(2013/06) June 2013

Afternoon mummies..

malbeths > Weekend escapade sounds good.. Take this as a chance to wind down from work.
happy.gif

BTW, I remember seeing a post on where to get sterilizing tablets to sterilize the pumps but couldn't find.. Can I just check again do you purchase Pigeon sterilizing tablets or any other brands recommended? Thanks!

Hi Kome, no queue to go into Mcare at all today (was there from 10.30 to 12.30), just a short queue for the cashier. I thought it was worth going to buy baby clothes cos have 50% plus 20% off. For rompers (set of 5), all at 30% off.

Mabelths - agree you need to relax more, your work sounds so über stressful! The BH contractions are ok if you just have them a few times a day and they're painless. But will need gynae attention if it increases in frequency ie or becomes very regular.

Wyjune- any brand of sterilising tablets will do, the chemicals are the same. I've used the Milton and Boots brand before mainly cos I bought it in UK. Here pigeon etc is prob the same, just buy whichever is on offer?

MofMM
Thanks. On my wAy down now. Planning to stay there for at least 2hrs or so. Haha.....hope I can control myself.

kome, that deal seems good cos it comes with sterilizer, warmer and milk bottles.. im using avent bottles for my #1 too but i need another set for my new house and avent/pigeon bundle doesnt comes with warmer!! Their warmer itself costs $70 liao! faint~

btw, anyone knows whats the offer for the upcoming taka sales? i cant find the brochure online...

Hi mummyabsent n mummync. My husband is norwegian n yes its a beautiful country but long winter :) eldest is born in sg the second is in norway. Maternity leave here is good bcos of the high tax we pay hahaha....but now have the feeling spring is coming getting brighter n brighter everyday :)

Hapieger
I got the warmer in a bundle pack when I purchase Avent single breastpump. Also cost $70+. So now I more to see dunno is the tommy sterilizer good or the Avent set. Saw review that the Avent sterilizer base will need to descale it quite often if not will turn yellowish. Need to go read some more than see if I wanted to get or not.

justcactus - so u will be giving birth in norway or in singapore?
happy.gif
ur working there also i presume..spring time!!
happy.gif

mabelths - yeah jus need to monitor..tummy harden is contractions but if u dont even know then haha i assume its jus braxton hicks..
yeah i know what u mean..i also never put on wt from last appt then dr was abti like hmm..worried tt baby never grow..then in the end it was 312g to 700g..so tt was gd ;)

windy - yes it happens when i walk too..quite normal..jus slow ur pace n take slow deep breathes..after awhile it shld relax again..

Questions to all mummy..i heard that if u breastfeed u dun need sterliser?? N if u use pacifier u only need to boil with water. In a way save electric :)

My mother wants me to give birth in sg but my husband say its better to give birth here since its in a way free. so will be hving bb here in norway n fly back when the bb is 1mth.:) n i am working once a week now due to my highblood. I was took off from work for 2 mths b4 christmas n bck 50 percent in feb n then bloodpressure went up again so now working 20 percent.

Justcactus
If you are using the breastpump, I think it's better to sterilize all the parts before the next use. Newborn do not have antibiotics yet so everything must be as clean as possible. For the pacifier wise, I will put to sterilize if I going to sterilize all the bottles. If not I will just wash with cold water first than use hot water to some sort sterilize it.

Cactus - why do u want to fly back here after bb is born? Surely easier for family to stay together in Norway?

My eldest also born in Sg, no.2 born in Switzerland.. Even now every weekend my oldest girl keeps asking whether we can go to the mountains and she wants to play with snow.. I miss having 4 seasons!

Yes if you bf you don't need a steriliser. Do you have a dishwasher? Some ppl just throw into the dishwasher and the steam from it acts as a steriliser too.. But you can just boil them for a short while too

We bought a dishwasher even here in Sg - used to it, cannot survive without one now - and I'm planning to just wash/sterilise all the bottles/pacifiers/pump parts in it.

My parents n sister is in sg lol....so coming bck to visit them for 5 weeks then bck home. N true never thought of dishwasher lol..tks for the tips. My hubby cannot live without dishwasher hahaha.....

Tks for the tips too kome. :)

True my oldest son loves to go skiing n snowbording lol...my second one loves skiing.....i hv a friend who also had kids in germany n now she is living in sg said her two daughters wants to go bck to germany lol...

True my oldest son loves to go skiing n snowbording lol...my second one loves skiing.....i hv a friend who also had kids in germany n now she is living in sg said her two daughters wants to go bck to germany lol...

