(2009/06) June 2009 MTBs

Re feeding:
My boy tests my patience everytime I need to feed him.
Tried to put him on highchair, give him toys he will throw all on the floor. End up i keep bending to pick up toys.
Put him on the floor, he will crawl here n there, end up floor also very dirty.
Sigh, on TV he will multi-task, watch TV and crawl ard play toys all at the same time.
The worst is the nanny told me he will sit on the floor and finish a whole bowl of porridge within 15 mins when she feeds him!

Tubbymummy, my boy behaves exactly like S. Once he sees my food, he'll refuse his own food.
Usually when I cook soup, I will cook until almost done, then scoop a portion into another pot for baby and add seasoning to the original pot after that. So everyone gets nice food
happy.gif

RE walking
My boy has been walking 3-7 steps for the last week. But he is too anxious and will fall into my arms after that.
That day he wanted to go to his toybox and he walked half the hall before he realised he was walking. I was so surprised. In the end he still fall onto his knees and crawled. ha ha

RE teeth
My boy's 4th, 5th and 6th teeth are all coming out at the same time! anyone's baby also like that? The 3rd tooth is also only halfway out.

toffeecat, tubbymummy,
baby tantrum (arch back, flip, kick and whine):
A is also doing that at home. I just ignore him and he will stop whining. Normally happen when I don't get the thing or attention he wanted.

Hi Ah Ching (ah_ching),
Hwa xia can ‘test’ scale? All branch?

prepare gifts for guests who come to the party? ==> is upto you, I din prepare goody bag for my elder girl party but this time I DIY a small goody bag for the kids.
Do I have to prepare red eggs or any traditional things for 1st birthday? ==> red egg is for baby shower? I did not prepare anything traditional thing for Cayden 1st party. Maybe you can cook mee sua and a drum stick for him on the actual day.
Many mums have been talking abt cupcakes, what are they for? as gifts or part of the buffet? ==> usually mummies will get it as part of the cake. They will order a small cake with cupcake.

<font color="cc3399"> Thought I'd share a relevant article I was sent by BBcentre for Kyle's first birthday.

<font size="+1">Tantrums</font>

They can be embarrassing, frustrating, and annoying — but less so if you recognize that tantrums are a natural part of babyhood (and toddlerhood). It's not that your child is trying to be manipulative or malicious with his outbursts. Tantrums signal his frustration when he's having trouble communicating or becomes upset at not getting what he wants. Especially when language skills are still developing and a sense of preference is growing, your child has little choice but to fall back on the primitive "babyish" responses of crying and screaming.

The good news is he'll eventually outgrow this phase. For now, here are a few sanity-saving tips to keep in mind:

Be responsive. Your child develops a sense of self-worth and happiness as you take care of his wants and needs, so it's best to fulfill his "requests" whenever possible and practical. If you can't give your little one what he wants and he reacts emotionally, be calm and comforting. It also helps to offer another option.

Recognize the good. Be sure to praise your child when he's well behaved so that he gets positive reinforcement for good behavior.

Practice prevention. You can prevent some tantrums by avoiding situations that may upset your child or by planning for them ahead of time — for example, by having snacks on hand to avoid a hungry meltdown. Giving your child the chance to choose among alternatives (food, activities, and so on) and minimizing your use of "no" will also help bolster his emotional resilience and stability.

Keep your cool. When your little one is having a tantrum, be calm and neutral about it. If you can, resist giving your child too much attention, which will only fuel the tantrum. Acknowledge his feelings: "Mad? You're mad because you want a cookie?" Then calmly state your rule: "No cookie now, but after lunch." A flailing toddler isn't going to absorb much discussion or teaching at this point. Avoid arguing with your child — yelling or threatening is likely to escalate the tantrum and frighten him (the tantrum itself may scare your child because he feels out of control emotionally). Stay close to him and hold him if possible. If your child becomes violent, take him to a safe place where he can settle down.
</font>

<font color="cc3399"> Another that I was thinking of clarifying but the bulletin covers too...
Our kids are all talking. Whether or not we consider them 'real' words as we know them is another thing altogether!

<font size="+1">Q: What counts as a first word?</font>
A: Your child probably hasn't meant anything specific by the random babbling he's been doing for months. Now, however, he's learning to connect the sounds he's making with the things they stand for. He's also developing the physical skills to make that happen. "Speaking is a combination of using not only the airway and mouth but also the tongue against the roof of the mouth, which is quite a coordination effort," says Sajjad Yacoob, a pediatrician at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. That means the first words your child will speak are likely to use sounds that require less coordination. "'Mama,' for example, uses just the lips," says Yacoob. "'Dada." on the other hand, requires the tongue to go against the roof of the mouth, so it typically comes later."

