(2010/03) March 2010 mtb

Thanks CC for organising, it was a fun event for the kids and for the mummies to catch up. Happy to see familiar faces [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Sky,

u r very generous to give us all balloons! sweetie pie!

Jules, Isaac used the babysafe cot mattress. I don't find any strong smell. It's nice n firm. But nw I'm trying to transit him to his single seahorse mattress on flr, but he always ends up climbing onto our bed with us. Smart boy... Between a 30+ and a 3k + mattress,he knows his stuff.

Clever boy [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] FYI, babysafe single size mattreess selling $559. must preorder. Warranty only 2 years.

Hello mummies! Just managed to log in n read the posts...

CC, thanks for organising! Lac had great fun n knock out after that... Btw, the voucher u can have it since i dunno when i will be going again. =)

Sky, thanks for the balloons... Ur hubby so nice to pump for all of us... Xin ku ni men le.... =)

Hope to have another gathering soon!

BabyL,

Okie dokie! But don't think I'm going if it's only ayden either .. See how, maybe we can plan for the next gathering on following public holidays.

Thanks for coming ;)!

wow thanks jmmabb for the info...i m planning to go next week to jurong bird park. if not wrong, this month all museum free entry too!

Hi CC, Elise, joyful n babyl,

You are welcome. My hubby shy so a good job for him. Glad that all kids like. Next time if got meetup and news helium.. I can buy

Here's something interesting for our kids when they get older...

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?autocom=classified&req=showprod&product=16944

Trunki BoostApak (Boost a Seat & Back Pack)

BoostApak is an ingenious product from the Trunki brand. For safe car travel, it is recommended that all children under 12 years old or 135cm in height use a booster seat, so it's important to always have one with you. We understand that this often isn't convenient. BoostApak is the ideal solution; a spacious, hand-luggage approved back pack which doubles

as a booster seat - perfect for family holidays and car-pooling.

Feature

♦ Unique fold-out seat belt guides - with quick release button to fold

back down

♦ Wipe clean removable cover - Makes cleaning easy after messy journeys

♦ Spacious capacity - Plenty room for travel essentials

♦ Ergonomic back padding - To encourage better posture and

protect growing spines

♦ High visibility reflective trim - so you or your child can be seen in

the darks

♦ Hard plastic internal sheel - protect the content of your backpack

♦ ID Tag

♦ Seat belt adjuster - customize the strap height to fit your child as

they grow, ensuring maximum safety

♦ Suitable for children between 4 - 11 years

Mummies, need your feedback on your fav. strollers..

want to sell my Peg Perego 2009 Pliko P3 for something lighter, more comfortable. so many brand in the market

The playhouse Vouchers mailed out, hope it clears post and reaches on thursday/Friday

Btw, as much as much as I hope, return address provided - there's no lost mail.

Dear mummies...need some advice and i guess, some mental support but this is a long post and i thank all mummies who are taking the time to read this...

I'm preg with my #2 and due to poor oscars results, i'm scheduled for an amnio in 2 weeks' time. As much as i know i shouldn't be making any plans before the amnio result is confirmed, i cannot help but worry about how im gg to cope if #2 makes it. Am now on hospitalisation leave from hyperemesis but am on very effective drugs which allowed me to finally function. I was put on drip 4 times and hospitalised twice. Due to long periods of inactivity, im now suffering pain from muscle loss. Emotionally, i am so very down & has contemplated abortion numerous times. But somehow, i made it with my gynae's support and i think i'm 14 weeks+ preg now.

I've just moved to my parents' (sengkang) last weekend but things are not going so well. My parents are very frustrated and tired out by my boy's frequent wailings and demands and find him very difficult. My poor boy is teething and somehow, for the past 2 months, he started to sleep badly and was extremely clingy. It doesn't help that he just started childcare at a new centre a few days ago. My husband, thou does not understand my condition, has been pro-active when it comes to caring for our boy. He tries his best but as i was the maingiver, our boy just cannot 'accept' him and makes things very difficult. My condition has caused alot of stress n tension to my family members.

I'm not sure if i should move back to my place (jurong). Staying at sengkang is so much more convenient for my husband who is on standby 24/7. His workplace is only 15mins away at most. Also, he is more likely to be able to help me send our boy to school in the mornings unlike before (there was no way he could reach his workplace on time even if he drops our boy at 7am sharp at the jurong centre).

But the presence of our boy is causing much stress and frustations to my parents. And i know if my #2 makes it to term, my parents will not be able to tahan helping me with my confinement and yet also help me with my boy in the evenings. They love him and like to play and spend time with him but they do not want to take care of him.

