(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

good morning! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Moms,

Excited to hear about the outing but got lunch meeting that day..envy envy..I will keep update with ur outings and if can next time, I would like to join..

Porridge:

Cooked my first porridge for baby on weekend! Acceptance level better than expected as my girl is quite apprehensive when it comes to trying new food for the first time. She finished most of it.

Here's where I did:

Cooked the beef broth taught by Princess D,

Cook porridge separately in a slow cooker for about 3.5 hours. Realised I added too much water in the beginning, so only scoop out the porridge and threw away the excess porride water (bought the australian grew sushi rice from NTUC as mom told me that kind of rice is good for baby porridge, very smooth, its sold at $9.95 for 2.5kg at ntuc. True enough, its super smooth after cooking)

Cooked pumpkin separately and mashed it. (I would want to thow in the pumpkin into the slowcooker in future after I can master the rice and water proportion better.

One scoop of FM (would use any chance to add milk as bb is not a keen milk drinker and want to beef up her intake.

In the end, porridge has beef broth + rice + pumpkin + milk = very smooth and sweet porridge and bb accepted it well. It was also more watery than I thought but my mom said for first time, better make it more watery. In future, I will increase the thickness slowly.

Thanks to all moms here for ideas on porridge and broth and has certainly helped me n bb [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Xin,

Maybe u can make the porridge a little watery (provided ur bb likes watery stuff) as for new stuff, its good to make it "milder" so that they will not be overwhelming. Let it slip down your bb's throat at first.

Dovey,

Putting the puffs in the fridge after opening is a good idea. I bought the puff u mentioned too. Will feed to bb soon. As I saw my MIL bought for niece and kept in outside, I did not think of the fridge idea. Good to know..thanks!

Emma,

BFing the bb until now..I salute u and all moms who can do that. Me stopped at the fourth month..So u are already a bfing marathon winner u know!

Hi mummies, sorry to disturb.

Hv the following to sell:

1) BN Nan Pro 2 (400gm) Expiry: Jul'12

2) Nan Pro 2 (900gm - 4scoops) Expiry: Jul'12

Going at $25 for both.

hi mummies and ian! another week... i'm feeling tired.. jadelyn woke up at 5.30am wanting milk, jazeree woke up at the same time to hiccup. no sleep for mommy here. really stoning at work..

marrissa,

seems like all our babies love egg yolks! i'm an egg lover myself. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

apple,

hihi!

re: porridge

i realize i cannot make it too mushy or 'niam niam'. jadelyn will stick out her tongue and start gagging after a few spoonfuls even though she still wants the porridge! if i overcooked the porridge and it turns mushy, i add a bit of water to make it more watery. that way it wou't give the 'wanna puke' kind of texture. xin, maybe you can cook porridge without fish. try pork broth + broccoli + scallops (few pcs). if he's ok with it, can start adding some wolfberries too. good for babies now.

i think my hubby accidentally threw away my prenatal fish oils with vits when he was tidying up the house. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] anyone ever bought from iherb before? which brand is good? thinking of buying online as my gynae's charges are quite high for supplements.

xin,

maybe because of the fishy taste..

starry,

I don't know how to cook with scallop. Is it the dried scallop from the market? How to cook them? Wash them first? Can they be eaten? It seems interesting.

I also saw dried oyster from the market last weekend. Dunno how to cook them so I never buy..

groovy,

the scallops are dried ones. can get easily from sundry shops. i have 2 types - large ones and small ones. both are good.

small ones just pick ard 5-6 pcs, rinse with water and put in slow cooker with rice and veg to cook together. once porridge is ready, i mash up the scallops with spoon and give to jadelyn. won't choke 'cos the shreds are quite fine.

large ones i use them to sweeten the porridge and give some flavor. i add 1-2 pcs. rinse with water then break them using fingers. same, throw in slow cooker with rice and other ingredients. have to scoop them out when cooked as these are too tough for baby.

re: oysters

haven't tried them out yet. dried oysters are very nice if you put a few pcs into the rice to steam together. for adults only. don't think babies can have them now. anyway, they are very very yummy! i had a lot of these when i was doing confinement. love it.

good morning all...

