(2012/04) Apr 2012

Ginger, I'll pump 2-3 times in office, if bottles, I'll need 4-6 bottles! Last time I poured into bag then bring home using the smaller fridge-to-go bag called lunch or something.

Ladies, just finished gynae visit, I've fresh blood droplets yesterday and this morning, 3-4 drops. Gynae said placenta tip is closed to cervix, mc for this week! Baby at good size 663 gm at 24W.

Hi everyone

Wow I cannot keep up with the FB chats!! So that's why I haven't been contributing. Everything is moving too fast for me!

With #1 in kindy now, I have very little time to myself. Glad I made choice to cut down on work

Jojay
Re your Q on leaving baby at home alone with maid. I think it's a personal choice. For me I gave up my helper when my #1 was less than 3 months, before I went back to work. I just didn't trust the way she did things so I quit my job to take care of my #1. No regrets. Helper must see heng-suay one. If you're lucky, you get one you can trust. If not, even bigger headache. Perhaps you could get one now so you have time to train her and find out more about her strengths and weaknesses. Good luck!

Gasp. Just realised over the weekend that I'll be giving birth in 12-13 weeks time! Wow whee!! Still haven't made any changes to my #1's room to accomodate one extra tenant! Hehe

MeinMe
I envy you, I delivered my no.1 at 37 week at 1.875kg. Very small..hoping for healthy and big baby this time round but many people also commented on my small tummy.. Haiz..
Shiok, can stay at home to rest for 1 week ya.. :p

Ginger,
When I was working previously, I used bottles for transport and storage and lansinoh milk bags for freezing.. co's glass bottles cannot be used for freezing.

meime, lotusmum> thanks! can i aso ask. if pump 2-3 times in office. can i mix the milk of each pump together if they are within the same day? or each pump has to be stored individually?

MeinMe: Have a good rest at home this week! Wow.. 3.5kg at 37 kg is also big! Just came home from gynae checkup. So far at almost 26 wks i've put on 10 kg... BB is around 877g. I hope I can keep my total gain < 16 kg... wonder if it is possible. Doc said I should be able to have natural delivery.

meiNme

OMG hope u r alright ...

mine initial #1 weight 48kg, then i gain 20Kg, shed off 18kg then #2 i gain so far 4kg .. hope dun increase too much :p

i brought milk bag fr this spree, ladies might want to take a look
happy.gif

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/6485729.html?1326078391

mine #1 i use Lansinoh too, this is new brand , hvnt try but i brought liao, kia su :p

andreanie, you are very close to me for EDD and very similar to me in terms of weight gain! I also just turned 27 weeks on Fri and weight gain so far is 0kg! In fact, I lost another 1.5kg in the last 3 weeks due to change in diet! But gynae says bb is still gaining weight and growing well so don't need to worry.

meinme, where are you getting your Lansinoh bags from? any cheap source? I am thinking of getting from agape babies.

gingerbreadger, cannot mix the milk as they are of different temperature. You can only mix once they are the same temperature.

Just finished gynae appt. Baby had a growth spurt this month! Estimated 1.5 kg @27 weeks. Now considered.bigger than average.

meinme, take care and rest well for this week! try not to walk too much and overexert!

All this talk about baby weight! i dunno how heavy is mine, the last check was 600grams at 24 weeks. I will only be seeing gynae after CNY! what a long wait!

My next gynea appt is next Tues..also will go to TMC for hospital tour.. tink also is time for hubby n me to sign up the prenatal course. Heard that mt A fully booked..
I m walking much slower now..both foot abit
water retention alrdy ;/

Hi hi mummies

Jus done with check up
Bb weighing 900g at week 24 haha...gynea said abit big but is ok...commented he has big nose when doin 3D scan

Thanks ladies.

I'm dead xian at home with no activity since this afternoon. Not sure if I can tahan the rest of the week. I still remembered for no.1 initial stage, i i I was ordered to rest in bed for 10 days, I only did 3 days then broke free after my bleeding clear out.

