(2012/02) Feb 2012

Hazel, think you read up or get more info on the different brands of FM first as the nurse will ask which brand you will prefer them to feed ur bb after he/she is born, in case BM not enough. For me, I intent to use either Friso or Similac for #2. Still deciding.

yah, bb drink very little for 1st week. actually bb has enough reserve for the first 2-3days after they are born.

Khim, u mean tmc uses so many brands? At KKH, they always change their FM brands. So, they wun ask mommies what brand we prefer. They will just feed bb with the brand that the hospital is using then.

Which brand no 1 uses? Whats the deciding factor for frisco or similac?

Jascmy, frisco only give samples at 6 mths? I dun like to anyhow change brand once bb is used to it.. Unless the brand dun suit bb...

Hazel, yes, TMC has many brands of those instant liquid FM. So you can choose the brand.

For my #1, I tried a few brands - Similac, Nan and Friso for the first 6 months.
Initially i used Similac 1 but its a bit too heaty for my girl, then I changed to Nan HA but the milk powder produces too much bubbles when my girl drinks, so in the end i used Friso 1 till she is 6-8 months. Afterwhich, I used change Similac 2 and she is still taking Abbott milk powder. It is really a matter of personal preference/choice.

Hazel, jus get the free sample tins for all brands and keep at home. Once bb start FM, you can try the one you preferred. If not suitable then change to another brand. So in that case no need to buy and then wasted if bb not suitable. Jus try till bb suitable then stick to it. If the samples are not used at all, can sell cheap in forum. Earn some milk money. hehee...
For my #1, friso gave me 1 tin FM for newborn and it arrived on the same day I reach home with bb. My friends all got it too. But now, my sis-in law told me she nvr get any calls from friso that she will get the free tin till now. She called them up and they say they encourage bf so totally stop giving liao. So I guess I won't get it this time round. Will sure get it from 6mths. Actually all brands give 1 free tin for 6mths bb. Then thereafter when they are abt to upgrade to higher stage. Till when bb 12mths then they will only give 2 or 3 sachets instead of tin. Same practice for all brands.

Khim & jascmy, thanks so much for your advice! Ok, I go register!
happy.gif

I bought 2 tins of infant FM for standby already, Karihome. Haha...cos my boy drinks Karihome so i will give the same. He started on S26 (i think) when he was at KKH, switched him to Nan when we reached home. But he got bad acid reflux so he was on Friso Comfort. Then continued with Friso. Then he kenna bronchitis shortly before he turned 1 and i switched to Karihome. So far so good...he is turning 2 in Feb next year.

Jiayou mummies...it is indeed really really tiring. My boy high fever last week, admitted to hospital. Been carrying him to sleep every night. Not sure how long i can be on this auto pilot mode as well but what to do. To have kids, is our decision.

Been having braxton hicks very very often for a couple of weeks now. Coming to week 33 for me now and i'm really feeling the strain. Rashes getting worse as well. Looking forward to starting my ML soon.

jascmy,ya got got, i saw karihome infant FM at ntuc (jurong point and kangkar mall), cold storage (compass pt) and kim sang medical hall (fernvale and pioneer mrt station). but i know some mummies dun like cos they say karihome no DHA. I never really check thou. Just prefer to give this as its more suitable for my boy n hopefully meimei!

Butterwaffles, hope ur boy is much better now. Very siong in our current state to take care of them, esp if they are sick.

Me also getting braxton hicks more often, around 6 times a day. But heard is considered normal as uterus is preparing itself. Heartburn also getting a bit more..

As for FM, I use enfalac, probably will stick to it.

I inexperienced, dunno how to distinguish baxton hicks to bb curling up! Kekeke

Cyy, r u seeing sf one more time before he leaves KKH? For patients not following him, he wks have handed the case over to another dr.. I simply adore dr loh! He told me in 2 wks time he will do ctg for me and monitor my case closely as I hv come so far.. Coz some thing like umbical cord risk he can't tell from scan.. Only ctg can tell. Already at the stage where bb is able to live on its own If deliver early. So he Said will monitor bb closely. He is super GD! Tell me he sees my stomach already know bb is growing well! Then when I lie down, he presses on my tummy, he said bb is of gd size! He said last time no scan machine n this is how he tells. then he confirmed via scan...

GG Lee,
im curious abt braxton hicks....how do you know when there is one? is it like contraction (ie. stomach muscle tighten) ?