For now, i am trying my best to regain my strength as even bathing my boy takes me much effort. I'm not sure if they are reluctant to help bathe my boy as so far, they delay my boy's bath time until my husband returns home from work. My husband tries his best as he knows for now my blood pressure is on the low side and i get dizzy when i have to stand and squat. But he gets frustrated when my parents don't volunteer to help bathe my boy.

My parents are not supportive of us having a 2nd child but i do not wish to give the bb up at this point unless the amnio result is not good. I tried asking if it would help if i engage a confinement nanny to help them out during confinement but my mum was not agreeable, saying that if i have 3K to spend on confinement nanny, may as well give 3K to my dad. My dad is not working but my mum is. But my mum would most likely be unable to take leave to help thou after work, she said she will try.

I don't know what options i have other than moving back to jurong. But that would mean changing my boy's childcare centre again and my husband will have to travel very far for work on a daily basis again. It would also mean i'll be on my own again and i am afraid that i cannot cope on my own. I know i might be thinking too much as i'm not sure if this bb will make it but my gynae is optimistic so i feel i should plan ahead.

Mummies with no help, how to cope with sending #1 to childcare, caring for #2 and coping with both at nights?

BW,

Take heart in reading your post, really can't advise much on childcare matters as I'm a SAHM.

If childcare is difficult, would you try to employ a helper instead? There are various options these days, you can hire a nanny which will help you and your parents cope with #1. These nanny's are well experience in handling children, not your usual helper. Maybe understanding #1 more will ease the tension within the family. With your current condition, moving back and caring for a child solely will really put more stress on your health.

A step a time, hope you will come to a better decision and hope Oscar results will be good. Take care.

BW,

I read your post during lunch just now. My heart goes out to you.

Neither am I in a position to provide any good suggestions, but I think what CC suggested does make a lot of sense. It's like Thai people who employ live-in nannies just to take care of the children.

Perhaps you can explore this option and the costs involved.

I have heard of this option in Malaysia, so if you think you're interested, PM me and I see if I can find any sources in MY.

Bw, try hiring a maid to aid ur parents. I think u shd stay w them cos moving back home will mean readjustment to ur boy n inconvenience too.

Stay w mum n they can help watch over maid n maid can help look after boy n housework. After u deliver u also can get extra help w a maid around. Nanny cost is high. Maid cost about 650 monthly.

My personal opinion. All the best. God bless.

Hi BW,

I cant give u any good advice but I feel that maybe at the moment you can afford why not have helper. During confinement, u can have help also. That my two cents worth of suggestion.

Try to stay positive not matter what happen cause bb will know. I know is easy say to be done but try!

You must take care!

BW, first of all congrats on your pregnancy and please do not give up..

With your current condition, i second the idea of you staying put with your parents. No matter how unwilling or how frustrated your parents are now, they are still around to help out not to mention the convenience for your hubby to work.

Lynn is right..hire a maid for your parents to help out.

Take care and have faith!

Dear CC, BabeE, sky, Lynn & 1727....thank you so much for your replies. I salute all SAHMs out there, whether you have help or not. I've read about how children develop best during the first few years of their lives if their mothers are home with them but i really do not have means to do that & am very ashamed to say i will crazy if i have to stay home.

The main problem is my dad wants his freedom. He doesn't wish to be confined at home. He wants to be able to read his papers, eat, nap, meet his friends as and when he wants to. He does not wish to be restricted by my boy ie face him 24/7. He prefers our boy to be out of sight. I did consider hiring a maid (as i understand i don't have to keep her for the full 2 years right?) but again my mum is against the idea, saying if i am so free to spend $ on a maid every month, may as well give them more allowance. No matter how i try to 'solve' the problem, just cant...had a long talk with my husband last night and we just come to the conclusion that not all grandparents are willing to help & to be fair, we cannot expect them to. My parents told me they had more their fair share of raising my younger bro & me and if we have children, we should take care of them because we are the parents, not them and if we are unable to, then stop at 1. Don't have another one then expect ppl to help & blame them when they can't/don't wish to.

As you mummies have advised, i've decided to continue to stay with my parents. But i will try my best to do everything now instead of expecting/hoping that they will help. I tried fetching my boy home last evening & bathed and fed him thou i feel pain everywhere & got dizzy. But i believe i can do it. This morning, my dad was bugging me again, wants to know if we'll be returning to our place tonight.

After i put my boy to sleep last night, i tried to prepare myself by reading threads on stillbirths & mid term terminations of pregnancies. And i realised just how insignificant my worries were. The caregiving of my kids should really be the least of my worries. I felt the pain of the mummies who had to give up their babies due to various reasons and here i am, wondering who can help me with my kids if my #2 makes it to term.

