(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

dear all mommies

I am doing a BP! So busy with work and BP so didnt come in. Hope everyone is fine.
happy.gif

SMH- BP#2 Word World Flashcard, Word World, Mickey,Pooh, FisherPrice Workbook

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4189702.html?1278384792

wow ecmom, then everyday who is 'guarding' her?

BTW, may I know how much it is to hire a maid? With my number 2 coming next year, I need to plan.. not sure to get maid or put both children with the nanny or I return to be SAHM..

Sigh. I really headache now.
Did a calculation. with my current salary, I cant afford to put both children with nanny cos that will be abt $1200 plus no. 1 starts school next year too so another $200++. my take home only ard $1500

If I put childcare, cost also ard $600+$780=1380

If I stop working, dont think hb alone can support whole family.

but cant find job with higher pay now cos preggie. must work till after delivery.. sigh

hi mummies,
long time never post.. (gee, i always started with this statement).. hope all babies are well..

i just delivered not too long ago.. and as expected, baby Isaiah is born with 2 holes in the heart (tiny ones which should close when he is older).. he was warded in kk icu for acute bronchitis last week.. just got discharged.. here's his best photo to date.. couldn't take much cos he was in kk for 1 wk

btw, ah ching re maid.. are u comfortable to leave ur children with the maid alone? some may not be so fan xing with maid.. anyway, maid salary is around 350+/-20 and u have to include maid levy of 170..
4235467.jpg

Hi fatmom, congratulations!!
Baby Isaiah is very cute
happy.gif
Hope he gets well soon.

if i'm getting a maid, then will send them all to my mum's house in the day time..
my only worry is children being very close to maid. i'm the jealous type. want baby eyes only for me. ha ha

fatmom, Isaiah is so photogenic! congrats! Glad the hole will close up no big worry
happy.gif

Ah ching, another 6 mth our bb will go childcare instead of infantcare. wow ur side the childcare so ex? 600? mine will be $300+ only in another 6 mth now he in infantcare then $577. mayb you can look ard see if got cheaper childcare?

<font color="cc3399"> <font size="+1">Congrats, fatmom!!</font>
Looked in on this thread after weeks (months?) of not bothering and saw your post.
Glad that Isaiah won't be needing surgery for the holes in his heart. That's a blessing!
Hope you cope well with the two bubs now. Pls send hugs from me to Amelia
happy.gif
</font>

Hi everyone,

mighty quiet here recently? I haven't been logging in often cos been too caught up with Noah who has been down with flu then had cough and the phlegm just won't go away... hiaz

Hi Fatmom! Glad Isaiah is doing fine and won't be needing surgery! He looks adorable! Hope you get good rest
happy.gif

THought I would share something with that I thought was a good buy. I ordered a balancing bike from a friend's spree... think she's doing the 2nd batch now...

http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4136071.html?1278663874

hehe... think it will be fun to see them learn how to zip around soon... apparently can start them off at 18mths... so by the time the stk actually arrives our lil ones will be nearing 15-16 mths? kekekek

<font color="cc3399"> I shall throw out a feeding question even though it seems barely anyone's posting anything any longer.

Some with picky/fussy/small eaters probably think this is a happy problem...
We all know we're not supposed to force-feed our kids. What about the opposite?

Every now and then, Kyle has a FREAKILY GINORMOUS meal. He'll have 2 large jars of home-cooked pasta in one seating (or 2 bowls of rice). His belly becomes so round and firm and still, he can ask for more food. I'm usually horrified by this point and refuse to offer him anything else.

Most of the time Kyle DOES stop once he's has enough - he'll shake his head at proffered food or indicate he wants to leave the table - so I know for sure that he isn't a serial binge'er.

Every time he pulls this little 'hat trick', I can't help but wonder if I should really allow him to decide when to stop, and thus, just continue to offer him food? Or do I stop once he's up to double a usual portion?

(p.s. His regular portions are already bigger than any of his friends'!)

What think you girls?</font>

Cassy,

My boy seem to ask for more too. Due to his big round tummy and he still having constipation, I don't give him more. But sometime I wonder whether I hinder his growth.

