(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

Morning mummies and daddy!

Must be happy ya Ian! Congrats!

Finally, today my last 2nd day @ work. Been complaining wanna leave but today i really feel heavy hearted! Been in the coy for 9 years and now moving on! I can't help to feel sad to leave my good colleagues here.

Sob Sob Sob!!!

Will have a week break! Aiya! Too short leh! hee...greedy....

My boy bite too like Emmie's boy!

He bite my mum's shoulder. So painful. Think his gum itchy...

How many teeths all your babies r having now?

Mine got 6! 4 upper and 2 bottom...

Till now he still dun crawl! Shifting his backside to move around. Funny boy right...hee...

Ian, congrats!

BBlin, hopefully you can find nice colleagues in your next job too!

My baby still has 4 teeth, hehe.

Yesterday finally she can sleep herself, she keep wanting to play when I hug her to sleep. Until I can't stand, put her in her cot, she play herself and then sleep. Hopefully I can do that today too! Huhuhu.. Very difficult to put her to sleep. She sleeps at around 10 pm now. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

And nowadays sometimes she'll wake up at 3/4/5/6 [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]. Sometimes can sleep again, sometimes wanted to play! Getting crazy becoz of the lack of sleep. In good days she'll sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 or 8.

Until nowadays I let my maid handle her in weekends when she wake up in the morning (at 7 AM, if she wake up before, I'm the one handling. huhu), so I can sleep until 9 AM or more. Huhu.. As a result, my BM supply drops becoz of 8-10 hours not pumping..

Tried to give her FM for her night feeding before she sleep and she doesn't want at all!! So I asked my maid to mix with her cereal or biscuit in the afternoon and tried to give her 1 feed of FM in the afternoon.

And nowadays she eat so little! Dunno what's wrong with her..

Huhu I don't think in another 2 months she'll reach 3x birth weight.. Now she weigh around 8 kg, her birth weight is 2.78, so 3x is around 8.4 kg.. And she only gains around 0.1 kg per mth now.. My mom keep saying she's so skinny. Saying all of her children are not as skinny as her. But then I said to Mom, during toddlers day we are all skinny leh. hahaha...

Thanks Groovy!

My boy sleep around 1030pm. Stimes 11pm. Getting later also.

But he sleep throughout the night so is not an issue to us.

My boy drink alot. He never has enough milk. Whenever finish his 200ml of milk, he just dun wan let go the bottle. When i told him "no more" everytime, he will whin and cry after taking away the bottle. I started increase to 210ml of milk. How much i should give him by now?

Ian, congrats. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

bblin, my girl got 2 front teeth & 1 upper one going to pop out soon. She can crawl but dun wan to sit on her own or hold bottle on her own.

Last check her wt 7kg out?

My girl, very difficult to feed. My sister even said, she's surprised my girl doesn't like to put toys inside her mouth because she doesn't like to eat!! Hahaha..

Usually babies like to put toys inside their mouth.

Maybe I should try to give her finger food already. Yesterday tried to give her a whole biscuit but she never put it in her mouth. Only grabbing, exploring, but never put in her mouth until I hold it for her. Sigh..

She only like to suck her thumb/ lick her finger. But very less likely to grab things & put inside her mouth.. huhu..

Florida-orange,

My boy just had his 9 month assessment. The doc checked height, weight, head circumference, response to sounds, eye sight, hip bone, testicles... Basically everything. N I was told I'm feeding him too much milk... My boy drinks 160-180 mls every 3 hrs, even aft his porridge he can stil finish milk an hr later. He eats very little porridge for some strange reason but doc says he shd be taking milk only every 4-5 hrs... N I can give him anything except egg white n nuts to eat as long as it's soft n with no added salt or sugar. Think I'm jus gonna move on to soft white rice n dishes. But dunno how abt his milk though. He's only 8.2 kg n looks quite skinny so am I overfeeding?

Metta,

I've just signed up for Abbott talk too! See you there. I'll be going alone too since hubby need to babysit. hehe

I forgot who're you in facebook. I'm Ixxxxx Cxxxxxx

Hi Stella,

Looking at the amount of milk u are giving Logan, I don't think u are overfeeding leh. Seems ok to me. Kayden is drinking 200ml every 3 hours. N he eats quite a lot of cereals. Think u sld not be too concern as long as growing n healthy.

