(2015/08) Aug 2015 Mummies

Haha it's my #1!! We have the room ready but there's so much else to be done!!

ah sorry i must have mixed up reading the posts! wow at least ur room is ready! thats a big to-do on my side esp this is an "unplanned" #1. we have been using our 2 extra rooms for fun and now frantically trying to find a way..
u and hubs can enjoy the rest of the shopping then, not as logistically tedious

luckily when we were buying a place we didnt go for 4-room as we almost wanted to (thinking we wanna be DINKies forever), now im thankful we at least have the extra room to do something. haha.

thinking will change. i used to think having kids is the worst thing in the world, now im really looking forward to the little one's arrival

Yup honestly there are pros and cons on both sides. Since I'm self employed I'll make the most of it. Money isn't stable but I guess it all depends on priorities. I wouldn't say what I earn now is less than when I was in corporate, but then again I never really minded. Guess I've been lucky and hubby is not doing too badly. After almost a decade of being married, we are happy to be blessed with this news, and to be able to move on to another phase in life together... The only thing is probably we will have to travel less in future!

wow thats nice. how long after starting ur biz do u start earning better than corporate?
for me i was literally starting for the first few days then we strike jackpot ;) so the income gap is still a lot to catch up. hubby not doing badly also, thankfully, but giving up certain luxuries is always hard and need some getting used to.

a decade! this must be great news for your families! I already got a lot of crap for only 5 years of married life and no kids. haha. finally a CNY where ppl will "lay off" a little, until they feel they need to chase you for #2...

I in my 16 weeks..

Pre-pregnancy was like 52kg..

Now only 53kg..

Normal?

Hi fairy tale im exactly the same as you! hitting 16w tomorrow and only +1kg to 53kg now. My gynae is very pleased with the progress as she wants me not to gain more than 10kg in total. so no need to worry.

What have you ladies bought so far? I haven't started buying any baby stuff or preparing the room yet.. Not sure where to start.. Should we wait to know gender first?

no worries. i heard from other mommies here that there are certain pangtang so most ppl wont buy baby stuff too early. for me im not pantang but i am more practical so I wont buy big items early -- have to clean n keep dust free for months.

either way my plan (for your reference, cos may or may not be suitable for all):

Feb - clear the extra room for baby
Mar - purchase storage units for the room (like wardrobe, to store clothes n diapers n towels etc)
May - purchase smaller items like baby clothes, towels, breast pump, wash n store in the new wardrobe
June- purchase mid size items - stroller, bassinet, car seat. things that I can store in box to keep out the dust
July - purchase baby beds , rocker (need to buy 2 sets, one for in-laws place one for our own)

then just in time lo.

oh though i am super super tempted to buy a super nice baby dress now after doc assessed during scan that we are most likely having a girl. all my excited friends cannot wait too. haha

no worries. i heard from other mommies here that there are certain pangtang so most ppl wont buy baby stuff too early. for me im not pantang but i am more practical so I wont buy big items early -- have to clean n keep dust free for months.

either way my plan (for your reference, cos may or may not be suitable for all):

Mar - purchase storage units for the room (like wardrobe, to store clothes n diapers n towels etc)
May - purchase smaller items like baby clothes, towels, breast pump, wash n store in the new wardrobe
June- purchase mid size items - stroller, bassinet, car seat. things that I can store in box to keep out the dust
July - purchase baby beds , rocker (need to buy 2 sets, one for in-laws place one for our own)

then just in time lo.

oh though i am super super tempted to buy a super nice baby dress now after doc assessed during scan that we are most likely having a girl. all my excited friends cannot wait too. haha

that's a gd timeline... I shall use it as a gauge too... heehee.. I'm hoping my next scan can let me know if it's a boy or girl.. gynae say must see if baby will cooperate...

I in my 16 weeks..

Pre-pregnancy was like 52kg..

Now only 53kg..

Normal?

I'm hitting 16weeks in 2more days too. I had MS previously in my 1st tri. But appetite has been getting better and my tastebud seem to like sweet stuff more so i've put on about 2kg at my recent check up. I think as long as u eat normally, and baby is growing well, shouldn't be much of a worry.

then just in time lo.