Cassey,
Cayden can finish 2rice bowl of porridge, sometime he only take ½ bowl. He will make “want to vomit” sound to hint us he got enough, if we ignore his hint and keep feeding him he will vomit all out. So I will stop once he hint us or once he finish his usual intakes (2 bowl) if he want more, I will latch him instead.

He have a round tummy too, wonder how come his arm and face look so slim.

you all are so lucky!!

My boy only takes 1 bowl and that takes so much effort already.. i have to entertain him, play the dvd so that he can eat.. and he cannot sit still on his highchair, keep wanting to get up...haizzz

how do u get your babes to eat so happily? do u distract them? pls share your tips!

haha.. seems like most mummy have big eaters..if I got an enormous eater, I probably will cap their food eater..

I'm like bbPP.. V only takes at most 1 bowl, got to act like clown, use toys or daddy to keep her entertained.. sometimes refused to sit on highchair and I got to chase her around..sometimes cannot finish then I just give up.. no point forcing til she gag and vomit out
happy.gif

pls share your tips to smooth feeding.. I need it too!!
happy.gif

bbPP, chidori,
Think maybe his milk intake is lesser. He drinks 540ml of milk only.
Casey,
Have u tried 2 feed him slower? I notice if I drag the feeding (due 2 food 2 hot or chunky) he will lost interest b4 he finish it.

agree with bluedream, slower feeding do help to reduce food intake... alternatively offer food that need more chewing, it helps to drag the timing between each mouth of feed... or maybe allow him to self feed...

now i serve my gal's food in small chunks in her munchkin bowl with suction base... though utensils are provided, she mainly pick the food with her hand and munch them piece by piece... her intake of food now is lesser than those days where she used to gulp down a huge bowl of porridge... but one thing to take note is... her milk intake is still a lot... avg of 900~1000ml daily...

My son is on a sudden milk strike or shld I say btl strike since last week. He is refusing the btl. Don't know why but hoping it will pass. He insists on latching even though my ss is dwindling badly. Suspecting that it has to do with his slight increase in eating solids haha or shld I say semi solids hehe...maybe he is just born with small appetite. If he takes to eating more he can't drink milk??

I tell myself it will pass but still a wee bit worried cos he isn't eating all that much.

congrats fatmom! agree that he looks very cute!! my girl likes to eat lots of biscuits... which I try not to give too much cos I'm afraid that it'll be too "heaty"...

Sorry this is a little late, but CONGRATS FATMOM!!
happy.gif
My niece had a hole in her heart too, and it healed up nicely before she turned 3yrs old, so I'm sure Isaiah will be fine. He's gorgeous!! Hope you're recuperating fine. How's A doing? Is she taking well to her lil brother?

It's like a ghost town in here now hehe... Everyone's prob all caught up in Fb... I'm too lazy to even log on to FB half the time! wahahaha... oops...

Doing crazy research on preschools now. It's all mind boggling. Why must kids go to school??!! *sigh*

Hi dear mummies,
hope to get some advice on breast pump.

which electric breast pump is the most silent and efficient for expressing milk?

I have 3 medela mini electric but i find the motor very noisy.
will need to express milk in the office. boss allocated a space with no partition, so need to get something really silent and can be battery operated...

TIA!

ah ching,
i find medela swing quiet and it can be battery operated. its single pump though, and not for heavy duty pumping. was sufficient for my use. easy to clean too.

<font color="cc3399"> thanks mums for your input! I haven't checked this thread since my question til today.

And after thinking about it, I reckon I'll just give Kyle a maximum limit of twice his usual portion and stop. After all, he doesn't have these crazed eating frenzy episodes often. Maybe once a fortnight or once a week.
happy.gif
I usually still allow him fruits after that so it's not like I'm starving him.

And BluDream, nope. There isn't a noticeable relationship between speed of feeding and amount consumed!

bbPP,I don't try to distract at meal times. As long as I know it's food he likes, Kyle can either eat it or leave it (although this annoys me. ARGH!!) once I've applied my "3x Rule". If it's a new food, I typically have tried-and-tested food on standby to offer him in case the he doesn't take on to the new item.