My hb n me feels that can drink then give lor. Chub chub better than skinny skinny.

Hi ann, thanks for your info. Will discuss with my hubby. repeat the same nursery rhyme whole night?! I will definitely go crazy.

Groovy, I'm Jxxxx Nx. See ya! good luck to our hubby esp mine! his 1st time alone with his son! ha ha ha

Stella, my boy drink 210ml (not always finish) every 3 hours and 3 hours after porridge he will definitely finish whole bottle. everyday about 4 to 5 feeds plus 1 porridge.

We will be going for 9th mth assessment end of July. Let see what my PD said.

I think at the current moment, babies won't get too fat. They grow taller accordingly too! I have my friend if I'm not wrong put in facebook when her baby is 4 months, she's 7.5 kg, 69 cm.. Josie is around that too in her 8/9 mths old.. :S.. So I guess if they meet each other, they'll look the same size. It's just Josie can stand & crawl already. Huhu.. Just now weigh Josie again, she's about 7.8 kg now.. Not 8 kg.. Dunno who's correct, when hubby weigh her she's about 8 kg. lol. We self measure using our digital scale but she keeps moving so it's difficult to get accurate scale..

Emmie,

He wants to drink and yet he bites ah?

Tough case. There was this period that Isaac kept bitting me, especially when I force feed him. Latching him becomes a nightmare, not at all enjoyable. The stern warning doesnt seem to help. I tried beating his cheek to when he bites. Then it gradually become lesser. I dun think it is something that I did in particular. But he still bites when I try to force feed him now.

Ann, metta,

I dun think will get addicted to the music. I used to do that too in my secondary days. Now, I am so tired, with or without anything, I still sleep. Hohoho.

Bblin,

Issac has 6 teeth too and he also has 4 on top and 2 below.

He is still at the commando crawl stage but super lazy. Most of the time, he refuses to crawl. To get to places, he whined and fussed and made lots of noise until somebody bth and helped to move him. -.o"

Re: 9 months assessment

This one must do is it? Just bring to PD and tell PD that we want to do 9 months' assessment?

Stella,

How many milk feeds and solid meals do you give Logan? It is hard tO compare, metta gives 4 milk feeds + 1 porridge. I give grace 4 milk feeds of 180ml + 3 meals. If anything I'm the one overfeeding my bb! Hehe

She loves her meals. But lately I realized she doesn't finish her milk. Now I give her total fm. Maybe cos she still full from her meals. Was thinking if I should cut dn 1 milk feed but increase the amount of milk eg 180 to 200?

Hi mummies,

Tgif. but I got flu virus from thee boys.

Hi bblin,

All the best to your new job. I am trying to find another jobtoo.

Groovy,

I also signed up for Abbott.talk lei. I don't know if I have your facebook account cos I am not active on facebook

Morning mummies n daddy ian!

TGIF! :D

Re: Feed

Oppps looks like my boy is being fed too much. The last we weighed him at the PD was abt 3 weeks ago, he was 9.5kg. Not sure abt the height.

All these while, his daily feeds are usually 2 x 210ml FM, 3 x 150ml FM, 1-2 semi solid food and 1 fruit feed. Once in a while, he will ask for milk between 4-6am, then i'll give an additional 150ml feed. Ever since he turned 9 mths few days back, my mum says he has been asking for milk earlier than his usual 3 hr interval. So she has started to increase his day time feed to 180ml and sometimes she feeds him at 2.5hr interval.

So far based on his last visit to PD, PD didnt say he is overfed or overweight. He used to be much more bak bak.... the PD calls him ah bui. LOL WHen he went on milk strike last time, PD says its ok cos he has a lot of reserves.

So recently he intake so much as long as its not force feeding but rather he himself wants it, I think it shld be ok ba? I also take into consideration that in a few weeks time im gonna bring him for a jab, he'll probably feel unwell and go on milk strike again. Plus the teething thingy, he may oso go on milk strike. So now I let him store and build his reserves first. LOL

Re: Sterilizing

Anyone still sterilizing milk bottles? Is there a guide as to when is a good time to slowly stop sterilizing the bottles?

Good Morning Ian, Zuen, Stella, Shireen, Suiwaiwai & Groovy and All. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

morning Apple!

sterilizing, I'm still sterilizing all. Huehehe.