I've been throwing up so much i doubt my #2 has gotten much of the folic acid i took. I conceived while i was on yasmin & anti-depressants. Did i cause the poor oscars result of my little one? And till now i am still taking medication to curb my nausea.

I am now with TMC as my gynae no longer practises at KKH. I wonder if any mummies here ever went through amnio and if it is possible to get the results much faster with TMC. 2-3 weeks' wait is too long for me...by then i would near 20 weeks already & if i have to give up the bb at that point, i cannot imagine. Thou i cannot say if it will make any difference, that 2 weeks' difference...

Bw,

Yap,congrats too...

Like the rest, i agree with what they proposed....though nagging from parents can be very frustrating,but with help in ur situation now is better than none.... Cant advice much too,cos cub not in childcare,i do not ve a 2 yet. But my heart goes all the way out to u! Dont worry too much on things that may not happen,causing un necessary stress to urself... Try to focus on other things... Maybe give ur parents some time too.. everyone is in transition stage now,all of the sudden they may find it hard to adapt too.... Things will be in place,after the transition period.

Dont worry about whether bb absorb folic acid or not, i been through whole day ms almost throughout #1 pregnancy but she is good as well.....

Hi BW, be positive and things will turn out well! Glad you hv made some decisions to move ahead.

Just to let u know you are not alone and every family does hv it's own set of problem. But at the end of the day, things will get sorted out.

I hv returned my maid. She has caused much strained between my mum n us. The triggered point was 2 big things she made. I suggest if your parents are not receptive to one, then try to look for alternative like a more full time nanny where u can send your number 1 to. Otherwise, get him to get use to going whole day preschool. At least at when bring home at night more pairs of hands to look after. My take is also staying with parents is a better choice. Hope things will get smoothen out for you soon.

BW - I've gone for amnio for both pregnancies. You can get the results within 3 days but must pay a couple of hundreds more.

baby will always get the best, it is you (the host) who will suffer if you do not replenish enough nutrients.

Jia You.. must be super positive thinking now. Everyone can be against you but I read that your hubby is so so supportive.. keep the faith.

BW,

I personally feel that parents should take rest in their golden years and enjoy life while it permits. I don't have the luxury of helping hand, I envy much when I hear my BIL&SIL have leisure time be it weekday, weekend, evenings just to rekindle with friends for drinks or just a nice dinner for 2 coz their have parents and siblings to care for their kid. But but ... I keep faith and remind my husband, our 2some time with come soon and bear with all the sacrifice. Be it, I surely hope my children with sacrifice their all for parenthood when thier time comes.

It's difficult for now, babies grow fast so just try your best. Full time daycare with definately a good option as you have subsidies from the govt and it surely is a better financial option while your dad can take up a part time carier while still having his personal time.

Stay strong, being positive wins the battle ;)

BW,

My mum lives a street away and she takes care of Dylan on weekdays. You could consider sending Jude to her after Cedan if you need help to bathe/feed him so all you have to do is to put Jude to sleep. I'm sure she'll be willing to help. Only thing is you have to accept I have 2 dogs at my mum's home.

You are a strong woman. I know a good arrangement will come your way soon. Take care.

BW, only replied now cuz i re-read ur postings several times to fully digest what u've written and to understand what u must be going through right now..

its a tough situation.. but since ur parents are not receptive to helping out nor to the idea of a helper, the next best option is really full day childcare.. if u're not a sahm.

Jude's trying moments will definitely pass with time and hopefully things'll get better and being in a fullday childcare may help cuz the activities are very structured and routined and that may be what he needs.

as for ur work, possible to arrange for part-time scheme? that'll give u some time for your health and also to help manage Jude and relief ur parents off some load..

BW, congrats on ur #2!

I can give you much advice too. Am oso preggy with my #2 and has my fair share of problems. However, dont give up & be strong! I believe things will work out well for you and your family. Meanwhile, do take care of yourself.

BW, congrats on yr no2!

can't give much advise too cos I dun have no 2. Like you I also do not have the luxury of helping hands so I understand the tireness you are facing esp no you are pregnant. But it's heartening to hear that yr hubby help out. As you have been main caregiver for so long, it's natural that Jude can be more clingy to you but give him time to interact and bond with your hubby and your family. It's quite a challenge for him to be staying at a different place, going to a different school at the same time. So he need time to adapt, give him sometime too.