He'll indicate when he's had enough (shake head, push spoon away, stop coming to me for more or just whine to leave if he's seated at table). My 3x Rule is: I'll still offer the food to him after a short break or a drink of water. If he says no the 3rd consecutive time, meal time is officially over. Outside of this 3x Rule, if he whines to leave the table, meal's over too.

Last Thurs, a friend of mine shared her daughter "wasn't eating well" and I just said as per the experts, let her decide. If she doesn't want a meal, just take it away and let her resume her play or whatever. Try again at the next meal time (not 30min/1hr later to make up for the missed meal). I just met up with her today and she said her girl's already eating better after she tried that advice I passed on from all the literature on baby eating! Try that?

As long as your little fella is a growing and developing well, don't let food bother you!</font>

hmmm, finally got some 'activity' here. haha.

tubbymummy,
im also looking for preschools now... headache too... difficult to find leh. haiz...

question:
anyone knw or advise why jarius has been crying super loudly, eyes closed, oblivious to eveyrthing ard him, jus cry and scream at the top of his voice..when it's his bedtime..he alrdy very tired liao, but after latching him, he will jus cry and scream despite he alrdy asleep and unlatch by himself... haiz..its been going on few nights.. and im seriuolsy very pisseed off by this... irritated as well.

hi ahnet.
i experienced the same thing some time ago.
how i stopped the crying is to wake baby up.
i 'shouted' "AHPP" then baby become awake and then stop crying and go back to sleep..

the crying could be triggered when 'unlatched' himself.

have you start weaning J from the breast?

i overcame this crying episodes after i successfully wean my boy from his night feedings.

bbPP:
step 1: i tank baby up before his bedtime so i know that he is crying not due to hunger

step 2: i cut down the middle feeds
my boy was feeding 8 pm, 12 am, 3 am, 5 am and 7 am.
so i started dropping the 3 am feed. gave him water.. at first he kept crying and crying.
but i persisted.
when he didnt get his feed, he started to sleep thru the 3 am period and wake only at 5 am
then i started working on the 12 am.
i refused to nurse him and just pat him to sleep.. he cried initially but finally got the idea that he is not getting neh neh and stopped fussing after a few days

step 3: then i stopped nursing him to sleep. I nursed him for awhile then ask him whether he finished and unlatched him.
so now he can go to sleep on his own, without nursing. but i have to be in his play pen with him.
the best part abt weaning his night feeds is that he is sleeping from 9 pm t0 6 am now. even if he wakes, i just pat him then he will go back to sleep.

be prepared for a few weeks of sleepless nights and tantrum throwing from baby.
he went thru a period when he cried almost all the time... until i was mental..
luckily for me it is all over now!
i still nurse him at bedtime and when he wake up in the morning ard 7 am..
i think i got no milk but my boy still like to latch?? maybe it is an emotional thing for him.

<font color="cc3399"> ahnet &amp; bbPP, agree with Ching. It takes serious commitment to the cause though, cos it can be a very trying period especially if you're not in the best state of mind yourself from tiredness or struggles at work, etc.

Month ago, I shared at length about my lousy sleeper, who latches to sleep and wakes repeatedly at night for nurses. I shared tips from the Sleep Lady and BB Whisperer too... After months of training and interruptions due to HFMD, illness, vacation, etc., my sleep training goal finally come to fruition just 5 nights ago!!
biggrin.gif

Post-bath and pre-bed, I can now nurse Kyle.. pop him off the boob.. turn off the lights.. kiss him goodnight.. pop him into bed.. and *this is the deal clincher!* immediately walk out of his room, shutting the door behind me. The next time I enter is when he wakes for his morning nurse. *I WAS ELATED WHEN IT FIRST HAPPENED!!!!* He's been consistent so far.
happy.gif

For a time, I actually stopped latching him before bed and got my man to take turns giving him a btl. That kinda broke the mummy and her boob routine. Is this an option open to you?