ANY BREAKING NEWS???

starry,

i remember my gynae prescribe the brand "neurogain" (pink in packaging)for prenatal fish oil. This can be purchase over the pharmacy counter for ard 30bucks.

Groovy,

what u saw r dried scallop (brownish in color), just rinse them over the tap water n drop 1-2 piece in the soup or porridge.. note that they have different grade n can be quite costly too.

morning mummies n ian

Thanks for the reply on snacks/puffs,

I also give him eat when we r outside to keep him quiet n at home when we r eating n he fusses.

But usually outside he will b interested in the biscuits n doesnt want to eat his food that i have prepared! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

booboobear, dovey, babygalore

thanks for support and encouragement! i feel good today although supply really drop to pathetic levels! 150ml every 24 hours after half hour of pumping, hand express. See how long i can keep it up, at least i know I have given him the best I can!

I stay in the east too, at simei! Lemme know if any gatherins will try to attend.

stardust, emma,

I'll PM both of you my email for fb. Emma, I'm in Simei too!

Dovey,

Your hubby is back this week right? Enjoy! Let me know when is good for you when he leaves for work again, then we arrange with the east mummies to meet in Tamp?

starry,

My girl also doesn't like it if the porridge is too thick. She gags as well! Then she'll spit it out.

xin,

My girl didn't like the fish bits and always spat them out. So now I use the handheld blender to blend the porridge and meat into a finer texture. If the consistency is too thick, I add milk to thin it.

Cherry!

Rarely see you here...what breaking news are you expecting? Lol...

I tried feeding porridge again just nw. This time without fish. Jut added carrot puree. He still dun wan to eat n in the end vomited again. Haiz.

Then I added in cereals n mix with the remaining porridge. My goodness!! He finishes everything!! Haha. My boy just prefers cereals. Mb cos of the smoothness n easy to swallow.

He's helping mummy save time cos no need to cook porridge. Haha. Was wondering mb cereals more nutritious then porridge? Unless add a lot of ingredients into the porridge.

Xin2> Try pumpkin puree.. Pumpkin is sweet. Carrot has an obvious smell, some babies might not like it. hehehe. When Josie first try carrot she also doesn't like it.. But for pumpkin, potato, she's quite ok with them.

booboobear, yea count me in if there's a gathering in the east! Tampines will b great.. Hehehe. Actually e playdate more for mommies than e babies hor!

Dovey, got e gerver snacks at cold storage, thks! Bought organix snacks oso. Baby loves em,

Diveera, jac.. Yea me love eggs too. I saw some angmoh recipes online they make scramble egg yolk n fry using unsalted butter. Must b yummy

Xin, maybe yr porridge is not smooth enuf. I blend my porridge or add a bit more water coz otherwise baby spit it out.

jac,

I am not much better. Isaac work up at 11pm and 5am for milk. Sunday night, Monday morning somemore. This boy never sayang his mummy, still dun want to sleep through.

Xin,

How about pasta? I have a friend whose girl hates porridge too and she can never get porridge into her mouth so she tried pasta, cooked them in broth too and they are just as nutrious as porridge.

wiselyn,

yes, they can be quite salty if add too much. with every cup of water or broth added, i only use 1-2 large ones OR 5-6 small ones. porridge doesn't taste salty at all, more like savory.

zuen,

jadelyn can sleep thru if she is very tired or have her last feed late at 11pm-12am. lately i feed her at 8.30pm then before 12am have to dreamfeed her again, otherwise she will wake up at unearthly hours wanting milk. last night we were out shopping at IMM till quite late. i thought she was okay with her last bottle at 10am, but she KO-ed after taking only 150ml so little wonder she woke up at 5.30am. yawns... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Evening mummies,

Thanks for all ur advice n suggestions on the porridge. Will try again tmr n see how.

Fed him cereals for dinner n he ate so fast n finished everything.

Groovy:

Don't think it's the carrots cos wen I mix with cereals he finished everything.