Sweetcorn, Braxton hicks are false contractions with out the pain.. But maybe uncomfortable.. The abdomen will Tighten up for a few seconds, I read, can be up to a minute then relaxed.. I m not sure what I am experiencing are braxton hicks coz, at times can last a few minutes.. That is why I wonder is Braxton hicks I m getting or bb curl up...

Sweetcorn, hazel, yes the tummy will suddenly tighten, usually lasts about a min then relaxes. Its painless. If happens many times in an hr then must b careful, could b sign of birth. My 1st one I also blur, 2nd one more aware.

If many times hv to tell gynae.. If gynae feels that is too early for bb to arrive, he will prescribe muscle relaxer... I hv friends that hv regular Braxton hicks as early as 20wks n was put on medication...

Actually, I dun really bother if Braxton hicks or not for my case, coz if labour set in, contractions will come.. N now at our stage, bb if premature is quite safe already... Also, I hv v low pain threshold so if they r real contractions, even v mild I also cannot tahan.... :p

Hi mommies to be, sorry to jump in.
since I'm not bf anymore, I have a Medela Freestyle pump to let go. 2months old and hardly use. Interested please drop me a pm.

Hazel, GG Lee,

So happy we went to see our baby today and I asked abt Braxton hicks. I asked him how do i know if it's Braxton hicks. he said, it's "painless" but to some ppl, it's pain or uncomfortable, depending on threshold of the person. He said you will know if there is one. Then he said, i cannot tell you how it feels like cos there is so far no pregnancy simulator! hahaha at this point, it made me laugh. true also...maybe i asked too many question till he buay tahan me...lol

he said if you feel something not usual, eg unusually pain, then call him.

Yea GG Lee, i heard if it happens too often within an hour, gotta watch out...

tan stephenie (babypearl)
Username: babypearl

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 7:06 am:   
Hi, I am a OCT mummy.
I have a medela mini electric single pump to let go at $90.
Bot brand-new from Robinson. Used 2 weeks & swap to formula.

Self collection in novena area.
Interested, pls contact Steph 98458445

Khim, other than the admission letter, does TMC require pre booking of ward type n deposit payment prior to admission? Thank you.

Merry Xmas to all mommies & your loved ones!!!!

Hazel, yes my clinic helped me prebooked room type already. And I also received confirmation from Tmc via mail. Deposit I think it's on the day of admission then provide.

Re: amount of milk for newborn
Baby's stomach is the size of a pea for te first few days. And they have reserve to last abt 4 days so dun be too worried if they r not drinking much. And at 2 weeks, their stomach is only the size of a golf ball.

Re: free milk from Tmc.
Heard from wbb that starting 1 Jan, Tmc will no longer be providing free milk for babies. This is part of their effort to promote breastfeeding. Formula milk will be charged at $1 per bottle. It'll probably be harder for us to request for free bottles too.
sad.gif

Planet, u also delivering inTMC also? How many wks were u when u pre booked. My gynae said if i want, he will give me admission letter next visit at 33+wks.

Yes, bb stomach is v small at birth. But bb needs to be well hydrated if not, jaundice level may goes up from d4 on wards.

Hazel, Merry Xmas to you too!

To all mommies here, a very merry Xmas to u and family! A safe and healthy pregnancy throughout!

Merry Xmas sweetcorn n all mummies n all babies!
happy.gif

Hazel, yup me will be delivering at Tmc! I was 29 wks when my doc booked for me. Few days later I rcv-ed tmc's letter by mail.

Planet, that reminds me that I hv a pre booking ward form TMC have me during hospital tour. Just need to complete n submit! Thanks so much!

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope all u ladies enjoyed your weekend wif your loved ones! BKK baby mooning was fantastic, bought loads of bb clothings- HB said I'm kiasu to even buy 1year old dresses but the Carter's r soo cheap at only abt $3+ per pc. HB ultra jealous that he's the one carrying the plastic bags for his 2 ladies. Hahaha.

Mummies Serene, Linda n Sweetcorn, sorry ladies to disappoint you. I have searched the city branch, and the airport Boots- milk bags were out of stock.
sad.gif
can't get any at all.
sad.gif
think we'll have to pay more for other brands now or try to latch to save cost.

Hi Mummies,

I am a Dec 2011 mummy, currently doing my confinement now.
In case you are keen to look for a good CL, please PM me.

My CL is available in early Feb.