My colleague said she stops sterilizing when her baby is 6 mths old. She said she has OSIM filter in her water tap so she just use that to wash..

I also bought filter (cleansui brand) for my water tap already. Cleaner when washing baby stuffs. Maybe I'll stop sterilizing when she's 1 year old..

Lilac:

I've stopped sterilizing since baby 6mths leh. Just rinse with tap water. Sometimes use boiling water rinse lor. So far ok.

My PD also nvr say anything abt Kayden weight leh. Think wen they become more active the weight gain will be slower n lesser Liao.

I just feed as long as he wants lor. Hehe. I like bui bui.

Hi mummies

has anyone here brought their bb overseas when their bb r ard 8 mths plus 9?

Can anyone share with me how u settle bb meals?

Any advise when taking the flight?

Thanks in advance!!

kidznmum,

how long is your flight? feed solid before you board the plane. bring biscuit for bb to bite. lots of toys to play, pillow or bolster to hug. during takig land and landing, try to feed bb with some milk as their ears may hurt due to pressure. some babies are ok with it.

i am planning to take my 2 boys to Hong Kong next Feb. My hubby is thinking of taking part in Hong Kong Marathon. After that, we are going Disneyland. any mummies who have husband want to run marathon in HK?

Hihi went for 9mth assessment this morning.

Got his eyes, hearing checked. Weight, height, head circumference, see if he can grab /pickup things, crawl, stand position, whether eyes will follow a moving object but no check on privates.

My boy only put on 100g from last month [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Of average height, weight n head circumference....

I realised I must be one of the bad mummies cos I have no idea how much Isaac is drinking, how often and how many much solids he is taking. Oops. But I think he is still on 140ml ebm leh. I expressed about 600ml a day and I latch him 2-3 times, so about 800ml in all?

The last I weigh him, he was going 9kg.

Lilac,

Your PD calls him ah bui!!?? Hoho. Slapped the PD lah. They will really lose their baby fats soon. Ya, ya, build up the reserve. I think better to have a kid who eats well and be a little bulky than to have to constantly force the kid to eat.

I am still sterilizing too. And since I do it, I even throw jiejie's bottles inside. Hoho.

Stella,

Logan looks totally fine leh. I dun think you are overfeeding him.

Kidznmumz,

I gave DD bottled puree when I brought her overseas at that age and cereal too.

Shireen,

HKG!!!! I am thinking of bringing the kids to HKG next year oo. Waiting for Isaac to learn how to walk first so that I dun have to constantly carry him. I am 100% sure that my hb will not want to run a marathon, whether in Sgp or Hkg. He barely has the energy to chase the kids. Lol.

xin: Ok. am thinking of slowly stopping the sterilizing thingy by 1 yr old. i also love bak bak babies but his health is more impt. i dont want him to over feed until too fat and affect his health. Good thing is he is very active n recently poo so much so maybe thats why he is hungry easily.

Zuen, ya last time call him ah bui / bui kia cos his face damn chub. Now slim down liao. TRue... impt is baby eats well. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

agree with ZuEn! Definitely when Josie doesn't want to eat or drink milk. We'll waste time to wait until she wants! Sigh.. PD said don't force but how to not to try to give food if she still doesn't want after few hours and never fuss when she hasn't eaten anything or eat very little?

It's like a battle everyday. But usually we lose from the battle nowadays. She always shut mouth tight tight and only open mouth when the sippy cup that contains water near her!! She only like to drink water! Arrghhh... She used to eat only 3-4 baby spoons now everytime we want to feed her! My maid used to trick her, put the sippy cup near her mouth and quickly feed her when she open mouth. But this way nowadays not very successful anymore. She'll shut mouth tight tight, only open mouth when we try to put the sippy cup into her mouth.

Shireen

Thanks for sharing! the flight abt 6hrs plus. So do u feed bottle food too? U brought a baby carrier with u?

Zuen

thanks for sharing! I better let my bb try some bottled food first before the trip just in case he rejects! Then I headache!! U brought bb carrier with u?

Groovy, have accepted your invitation. Your baby is really cute [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

9mth assesment - for my PD is compulsory as he want my baby to a blood test (can't remember for what) at the same time. all his patients must do this test (he said optional for other PD).

sterilizing - I am still sterilizing too. I even sterilize his sippy cup! ha ha ha I kiasu a bit la not sure need to or not so just throw it in.

groovy - FM can try to give her other brands? perhaps she doesn't like the taste of this brand of FM.