I haven't really gave much thought about what exactly i need to buy. I only have afew items in my brain like pram, baby cot, wardrobe. I think i'm still in stoning mode lol. Rather, 不知所措 and probably thinking i still have time. This timeline is making me think more thoroughly what i really need. But i will start to check out prices of baby items, have a rough gauge and aim for April's baby fair. My mum also quite pantang, so maybe like some mummies in this forum, order big items like baby cot and then have them delivered at another date. And also see if my sister-in-laws can hand me some of their passed down items so i can save abit hehe..

that's a gd timeline... I shall use it as a gauge too... heehee.. I'm hoping my next scan can let me know if it's a boy or girl.. gynae say must see if baby will cooperate...

yeah.. legs must open wide . mine was last friday and the baby was being both chor lor (leg open one on each side wah piang), plus active, kept flipping around, so my doc got a few good angles to look at.

knowing the gender is yeah v helpful .. but u can also try buying neutral colour items first?
like in our case from the science i read, i am very tempted to take doc assessment of girl as final because the signs are v clear and consistent. but the pragmatic part of my mind still asked me to keep a % for surprises... was so hard cos hubby and I really so happy we just wanted to celebrate...

I haven't really gave much thought about what exactly i need to buy. I only have afew items in my brain like pram, baby cot, wardrobe. I think i'm still in stoning mode lol. Rather, 不知所措 and probably thinking i still have time. This timeline is making me think more thoroughly what i really need. But i will start to check out prices of baby items, have a rough gauge and aim for April's baby fair. My mum also quite pantang, so maybe like some mummies in this forum, order big items like baby cot and then have them delivered at another date. And also see if my sister-in-laws can hand me some of their passed down items so i can save abit hehe..

dont worry we have time... actually i dont think my timeline is very comprehensive, there are many small items I didnt list down (e.g. milk bottles, pacifiers bathtub...)

this is a blogger's post- its an advertorial for mothers work but it also has her baby list- she is very thorough!
http://elaine73.blogspot.sg/2015/02/my-shopping-experience-at-motherswork.html
i think her list can put your mind at ease. just see whether you will need all

and yeah u are right! if there are things that can be passed down, would be good! for me i am first in family and among close friends to have kids, so not much hope of getting leh...

yeah.. legs must open wide . mine was last friday and the baby was being both chor lor (leg open one on each side wah piang), plus active, kept flipping around, so my doc got a few good angles to look at.

knowing the gender is yeah v helpful .. but u can also try buying neutral colour items first?
like in our case from the science i read, i am very tempted to take doc assessment of girl as final because the signs are v clear and consistent. but the pragmatic part of my mind still asked me to keep a % for surprises... was so hard cos hubby and I really so happy we just wanted to celebrate...

Hahaha... I can imagine the excitement... Anyway, me also kind of stoning and delaying... so not really in a hurry to buy anything yet... will also prob get some pre-loved stuff from friends and cousins... I think we still have quite a few months... Also will go for the April baby fair to see see look look...

What have you ladies bought so far? I haven't started buying any baby stuff or preparing the room yet.. Not sure where to start.. Should we wait to know gender first?

No idea but my gf suggested looking at booking confinement nanny first... A lot are already fully booked

ah sorry i must have mixed up reading the posts! wow at least ur room is ready! thats a big to-do on my side esp this is an "unplanned" #1. we have been using our 2 extra rooms for fun and now frantically trying to find a way..
u and hubs can enjoy the rest of the shopping then, not as logistically tedious

luckily when we were buying a place we didnt go for 4-room as we almost wanted to (thinking we wanna be DINKies forever), now im thankful we at least have the extra room to do something. haha.

thinking will change. i used to think having kids is the worst thing in the world, now im really looking forward to the little one's arrival

Haha np! I think coz we were married for a number of years, we have already just left a room designated for a kid if one were to come along...

wow thats nice. how long after starting ur biz do u start earning better than corporate?
for me i was literally starting for the first few days then we strike jackpot ;) so the income gap is still a lot to catch up. hubby not doing badly also, thankfully, but giving up certain luxuries is always hard and need some getting used to.

a decade! this must be great news for your families! I already got a lot of crap for only 5 years of married life and no kids. haha. finally a CNY where ppl will "lay off" a little, until they feel they need to chase you for #2...

Hmm the money is up and down, so I look at it from an annual basis...about < 1 year into my being self-employed... Haven't had to really give up certain luxuries to be honest, but with a kid, definitely have to adjust our travel plans.

Haha ya I guess we had all reached a stage whereby if we had a kid it would be a blessing, otherwise hubby and I are happy being on our own as well. It's also been enjoyable just the two of us...going travelling and what-not.