My mother wants me to give birth in sg but my husband say its better to give birth here since its in a way free. so will be hving bb here in norway n fly back when the bb is 1mth.:) n i am working once a week now due to my highblood. I was took off from work for 2 mths b4 christmas n bck 50 percent in feb n then bloodpressure went up again so now working 20 percent.

absentmama/ mummync: thanks for the advice!
happy.gif
for me my gynae didnt seem too concern for the fact i didnt put on weight. from start of preggy till now i put on 2.6kg in total..so maybe still ok? she nv seem to really monitor my weight..it's me who is the paranoid one..haha

justcactus: how nice! i'm sure norway is a beautiful place! i havent been there but my parents did and they love the nordic region...i heard the maternity leave there is pretty long? i have colleagues in sweden who told me in sweden they have 9 mths..and norway is 13mths!!!

haha..i guess when u are in Europe for some time, you'll prefer the slower pace of life than hectic Asia. many of my colleagues and friends moved to Europe to work and eventually stay there.

In norway the maternity leave for mother i 1 yr n father is 3 mths. N live here is like u said not so hectic n working hour a little more shorter n in summer some places close even earlier lol..

I hv lose 5kg ever since i got pregnant n now slowly putting on weight lol...200gm every 2 weeks. but as long bb is growing so its fine for me n i am on the heavy side so i hv enuff to lose lol....im now 27 weeks. I was with the gyne when i was 25 weeks n he said my bb weighs about 900gm. So this one gonna be a big boy i think.

i went mothercare fair yesterday evening... not so crowded anymore. Still got quite a bit to buy la... I ended up spending $400 on carriers and aden&adais muslim cloths, some newborn clothes.

Still thinking of whether to buy the medela breast pump

all my friends recommended the medela breastpumps. they mentioned that their peers who had used avent tends to stop breastfeeding earlier than those who used medela.

once, I'd asked abt tommee milk bottles at kiddy palace and the staff just pointed to the box which read "made in china". then she recommended pigeon and avent bottles to me.

Estaefran, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that tommy tippee is made in china.. Although I'm not a fan of it anyway, tried before but the eldest didnt like it much

Other brands to consider -

Nuk (made in Germany)
BiBi (made in Switzerland)
Medela (made in Switzerland - all the Swiss hospitals use this for the babies, machiam like national brand product)

justcactus, my boy too estimated 900g last week when I was 25wks+ The gynae assured me that's normal and average. I thought it's quite huge as well.

At the Mothercare fair I bought more AA sleeping bags (at 50% off), Charlie Banana washable breast pads, JJ Cole body support for car seat and a few more miscellaneous stuff. Was there last Friday the shop was quite messy but overall shopping experience still okay.

A friend of mine who managed to bf for over a year recommended I get the Avent manual pump first. She says it's very good and useful for travels. If planning to express more then should consider Medela Freestyle or PIS, also depending on baby whether he/she will latch on or prefers bottles.

So I don't want to commit several hundreds first.. Anyway the warranty starts from date of purchase.

justcactus: The bundle at mothercare is 699, freestyle plus a breastfeeding canopy and something else (oops)...

Buying baby stuff is a like a brand new arena.. no matter how much research I do.. sometimes still don't know what I am buying. Sigh

Actually regarding warranty, there's no hard and fast rule about when it starts. I went down to Medela Service Centre for servicing and if you didn't send in your warranty card or register online, it starts from when your child is born.

Is there anyone looking for Philips Avent classic bottles? I have 6 newborn (125 ml) and 10 normal (260 ml) bottles with teats and caps. Totally brand new. Letting go at $6 each. Do let me know if keen.

uh-oh..i got the Avent ISIS duo breast pump already...hope it'll be good...so far i heard good feedback on Avent, but then again i guess it depends on individual.

i've gotten the set too so will be using avent bottles. my cousin actually gave me a set of 2 tupperware milk bottles when she knew i was pregnant, so i may use them as spares too
happy.gif

Chewie
I like to get some more bottles. Think will get another 2 small n 3 normal one. Can PM me your account number?

Oh great, I will send together with your Carters ok? You pay me together?

Left with 4 small and 5 normal size Philips Avent Classic bottle
happy.gif
By the way my bottles are from drugstore.com, not some unknown source...

Hi Chewie, for the normal size Classic bottle, the teats that comes with each is for how many months? Is the bottle the same as the gold series (colic-free)?

hiya birdbird my gyne said my bb is going to be big lol... around 3.8 to 4.5kg but never know maybe he is wrong will know more later on my next appt. =)

I think different from the honey coloured one. Mine is this one - http://www.drugstore.com/avent-polypropylene-bpa-free-baby-bottles-dual-pack-4-oz/qxp222480?catid=182610
I've never used Avent bottles so not familiar with the different kinds. I just bought... but ended up using Medela

By the way, I'm planning to get Medela storage bottles from Amazon. Anyone keen to get? Need to rack up 40 bottles to get S$3.50 per bottle... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DXX4DQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMQA1YX1U88ID
Personally I can take 10-15 bottles cos I wanna change #1's bottles too... Let me know?

For the medela storage bottle, does it come with teat?

Just wanna ask, actually I have >40 bpa free evenflo bottles and glass bottles. I used the bottles for about 20mths and stopped bf for about a yr ago.. is it ok to sterilizer them and reuse it? its a waste to throw away all...

Back