Zuen:

Thanks for the suggestion on pasta. Will try it out.

booboobear

Actually I have no idea when he will be back. His job requires him to come and go without prior notice, so I'll only know it 1-2 days before he leaves/comes back. But no worries, whether he's back or not, I can still go for my gathering. Can't revolve my world around him... haha

Marissa / Babygalore

No Problem!! Just sharing whatever I know!

Re: Porridge

Saw that a lot of the babies prefer porridge that are not too thick, my girl is totally the opposite. She loves her porridge thick and "niam niam". If there's water in it, she'll spit them out. Good also, thick porridge easier to feed for me, no need to wipe those water that drips out from her mouth!

I add dried scallops into the porridge too. Very tasty! But I always eat most of the scallops! :p

Mommies, sorry to disturb. I have some mamex gold step 2 vouchers to give away. Expires this month. If u r interested, pls pm me. Meet up at tpy mrt station weekdays lunch hours for pick up. One per mommy. Tnx!

zuen &starry,

Logan doesn't slp through either which is strange coz wen he was totally bf he can slp frm 8/9 pm to 7 am without waking up. Now he's on solids n full fm he wakes up once or twice for milk. N I thought I'd get more slp wen I stopped bf [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Harro!! Hope mummies had a good weekend! Hmm seems like my happy bellies puffs are lau hong already then!! Will have to throw them. No wonder grace didn't like them.

Maybe I should also try the gerber ones too.

Grace also likes the sticky porridge too! If I make the porridge too watery, she will play with it and spit it out.

hello all [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

dovey, $75 per week is more expensive than paying the initial agency fee! count me in for east side gathering too. TPE very convenient hehee

re scallops

I put in sometimes when I ran out of pork broth. But I eat it... wasnt sure if he could 'chew'. yumyum :p

Lucas also like his porridge thick. eats a whole lot faster!

Emmie

Ya, expensive huh. It's more suitable for those on ad-hoc basis instead of regular cleaning I guess.

Thick porridge easier to feed huh. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

If there's gathering, will sure ask ALL mummies!!

Booboobear,

any breaking news= any preggy mommies? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

porridge:

so far I have given pork, chicken, fish, carrot, potato, spinach, broccoli n sweet corn to my bb.. Sweet corn only as flavour not for consumption.. Don't know if sweet corn is suitable anot, but I still give..

Fever,

can some kind mommies advise me on fever medicine.. Eg, if I just give baby fever medicine and the next few minute baby was crying n throw up some milk including the fever medicine, should I give the fever medicine again or what should I do??? TIA.

Dovey,

Where in Tamp is good for a short casual get-together you think? When should we do it?

stardust,

You don't accept PM, you want to PM me your email instead?

Cherry,

Hmmm that's tricky...I don't think it's advisable to give the fever medicine again immediately though. Better under than overdose. If baby threw up a lot of the medicine, maybe wait a shorter interval before feeding the next dose? Keep monitoring the temp and keep sponging in between. How is your girl now?

Isaac finally had his first taste of porridge today. Heard tat he ate greedily. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Dovey,

I like e died scallops too. Always dig for them when my mum cook them in soups. Yummy.

Stella,

U burst my dream. I was hoping too that lsaac will start sleeping thru and let me slp more too when I finally switch to fm. He is up again for milk. I hope that this is one of e good nights wif only 1 feed. Haiz. I think hr's up 2x last night bcos his ezcema flare.

starry,

thanks for the tips on dried scallops! Will try to buy them this weekend. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

cherry,

Last time Josie also like that when she has a very high fever. I didn't give the fever medicine again when she throw up :S. Just like booboobear said, I wait shorter interval before feeding the next dose. Hopefully your baby will get better soon! Btw, I finally get the thicker fever medicine from the PD so I can give smaller dose to my baby, as it's very difficult to feed her medicine last time. She struggle until vomit [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Hi all midnight again! time flies.

I have been giving my baby puff and he loves it. Only about 8 pieces as snacks.

btw anyone knows where can buy 1 botte of Happy bellies Puff? Is it cheaper to buy online even for 1 bottle (after including postage)? I just want to try if baby like the favour or not first before buy bulk.