Stay strong, and take care too

BW, heart goes out to u wen I read your predicament. It kind of reminded me of myself except that my 2nd preg was a smooth one.

When it came to selecting a CC, we ensured that it's either near our workplace or home. We were lucky to find one in MOE building which is near both my office n home. At night, it'll b only the 2 of us. We never depended on our parents as we know their intention. Wen I conceived my #2, I Thot we cld again depended on my mil to care for my baby. Who knows last min, my mil dropped a bomb to tell us that she loved her job too much to give up. We had no choice but to quickly source for options. Now w 3 kids, it's still on us w/o our parents' help.

Ultimately, it's the support btw u n your hubby. On the contrary, I felt that u'll b happier at your own home instead. The headache may be the CC but better to settle now gor Jude so that by the time #2 is out, he has more or less settled in. For me, I have a maid and she was my confinement nanny too. So I save on hiring one. I can't survive on single income too so my hb n I work as one.

However, as u r not well yourself, it is dangerous for u to stay alone at home. Just that if I can cut other stresses by being on my own, I would rather handle it myself. Just go n move slower. Seren has been great to offer another option [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] it's always great to hv help nearby. I dun think your parents r helping by adding such pressure on you.

BW,

so sorry to hear about your predictament. I think it's the nights that is causing you a lot of stress. But with babies/toddlers, it's really so unpredictable when they will have a good night or decide to stress everyone out by crying the whole night and refusing to sleep. I think the most impt thing now is to work hand in hand w ur hubby and develop a zen like attitude. What will be will be. If one day your parents really ask you to go home, maybe you really should consider going home.. maybe you will feel happier at home despite the longer travelling by your hubby.

xihui, you had MS throughout the entire pregnancy?? It wasnt as bad for my boy but this time is really bad, most likely because my body was not in very good condition in the first place. I puked until my husband told me to go for termination. Im no longer puking now but the cost of the drug worries me, about $850 for 2 weeks' supply IF i take it twice a day. But its cheaper than being warded. I'll be able to sell my jurong flat in a few months' time, i think moving out n getting a place of our own will be easier on everyone....

reenren, thank you, this bb is unplanned but since i AM considering to have #2, its a blessing thou alot of times, i feel guilty towards my boy. He was in infantcare since 8 months old, i have no doubt he will b able to adapt to fullday childcare. Its the starting phase thats difficult n i just feel hurt that my parents find my boy a hassle. Getting a maid is all about luck. If your mum is the picky sort, you might nv b able

to get the right maid in this lifetime. I have friends who ended up sending 1 to childcare 1 to nanny or both to nanny with their maid tagging along or quit to be SAHM with maid. Because the mum or mil just cannot be happy with anything my friends try to provide. Will you continue to try get a new maid?

CC, same sentiments...i do feel envious when i see other parents being able to go out for dinners, meet up with friends or even have the option to stay back for work. Weekends i see them doing the same thing...most likely they leave their kids with the maids or parents-in-law. When i was hospitalised, my husband slept over at his mum's place with our boy as he cannot handle our boy alone. But i have to admit without my boy around, i had the chance to rest in peace. My husband hated it when i wasnt around and kept smsing to ask when i can b discharged from hospital. It added to my guilt and made me feel very inadequate as a mother. My gynae tells me i have to let go and accept help until im well again. The aim is for me to regain the weight n strength that i've lost. But family members expect me to be up and about the moment i stop puking. I get comments on how i've become a lazy mum who knows how to have kids but dont want to take care of them. I have problems carrying my 12kg+ boy for long with my growing tummy too. I try to encourage him to walk but he will cling desperately as if i will run away so fetching him to and from childcare takes me much effort as i have to carry him n his heavy schbag and the nearest LRT is a good 10 mins' walk. No problem at all for me in the past but now i cant manage without someone helping me to carry his bag but my dad finds it such a bother, saying im on hospitalisation leave now, whole day do nothing at home, now cannot even fetch my boy on my own and my boy's surname is not even the same as his. So i wanted to cry when Serendipity actually offered help. I'll listen to you n try to be positive. I still have a long way to go with my boy and you are right to say its only right we sacrifice cos we ARE the parents afterall.

serendipity, how did u know that Cambridge used to ne Cedan? Jude's form teacher is very nice but i dont like the one who receives him every morning. She just stares at jude when he wails n dont initiate to take over so that i can leave as my presence will encourage jude to wail even more. Very touched when you offered help to bathe and feed my boy! Its ironic....when his own grandparents are reluctant to. Would love to meet up with dyl and you when i get stronger soon, perhaps at rivervale mall! Kudos to your mum for having to cook, clean and care for dyl with 2 dogs! Very tough leh...for now i have no new arrangement coming up except that i might purchase a resale flat instead of waiting for BTO when i can sell my flat coming Nov. But husband not keen as he felt there will be too many changes at one go. I just hope in the months to come, he doesnt have to travel for work else im really on my own.