Ginger, you may pour together after you 'rest' your freshly expressed milk for sometime as what the rest explained.

Starrie, I'll be getting from the BP thread, all of them have similar pricing $17 for box of 50pc then cheaper if you buy more boxes.

Hi,
Just wanna grumble:
My belly button is very ugly right now. Its like a big round crater and a bump in the middle. Yucks! =(
1st time not like this de.
So poor thing, after having to get expanded for the 2nd time of its life as my belly button.

Milkbags: i used boots milk bag for #1 and i have a spare box. So can continue to use.
But i am interested to try Lansinoh too. May i know where i can get them? Any spree going on for the milk bags?

Thanks!
Jesline

meinme, you can chat with me if you want! I am at home all day too and getting sian! Lol.... But do take care and rest well.
happy.gif

I am also getting from bp thread (the one by agape babies) coz buying a few items from her like California Baby, Desitin etc... and her collection point is convenient for me. I saw that if we buy more boxes it is cheaper but doubt I will get more than 1 box first as not sure of my supply.

Jesline, can get milk bags from the bp seller I mentioned above.

Went for my 26 wk check today. BB is abt 1kg, gynae never day whether is too big or is avg. Only keep mentioning we being pregnant, should try not to think too much, dun compare here n there... Heehee...

Do we have to get a cooler bag to transport the frozen milk from 1 place to another?

Hey ladies,

For my number one i pump 3 times at work when i first went back and up till 1 year later still pumping 3 times a day. As i have a double pump, i will pump into 2 bottles - 1 breast 1 bottle each. Then immediately after pumping that session, i will pour the milk from the 2 bottles into 1 bottle - at room temperature. So aftr 3 pumps i will have 3 bottles full of milk - sometimes may go into 4 bottles depending.

So i bring 6 bottles to work - 2 bottles that i use to pump with and then 4 bottles to store the milk. The 4 bottles with milk i will place in the medela cooler bag with the medela ice pack. And the other 2 bottles i leave it with the pump etc in a lunch box container that is kept in the fridge at all times. Similarly my 4 bottles are kept in the fridge at all times - my ice pack i put in the freezer the moment i get to work and take it out and put it in the cooler bag when i leave for work.

So i have a lunch box with 2 flannels etc and 2 bottles in th fridge at all times and take it out 3 times a day when i pump - once done, immediately put back into fridge.

I use lansinoh bags - they are THE BEST - Only when i want to freeze the milk. so what i pump today, when i reach home - i transfer into drinking bottles for baby immediately to drink tomorrow. What i pump on friday is completely frozen and on mondays i take out the oldest frozen milk bags to defrost for baby to drink on Monday.

This is what my cousin taught me to ensure your frozen milk is constantly being cycled and will not expire. ALso this ensures that your baby does not drink frozen milk all the time - only on mondays. Cos milk no matter how you store, once defrosted some vitamins will die.

I know some mummies who freeze all the milk they pump and then just keep defrosting oldest milk to let baby drink - this is not ideal, as this means your baby ends up drinking frozen milk all the time which is not necessary.

If you have any questions about pumping and breastfeeding can ask me - i breastfed for 2 1/2 years. Latch on when at home and pumped at work also for 2 1/2 years. So know all the tips and tricks

wow mel you pumped 3 times a day at work? i think i only did twice. so grateful that colleagues didn't raise an eyebrow cos it took me a long time to walk to nursing room plus clean plus pump plus store plus wash. in the end at least half an hour each session!

ginger
i only mixed the milk if they are all defrosted in fridge at same time. eg if i pump at diff times then freeze, and i take 2 bags to defrost and warm up to give my baby

for mummies who are looking for a non typical cream for dry tummies, i recently discovered JERGENS is quite good. from guardian/watsons.

ms tan
me too. walking much slower now. and already said bye bye to my agility liao. tummy getting bigger plus butt cramp, so walking like old woman now!

meinme
oh no you also kena bed rest? rest rest well!!

i had my check up last sat, 24 weeks baby weight 788g, gynea said a bit too big ask me to stop eating sugar and sweet stuffs.