Shoes - ha ha i brought another new pair over the weekend. :p old tradition according to my mom is "don't know how to walk cannot wear shoes." Reason unknown. What will happen if wear also unknown.

egg with porridge - a big flop when I tried on Sat. He hated it and refuse to take porridge after few mouths [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Wonder if its because I cook wrongly. when do you add the eggs and do you still let it cook in the slow cooker after adding in the egg?

Cherry I agree with booboobear. do sponge and dont feed again as maybe not all medicine vomit out. Other than medicine, I usually give Ling Yam (chinese med) when baby have fever. But the taste is not very nice so not sure if your baby will eat it or not.

1 mummy did mention when feeding medicine should avoid the side of tongue as can taste bitter. Is it right? someone pls confirm as my memory rather bad.

hope he get well soon.

Good 9.

dovey - my son loves thick porridge too. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

for died scallops I cut with scissors to very small pieces so baby can eat. I brought the Jap scallops so its much softer. According to store seller, china ones are harder.

Cherry

Ya, I remember my Pd/Gp told me not to feed again if vomit. Wait at least 2 hrs then feed again. Did she grow any taller? Hope ur girl get well soon!

Booboobear

Maybe Starbucks? Or if planning lunch maybe cafe cartel? Frankly I would prefer weekdays as I seriously dislike going out on weekends. Too crowded n hard to get parking lot. But if most mummies cmi then no choice arrange on weekend then. Majority wins [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ZuEn / Metta

I realized that those smaller n brownish type actually taste much sweeter than those bigger n whiter type? My aunt gave me a box of those big n white ones and they don't taste as nice as those brown ones I bought from the market.

Re: Shoes

Nothing will happen. Just some superstitions. Up to personal beliefs I guess.

Egg with porridge:

I hope you didn't crack the whole egg in? As babies below 1 are not supposed to eat the whites. I boil the egg into hard boiled egg then take out the yolk. For me, I don't mix into porridge directly. When feeding porridge, I'll add bit by bit to the spoonful of porridge so it doesn't overwhelm the original taste of the porridge. Personal preference.

Feeding medicine:

Our taste buds are in the front n centre of tongue, so best to place it at the back. If using syringe, I'll squirt onto the side of her cheeks (in between the rear gums n the cheek) so it'll be easier for the medication to "slide" down their throat. That's what I usually do for my kids.

Finally done with my PvZ.

Good Night!~~~

dovey, booboobear, oh no dun come tamp on a weekend, asking for trouble! Weekday will better. one place off my mind wld b gd is swensens. Lots of High chair, near nursing rm n large space (for bigger gatherings). Otherwise chill at starbux will b fine as well!

Morning mummies,

I'm so so tired. Kayden decides to wake up every 2 hours last night. Dunno wats wrong. Gave him milk he drink a bit then wanna sleep. But then kept waking up. Boo hoo.

Zuen:

I'm also still waiting for the day that kayden can sleep thru. After starting on solids n FM. He wakes up more often leh. Weird.

Dovey,

I want to eat scallops now. Haha.

Xin,

Isaac still woke up 2x last night. I think it is his ezcema lah, but at least he doesnt scream and fuss when he wakes up. Latch and goes back to sleep.

You still latch Kayden in the night? Can lie down and latch? I cannot cos Isaac doesnt sleep with me and so I have to latch him in the living room. When I get too tired sometimes, I bring Isaac back to my room and latch him lying down and steal sleep. Haha.

Zuen:

Ya. Iatch him at night cos lazy to make milk. But sometimes will wonder if he's drinking enough n if he's still hungry. Paranoid la.

Poor issac, his eczema must be causing him much discomfort. Hope he gets well soon.

I dun latch lying down leh. Dunno how to do that. So normally will latch sitting down lor. By the time he sleeps, I can't go bk to sleep n then he decides to wake up again. Haiz.

Marissa,Booboobear

Yes, swensen is good! Why didn't I think of that!

Have thought of lunch/tea at Tampines One Bakerzin as well. We can have the whole corner outside the restaurant. Still air-conditioned so won't be too warm.