Jen, I am from April mummies thread.. Gg bkk in jan.. Where did you get the Carter's clothing for baby? I will like to get it from bkk too since it is so cheap! Hee

Hey GG, yup-me flew
happy.gif
Seems airline r not bother wif pregnant women, my gynae letter was wif me all the while but no one asked for it. BKK airport was also quite needy pro- the airport staff led me n Hb to express clearance when they see my tummy, everything was smooth n fast! Got the Carter's stuffs along Indra sq market. The tag is carter but made in Thailand. Quality wise- no difference wuf the ones i bought from US spree so its quite good deal!
happy.gif
Went platinum but didn't get much ladies clothings cause of my preggy state.

Hi Dwie, the Indra sq market is most happening on Sunday n starts from 10am onwards wif a lot of stalls. It's right infront of Baiyoke sky hotel where we stayed. You can get carter set at ard 100baht n cute Disney baby home wear at 4 for 100bahts, very affordable. My HB got Levi's jeans for 299baht per pc, in my view, its better to shop here than chatuchak cause its a wholesale market place n easier to bargain for wholesale price when u buy more than 3pcs. it took me whole afternoon to comb whole market so prepare yourself wif water for hydration!

Hi Jen, thanks so much for your information.. I know the market infront of bai yoke sky.. But last time only chiong for ownself hehe.. Now going to chiong for my princess le.. U make me cant wait to go bkk for the shopping sprees..

Morning all, I'm bk from my Bintan trip. Very tiring cos have to handle my super active #1 but we enjoyed ourselves. Due to the monsoon period, my boat ride was like a roller coaster. Horrible feeling. I closed my eyes and practices the breathing method. Deep breathing when the waves come. I'm able to manage it well as compared to my previous trip (not preggy) where I almost vomited and can't walk at all. This time I did not vomit and only feel a bit giddy when arrived. I know bb also having seasick cos he keep kicking in my tummy. Lucky my hubby handled my #1 cos he will nvr get any sicksea no matter what. And I handle my #2. Hope to practice the same when I'm in labour, deep breath when the pain comes.

As for baxton hits. I'm also blur even tot this is my 2nd pregnancy cos I nvr experience it b4. But heard its similar to contraction pain rite. Since I experience contraction pain b4, don think I'm getting it now and those strange tummy feeling are bb dancing inside. Really feel like tummy going upside down when he dance.

Jascmy, I contracted the major milk companies. All tell me, new rule said cannot send NB milk powder sample! Coz they r supposed to encourage breast feeding.. Haiz!

Hazel, yup, u r rite. Tat time only Friso sent to me and they say not to tell anyone. Now they hav to stop liao.
But even TMC is charging for the bottle FM. Tats very bad. I knw we r encourage to bf, but we confirmed no milk for the 1st few days mah. If don feed FM then let bb go hungry ah. I knw they hav reserved for 4 days. But I ever heard a very determined mum who force her bb to latch on even tot she have no milk for the 1st few days. She wan her bb to be a full bf bb. In the end bb lost a lot of weight in that few days. So PD hav have to ask the mummy to supplement with FM if not bb will lost more weight and become malnutrition.

And those FM are sponsored from the milk companies. How can Hospitals charged for it and earned money from it.

Hi mummies,
i'm from May thread. I got brand new unopened Philips Avent bottle warmer letting go at $59. The retail price is $79. Got it as a gift but i already have one. PM me if keen
6503775.jpg

Just to share with all 1st time mummy!

RE:New born milk powder
Ya, the milk company can't give samples. Before u discharge, u can ask nurse to give pre-mix milk samples. Jus a few glass bottles only. Whether to feed FM or BM is up to individual mummies. New born BB dun nd to drink a lot, if u wan to BF, it's better to let BB simulate ur flow. I didn't go buy tins of milk powder 1st, in case BB dun like. But i "brief" my hubby wat to buy if needed.

RE:Braxton hicks
My BB 1st braxton hicks last Thur! I can describe as painless cramps on tummy. Ur tummy will get "harden" and it will slowly release the pressure. I can get it every 5 mins and last for 30 mins. BB getting ready for the big day!

For the real contraction, the cramps/pain can also be felt at lower back. The contraction get stronger each time and sometime last longer or frequency more closer. When the real thing come, u may sway ur body side to side while standing, it's helps a lot.

Jascmy, yes bb has reserve for first few days but bb needs to be hydrated so that the toxics in the liver are flushed out to manage the jaundice level. If Dun hv enough BM n dun give FM, how is bb going to be hydrated? Recently I saw a SG tv program, the mommy refused to give FM. Her bb boy was dehydrated n warded in NICU for dangerous level of jaundice level! The PD then explained to the couple what caused it. Mrs Wong boi boi was interviewed too & said the same, ie bb needs to be hydrated to flush out the toxics in the liver..

