have.
happy.gif
It's a good deed afterall.
happy.gif

when collecting the cord blood attached to the placenta, does the placenta still inside mommy's womb?

will there b any danger for the mom?

Hi, they will only collect the cord blood after you have delivered your bb. So there's really no danger to both mother & child. I have donated both my son's cord blood but too bad there was not enough blood in the cord for my 2nd son.
happy.gif

Hi Jan,
First of all, congrats!!
happy.gif
When are you due and which hosp are yuo delivering?

You just need to approach anyone from the SCBB to tell them that you want to donate. They will then require you to fill up a consent form and a form declaring yours & your HB health status. They need to make sure that you both are in ok's health before they proceed to collect your bb cord blood.

They will also ask you for your permission that in the event if your bb cord blood is insufficient etc, would you agree to let them use it for research? I did and so now #2 cord blood, although is not enough for them to bank, can help them in other ways.

They also need details such as your EDD, the hospital that you'll be delivering at etc. Cos' I delivered at KK, everything was really quite seamless. The admissions office has a record of the fact that I wanted to donate my bb cord blood so the doc et al was informed about it. As mine was an elective c-sect, before my operations, the nurses just need to take some blood from me as well.

They will then take your bb cord blood once you delivered. Like i mentioned, the process is no danger to both mother & bb. The next day at the ward, a representative from SCBB visited me to tell me if the blood was enough or not for them to bank. In my first son's case, it was enough and in my 2nd son's case, they told me it wasnt so it'll be used for research. Both times, they gave me a little token, ie. a bib and a height chart.

In my first son's case, cos' it was banked, they called me a few months later to check on his health to see if everything is fine with both of us.

You might want to consider donating your bb cord blood cos' it's a good deed.
happy.gif
Hehehe.. for me, the idea of private banking is really to expensive for me. So that's why decided to donate it instead rather than just let the doctors throw them away.

Hope the above helps! Let me know if you have any other queries and I'll see if i can help.

Hi Jan
You actually can contact them now already to see if you're suitable to donate.
happy.gif
If I'm not wrong, TMC is one of the hospitals which they can collect the cord blood also.

hi jan jan,

you can let the scbb/ private banks know anytime up til maybe a month before your delivery date. they'll arrange a meet-up with you to speak on the procedures and get you to sign some admin forms.

i think most hospitals are equipped to do the collection so you just need to let the rep from the cord blood bank know which doctor you're with and they'll pass you the kit to hand to your doctor for collection. after the delivery, just give them a call to let them know you've delivered and they'll handle everything from there.
happy.gif

Hi all, I'm happy to see so many enlightened parents here. I think donating cord blood to a public bank is the right way to go. Private storage only serves a purpose if someone in the family could benefit from the baby's cord blood immediately.

To reiterate the points of KH, ruiqi and fatherken, check out this podcast which clearly explains the case AGAINST for-profit commercial cord blood banking.

LISTEN: http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/139450

Hi all, I'm so glad to see a few enlightened parents here. I feel that cord blood donation is the way to go. Unless of course someone in the family already has a history of blood disease that can immediately benefit from a child's cord blood.

To reiterate the points of KH, ruiqi and fatherken, check out this podcast that clearly explains AGAINST for-profit commercial cord blood banking.

LISTEN: http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/139450

Hi all parents, there is a Pregnancy Workshop that is taking place this Saturday (25th Sept) at Traders Hotel Singapore from 10am-5pm! It includes Cord Blood Banking Consultation too for those interested in learning more about cord blood banking But the seminar also includes highlights such has handling emergencies and breastfeeding the right way Best of all? There is free entry with gynae appointment card! Hee. This is organized by CordLife, one of the private cord blood banks in sg.

In addition, there is a cord blood banking seminar also a BabyTalk organized by CordLife on 2nd oct (sat) at raffles convention centre, with one-to-one cord blood banking consultation too. You can head over to wwww.cordlife.com/babytalk to register or call 6238-0808 for more info :eek:)

Hope this helps!! :)

Hi mummies, there is a Pregnancy Workshop that is taking place this Saturday (25th Sept) at Traders Hotel Singapore from 10am-5pm! It includes Cord Blood Banking Consultation too for those interested in learning more about cord blood banking But the seminar also includes highlights such has handling emergencies and breastfeeding the right way Best of all? There is free entry with gynae appointment card! Hee. This is organized by CordLife, one of the private cord blood banks in sg. Hope this helps!

Hi all,

I had opted to donate the cord blood to SCBB for my first child. And now, I am pregnant with my second one but still decide to donate the cord blood to SCBB again.

I had at first thought that banking the cord blood for my own use as an "insurance", so I went to the 2 private cord blood banking to find out more information.

But after asking several important good questions, I've decided to donate instead.

Reasons being:-
1. Technology is still not so advance that stem cell usage is a common thing. Thus, you may have the stem cell, but you may not have the doctor in Singapore who know how to use it.

2. Stem cell treatment is extremely extremely expensive. So usually bone marrow is the one who is used for treatment.

I had also asked about their history and the frequency where by people actually took out the cord blood to be used. And the procedure on how to take the cord blood out for usage.

All in all, I came to the conclusion that if there's anything happens (touchwood) happens to the baby, the cord blood you had banked will be useless. If it happens to your other relatives or family members, they may still reject the cord blood in their body even though they are related. Even silblings.

So in a way, it had defeated my purpose for banking, so must as well donate it then.

