(2009/09) September 2009 MTBs

Hi mommies,

oh..my boy also cant talk properly yet. he only talks in his bb language and its very fast..he only will follow wat we say (words, not sentence!)..actually i think its an improvement from him compared to few months ago when he doesnt follow anything that we say..he would just ignore us
sad.gif

i really really hope that he will talk properly soon..i even had a dream of him talking properly..ooh..how i wish...

Friomum
You must very stressed to even dream about your boy speaking properly. If he's 'parroting' words now, I'm sure he'll soon start to speak in sentences.

hi itsy,

YES! I am super stress and always ask my relatives and frens if it is normal, how should i encourage him to talk properly, does he need an enrichment class or anything

but 9 out of 10 of the answer i got is like just let him be and he will talk when the time comes.
so, i am still waiting..
i keep talking to him properly even though his answer/comment will be in bb language.i really hope the time for him to talk will come very soon

friomum
My boy learns some words from iphone flashcards apps and his phonic from leapfrog DVD. U may wanna explore these too? But of cos, must control cos they may end up playing other games on iphone and watching TV instead of learning from the DVD.

Hi Dodelee,
Welcome. Some kids will need longer time to talk in sentence just like my boy.

Hi mommies , quoted below from Baby center
Language Red Flags

"Don't rush to consult a speech therapist if you have no idea what your 2-year-old is saying half the time (or if you understand perfectly, but Grandma and the babysitter are baffled). Speaking involves a lot of coordination. Kids this age commonly lisp, stutter, and mumble. But certain speech problems are considered red flags. If your child never imitates your words or speech patterns or drops particular consonants consistently, mention it to her doctor. "

http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-26-month-old-language-red-flags_10329573.bc?responsys_count=0&scid=mbtw_post26m_3w:1261&pe=MlV5QmxCcHwyMDExMTIwNg..

Dodolee,

Your gal attend any PG or childcare ?

My boy miss his therapy class and the lady says probably got to wait like 3 months for the next appointment. I have ask his doc to speak to the therapist, hope don't have to wait so long. hai..

Chinese,

I have been teaching my boy using mainly English and very little chinese. He doesn't know colour , shapes etc.. in mandarin. Totally forgot to teach him .

Hi mummies!!!

How's everyone? Xmas mood? I am going to pop anytime! So that's why have time to log in! Time really flies and it has not been easy juggling work and no 1. Nice to read the posts haha!

Connie,

He has fits due to high fever. Admitted to hospital. He's okay now, back home.

The teacher teaches them trapezium in Chinese .. Faint

Cookiezz,
Time flies. Have a smooth delivery and enjoy your confinement. Did you engage CL?

Kaira,
wow, the weather is bad and making many kids fall sick. Mine just recovered from cough then 1 week later HFMD. Now have slight symptom of cough, maybe I gave them too liang stuff during HFMD. My colleague recommend Ruan gu chao with honey, it do helps to cool them and their case was mild.

Haha, I have problem in teaching them shapes in chinese. I don't know the words in chinese for a few and they really 1 ear in 1 ear out. Tested yesterday, my gal just follow his brother and my boy purposely said everything wrong and laugh. I told his teacher, I given up cos he just won't cooperate with me. They agree this type of kids have to pass to teacher to teach. HB no time to teach cos he will tell daddy correctly.

Connie,

Oh gosh.. hope they speedy recovery in time to celebrate xmas.. U take care too.

U mean the Ruan gu chao is for kids who has fits before?

I didn't teach him alot of chinese. Got to start doing it . My boy will sometimes purposely do all the wrong things too. very cheeky.

I totally agree that some things school is a better place as compared to home teaching. Cos of peer pressure bah.. My boy can't sit still when having his meals. Run all over the place, hide under the table and the helper got to chase him around. I have teach, scold , threaten, cane all sorts of method, no change.

Cookiezz,
Have a smooth delivery. No X'mas feast for you but confinement ends just in time for CNY goodies. Jia You!

Kaira,
No, Ruan gu chao is a type of cold stuff. If kids is heaty, can use. HFMD consider heater ba.