PurelyZ, pre mixed milk powder is now chargeable at pte hospitals such as TMC at $1 per bottle. No longer free. Err.. Braxton hicks shld not last more than a min or 2 leh... Urs lasted 30 mins which is too long...

purelyz, tat time I had emergency c-sect and end up can't even latch on bb. And my supply is really super low for the 1st few days. Esp on the 1st day, I can't bf at all cos of the c-sect pain. Hav to rest one day and start bf on the 2nd day but face a problem. Very little milk and bb can't latch due to the football position for c-sect mothers. So in the end I pump but still not enough. I feel heart pain seeing bb cry for milk but I hav no milk. Even if I latch also no milk. So no choice hav to top up wif FM. Both in hospital and at home for 1 wk. I can only stimulate by keep on pumping till my supply is enough then I stop FM.

It depends on individual. Even hubby also depending. Some won't help or make a big fuss before helping us to buy. So I prefer to buy a tin at home in case. And won't let my bb keep crying for milk if he not full and hungry. Lucky I did that if not with my situation I can only let bb cry and cry whole day.

Ask u ah, will we get immediate supply of BM on the 1st day since we are not 1st time mothers?

If TMC is to charge for the bottle FM, think hav to think twice when requesting. I knw KKH will give a few bottle for free.

jascmy, when u said no milk in 1st wk for no 1, do u mean not even some or just now enough? did u drink alot of fluid then & drink fish soup?

i am asking you this coz i dun think it has anything to do first time or non first time mom. i read, is the mom's own body. last yr, when i lost my elder girl at 21 wks, on the 3rd day after induced labour, my boobs felt really painful & hard.. i didnt even stimulate them at all. I squeezed on the boobs then & saw droplets of diluted milk. My mum told me not to squeeze if not, more milk will be produced & the pain will get worse. In the end, i used cold cabbage from the freezer for a few days for the pain to go away... but still, i squeeze alittle, will see some milk..

Hazel,1st and 2nd day, I'm in hospital. 1st day can't latch and move cos of the pain so not sure abt milk. 2nd day when I start bf, nurse massage my breast and its really painful. She squeeze and say I have a bit of milk. My bb suck a while and then gave up and continue to cry. Nurse say cos I don knw how to use football position, don knw how to carry a newborn bb (1st time mother) and bb also learning got suck. So I only latch a few mins every 3hrs and ask nurse to feed FM. When I'm home, 1st thing I go for a pump. Only pump 2ml after 30mins. Breast is still painful and full of lumps. Hav to ask hubby to massage cos too painful for me to massage myself. But still pump most 5ml. Its definitely not enough. Newborn bb drink abt 15 to 20ml if I remember correctly. I drink lots of fluid esp after a pump to replenished the water I lost. Cos bb refused to latch, I continue to pump every 3hrs. Can see my supply slowly increase by 5ml then 10ml and slowly more and more. Was able to pump abt 50ml by 2nd week so I stop FM. Then slowly to 200ml when CL left. So was only able to start storing milk on the 2nd mth.

I see all my friends, sister and sis-in-law are like that. Milk supply only start to kick in full strength on 4 to 5th day. Even the breast is super painful and engorged but still no milk.

Gals, do NOT use cabbage if u wan to bf for bb. Cos it not only stop the engorgement pain, it will also stop milk supply. This happened to my sister for her #1. Suddenly stop and no milk at all few days later after using it for a few days. I also read somewhere in the web tat mentioned this too.

Jascmy, yes if wan to bf cannot use cold cabbage. I wanted to milk supply to stop & pain to go away last yr as that reminded me of my painful loss.. N I dun wan to take the med dr Loh precribed me. It was really a shock to me then when I saw BM!

Hello Everyone! Jas- peifu that u can take the ferry, I was so afraid of the rocking affecting bb n end up contraction but then some said the rocking motion will calm baby.

Dawie, yes-go Chionk for our little princess now. Heehee, u can get some pretty maxi dress as well from there, I got one for 100baht only.U r going to have great fun!

Hazel, I read from book that cabbage will relieve breast engorgement and also method to stop milk flow as well. Confused now, cause Mrs Wong did taught us to use the cabbage method when we feel engorge during BF, maybe 1time relieve okay bah?

Back