If you have supportive spouses / support carers, it helps to get them to go in when bb wakes in the night cos they won't associate this person with a boob. This person will have to be prepared to deal with a fight and/or lots of crying and soothing though. (S)He'll need an arsenal of patience. At first my man did offer him a bottle, but we stopped after very quickly. Cos what would have been the point of getting him from a mid-of-night boob to a mid-of-night bottle?!
sad.gif

I'm not comfortable with abandoning Kyle to cry it out. To paraphrase BB Whisperer, a baby is too young to have any real fear except ONE - the fear of parent abandonment. So when we abandon them to cry all alone, we make that fear come true for the child. It's what she terms a trust-buster, and I had to apologise to Kyle for doing that to him.

So I preferred Sleep Lady's softer approach and as per my preference, stayed with Kyle and talked him through, even lying down on the floor beside his crib for >2hrs in the middle of the night. Sometimes I'd fall asleep myself *oops*, but this way I know I'm not breaking his trust. He cries cos it's a new experience for him and he's frustrated. But I'm there so he knows I'll support him through his learning every step of the way.

Sorry for going on and on... I thought this was such a great thing to have learnt from these sleep books.
I hope some of this sharing helps or inspires some mummy struggling with her kid's sleep issues.
Kyle's a success story so try these experts' recommendations!
</font>

hi Mummies,

wondering any of your toddlers doesnt seemed to like milk? My daughter 14 months doesnt seemed to be able to finish her 250-270ml of formula.. using Nestle NAN Pro now...She only drinks average 150 - 180ml each time...( 3 times a day)
Not sure should I change the formula brand or??
Always had a hard time feeding her.. may even take an hour? She will drink half way stopped... and got to distract her using toys and music to make her stay still to drink her milk... SIGHhh

Hi newmum, thanks for replying abt the breast pump..
I'll probably need to pump every 3 hourly in office so considered heavy duty usage right?

Hi Ah Ching, I had only used Medela Freestyle before, so can't compare with other models. It can be battery operated (rechargeable battery) or it can go by DC. I found it quite ok for me la.

Hi vogue_mummy, is baby drinking less milk because she's taking more of porridge, biscuits etc?

<font color="0000ff">Collect Sgp Coins Minted in 2009:</font> Hey mommies - I'm Apr 09 mom. Dunno if u noticed bt Sgp Mint has released for circulation e 10, 20, 50-cent &amp; $1 coins minted in 2009. I've collected 2 add 2 my boy's memory box. I also collected for my gal those minted in her yr of birth (2007) -- tho in dat yr I tink dint hv 50-cent coins. Anyway, thot I share &amp; c if any other mom wanna collect 4 ur own bb. Bt I'm nt sure if ovr e yrs e shininess wl tarnish... My B1's 2007 set stl ok so far
happy.gif

vogue_mommy,
I only give my boy 180ml 3 times a day. I give him water and juice + 2 bowl of porridge. As he is on the chubby side so i think should be enough.

Ah Ching: I uses Medela freestyle and Medela PIS. Both quiet, but only freestyle can do without the battery. But you got to use nursing bra with the clip to "hold" the pump though.

Cassey: Thanks for sharing, now that I'm in HK maybe I can try it out... haha letting my mum petting him to sleep now.

Sweethalo: my boy kinda "afraid" of the teat after my last trip to HK. He can play with the bottle but once we open the cap and show him the teat, he pushes it away.

Dolly - whahha u in Hk again?kekek nice! Ya dono y now hates btl totally n refuses the btl no matter the contents be it fm, ebm or water! I tried using a different btl instead of avent today also not very successful. Playing w btl is a fav but no drinking! I wonder if it has anything to do w teething hahhaa always blame it on teething kekek

ah ching - I use freestyle as well and to mr it's been the best investment tt I made for pregnancy related purchases ehheeh. Initially I used the handsfree straps as dolly mentioned but I got too lazy after awhile so ended up just balanced the 2 btls with one hand while expressig. No complains for me, I love the portability, the soft shields, the sound is soft enough too. I think First Years at paragon is hving a promotion, maybe u can call them.

hi ah ching,
yes i think 3 hourly is heavy duty pumping already.. can consider double pump too.

cassey,
i read with envy the amount your little ones is eating. i'm one of those struggling to make my girl open her mouth for meals. we have such different challenges. Any mummies kind enough to share recipes that rock with your kids?

Back