My gal starting to have pattern. cane don really work for me. Find their skin v thick lor. Now for my boy, he only listen if I tell him I download a game for him in ipad. My gal still don understand. Your boy can understand now? Or maybe my gal don understand mommy only. Not sure which is which.

Now, everyday I ask her did u talk to teacher today? getting sick of this.

Connie,
Thanks for the article
happy.gif

looks like ur gal very close wif her bro..so good
happy.gif

btw does ur gal talk wif her friend in school?looks like she is a very shy lil gal..
actually, i was like that too :p i still remember my parents and teachers were very frustrated. and i will only talk to certain friends/people..i only start to talk more in high school :p hahaha...

Kaira,
hope ur boy is fine n kicking now
happy.gif

btw, how come the teacher teach shapes already ar?
aiyoh..actually i dun even got time to teach my boy about color ley
sad.gif
and he havnt start his school yet. coz he wont sit still or listen to wat i say
sad.gif
how to teach ar?

Congrats Cookiezz! Also quiet quiet ah you! keke Hope you have a smooth delivery!!! Gambatte!!
happy.gif

Connie & friomum: Have you tried reverse psychology in a positive way? I tried on my girl and kids in school and it works (well sometimes..) Of course we don't want to use it too often else they will get the wrong msg to do the opposite every time we say something, you don't want to be caught saying "Please do run across the road". To them, it's like a game. Eg. some kids will whine when I give homework.. I say in a drama way with actions.. "Ok.. then you better not do! If you manage to answer the questions, you become smarter than the rest!" Something along that line.. and it normally works hehe

As for teaching of Chinese, due to the nature of my job (zhi2 ye4 bing4!), I've been doing it along the way with English (my helper and mum are speaking to her in broken english. Eg. My mum told her to mop the table instead of wipe or clean -_-") I have to remind my mum to speak to her in Mandarin because they are picking up real fast nowadays. And my girl showed her she can.

She catches pretty fast as I keep repeating daily like steps of washing hands in mandarin. I don't think my girl have to patience and attention span to sit down for a good 15mins to learn like how we teach in school. She will actually pull me away when I point to ABC chart I pasted on the door. But when Hub teach her using chart while feeding her, she guai guai listen and try to follow.

No books never mind, we go out we come across cat I teach her Mao. I speak to her mainly in Mandarin. If she doesn't understand, I will use actions/point or repeat in english followed by mandarin. Like bring the clothes to wash, I pick up the clothes and ask what is this? When she say clothes, i repeat clothes- yi fu. She normally will repeat with the "ah" behind..lol (yi fu ah?)

My hub complain she can't master A-Z & 1-10, I teach her vocab got use meh? Sorry la but to me, learning got SOP to follow de ah? :p

I don't think need a book and a chart, make the kid sit down then they can learn. They are actually picking up along the way by observing and copying what we say and do. I guess they will eventually pick up the specific subjects and topics. (I bought one set of English n Chinese flashcards when we spree-ed for it but didn't use! hahaha..) And no one method fits all la.. so have to trial n error see what works for your kid (just like in sch)
happy.gif

Connie,

My boy not afraid of cane too. Maybe i cane not hard enough .. Haha.. It's really not easy handling them now .. Hai... Very tired.

As for your gal, better not ask her every day, later she feel
stress.. Give her some time. Does she interact with other kids
in her school?

Friomum,

Ya his school teach already. Also do some tracing of alphabets. The school starts with small letters. At home I teach him big capital.

My boy can't sit still too. I can only teach him before his nap and sleeping time. I make sure he sits on the bed and we will read books, do puzzles- shapes, alphabets , charts etc..

Other time if we are in living room, very difficult to catch his attention..he will run about. So got to use Gina method.. Just teach as and when there's opportunity like walking down steps, you can do counting of the steps with him etc... Or see the traffic light, just tell him what colour is it.

I heard should start from small cap. I started my boy on big cap n his teacher look at me ans said almost 95% out there are all in small caps. Why I taech big. Then I go.... he is my 1st boy so I'm not sure...

She will tell ah ma she want to walk the other side to look for her school mate but the 2 kids now promoted to the new premises. She don talk to peers in sch. My MIL said that she say bye bye to teacher yesterday which is a good sign. I ask her, she says got talk to teacher. Hopefully she is not referring to the "bye bye" lor.