<u>In the case of identifying your baby's true first word, though, expert opinion is only that — opinion.
Whether or not an utterance is a bona fide word is something only parents can decide.</u> ... Emphasis my own. ~Cass</font>

Re birthday cake,
went to check with Bengawan, the Mickey mouse cake is $40/kg.. and they dont have accompanying cup cakes.
I'm thinking of doing Mickey mouse theme for my boy altho he would prefer Handy Manny, ha ha..
Sometimes I think they wouldnt really care whether he gets a theme or not.

fatmom, i think the pd very insensitive lo.. say until like dat.. 3 days no need to eat oso can =__=. take great care of yourselves!

Tubbymummy, yeah i'm still staying quite close to you haha.. maybe it's really this area.. but that thing i bought isnt working, my hubby still able to kill 1 or 2 fat mozzies in the morning. Maybe i should buy a more expensive one hee.. I bought mine at home fix too! =)

<font color="cc3399"> skylermum, can't help with getting rid of mozzies... but to safeguard Skyler, perhaps a mozzie lotion?
I got a tube from an organic skincare shop at Sq 2.
Kyle only gets the rare bites these days although I don't use mozzie patches in the day any longer.
happy.gif
</font>

hi mummies, can i ask if those FP/Playskool walkers are safe? i havent seen an actual one yet, only those in the box so was wondering if the wheels might be slippery against the floor and cause our babies to fall flat on their face when they push the walker before taking a step. thanks to let me know!

caramelle, the playskool ride &amp; walk is not stable i hold on to it. think i't for them to push ard when they can walk. but i like the fact it has 2 function later can still ride on it.

Fatmom, i believe ur boy will be fine! dont think too much. last time my niece lack 1 nose bone tot she mite be downsyndrome but she's fine!
happy.gif
Hope A recvr soon. u be extra careful, going to pop already no good to catch from her.

my starhub dunno what's wrg cant surf net at home. .. work still ok but the lady sup suck.

Maryg i smsed u, did u changed hp??

how's everyone doing?
happy.gif

happy bday to dwayne and kyle!!!
happy.gif

btw, any mummy knws abt cheeryland schoolhouse? is it good?

bbpotato,
is the HB orders still onz?

tubbymummy, haha ya their tantrums very annoying. even more so when my dad tells me "what tantrums", says R never throw tantrums at his place. now trying to explain things to her first. think most of the time, she throws tantrums cos she's tired. DH says like me
sad.gif

Cassey, Bluedream, thanks for the info and tip.

Ah Ching, it depends on how u want the party to be. just like planning ur wedding banquet :p for our case, we'll just be having a cake, buffet, buying some deco for the chalet and showing some photos to the guests from when she's born till now. we din have a 1st month party. no gifts for guests, but thinking of getting something for the kids though. i was thinking of organising a singing competition for the kids but my DH says no one will be paying attention.

hi mummies,
sorry i left out the details,

area of stay is bedok...

pt-helper/cleaner to help do housechores
prefer to come during wkends
$$/hr between $10-$15.

those with recommendations do pm me.
thanks

thanks cassey, never thought of the lotions cos i dont really like those lotion on my skin as usually it's pretty sticky. but i guess there's no choice. Will try the organic one you recommend. thanks!

Re: tantrums
I think it works when I ignored his tantrums (when he wants to play with our phone etc and i dont allow him). He will stop after a few mins.

caramelle, i tried the FP one, i think adults must be holding on to the infant when using. The wheels can roll pretty fast and I think there is a possibility that they can fall to their knees or flat on their faces =)

ah ching, for parties.. i wont be preparing gifts for kids.. hee hee just decor, cake and buffet

caramell, playskool ride &amp; walk need adult guidance too. Especially if the baby has the strength to pull himself to a standing position. The base is too light, I put a 3kg weight on top of the wheels. Plus the wheels can only go one direction. My boy prefer to push the side of the baby walker (he is not placed in the seat) instead. I feel it is more stable and he will move to different position if he get stuck.

Aug usually throws tantrums when he is tired and when he is eating. He makes a lot of noises during mealtimes, as if protesting against eating. Sometimes he will blow raspberries to show displeasure too. The other time that he usually protests is sleeptime. Nowadays it takes me 1 hour to put him to sleep. He will do his thing first-roll around, look out thru the glass panel at the cars downstairs, crawl around the bed, nurse several times and when he is finally tired, make some noises, roll on to his side and fall asleep. sometimes i wonder where he gets his energy-for a baby who doesnt sleep alot and who doesnt wanna eat...how strange.