Hi Pink Bunny, if you have a fridge at work, you don't need to wash the pump between pump sessions - you just dump it in the fridge after pumping. As long as its cold its ok. so when you want to pump for your second and third time, you just take it out from the fridge to pump.

Only when u reach home, then you wash it. It took me about 15 mins per session.

Mel, good job. I supposed you can do even better for this one.

I'll leave the freshly expressed milk bottles (closed with caps) on table to cool down then put in fridge. At end of day, pour everthing into bags to bring home in the fridge-to-go bag. Bottles are washed and left to sterile for next day pump. I only bring home the parts and bottles on last day of the week to sterilise again in the electric sterilizer. In office, I used sterlization tablets.

Yes, baby supposed to drink freshly expressed milk as the milk that we had produced at that time is kind of "cater" to their needs at the point of time. I'll freeze some and let her drink some on the next day together with some frozen milk.

Silver, if you are using the Medela Pump In Style Advanced, it comes with a cooler bag, however, I do not use that. I bought a separate cooler bag under the brand Fridge-to-Go. http://www.babytown.com.sg/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&amp;search_in_description=1&amp;zenid=4facfc5d67f653aaa9d9ff268955e3de&amp;keyword=fridge+to+go

Back to me, been sitting in front of the computer since this morning since I cannot move around. Still have droplet of fresh blood, I really hope that this can clear by this week then I can go back to office. Too boring at home!!!

My gynae saw my jaws dropping when he said 2 weeks MC, he has changed to say 1 week MC, go back for another week if the droplets doesn't clear up. phew.

A few of you has asked about my helper's timetable, attached for your reference:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_zip.gif

Daily schedule.zip (18.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>
This is my 2nd helper from this agency (4-5th from my family as a whole) but I won't recommend because the old couple that owned this place has sold the business to someone else. The old couple is very pro-working people schedule, that is, they opened on Sat and till 5pm on Sun to cater to our working schedule. New operator is only till 1pm on Sat and closed on Sun.

I've gotten my then helper in before my delivery because is CNY period, therefore, I got her in 6 weeks before to give her time to adapt. Her schedule is just HB and me and 2 toy breed dogs. The 2nd one more xiong because my girl has more activities. I'm glad that she has extended her contract with me for 2 years. By then, the little one is ready for pre-school and I can source for a new helper with ease.

MeinMe: Maybe you can rent DVDs to watch? Wah, you schedule is super detailed! I think I will use it as reference when I get a new maid during my maternity leave.

Mel, I find them a little greasy after pump, therefore, I washed them after every pump.

El, confirmed you changing? Yes, please take it as a reference. I used to be in the financial/ complinace sector, therfore, every single step also need to document!!! I never update the schedule for a long long time cause my helper will do her own notes on calendar to remember details.

I not TV person, prefer to surf the net. kekeke

Hi All Mummies

Sorry to interupt. I got 1 BN similac mum 900g expiry date 2013 but forgot which mth. Giving away for a token of 6 BN big pkts of pigeon wet wipes. I also got some sample pkts to give together. Anyone keen, pls email me at [email protected]
Tks

quick question: digital thermometer for babies, must we buy one that is specially for babies (if there is even such a thing) or can we use the same one for adults? thanks!!

Tangerinez: Actually I just use the normal digital thermometer and stick under armpits for my kids!
I did buy the Pigeon ear thermometer before, but I find that measuring temperature under armpits more accurate.

buy one that can do forehead scanning. i used to have a 2 in 1, can do forehead and ear, but spoilt.

in the BP thread, they are doing overseas spree for Braun, seems reasonable.

I used Braun ear for my girl but I remembered my friend told me Braun is not ideal for baby, she got hers from KKH retail, cannot remember the brand. I've also bought a forehead thermometer for her too!!!