Feeling blessed and thankful for everything :)

then just in time lo.

Oh I'm not so pantang myself...
Your schedule sounds good :)

Hey mtbs, u pple did mani + pedi for cny??

Meeting my friends later to do tog..

But like duno okay anot..

Tey keep telling me last time when tey preggy tey also do, bb also alright..

Maybe i reali 'over-think' .. Hehe

Last edited:

Tey keep telling me last time when tey preggy tey also do, bb also alright.. Maybe i 'over-think' .. Hehe

I'm still doing my hard gel... and I just coloured my hair too last week.. Haha...

So lucky!! Well I only knew over the weekend...so not much time LOL

faster find one now... haha.. hope u secure one soon...

Yup I think neutral items should be ok...my gf shared with me that previously when she was pregnant, her doc told her it's a boy from the scan, so they were so excited and she went to buy blue items, then turned out actually it's a girl...

Tey keep telling me last time when tey preggy tey also do, bb also alright.. Maybe i 'over-think' .. Hehe

I'm not sure if it's ok, but I just did mani and pedi this morning

No problem, i did mine last week! no problem at all

My thinking is -- we need to have faith in our bodies! we are made to do this, so no need to fear so much. like i try not to beat myself up too much if I didnt eat v good food for a day or 2.. because I also noticed the bod priorities the baby and necessary nutrients still go to the little one.
like for e.g., i used to take very little water. now i am taking a LOT and end up now my lips are dry and cracked now. so must have gone to the baby lo

only exception is for higher risks cases, where doctors have advised caution, then must listen and follow what they say.

Yup I think neutral items should be ok...my gf shared with me that previously when she was pregnant, her doc told her it's a boy from the scan, so they were so excited and she went to buy blue items, then turned out actually it's a girl...

huh! i thought usually its the other way round.. (cant see kukubird but its there).. very rare

but neutral colours are very classy. I have always loved nude shades and white. so bed is gonna be this scheme. safe safe

red is also neutral colour, and bright looking. can consider

Hmm.. maybe can opt for the no smell one if the shop has? i think painting the nails is alright but rather the smell of the nail polish that's not so good. or wear a mask? haha.. just suggesting..

huh! i thought usually its the other way round.. (cant see kukubird but its there).. very rare

but neutral colours are very classy. I have always loved nude shades and white. so bed is gonna be this scheme. safe safe

red is also neutral colour, and bright looking. can consider

Ya I'm not sure what happened...but my gf was like errr I can't use all the blues now...LOL

Yup neutral shades are definitely safe :) and easy!

No idea but my gf suggested looking at booking confinement nanny first... A lot are already fully booked

Yeah.. I checked out one recommended by my sis-in-law and already discuss to make deposit to her, but she called me again to say she has 1 confinement appt in late jun and is worried if i due early in jul (my due date currently is ard 5aug), she wouldn't be able to make it. She sounded quite reluctant to take up the job too, so my hubby and I feel just search for another one lo. I'm in the midst of discussing with another confinement lady but she say can meet up first so both of us can chat and understand better. I feel quite insecure cos it means we're not confirmed and what if she forgets and take up another appointment. but on the other hand, it's good to meet up too.. haiz..

Yeah.. I checked out one recommended by my sis-in-law and already discuss to make deposit to her, but she called me again to say she has 1 confinement appt in late jun and is worried if i due early in jul (my due date currently is ard 5aug), she wouldn't be able to make it. She sounded quite reluctant to take up the job too, so my hubby and I feel just search for another one lo. I'm in the midst of discussing with another confinement lady but she say can meet up first so both of us can chat and understand better. I feel quite insecure cos it means we're not confirmed and what if she forgets and take up another appointment. but on the other hand, it's good to meet up too.. haiz..

Maybe meet up with her quickly then can put deposit? Normally do the confinement nannies ask for the deposit? Or do we have to propose it? I'm talking to one now, and she's saying OK she will take the job...but because I'm not even in 2nd trimester yet, I'm thinking when is the deposit thing normally?

yeah i heard from so many mommies already booked their CL. maybe ask around the forum, like the Jan mommies, see if any good and recent experience can recommend to you.

oh dear hope it wil be over soon! yeah i find water q hard to take since first tri, and i have resorted to making a huge bottle of cold honey water to ensure I stay hydrated. q easy, even a table spoon mixed with a huge flask of water works. fussy little one lor
if not cant try ribena .. i try to make it as dilute as possible so its not too sweet.

for nausea on transport, it happened to me only when I take a long bus ride if I dont take hubby car to work when I need more sleep, so I bought a pair of Sea Bands from Guardian and they seem to work! then have 2 things ready in ur purse-- mints and those vicks nose inhaler in case u get a smelly person in front of u, really can make u wanna die.

