2016/07 July babies

@3p1m - i hear mixed reviews about the cold cabbage method and i'm totally confused as to which is true. Some say it relieves engorgement while others say steer clear of it as it can reduce the flow thereby easing the engorgement.

@Deceptionist - i found that the manual worked really well for me, 10 mins for both sides. I started on the electric when my girl was about 8 mths and i felt my supply was dropping by a lot. The electric really surprised me pleasantly with the amount i got. I found though that the electric took a slightly longer time than the manual to assemble ie. Connect to powerpt, connect tubes etc. Not troublesome or difficult, but manual faster in that sense. But many of my friends hated the manual as they felt it was tiring.

Thanks @tuna. Gotta write it down in my checklist.

Anyone tried the cold cabbage method for engorgement ?

Hello, cold cabbage method works to comfort the hardworking boobs, but it does not solve the engorgement issue. Also cannot leave the cabbage on the boobs for too long, otherwise i heard will cause the milk production to decrease. Dunno is old wife tales or not ya.

Usually engorgement is due to poor method of express milk and end up never empty out all the milk fully. If got engorgement problem, pls go to look for a lactation nurse, most maternity hospital will have. They will first help you to empty your milk with massage. It is extremely painful experience but very much neccessary, then they will teach you the correct method to express milk so that you will not have engorgement problem in the future.

Anyone knows where to get bra extension clips? I feel a bit suffocated by my bras now.
I understand that feeling, it makes my nausea worse. Can get from any lingerie shop like Triumph, Wacoal, or lingerie departments in malls. There's a BP selling maternity and nursing wear. Can get from there too.

My 3rd child EDD is 15 July. I did Oscar, baby boy is healthy and safe. I think I'm more relaxed for the #3 so baby is growing well. I have gained only 2kg nett so far in week 19 now.

Both my #1 and #2 are teenagers.

I had tried Avent manual single for #1. It's effective for me. However I find the assembling fussy.

I then tried Medela dual pump for #2. It's efficient. However I find extensive use pull my nipples too much.

For my #3, I'm intending to get Avent dual pump. I prefer the soft silicone (less painful) as I'm a F cup now in week 20.

My friends told me about Spectrum too. However, I have no experience with that. During my last 2 pregnancies, baby stores were plenty and easil available in departmental stores. It seems no longer true!

Where can we find all these breast pumps? I like to compare and check the assembling parts before finalizing the model to purchase.

I'll be delivering by C section, and has hired a confinement lady from http://www.thomsonmedical.com/confinement-nanny-services/ They provide confinement food package too for mummies who only needs the food service only. There is a counter lady in Thomson Medical Centre attending to your queries if you have any.

My #1 I did not hire confinement lady as I underestimated the need.

#2 I hired a local for a week and fired her as she was unprofessional and quarreling with my maid. My kind neighbor did all the cooking for me as she had done it for her daughter months before.

#3 My neighbor is now rather old so I'm using professional nanny agency services to remove the need to interview and source a professional one.

I'm still looking for prenatal and postnatal massage packages. Would prefer home services as I'm forgetful with appointments plus I don't drive. I'm avoiding getting caught in rain as falling sick is medically tricky during pregnancy. I was coughing badly during #2. My poor boy was born with congenital pneumonia and an ICU baby for a month. He's healthy now... but it was stressful (financially and emotionally) then.

Stay healthy and happy all mummies!

Last edited:
@Mrs Ler congrats. Your teenagers should be delighted to have a new sibling. F? Heh I'm still a teeny B and they haven't seem to grow at all.

@Cloverseed actually even now it's hard to feel baby kick throughout the day unless I'm lying in bed and i have to place my palm over my tummy. Lie in bed with your legs straight.

@Mrs Ler congrats. Your teenagers should be delighted to have a new sibling. F? Heh I'm still a teeny B and they haven't seem to grow at all.

@Cloverseed actually even now it's hard to feel baby kick throughout the day unless I'm lying in bed and i have to place my palm over my tummy. Lie in bed with your legs straight.[/QUOTE

I was D until I took an injection to stop the breastfeeding 13y ago. Shrunk to B. My hubby realised I might be pregnant as my cups grow to C in first month. My tummy is way smaller though (despite a swollen womb due to being an older mum). We were worried about miscarriage but now glad we went past first trimester safely.

The cup sizes don't matter. Everyone is different, being healthy and safe is most important for mummy and growing baby.

My #1 is a happy sister. #2 is unsure as he's going to be the middle child plus #3 will be a boy. He's losing status as the youngest child and the only son :p. So Hubby is giving him lots of attention by going to library and going with him for his sports training during weekend etc.

Oh no. Does prenatal messages help I wonder?

So far my body is ok. No aches (except for leg cramp at times at night). The obvious change for me this week is my breathlessness getting more intense. When showering this morning i need to catch my breath too. Then at work today while seated also feel same same.
Yes, massage will help. If hubby is willing to help you, it's even better. Try soaking your calf in pails of warm water if you don't have a large bathtub. Will reduce the cramp intensity. I'm getting an electric mat warmer as my skin wrinkles easily when soaked.