Edited: sorry, I think bakerzin is not halal, swensen will be better in that case. Apologies for my insensitivity.

ZuEn

Eat it straight from the fridge! Haha~

My elder son often sneaks a few piece and eat it uncooked (after washing). He says it's very nice but I have not tried it. Sounds yucky to me though!! :£

Hello Everyone.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

just managed to scan thru the thread and read some posts on using barley as part of broth ingredients.

Just sharing: Pearl Barley & China Barley both hv cooling properties to the body. However, for our babies at tis stage the China barley is preferred as it won't cause phelgm. For pearl barley it's more cooling, helps the body to pass out urine more often thus reducing the heat in the body.

China barley is also good for kids with ezcema, drinking it frequently helps to reduce chances of acts up [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hope that helps [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

dovey, ZuEn, you really want to make me quickly buy the scallops. hahaha.

I realize for fruits, my Josie loves honeydew the most. Make a honeydew juice for her and she'll finish it. hehehe

Good Morning Pretty Babes and Handsome Dad!

Cherry, hope your gal will recover soon. Too much medication usually is not good.

You all keep talking about scallops, make me wanna cook scallop for porriage too.

Dovey, wat is PvZ? U woke up so early? Sch Holidays shld sleep longer.

Cant image eating scallops raw. Ur boy very brave. He must have like sushi alot.

Zuen, poor Issac, hope his ecema gets better.

I still do latch while sleeping every nite and morning. Just lie sideway and bring baby to latch can le. You both might want to try? Can have more zzz time like that.

good morning all,

Thank you all for your well wishes, kind and prompt response. I was hestitating if to give the fever medicine, as i worried that the fever will act up again during the wee hours..

scallop,

i like the japanese seasoned scallop.. omg, it is yummy.

barley:

thank you libluey for your detailed explanation on barley. It works perfectly for me especially when my girl is now on fever.

Xin,

Very easy to latch lying down. Go serach a little bit on the internet, sure can find pictures to tell you how to do it. Super convenient. By the time the baby fell asleep, I bet you will too. Lol. I do that all the time when we are on holidays and I sleep with Isaac.

His eczema gave us so much heartache and headache. I think we are beginning to learn to live with it. We suspect that his eczema is triggered by the "not very clean" mattress that he used in my MIL's place. Oops.

Dovey,

Uncooked?

Can meh? Like the dried shrimps? Ooooo.. drooling, another one of my favourites.

Groovy, apple, cherry,

This forum should ban talking about food, especially for people like me who still got weight to lose. Lol. I am hungry liao.

Marissa, Booboobear, dovey,

Swenson's sounds good, I oso prefer weekday. Let me know which date and I'll come along if I'm not working! 

hi mummies who replied! sorry.. the thread so fast sometimes i lazy to read back.. hahahaha.. esp nowadays i am really tired to the max!!! yup i agree bogay cuter!!! but if he grows older and still no teeth then i better pay attention! lol

Lilbluey

thanks for the explanation for the barley! my MIL is giving Aedan barley water once a week and i duno whether she using china barley or pearl barley cos she told me its "ang moh" barley... meaning??? hahahaa.. i tried telling her china one better but she kept brushing me off and say nvm cos Aedan drinking FM must drink barley.. haiyo.. i think i better ask again in case aedan develops phelgm then jialat! very poor thing if like that...

Ian

hello!!! how's little Xavier [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jac

glad that jadelyn and jazeree are both doing fine! Jadelyn is so cute lah! Is she like a mini chilli padi? hahah.. some pics of her look like "da jie da"... lol

Morning everyone!

Alyssa is 9 months old today!

Dovey, Marrissa, stardust,

Swensens sounds good! I also thought of Bakerzin, didn't know it's not halal, oops. Prefer weekdays too, it's a zoo on weekends in the malls. Shall we come up with a date and ask all mummies? Why were you both up so late last night? Dovey, what's PvZ?

Apple, Groovy,

Ya all the scallop talk sounds so yummy. Haven't tried scallops yet. I'm so far behind with food variety compared to most mummies here...

Back