Groovy,

From all your posts so far, it seems like Josie has developed some "learned behaviour" and a fear of eating and drinking milk. This might have been caused by forced feeding when she was younger? So she is trying to assert some control and independence by refusing to eat or drink. I think many of the mummies here have suggested many times, wonder if you want to stop tricking her or dream feeding her. Because this is not a healthy pattern, the worry is that this as Josie grows older, she will develop a dislike and fear for food, and might become eating disorder (not to scare you...but anorexia and bulimia are common in young girls nowadays). In the short term, of course it is very stressful and worrying if the baby doesn't eat, but you may need to put up with some short term pain for longer term benefit.

Pl be assured that I understand very well the distress of having to do battle with a baby who constantly doesn't want to eat or drink and sympathise with your predicament, Ethan goes on milk strikes practically all the time, so I just let him be. I think Josie is probably not as slim as Ethan (height is 76 / 77 cm, weight is 8.4kg - i.e. BMI of 14.5) so she still has plenty of reserves. So long as she is active, alert and happy, it's okay.

Learn to let go - so hard to do, but so necessary.

morning mummies!

Thanks for the replies. I dun think I'm overfeeding either but am still giving e pd advice a try. So far every 3 hrs he used to drink 160-180 mls. Now every 4 hrs he drinks abt 200-210 mls and he eats even more porridge than before! Seems like I was underfeeding... But pd did say by giving him milk so frequently he wld be lacking in iron which will affect appetite so now he is on iron drops. Strange though coz I thought fm is iron enriched?

groovy,

I think Emma is right,n i feel the more u try to force Josie to eat or drink the more she will refuse. Mayb you can try letting her feed herself with finger foods as and when? Offer her the food often n encourage her to eat but dun force? If she doesn't want then just remove the food n try offering again later? If she like drinking frm a straw or sippy cup mayb u can try feeding her fm frm there? eating shd be an enjoyable experience for babies n mummies to encourage healthy eating habits, it shouldn't hv to be a constant struggle for power. But then again its a trial and error process to find what best suits ur child, however i dun believe that forcing a child will ever hv any real benefits in the long run. She has to want to enjoy eating if u get what I mean? I hope I haven't offended you with anything I've said just wld like to share my thoughts of ur problem.

actually we're not particularly force her.. Just keep offering her food when she still shut her mouth tight tight. Sometimes if she forgot then she'll open her mouth..

If she cries becoz she really don't want the we won't keep offering food anymore.

We have tried to keep offering her food or drink for a few hours, sometimes she forgot that she doesn't want, sometimes she still doesn't want.

Right now we offer milk using straw, so she can stand, then we put the straw to her mouth. If she doesn't want then she'll just bite and play with the straw. But it's US who is tired, need to keep offering. Because unpredictable lor, sometimes want, sometimes even if she doesn't want, if we keep offering then she will drink. Huhu.. So it's not like she's struggling and we force.. But she plays something else, we keep offering. It's like she bully us..

because we don't know if she doesn't want really doesn't want or becoz she just bored or what. Definitely not becoz she feel full, becoz when we offer the water she'll drink happily

I've tried lots of fruits, different porridge, puree, always like that. Sometimes want, sometimes doesn't want. All we can do is keep offering and wasting our time just to feed her..

Especially nowadays, she eat lesser and lesser food. Maybe becoz she's teething..

It's like: if your baby want to play, but it's her feeding time, would you let her to play until she's tired, or would you keep going with the schedule?

If you let her until she's tired, what if she become more cranky becoz she wants to sleep and later doesn't want to eat anymore at all??

So we keep going with the schedule and keep offering her food.

if that's the case did u speak to ur pd abt her feeding habits and did he hv any suggestions? It could be that she just has a very small appetite if she's still growing well and active. Is there any particular food she prefers that u can offer & she seldom rejects?

It's been on and off actually.. Today she's okay.. It's just last 2 weeks she's been eating only a few spoonful of all the food we offer to her. (except milk)

I think PD is not nutritionist. I encounter going to PD who's just saying she's just a small eater, just don't force her.