Eash of us at home has our own normal digital thermometer!!! HB, me, helper and my girl.

Yes, armpit is closest, I think ear will be slightly higher.

thanks mummies, so sounds like normal digital thermometer also can use. but mine seems too big to stick into baby's ears haha.

ni, i'll check out the spree, think i saw it earlier. thanks!

According to d pediatrician, the ear thermometer will b slightly higher.

My boy refused to use the normal digital thermometer as he tends to move ard and lift his armpit when we try to take his temperature. End up no choice but to get the same ear thermometer after d 1st one was spoilt.

me too, use the braun ear thermometer. very fast and easy. but got to buy the plastic cap to cover the part that goes into the ear and that can be pricey. never thought about forehead ones!

mel
didn't think about that! but also wonder how clean the fridge at work was :S

meinme, just saw your daily schedule. Super detailed! I think I am going to take it as a good reference guide. Tks!
happy.gif

I am also more of a surf net person rather than TV person. But I think there is a limit to how much you can surf if you are at home all day! I am getting bored too!

tangerinez, I got the Braun thermometer from the overseas spree thread. Managed to get one from a spree that arrived last Sat so will be receiving my thermometer and filters tomorrow. (filters are the plastic caps that goes into the ears) Think there are 1 thread with ready stock (only few dollars extra) so you can check it out if you don't want to wait.

After the Braun thermometer spoils, I might check out getting a forehead one! Couldn't find a good forehead one so settled for Braun first.

question:

when we pump, which parts do we need to sterilise or wash? I vaguely remember some parts cannot sterilise or wash else water droplets get stuck inside. I am going to use freestyle.

Is it also ok not to wash or sterilise after each pump since some of you are mentioning no need to wash after each pump and can just wash at night? Does this apply even when we are pumping at home before going back to work? Tks.

Thermometer: I use the forehead one. Very hard to get baby or toddler to sit still to use ear or armpit ones. Mine is forehead + ear. But use forehead for #1 only. Even then I can hardly get her to stay still for that 1 second. hahaha...

Freestyle Pump: All wash and sterilise except the MOTOR and the Tubing.

Sterilising is recommended after each pump for cleanliness. I got 2 sets of parts for pumping in office. So i sterilise at home and bring to office for use. After baby is 6 months, i stopped the sterilising, just pour over with hot water if required. Else just make sure everything wash clean. This is for all pumps and baby bottles, etc.
I have friends who sterilise everything until their kids are 2 years old.
At home I have like 6 or more milk bottles, so I can also just sterilise like once or twice a day.
This personal hygiene thingy is more like your own preference and level of acceptance. Books will teach you to sterilise every other thing until baby is at 6 months old or start on semi-solids.

Hihi,
Thanks Dolphin and Starrie for the info on Lansinoh milk bags.

Thermometer: We have been using the Braun ear thermometer.

Meinme: Thanks for sharing the details schedule.

I just recently got a myanmar maid in November last yr. And she is our first maid. Becos #2 coming so i reckon my MIL cannot handle alone, so got a helper who stays with us but will go to MIL hse (opp block)to help out after she completes those tasks I listed out for her at our home.
She worked b4 in Sg, not new maid.
And we recently found that she have lied and not been honest to us even when we have always encouraged her to tell us anything that she wants or needs.
Mayb im more emo now, so i felt she took our kindness for granted - for we tried to treat her as part of family, bring her holidays and make her feel at home. =(

Anyway,we are planning to install CCTV in our house, out of no choice because she betrayed our trust and now it is very hard for us to believe whether she is lying or telling truth.. But decide to keep her to help in housework and take care of #1. Integrity aside, she can work plus we lazy to retrain.