Gina,
I usually tease them that "gor gor bu hui ha?" then at times he will say it correctly. Chart are there so that occassionally we point at the animals, they can tell me. I bought lots of magnetic aphabete for them and they play n throw.

I thought learning Vocab and A-Z is concurrent. Have to expose them to words.

Last nite, I gal ask me "ni mai sei mei". She like to follow what gor gor say.

Connie,

You see, I'm also a blur blur mummy.. Yup most times is small letters and I only teach Big caps. Never thought of..

I use those slot in alphabets to teach him to recognize.

It's good that your daughter likes to follow what her bro says. I expose them to vocabs, not just letters.

Thanks Connie, itsy and Gina!

Still waiting..... Gina, when will u pop?

Connie: yah using my same CL for no 1. Anyone has recommendation for part time CL? Looking for one next feb..

Itsy: yes heng cny has more goodies than Xmas!

My son's sch has also started on shapes in eng and mandarin. He is more into triangles than other shapes. Colours was started way back but he always says green whenever we ask him abt colours and after some coaxing then he may sometimes get it right. So far colours has been the hardest thing for us to teach him n I am a bit worried he has colour deficiency (which I have!) haha! Teachers in school did not pick up alarm so we will just observe more.

I do agree with teaching 'on the move'. Very effective. That is how my son learns most of his words. Also reading books help. But must be patient and very animated to capture his attention.

hi mummies,

long time havent come back to the thread. any babies starting prenursery in Jan next year? my girl is.... dont know what to expect! think she will be very clingy and might have problem with separation anxiety!

gummymummy
my dd2 (2.5yo) will be starting in january, montessori preschool. i expect her to cry and be frightened but hopefully not as bad as when my dd1(3.5yo) first joined school. also im hoping she would settle down quickly cos her older sister is in the same preschool. i enrolled her in a dec hol drop off 2hr prog with dd1. the teacher told me she went to the toilet 8 times in that 2 hrs. and didnt want to walk to toilet, must carry all the way. then when in class, she sits on dd1's lap and refused to budge. her poor older sister was trying to eat with her younger sister sitting on her lap. haha

hopefully things go smoothly in january for our little ones who are going pre sch for their first time!

Thanks Kaira and Xiaowei! It's really not easy juggling 2 kids... Now tt CL is here I can still eat snake and have someone prepare meals for me. She is leaving in 5 days but getting on my nerves already!

Happy CNY to all!!
happy.gif
Just switched on old laptop to dig out the information shared back in '09! Ah... those were the days :x

Hello everyone..Long time, never visit this forum. My two and half year old daughter is being taken care by my mum. So far, im quite happy with her progress. I will make time to read to her every night without fail. I even bought those tracing alphabets books but shes too young lah to understand. hehe.So Kancheong right. im enrolling her at my workplace childcare next year since im expecting again. My mum can onlu take care of 1 child at a time. Its ok for me coz i want her to learn the survival skills. My daughter is toilet trained now but she dunno how to wash herself. i hope she can do that by next year.hee

Cookiezz - same about GREEN. I ask my daughter and her first answer is always green!! And I have to ask and ask if she doesnt get it right after 2 more tries she gets annoyed with me
sad.gif

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well!
My 2 years and 5 months old toddler is so challenging now! Hard to have a peaceful day when he follows all our orders. He must "dili-deli" here and there before taking bath, food, change, etc..He is a very picky eater, very hard to get him to eat. Anyone has experience with picky eater?

How how how? My boy is still not toilet trained. He'll say he wanna pee. Sit on potty 10-15mins nothing comes out n he'll say dun wanna pee already. Put on training pants n next min he pee or poo. Other than toilet training he's ok with the rest. He knows his abc, shapes, colors, animals n many more. Just not toilet trained!!

