Abnormalities found during pregnancy

hi hi

My result is out within 48hrs. our baby is normal! and it's a boy. me & hunny are so glad that everything is well. hope all moms who are going for the amino test, will have good result as well.

I just went for the fetal screening today at KK and my risk of having a DS baby is 1:500.Should i go for the confirmatory test that is Chorionic Villus Sampling and Amniocentesis.Please advice

hi Faten

Should ask your gynae for advise on this. But what i understand is that if the risk is 1:300, gynae will normally advise to for CVS or Amino.
Hope this helps.

My cousin, aged 35 is expecting twins.

The big issue is that she went for her fetal assessment in her 12th week, and the results revealed that her babies are at high risks for abnormalities. Risk level 1:8. No history in family too.

Has anyone heard or had this predicament too? Doctor advised Amino test but got certain risk in miscarriage. Her case is identical twins so if both will have the same condition. Still got hope?

I really dont know how to advise her, so hope experienced forumers can help!!

It depends on individual. Only she can weigh up how much she want information about a disorder versus the risk that the procedure may lead to miscarrying the babies who may, or may not, have DS.

I had a mid pregnancy termination in Aug this year. Baby was diagnosed with spina bifida during the 20 weeks scan. We seek a 2nd opinion with Ann Tan @Paragon and confirmed the defect was severe where the quality of life may be compromised. We then made a tough decision to end the pregnancy.

I was induced 5 times and took 18 hours before I delivered. The labour process was painful and without any rewards, knowing the baby was going to die within seconds. I felt my heart tore into pieces. I have no baby to carry home...

My hubby and I took a last look at our baby. Small but bigger than my palm, with nails and other parts nicely formed. She is our beautiful daughter and we will always love and remember her.

It has been 2 months after the incident. I missed my daughter, I wonder if she have felt our love during her brief moment cradled under my womb. I am still sad though the feeling is less chokey now. I have returned to work, and resume my normal life.

2 menses have passed. I am 35 so there is really not much time to waste. The fear is there but our desire to have a child is greater than fear of losing another so we are ready to try again. I hope God gives us strength and bless us with a safe pregnancy and a healthy child soon.

Bumblebee, I remember someone telling me that risk assessment is not accurate for multiple pregnancies. The option most mothers do for is a detailed scan by a doctor (Indian, male) at Camden Medical Centre. I don't have teh name though. My ex- secretary did the scans by him for her twins 3 years ago. $300 per baby.

Need some advice here. I am 16 weeks pregnant and during the scan recently, they have found that my baby's right side of the heart is not developing well ie smaller than the left. Anyone encountered a similar problem here?

hi bumblebee- yes twins are not accurate when it comes to the test

the doc name in camden is Dr Kumar - 63338621

Hi novnov - i suggest u see Dr KY Wong -- he is head of cardiology at KKH..he is v good..he can assess heart conditions of bb v well.

Cried while reading all the sad posting.
sad.gif

hi Vanilla & Dawn,

how are your babies doing now? :D

is there any support group for babies with omphaloceles??

Thanks

Dear all
Did u take e Oscar test or the triple test? Pls share your advice..m now in my 9th week n got worried when I saw this thread

Hi mummies,

I m so lost n helpless now. I jus wanna share my feeling n would appreciate some advises fm u.

I jus did my Oscar on Tue n my gynae called me to tell me that i m at risk n suggested a amnio test on 25th Jan. She said e passing pt should be 1 to 300 while for my case its 1 to 227. She said e scan shows very positive result n e risk is reduced to 1 to 500 but my blood test result increases e risk to 1 to 227.

If i were to take e amnio test, there is a 1% risk of miscarriage and i will have to wait for 4 more wks to take e test n e test result will only come out 2 to 3 wks later. Meaning i will have to stay this worried, lost n helpless for almost 2mths.

1) Should i take e amnio test? Is e result accurate?

2) May i know what is "Triple Blood Test"? Was it e blood test taken on e same day as e Oscar scan.