Does anyone has maid and CCTV?
isnt it very obvious the maid knows she is under supervision and will she hide more things from us?
Or will she go hide in corners which the camera cannot see her?
At first my values tells me it is not right as maid also have her privacy. But guess have no choice leh, as we need her to be under supervision in order to regain trust in her.
As a matter of fact, we lose our own privacy in our own house as well, becos of her.

I believe many of you have more experience than me in handling maids. I do have a lot to learn about handling them, and not get bullied by them.
Pls share. Can also PM me so that we wun bomabard the thread.

Thanks in advance! =)

Hi mummies,

I have the following to let go:
1) Brand New in box - 125ml/4oz Avent Feeding Bottles (3pcs in a box)
2) 4 boxes of Size 2 Avent teats and 3 boxes of Size 1 Avent teats. (Note: each box has 2 teats)

Please PM me.

Starrie: I got the Freestyle Parts Kit and the breastshields. You can see the sample from here.
http://www.prettymums.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_41&amp;products_id=162
http://www.prettymums.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_41&amp;products_id=161
Hp
I got 1 extra pair for each. Helps to cut down on number of washings at home too. Can pump twice before washing. The spare parts are not exactly cheap, else I would have gotten more for my own laziness. =P
2 sets are enough for me to pump in office. You might also want to get extra bottles or milk bags to store the expressed milk in office. I just bring 4 bottles.
What I do is every morning, I will wash and sterilise the pump parts and put in ziplock bag. 1 bag for 1 set. Bring the cooler bag, 4 bottles, cooler pack, 2 ziplock bags, pump motor (without the adapter), tubings to work. Can easily fit into a medium size bag.
The pump sets after use, i will just rinse and put back into the ziplock bag. Go home den wash thoroughly. This helps me save a washing time at work. Already very paisei that I need to keep running to the lactation room, so, just wanna keep the timing as short as i can.

hey, can i ask. i realise some of you will pump and express and put into boots bag, then go back transfer to lansohni one for freezing. y must transfer? can jus pump and put into lansohni one, then bring back freeze. like that can save on the boots one isnt it?

ginger, I'll used Boots for transporation only. I'll use Lansinoh if I intend to freeze in bigger ml. Currently, I only intend to freeze in small ml/bag, around 120ml or 150ml per bag. I remembered there is 1 stage where my girl drank 240ml for 1 feed, I just need to thaw 2 bags of 120ml.

This is how I freeze them flat in 120ml using Avent bag which is already out of production. Playtex has similar bags which I've used before and will use for this time.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsiPzdXHJ

I do 200-220ml in Lansinoh bag which is very bulky, take up space in the freezer.

Anyone heard of boba baby slings? Went to the novena outlet n the lady demo the sling.. Find it very good. $79. The store lady did a very good explanation too on the sling n really convince us..
happy.gif
Hubby n me thinking to get n when baby is heavier will consider their other carrier.

Cheekyduckie, tks for the info. Very helpful to a 1st timer like me.
happy.gif

I will probably get 1 extra set too as I am also quite lazy. Hee... The idea of being able to pump twice before washing and sterilising is quite appealing especially at early stages when we need to pump every 3-4 hours. By the time I finish 1 round of pumping and washing, no time to rest and probably have to pump for next round.

Btw, do we also need to get the spare tubing? How often to change tubing since we don't need to wash and sterilise it? What abt the connectors and valves and membranes? Need to get spare? Tks for answering my questions. Really a lot to learn.

For those interested in Braun thermometer, this is the seller I got my thermometer from (just received today in good condition). Seems like she has already placed the order for the current batch she is taking orders for so the items might come in faster rather than waiting for another seller to consolidate orders and place orders. http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/4277386.html?1326261454

But if you don't want to wait, then you can also try this seller as she says she has ready stock. I bought my thermometer + 40 filters for $71 and her bundle price is $73 so can consider as only $2 extra and no waiting time.
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/590029/5961370.html?1325606319

Do take a look if interested. I am not related to any of them and just helping mummies here in case you want the items fast as I know our countdown clock is ticking!
happy.gif

Back