Better to spend the money on personal insurance...really.. sister had the same understanding and when she explained it to me.. i was like dun bother to spend it, just insurance payment is better...i feel although it may help the possibilities are very slim and it's like u throwing away money to some extent..i fee it's more like a 'research' project and 'by the way' u can store ur cord so u can fund out projects...sorry if it sounds v bad but out of the many many cases, only a few so far have saved lives..so, the odds are well.. like grace has mentioned, do read up and understand first before 'banking'...

Hi,

I have signed up with Cordlife for my baby.

Anyone want to sign up with Cordlife at Baby Expo on 20 July 2012? If I refer you as friend, we each get $100 shopping voucher.

Do email me at [email protected]
Have a good day.

It's good that many people in SG is so charitable... willing to do donation. Donating was my 1st choice when i was pregnant before i even think about turning into the private banks for personal/family storage. But i ended up choosing Cordlife with few simple reasons.

I have came across in Straits time on Cord Blood Donation statistic info. But do you know.....

Singapore Cord Blood Bank (SCBB) discard more than than they store because they set a real high standard on the number of stem cells that has to be in. They need about 1 billion cell count before they can store as they will sell the unit away to a matched patient and they have to ensure that the number is good enough.

I probed further on what is the chance of having more than 1 billion, the customer service girl said that less than 50% are stored and the rest is discarded as they did not meet the requirements. Discard... OMG...

I asked if we (as parents) have the options to know before hand so we can have the option to transfer it to a private bank for storage if we didn't meet the 1 billion. I was told "NO". This is such a precious and useful source and yet they just discard it because the number of stem cells is insufficient base on their standards?

TO me it is a heart pain decision...

Before i delivered, i called them again and realised that they are the "agent" for an "unknown name"bank. Apparently, the new bank will process some blood product in the facility of SCBB!?? I was told over the phone that it is an India bank who does not have any accreditation and that's why they have to use SCBB... No further details were given to me as she said she does not work for that bank.

But i cant help but to have a thought in my mind... "why do our government have to be an agent and allow the whatever bank process in their facility?" This really make me question about the credibility and stability.... That whatever new bank doesnt even has their own processing facility?

especially a govt bank to work with an indian bank in this model....

Hey elvi

I heard that you can use the child development account to pay for the cordlife package. Here is the url you can check for yourself.

https://www.cordlife.com/sg/

I feel like while buying insurance with the money can cover more money back, but what if the illness not only need money but also transplant to cure then even if you have either 1 also cannot.

Best option is buy insurance plus bank privately cos I Singaporean ma more kiasu :p
anyway best is nothing happen la but just buy everything in case.

I have donated to SCBB three times. All of the times, I was informed that the cord blood did not meet their minimum requirements. So as per my instructions, they were donated for medical research on cord blood and stem cells. First there must be research then they can be advancement - so at least I contribute to this.

Based on my own research, a stem cell match could come from a sibling, a parent, or a child. However, it is most unlikely that the same person would use his own stored cord cells. If a sibling is a match, the best bet is to get the stem cells from the sibling's marrow - live donation. Because, during the process of storing and thawing, the cells may be damaged and quality might be compromised. This is why I did not sign up for private banking. Also, private banking becomes a lifetime commitment. And back when I checked, if I terminate the contract, SCBB will not take this in, neither would they release the banked blood to anyone else. So it becomes useless.

Also, while tests are conducted upon the samples by the private banks, they are certainly not as stringent as the SCBB standard. Again, what if I end up paying for it for 20 years but not usable at all when we really need it? Also, all the time that it is sitting in the private bank, and God bless, we never have to use it... it is depriving someone in this world that might desperately be seeking such a match. Unfortunately, private banks do not share this information with the public banks - so, this is a big policy that I do not agree upon.

My own policy is such that I am blessed with the opportunity to share and give. and I do that to my ability. If should ever I have a time of need, I hope good karma will enable me to receive a gift in my own time of need.

I banked my boy's cord blood with Cordlife :)

I thought of donating initially but realised that it is better to store privately since the cord blood is a perfect match for my darling and it could potentially save his life (or his future siblings or us, his parents). You could get stem cells from other sources such as bone marrow but that is SO painful! And the amount of stem cells is not as high as that from cord blood. The stem cells from cord blood are young and abundant and hence there is lesser risk of rejection and higher chance of transplant success.

Also, when you donate cord blood, you are giving up all rights to the cord blood unit so if in future there is an unfortunate need to use it, you need to go and search for a matching unit and spend $ to procure it. By that time, your baby's cord blood unit may no longer be in the public bank since they usually discard most samples and keep only those good ones (eg high cell count) and the donors would have no knowledge and no right to interfere. So in the end it's not really caring and sharing - it's donating to the bin =(

I don't think the process of storing and thawing is as simple - I remembered Cordlife's consultant told me that they do testing (of infectious disease n such) to the sample and there is cryoprotectant to protect the cells from freezing damage.

But how would you know that tested done by private banks are not as stringent as SCBB? It really depends on which private bank you go to and the type of accreditation and standards they have/follow.

When I decided to store my LO's cord blood privately, I was choosing between Stemcord and Cordlife. There's another India bank (forget the name) that uses SCBB's lab. I didn't like the idea (What if one day SCBB does not renew the contract? What would happen to the stored cord blood?). I chose to go with Cordlife as I found that they are internationally accredited and are more well-known in the market. They also have a substantial track record of transplant cases which means they really know what they are doing (samples stored can be used in times of need and not just a white elephant).

Many of my friends also banked with Cordlife. I have a science background and after doing my research + hearing from friends, I'm happy to store my LO's cord blood at a private bank. With time and advancement of science I believe cord blood storing would become a must-have instead of a nice-to-have.

Back