3) May i know what is Chorionic Villus Sampling? Is there any risk for this test? Is e result similar to amnio test?

4) I understand there are e express test result n e normal test result but my gynae suggested e normal one as she said e result is more detailed n more tests are involved but it takes 2-3 wks. Is there any detailed test but yet i can have e result in jus 2 to 3 days?

5) May i know what is TR?

6) Does the DS possibility affects heart as well? Cos my family have a few members w/ this problem.

Sorry for so many questions but would really appreciate it if u could advise on any that u know of.

Hi crystal cloud,

My suggestion to u is that don't search n read all these post w/o a reason. Cos the lesser u know e lesser u worried n for your case now u r worrying for nothing which will really affect your pregnancy.

Take care n relax.

Hihi, just wanna share my experience. I did an Oscar test in nov 09 which show my risk is 1:279. This is still higher than the assessed risk of 1:300. Hence my gynae suggestion is to do amnio test. But my hubby n I decided not to proceed as we wouldnt want to risk losing the baby. Note: this is my 2nd child. Of cos I'm scared and the thought of giving birth to a DS baby makes me even worried. However, we decided to commit everything to God and we prayed daily that God will heal the baby. The 20th wk detailed scan also shows positive features of feteus
happy.gif
I only get a huge sign of relief eventually when I gave birth to my boy in may last year. And u know what. The 1st thing I ask my hubby is "is my boy look ok" haahaa. So to those that has Oscar results that don't look good, don't be disheartened. Everything is in God's hands
happy.gif

My nt scan at week 12.5 was 5.8.the first trimester blood test showed 50% odds of trisomy 18.the odds for downs and trisomy 13 were not much better.I went for a genetic scan at week 15 at dr anandakumar clinic at Camden.found out baby kate's heart had a hole in btwn the 2 chambers,high nt of 6.8,there was thick skin behind the skull,short thigh bone,short nasal bone,short ear,last finger did not looked rightly formed.am waiting for amnio Appt,before deciding where to head with baby kate.it hurts so bad.this pregnancy was the result of a second ivf cycle after failing the first.it's really difficult to face all these bad news after going thru wat we went thru to get pregnant & I m only in my early 30s n in good health.I had no problems in my first trimester & did not expect such bad news at all.my heart's in pain for my unborn baby kate.

My amnio results confirmed that lil Kate has trisomy 18. I am week 18. I'll be terminating my pregnancy this Saturday.It hurts so bad.this is after a hsg, a lapascropy, a tubal canalization and 2 cycles of ivf. I put myself through much in the past year. We were so happy when I finally got pregnant, but it has been a emotional downhill for me n my hubby since the terrible nt scan,with 1:2 odds for trisomy 13 from the 1st trimester blood test.n now the amnio has confirmed our worst fears. It hurts so bad. My heart is so broken. I am so afraid of losing it when I see kate as a stillborn this Saturday. I just want to share my story, as people do get bad news even they say that chances are so slim.

Its so sad to find this thread... also sad to see so few posts over the years; shows we really are the unlucky few in the statistics... just found out yesterday that i need to go for an abortion. like many of u, i never thot i would have to go thru this. strength to us all

cactus> the camden doc is dr anandakumar. saw him yesterday too for my scan

babyrabbit: I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

you may want to go to the other board, "matters of the heart" and go onto the "support group for mid term pregnancy termination" thread for support.

otherwise, please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you need a listening ear. I have found immense support from ladies from the thread I mentioned above and it helped me get through the days.

Hi all,

I went for FAS (full scan test) in KK and found that my baby has a short nasal bone which have a risk of DS but My OSCAR test came out to be low risk 1: 1700.

Anyone have this exprience with short nasal bone?

Did anyone has false result from harmony test before? Feel very devastating as the doctor told me the accuracy of the t dr is 99% and my result shown the T21 problem lead to DS and ask me to do amnio test. Feel so lost now

Did anyone has false result from harmony test before? Feel very devastating as the doctor told me the accuracy of the t dr is 99% and my result shown the T21 problem lead to DS and ask me to do amnio test. Feel so lost now

Big hugs babe!! How many weeks preg are u now?