I bought the sea bands too, very early in the pregnancy. I am not exactly sure it did help me but I wasnt vomitting that badly. These few days it was worse. I just hope it will get better soon. Sigh.

End up no mood to prepare anything because am always tired. Not dobe much research or bought much things.

Take care. Better to stay at home cuz u may have giddy spells too

Yah, true. Am very worried about the vomitting though. But I hoping to at least spend eve and day 1 with close family, has been looking forward to it. Sigh.

I really salute the working mummies, feel so lethargic and tired. On my non active days, I just feel like nua on bed.

Let me guess, are u insurance agent/blogshop seller?

If so, post your link here. Those who are keen can support support :)

I hope you are feeling better!! I still have mild ms now and it can really affects my mood.

Have a good rest at home.

I still have it despite being in the 19th week now. Feeling so tired and edgy, I m laying on my sweet bed now, trying to take a noon nap

I dreaded the CNY, hot weather and still have to make small talks and entertain my relatives. Reminded me of the uneventful China trip with them during my 1st tri, feel so tired and still have to accompany them for ktv singing till wee hours. ><"

Try to rest well too during cny. Hugs. Can be soooo difficult right during MS. I hope I can stop vomitting like a merlion after every meal.

Yup coz of my age too.. Have to wait 2 weeks. I'm in no hurry though. Happy getting anything in neutrals

I have not been getting shopping done nor found a CL too. MS took up most of my time. Fainted.
Slowly, i think neutrals are good too. Very soon, your 14th week will be here! I was waiting for 14th week too, only to have worse MS. Cant wait for my next scan nx week to make sure everything is alright.

This week when i saw my weight on the weighing scale was 53.3kg - 53.5kg, i was so happy & relieved..

Throughout the 1st trimester, my weight was like 51.5 - 52.5kg.. I know it is perfectly normal & fine to have no weight gain during 1st trimester, but maybe abit of weight gain will make me more at ease... :oops::oops:

Hi fairy tale im exactly the same as you! hitting 16w tomorrow and only +1kg to 53kg now. My gynae is very pleased with the progress as she wants me not to gain more than 10kg in total. so no need to worry.

In my 16th weeks, My morning sickness seems to have subsided gradually..

Even if it 'strike' me, seems like quite mild....

I realise a few times after me & hub makan, we went to car immediately & he start driving, i wan to throw out.. I need to faster wind down window & ask him drive like reali slow..

I duno is it the motion or the car smell.. :confused::cool:

& also i still hate brushing teeth!!

I have not been getting shopping done nor found a CL too. MS took up most of my time. Fainted.
Slowly, i think neutrals are good too. Very soon, your 14th week will be here! I was waiting for 14th week too, only to have worse MS. Cant wait for my next scan nx week to make sure everything is alright.

Hi Piggling,

I sympathize with you. MS is really something that can drain you out. I am suffering from MS too. My nausea meds don't really work. Have been fighting to find remedies that really work to solve the core problem.

There are 2 kinds of feeling before you vomit.

1. Acid Reflux - Too much acid that when you vomit it's very bitter and when you burp there's this acidic thing coming up from the back of your throat. Before you actually vomit there's a feeling of something stuck in the throat around the collar bone. Can take antacids to help like Gaviscon or prescribed Controloc to reduce too much acid. Doesn't happen all the time. Take only when necessary.

2. Indigestion - After eating, you will feel like something is pressing against your stomach and the food is not getting anywhere. You start to feel queasy. Can take probiotics to restore good bacteria in your stomach. It helps, with the stomach and bowel movements. You will realize you function normally when you don't overeat.

These 2 are interlinked, if you have acid reflux, reducing the acid will slow your digestion so the probiotics come into place to support your digestive function.

Finding the right balance will save you.

In my 16th weeks, My morning sickness seems to have subsided gradually..

Even if it 'strike' me, seems like quite mild....

I realise a few times after me & hub makan, we went to car immediately & he start driving, i wan to throw out.. I need to faster wind down window & ask him drive like reali slow..

I duno is it the motion or the car smell.. :confused::cool:

& also i still hate brushing teeth!!