It's just we still want to put in extra effort to keep offering her food.

I totally believed if a fussy eater during childhood doesn't really mean it'll always be like that when they grow up.

I myself is a fussy eater during my toddler days. I will keep the food inside my mouth until the rice becomes so sweet like sugar before swallowing. My maid has difficulties in feeding me, it can be hours and hours! But in the end I get rid of that habit (I can't remember why and when).. During my toddlerhood, I hate carrot, but then, in the end I still eat it after my parents told me that it's good for my health and ask me to try first. Nowadays I can eat almost anything.

During pregnancy time, I learn that eating green veggie is a must and must eat lots of them. And it must be the dark green leaves that last time I used to not very fancy on them. So even though we are buying food outside, I always asked my hubby to takeaway the green leaves veggie only from the chinese rice. I learn that eating papaya is good for piles so I started eating them every day. Eating food is really depends on the persons personalities, whether they want to keep healthy or they want to keep eating junk food and get problem afterwards. When people grow up they will really learn about it and they'll make choice for themselves.

I think at this point of time babies won't know what's good what's not good. I don't have the heart to make her keep going on without food for hours or for the whole day. That's why we as parents really puts on extra effort to feed her. Later when she's older and can understand, we'll stop the dream feeding at night and told her to eat more for lunch/dinner and to finish her food. Nowadays we can't make her to understand. It really depend on us as parents.

And to be truthful, last time when I'm total breastfeed her during my maternity leave, she can really sleep overnight at 10 pm to 6 or 7 AM. Because I total latch her so we never dreamfeed her. The dreamfeeding starts when she's on nursing strike. She really will fuss but won't nurse even though she sleep overnight. Even until 10 hours without anything! She'll keep fussing until get tired then sleep by herself. We really don't want this to happen anymore, that's why we started dreamfeed her.

It's the same as sucking thumb. At this stage, I don't think we can get rid of that habit. When I release the thumb from her mouth, she'll still sucking her thumb again and again.

And it indeed helps her to sleep and coax herself to sleep again when she wakes up, so she didn't cry when wake up in the morning and wait for us to come and see her.

I don't know why at night she'll cry if she wake up. Maybe becoz it's dark and cold and she's alone (we don't co-sleep). In the morning she's okay, she'll just wait for us to see her and she'll open her eyes and stop sucking her thumb.

I think last time she can goes without milk not just for 10 hours.. Maybe 12 hours or more. I can't really remember. Becoz she sleep overnight and keeps refusing for 3-4 hours until she gets tired herself and sleep again. And at that time she's not even 4 mths old.

She likes to pause during latching. Maybe it's just her habit. Right now when we feed her using straw, sometimes she's like that. Drink and drink but then halfway pause. Then starts rejecting. Then need to wait and play with her for a while first before she want to drink again. So it really depends on us whether we want to put in extra effort to make her drink/eat or not! Because otherwise she'll just drink/eat very little, and won't really fuss if she's hungry.

Loca,

Is your boy's ezcema getting better?

Isaac's condition is improving and I am half wondering if we are doing a good job controlling his ezcema or he is growing out of it. Hope that it is the latter. *crossing fingers and toes*

Hmm... mummies and daddy still keen on having a birthday bash?

I see on facebook there are a few babies going to the play gym in Marina square. How about having the bday bash there? I remember when I last enquired it was about $35 per baby with 60 mins of organized play time and 90 mins free play.

As of LoNG LoNG time ago ... RSVP list was :

1 Ann

2 Caris

3 Marrissa

4 Zuen + DD

5 Princess D + DD

6 Stella (TBC)

7 Cherry

8 Teoong

9 Breeze

10 Groovy

11 Shin

12 Apple

13 Bibizai

14 Tiffy (TBC) + DD Hubby Reservist

15 Diveera

16 Vivian ~Rhys&Rhea~ (TBC)

17 BBlin

18 Snoopy

19 Starry

20 Momotan (TBC)

21 Lilac (TBC)

22 Shirley (TBC)

23 Seabreeze (TBC)

24 Lilbluey (TBC)

25 Tigger

Groovy ....

You may be right that your bb is a fussy and small eater ... since you are so confident of your own assessment that you can re-train her when she grow up ... I guess we mummies here should not worry abt your gal.

All the best

Back