Mine was positive too, unfortunately still same results after amnio... I totally feel u... Cried endlessly during that period, even till now..

Harmony is basically a 99% accuracy screening test but only Amnio is the true diagnostic test. So don't be afraid to go for the Amnio test. All the best...

Serene,
I m at 13 weeks, doc suggest either CvS now or amnio after 15 weeks and make decision from there.
I m so scared of doing another test and have to decide to keep or to let go
How do u feel now?

Yukiari,

It's been 7 days since termination. Still feeling v emo n devastated..

Not an easy decision to make... Go for the amnio/cvs first, then think of what to do. Hope yours is wrong results..

thks Serene,
really feel very empty now as I dare not to discuss this with friends.
my gynae just refer me to Dr Lim at NUH to discuss about the process if I want to go for termination, I do not know which hospital or gynae is good to go for termination . May I Know where did you go and was it performed by your own gynae ?

Yukiari, I totally feel u.. I couldn't really find frens to discuss too cos none had gone thru this.. Most were mc not of their own will.

Mine was done by my own gynae at Mt E but final bill was v high hence I would not recommend. I think kkh, nuh or tmc would be lower cost.

The entire induction procedure took me ard 16+hrs even thou it's not my first delivery.

I have read a few posts about ARSA. Just did my scan this afternoon. Doctor mentioned everything is fine. Only this extra vessel in baby heart (ARSA ) I was so lost. Weeping away to my gynae. Gynae told me it's not so worrying. As the rest of the tests done baby is good. But I was still so worried as the Dr who did the scan on me mentioned 90% of these cases are with down syndrome.
Any advices for me?

I have read a few posts about ARSA. Just did my scan this afternoon. Doctor mentioned everything is fine. Only this extra vessel in baby heart (ARSA ) I was so lost. Weeping away to my gynae. Gynae told me it's not so worrying. As the rest of the tests done baby is good. But I was still so worried as the Dr who did the scan on me mentioned 90% of these cases are with down syndrome.
Any advices for me?
*Hugs* Menielle
It's not easy to receive such news about baby and I totally feel you.
I won't tell you how wonderful a child with DS is, although most of my friends agree with me.
I have one girl (coming 5 yo) with DS and she is one of the sweetest and loving person I have ever seen.
If you would like to talk more, can PM me or read our stories at www.simplylambchops.blogspot.com

Any advices for me?

Had my 12 weeks scan and was told of the extra vessel arsa for my bb too. Was tournoold that 1 in 100 'normal' people have this condition while on the flip side 20 in 100 ppl diagnosed with DS have this condition.

Was devastated and decided to follow up and take panorama test to confirm possibility of DS. Now to await the results of my blood test :(

Menielle may I know what is the outcome? So worried but nothe sure who to turn to for advice.

Hi there, i’ve just went for my 20th week detailed scan and radiologist discovered my baby girl has ARSA too. My gyne suggested that i should go for amnio but i’m not sure whether if i should for it or not. I didn’t test for any DS cause i’m only 26 and no family history of DS. So another opt is to go for the harmony bloof test. For a peace of mind. Mind sharing ur experience N how was urbaby?

Hi there, i’ve just went for my 20th week detailed scan and radiologist discovered my baby girl has ARSA too. My gyne suggested that i should go for amnio but i’m not sure whether if i should for it or not. I didn’t test for any DS cause i’m only 26 and no family history of DS. So another opt is to go for the harmony bloof test. For a peace of mind. Mind sharing ur experience N how was urbaby?

Mine was diagnosed with ARSA during the 20th week detailed scan. And we chose not to have amino test as no matter what we are still keeping the baby and now he is a healthy and active 9month old boy whose development is slightly faster than average babies. Dont worry so much :)

Any ladies did amniocentesis due to high risk result from Panorama for T21? Can share with me your amniocentesis results if positive and did u wait till the detailed scan at week 20 to confirm everything? Am preparing myself for the worst.

Back