I think car motion affects me too. I try to wait for awhile after eating before I get on any moving vehicles. If not, confirm vomit.

Yes, brushing teeth is nightmare!

Hi Piggling,

I sympathize with you. MS is really something that can drain you out. I am suffering from MS too. My nausea meds don't really work. Have been fighting to find remedies that really work to solve the core problem.

There are 2 kinds of feeling before you vomit.

1. Acid Reflux - Too much acid that when you vomit it's very bitter and when you burp there's this acidic thing coming up from the back of your throat. Before you actually vomit there's a feeling of something stuck in the throat around the collar bone. Can take antacids to help like Gaviscon or prescribed Controloc to reduce too much acid. Doesn't happen all the time. Take only when necessary.

2. Indigestion - After eating, you will feel like something is pressing against your stomach and the food is not getting anywhere. You start to feel queasy. Can take probiotics to restore good bacteria in your stomach. It helps, with the stomach and bowel movements. You will realize you function normally when you don't overeat.

These 2 are interlinked, if you have acid reflux, reducing the acid will slow your digestion so the probiotics come into place to support your digestive function.

Finding the right balance will save you.

Thanks bullionairess. :)
Mine could be indigestion, I am not sure too. Because after food, i will very fast feel the urge like food cant go down and it just "pour" out automatically. Sometimes it is actually better for me to vomit out, if not super uncomfortable.
We can only hope that the situation improves soon. :)

Wow are you 14 weeks already? I'm sure everything will be ok!

Maybe meet up with her quickly then can put deposit? Normally do the confinement nannies ask for the deposit? Or do we have to propose it? I'm talking to one now, and she's saying OK she will take the job...but because I'm not even in 2nd trimester yet, I'm thinking when is the deposit thing normally?

Mine say ok to take up the job, but she's doing confinement for a mother now so inconvenient to meet me also. she say she will call me after CNY to meet up when she's done with her confinement work. I hope she doesn't forget me haha.. Hmm.. this is my #1 so i no experience also. Maybe you want to check with her how the deal is confirmed, like if there's any deposit to be paid (so far i talked to 2 mentioned bout deposit). i think the conversation will flow from there.

Mine say ok to take up the job, but she's doing confinement for a mother now so inconvenient to meet me also. she say she will call me after CNY to meet up when she's done with her confinement work. I hope she doesn't forget me haha.. Hmm.. this is my #1 so i no experience also. Maybe you want to check with her how the deal is confirmed, like if there's any deposit to be paid (so far i talked to 2 mentioned bout deposit). i think the conversation will flow from there.

Hey serene, how early in Ur pregnancy (no. Of weeks) that U started finding for a confinement lady? I don't know when is the right time or am I too early...:

I'm a day away from 14 weeks! We did our 12 week scan 2 weeks ago and everything is looking good - the Doctor even thinks there is an 80% it's a girl! But better to not shop yet, and says between 16-20 weeks should be able to confirm gender.

Morning sickness is also gone - THANK GOODNESS! But still always very tired and lazy, maybe because I've cut back on coffee, not drinking it everyday.

Hey serene, how early in Ur pregnancy (no. Of weeks) that U started finding for a confinement lady? I don't know when is the right time or am I too early...:

I started looking btw week 12-13 cos my sis-in-law recommended me hers who was good and told me she quite popular cos they have friends who are giving birth this year also intend to take her. Actually didn't intend to look so early, planning after 4th month then look for one but i read comments from forum that the good confinement ladies get snapped up quite fast. which stage of your pregnancy are u at now?

Hi Mtb, happy lunar year.!

Yesterday just went for gynae visit, first time listening to my bb heartbeat. Almost tears. Lol
Was trying to check on the gender but gynae couldn't cfm at all.... :)

I'm a day away from 14 weeks! We did our 12 week scan 2 weeks ago and everything is looking good - the Doctor even thinks there is an 80% it's a girl! But better to not shop yet, and says between 16-20 weeks should be able to confirm gender.

Morning sickness is also gone - THANK GOODNESS! But still always very tired and lazy, maybe because I've cut back on coffee, not drinking it everyday.

Congrats.. ur doc managed to assess quite early! at 12w my baby was v uncooperative so no gender assessment, only at 15w she flipped a lot and doc managed to see.

yeah i can totally understand the coffee thing- i used to be a starbucks loyal 4xshots a day customer when I was working and need to be alert for long hours. now i cut to half or 1 cup a week! super nua

Back