Mrs Ler, I think your family story is very cute. I'm a middle child too but being a gal, I was so happy my mom popped a sister for me (at that time she didn't know the gender before labour). I felt I had a new toy to play with. But I guess for boys, it just works very differently.

I heard the leg massages help. I will tell my hubby then. He is clueless he can do that for me :p

@Deceptionist i am in my 18th weeks too :) so far didn't feel anything yet. My baby must be sleeping most of the time.

@redvel I placed my hands on tummy and talked to baby at night .. So far he has been bery quiet .. Maybe he's ignoring me for now cos I have been too noisy for him

Sorry to sound so clueless, which part of the leg should we massage? The entire calf length is it? And another stupid question, we get the massage when the cramps occur, or we ask for regular ones to help prevent the cramps?

Is anyone experiencing hard kicks? I started feeling the tapping/fluttering from wk 14. From wk 17, it's progressed to really hard punches / kicks. I am really starting to worry abt a huge baby or twins undetected at previous scans. At times the little fella will move either to the right or left side, and we can feel him/her balled up there. The hiccups have started also.

Hi
My 3rd child EDD is 15 July. I did Oscar, baby boy is healthy and safe. I think I'm more relaxed for the #3 so baby is growing well. I have gained only 2kg nett so far in week 19 now.

I had tried Avent manual single for #1. It's effective for me. However I find the assembling fussy.

I then tried Medela dual pump for #2. It's efficient. However I find extensive use pull my nipples too much.

For my #3, I'm intending to get Avent dual pump. I prefer the soft silicone (less painful) as I'm a F cup now in week 20.

My friends told me about Spectrum too. However, I have no experience with that. During my last 2 pregnancies, baby stores were plenty and easil available in departmental stores. It seems no longer true!

Where can we find all these breast pumps? I like to compare and check the assembling parts before finalizing the model to purchase.

I'll be delivering by C section, and has hired a confinement lady from http://www.thomsonmedical.com/confinement-nanny-services/ They provide confinement food package too for mummies who only needs the food service only. There is a counter lady in Thomson Medical Centre attending to your queries if you have any.

#2 I hired a local for a week and fired her as she was unprofessional and quarreling with my maid. My kind neighbor did all the cooking for me as she had done it for her daughter months before.

#3 My neighbor is now rather old so I'm using professional nanny agency services to remove the need to interview and source a professional one.

I'm still looking for prenatal and postnatal massage packages. Would prefer home services as I'm forgetful with appointments plus I don't drive. I'm avoiding getting caught in rain as falling sick is medically tricky during pregnancy. I was coughing badly during #2. My poor boy was born with congenital pneumonia and an ICU baby for a month. He's healthy now... but it was stressful (financially and emotionally) then.

Hi Mrs Ler,

Can I know your cough was just before the delivery or you had already recovered when you delivered. Quite worried when I read your post as for a short period, was pretty sick with cough. Have recovered since and in my last trimester.

Thanks!

Sorry to sound so clueless, which part of the leg should we massage? The entire calf length is it? And another stupid question, we get the massage when the cramps occur, or we ask for regular ones to help prevent the cramps?

Is anyone experiencing hard kicks? I started feeling the tapping/fluttering from wk 14. From wk 17, it's progressed to really hard punches / kicks. I am really starting to worry abt a huge baby or twins undetected at previous scans. At times the little fella will move either to the right or left side, and we can feel him/her balled up there. The hiccups have started also.
Sounds like your bb is a kungfu kid. I'm looking forward to hard kicks haa.

Talking about balled up. I started to feel days ago that occasionally I feel where my bb is suddenly expands and hardens. Within 30s or so it will go back to original size. I always wonder what's happening in there. Could that be the baby balling up herself there?

Last edited:

I'm kinda worried after reading your post as I have been coughing for last few weeks. Med doesn't seems to work on me and Doctor has asked me to try natural remedy now. Can you share more about your cough?

I keep having flu since I found out I was preg too. I wasn't like that when I was having #1. I read it's 'common' among preggers but after reading your post, I am worried... :(

I didn't know Braxton kicks are those balling up feeling. I thought Braxton is contraction feeling ? Heh I'm also clueless.

Anyone planning to get confinment lady from PEM? We are praying and hoping the lady we choose is good. Heard alot of horror stories.

Also planning to find jamu massage for post natal. So far don't know if i should go with Layla or Rose. Any suggestions?

Going for 16th week scan tmrw.. I have been very anxious since my last scan. Keep thinking about worst case scenarios and also cos not much changes to body..

Last edited by a moderator:
Have booked my CL (I chose one that's recommended and not random) couple of months ago. Have not booked massage package though.

I think pregnancy anxiety is really part and parcel of this journey, regardless which state we are at. Try to think positive and continue to do all things good for your body and baby.

Anyone planning to get confinment lady from PEM? We are praying and hoping the lady we choose is good. Heard alot of horror stories.

Also planning to find jamu massage for post natal. So far don't know if i should go with Layla or Rose. Any suggestions?