Maelyn.. I now sometimes use "reverse psychology" on my girl. When she is offered something (normally what she likes), and when she say no I don't want.. I will just say OK and have it to myself. Sometimes when she see us munch happily and will request for it as well. Or I just give her an alternative. Either this or that (it's like giving her autonomy to choose but in fact she is being limited).. Hehehe Oh and I read somewhere maybe you can try "countdown" to them, so they are prepared. Like 30mins before the certain activity say taking a bath, you make a statement like "we will take a bath in 30mins!" then every now and then you make a similar statement (eg."5 more mins to bath time!") to remind and prepare kids of the activity.

Not sure if my girl can be classified as picky eater... It's the same during meal times lo. She likes veg, fish, chicken etc but nowadays when we ask her she will be like "No.. I don't want eat XXX." We initially will persuade and stuff but now we just munch on it and comment how delicious it is and when we offer her again, she usually will take it. Do you all have a common meal time or adults and kid dine separately?

O_O Michelle! My girl is a total opposite of yours! Mine is toilet trained in the day(accidents still do happen sometimes..) still wears diapers at night and if we go out.

She does not know how to recite a-z, shapes and not all the colors (hub is concerned about these.. which I think she can pick up in sch). She tries to repeat after me though while I have time to play with her. She can ask you questions and answer in short sentences (mandarin and english). She does not like to watch tv programs for long. I will be amazed if she can sit front of the tv and stare at it for 5mins.

Maybe you can get hub to demo? haha cos I "demo" on our toilet bowl while my girl sits on her potty. Sometimes I just place her on our toilet bowl with another potty seat. Think it helped in my case la.. heh heh heh.

Michelle,
My boy started off with sitting on potty to pee. Only at later stage he learn from his dad to stand n pee but now he switch between 2.

Try to catch him n train. My friends boy will hold his penis although wear diapers, that is one of the sign. Usually cc start training when kids are 2.5 yrs old or when they can express themselves.

My gal can sing abc song but still not able to recognise all e 26 characters.

Now she act infront of me, I show her banana n I'm very sure she know it is banana. She keep quiet n say she don know. Maybe learn from sch.

Michelle,

Ian knows his ABC and colors... etc but also not toilet trained. I am not worried cos i believe he will be once he's ready. Just need some time. My grandma will comment that when she bring us up, the kids are toilet trained by 1 yr old! And said I'm not doing my 'job' well... but to me it's ok. Why stress the boy?

Gina& m- thks for the well wishes.Im two mths preggie.
For those mummies who are currently toilet training their child, dun give up. I started too early when she is just one and half year old. Initially she peed everywhere when not using diaper. then when she reach two, she start telling me but the difficult part is, when in the car or outside where i put on her diaper coz im afraid i cant find any toilet, she will refuse to pee in her diaper and say" ma, want to pee ma!"Now, shes two and half, she seems to understand taht when she wear a diaper, she can pee in diaper but when shes not wearing any, she will rush to toilet, open her trousers and do her business. she will call me to wash her up then. Parts and parcel of a growing toddler.

Im just worried bout my girl attitude. Refuse to share anything with anyone. Even when we go to the zoo and she was looking and pointing at it , then comes a young boy who stand beside her, she will wail and cry and push the poor kid. I mean,even that she cant share. I need to work that attitude of hers . Maybe because she didnt go to school but she recognize abc even phonics , numbers, colours and shapes. I read to her every night and she got an ipad which i filled with so many educational apps, nothing else. i hope when i send her to childcare nx year, she can learn to share her stuffs.I really hope so.

Toilet training> I give up. I think he is not ready. He'll say he wanna pee n can sit in his potty for 15mins never pee. Than he'll run around the house without diapers n pee on the floor. Guess he needs more time

i toilet trained my girl when she turned 2 yrs. must have alot of patience. by 2nd week my girl is night trained as well. must keep reminding them to tell u if they want to go toilet. u must accept that pee accidents will happen, and we all learn from mistakes. if dont want accidents then how are they gonna learn?. my first 3 days was hell lor. but worth all the wiping and cleaning cos in 1 week she was able to run to toilet to pee already.

I'm ok with pee accidents. His biggest prob is he says he wanna pee, go in toilet he sit there for 30mins or so, nothing comes out. Than he starts touching n playing around with things in the toilet. Even if he does pee in the toilet, it's just a little (not all comes out). Wear his training pants n he pees more in it.

Back