MT, im already on a 36 hour work week instead of 42 hour when my boy went infantcare last year. I m due to convert to 42 hr work week from year 2012 onwards as i thought my dad can help me fetch my boy to cc as he did say he's willing to. But now that he has expressed his preference not to be involved, i might have to continue with my 36hour per week arrangement. Pay, bonus, leave all will be prorated but i dont have a choice esp with #2 coming up n going infantcare in time to come. I pray for strength everyday.

joelle, wow congrats! How far along are u? Hope so far you are feeling well and not sick. But will still be very very tired. I've not cooked for my boy since July. Just opening the fridge in my kitchen sends me dry heaving. Do share how you been trying to cope....

winnie, thank you...i believe God meant this bb as a gift and not to break my spirit. It has been tough on my husband who never had to lift a finger with our boy. Suddenly, he had to fetch, bathe, feed, entertain, soothe, pack his bag, wash n dry his clothes, not easy....he was very resentful at one point about having to do everything on his own but he also knew he had no choice. I was so sick at one point that i didnt bathe for 2 days. I needed his help to go to the bathroom. It was very trying on him. Add on the medical cost n he was ready to surrender. I feel bad for burdening him but i must take the med....if i cant function then my boy how?

jules, it is difficult to depend on my husband due to his jobscope. He travels quite often and is on standby 24/7. Im usually on my own. He was very frustrated when i had to stay in hospital as he cannot cope with our boy n he had loads of work waiting for him. Now that we are staying with my parents, he would be watching tv while our boy creates havoc n my dad would be very unhappy. Some nights he will go out and meet friends for overnight mahjong n return in the morning falling asleep on the sofa while our boy throws tantrum. My dad will feel very stressed and tired. That is also y he is very unhappy about my pregnancy as he feels my husband only does the bare minimum and does not take on more so no point have another one. I did consider moving back to jurong but ultimately we will buy a flat at sengkang or punggol because my husband will never be relocated to another area n also because we prefer our boy to attend the same centre throughout. Headache everytime i think about the confinement but i will wait for my amnio result first then see how....its tough getting a suitable cc. I am still looking as #1 and #2 must attend the same centre and my boy's current centre doesnt offer infantcare.

little twin stars, yes....they are very unpredictable but my parents do not understand. Keep asking me if he is sick, y like this, y so difficult, y so pai2 si4, then show me black face in the mornings. They are used to sleeping at 8pm every night but with my boy of cause no such thing.

wish, thanks for the info, a couple of hundreds more i dont mind paying....kudos to you for going through amnio twice! Im not afraid of the procedure but hate the idea of having to wait.

Thanks mummies.

BW,

I'm now wk 17. Feeling tired too as to having to care for boy at night after work. I fetch him home from my mum place everyday w/o fail. Even on MC, i took care of him myself. I try to cook as much as I can for him. But many a time, its really outside food shared with him which makes me feel guilty. I'm facing my sets of problem too similar to urs. I've PM you my contact, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to call me. Take care babe!

BW,

Take a breather, fingers crossed your amnio results will be good. After the results than you can slowly sit and discuss with your parents again and weigh in your options. Hang in there.

BW,

Gosh, din know ur condition deteriorated so much after the last email exchanged. Is the wonderful medicine some Vit B something? I was also contemplating taking it when i had#1 but in the end choose to seek TCM help instead. I totally understand the horrible non-stop MS where u r too weak to do anything. I didn't go for the OSCARs test cos i was too weak to leave the house. I cldn't bathe on my own too. My husb brought a plastic chair into the bathroom for me to sit on while he bathed me. When i saw the lack of parental support for you, my heart goes out to u. U r so much stronger than me. Without parental support i dun know how i can go thru the pregnancy. It is good that you are recovering now. On a lighter note, ur husb will be appreciative of u cos the pregnancy is so difficult on u. Xin Ku Ni le! Take care! Think u still have my hp#, U can call me anytime u need help okie. I'm sahm & live in Tampines.

BW,

yes... ms throughout the whole pregnancy... 1 day countless time till it was the most effective method to lose weight!problem with ms is that u ve no energy to do things cos as good as no food intake.. u are strong! u can get over it soon!

i know this period will be tough on u, but pls remember whenever u need a listening ear, eye or anything, we are here!

Back