Going for 16th week scan tmrw.. I have been very anxious since my last scan. Keep thinking about worst case scenarios and also cos not much changes to body..

Yes I had booked with PEM 3 weeks ago..my cousin and ex sec sch teacher engage their svr last year. .I appointed a specific nanny ( the nanny that help my ex sec sch teacher ) with an add. Cost of 200.. I alsp bought their herbal package out of conveniency. .hope it helps :)

Mummies, do you guys have a to buy list yet? Coming Baby Fair at Suntec on the 4march buy relatives will be chasing me there to get some items but I don't know what should I buy first because it seems to early.

Hello all July mummies. I'm a newbie to this forum and my EDD is on 29 July. My first pregnancy. Feeling very lost with list of baby items to buy and which confinement nanny to engage. Haha. Hope everyone is enjoying their pregnancy! :)

Mummies, do you guys have a to buy list yet? Coming Baby Fair at Suntec on the 4march buy relatives will be chasing me there to get some items but I don't know what should I buy first because it seems to early.
Yea I have prepared a baby checklist. Going to buy all the basic items first. Bought my baby cot and steamer. Next will be breast pump, milk bottle, disposable panty, sanity pad, breast pad. I will get newborn baby clothes, bath tub, sock, mitten from my sister. Coz my hub said its better to get it when my tummy is not that big yet. If my tummy too big then it's hard to shop around :)

Perhaps you can consider getting your sterilizer, pump, cot, pram and car seat if u are using one, sling/carrier etc while you are still energetic. It really is quite tiring to do much shopping in the 3rd trimester while lugging a watermelon-sized bump around. Don't think i can chiong this year's GSS, so sad!
Does anyone know if hospitals still give the bath tub when we discharge? I think i got one when i had my #1.

Welcome Chloe. It'll be good if you have friends' recommendations for confinement lady. Otherwise go to an agency. But you may want to do it fast, people usually book around the third month once the pregnancy is considered stable. I had 2 i wanted, 1 was a CL i engaged before, the other was through a friend's recommendations. Both were already booked for July, so i had to search around for another one.

Hi all, my edd is 6 Aug and this is my #3. Though edd is in Aug but I had preterm labour for both #1 & #2, hence, gynae is expecting this to be delivered early as well. Can I join u ladies in the July group?

Perhaps you can consider getting your sterilizer, pump, cot, pram and car seat if u are using one, sling/carrier etc while you are still energetic. It really is quite tiring to do much shopping in the 3rd trimester while lugging a watermelon-sized bump around. Don't think i can chiong this year's GSS, so sad!
Does anyone know if hospitals still give the bath tub when we discharge? I think i got one when i had my #1.

Welcome Chloe. It'll be good if you have friends' recommendations for confinement lady. Otherwise go to an agency. But you may want to do it fast, people usually book around the third month once the pregnancy is considered stable. I had 2 i wanted, 1 was a CL i engaged before, the other was through a friend's recommendations. Both were already booked for July, so i had to search around for another one.

Wow that's fast. I have 2 contacts too. 1 is through PEM agency which I have personally met and find her good and another one is a personal contact through my colleague. Can't decide which one to engage yet. Currently both are still available.

Using PEM too and will be heading to their office to see see look look as hub prefer to "see the office" before "investing" ;);) ... will be taking their herbal package for convenient sake and the cost is also almost there when i was considering Hock Hua Confinement Package too .... :):)

Hi @Angeal can you explain what is this Brixton Hicks? Have been seeing this a lot but I have no idea what is it and google doesn't explain much. Haha

@Deceptionist ... i had this weird feeling of hardening and balling ... den contraction feeling "like going to drop out"(touch wood) ... was unable to move .. next minute it will goes away... den come and go...come and go .... thot baby was in distress mode or signalling anything until i share wif my frien and she told me it was fine... is a feeling or something to get our body ready only =) ... brixton hicks is totally different from contraction in terms of the interval and shldnt involve bleeding .... just come and go....wun be getting more often ... :)
:):):)

How to video baby movement? I'm going for my 20weeks detailed scan tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
Sorry! I mean just placing ur phone over your tummy and managed to catch ur skin moving as baby tumbles! There are plenty of these on YouTube and I was wondering which lucky mummy managed to capture these precious scenes!

Should be a fun day verluv. Mine supposed to be tomorrow too but I needed to postpone to next wed.

I did try to spot the movement from my POV (my sis wants to see a video clip of that) but still cannot. Still too early I guess :)

Sorry! I mean just placing ur phone over your tummy and managed to catch ur skin moving as baby tumbles! There are plenty of these on YouTube and I was wondering which lucky mummy managed to capture these precious scenes!

Hello, can i suggesting putting a small toy car on your tummy instead. It is safer this way.

Enjoy

Verluv share share how's the detailed scan like? :) How long did it take? Was your princess cooperative?

Managed to video my bb shifting to left side of my bump this morning.

Hi mommies, can I check fr day 1 u can feel the movement, after that will u feel it everyday? I can feel it for the 1st 2 days... After that like can't feel it for few days. Is it normal? A bit worrying now.

Back