Ah Ching, for bday celebration, I'm preparing some goody bags only. No red eggs or what, I don't know what the customs are anyway haha. But my mum tells me must give S a drumstick to eat on actual day, so I'll just go along with it. Shall buy a big one, think it'll be hilarious to let her hold and figure it out
happy.gif
Must get camera ready... Shall take your advice and improvise my cooking "procedure"!

bluedream, ya I ignore her too. Cos if I don't, I'll end up scolding her, which is pointless.

Cassey, the "eventual" outgrowing of tantrums might be a few years yet! Haha... I think tantrums are natural, but just don't like the idea of her rubbing face on floor/rug, and worse, public floor. Yuck.

Skylermum/Cassey, I bought anti-moz wipes today! Think it's Pigeon brand? $1.90 for pack of 12 wipes. Shall pop them into baby bag for use outside. At home, I have these in my arsenal: high-freq thingy, moz patches, antimoz lotion, citronella oil, and insect-zapping "badminton racket". Wahahaha! Skylermum, was tempted to buy a big big one from homefix haha, thought it might work better. But couldn't figure where to place it, so got a small one instead.

toffeecat, I blame my hb haha, he was the king of tantrums when he was a kid.

The mozzies at my place have a "never say die" attitude as well! i bought the tiger balm mozzie patch to put at the back of Sophie's tshirt when we're at home.If i dont have the fan pointing towards me at full blast at home,i can get 2 or 3 bites within 10 minutes.grrrr!

re: drumstick on bday
wat's the drumstick symobolise? why must eat drumstick on bday ar?

anyone knw which is better? thematics or montessori?

<font color="cc3399"> Mozzies rule! to our detriment
angry.gif
I'm guessing the hot and wet weather doesn't help either.

skylermum, I think once absorbed, those lotions only become sticky when you're sweaty. Haha... I quite like the smell of Kyle's but cos it's really thick, I apply half and half of mozzie lotion &amp; regular lotion in the mornings after he changes out of his jammies. Anyway, just fyi, the one I got is Bud's Mozzie Clear Lotion
happy.gif

4005586.jpg

THanks to ahnetsan for the bday wishes!

caramelle, Re: Walkers
Kyle had a push walker given to him when he was just 3M old. That one was a cheap basic one that WAS pretty fast on its wheels. But as long as someone is there to guide, it's alright. Kyle began using that independently when he was about 9 or 10M. For his 1st bday, someone got him a PlaySkool walker and this is heaps better. It isn't as quick... the wheels feel rather "sandy" so it's got rather a bit of friction and is probably a better choice. (Digressing, I saw one on WTS for only $35. Heehee...)

Kyle hasn't needed guidance with the walkers for a couple of months now. I think it's good to kinda just support the other side of it and let the kid push it at a comfortable speed. Once we let go and they get a feel for the full speed, I think they adjust their balance pretty quickly... ??! As Kyle got more confident, we stopped supporting the walker and just followed behind him with arms in a loop close to his hips, ready to catch him if necessary. Since then, he's been ZIP-ZIP-ZIP'ing around the house!

Anyway, as for the direction of the wheels, Kyle goes in any direction he wants... hahaha...! He got sick of being stuck and figured out how to reverse by walking around to the opposite end and pushing from there instead. Now he walks to the side and pushes it until it aligns in the direction he wants to go. Such a hoot! PlaySkool is quite steerable, in my opinion. Good to look at too.
biggrin.gif

tubbym~, ya... I haven't been impressed by Kyle's tantrums either. He arches his back so I ignore. One time he did it just when I put him down to remove his PJs. Ended up lying on back on the floor at my feet and kicking his feet in defiance. I sat back in the chair and waited for him to calm before I did anything. BUT!!! I did snap 2 pictures.. WAHAHAHAHA!!!! He stopped for each shot but continued after. The little rascal.
happy.gif

</font>

Hi,

Can mummies with the Pigeon food maker share how you wash the white bowl with grooves? Even with brushing there seems to be brown stains (from juices) between the grooves and look so unsanitary. How do you clean it? TIA!

Hi mommies

I am new to this forum. My baby's born in june and gg to be 1 year soon. I would like to wean him off breastfeeding... does anyone have any advice other than cold turkey? i dont think i can bear to hear to him cry and cry, i will surely cave in but i really want to STOP breastfeeding. Thanks for your help!

hi bbPP,

You can introduce more solids, or solids more frequently to cut down on the day time latching. Gradually it will be down to about 2 feeds a day - once before sleep and once upon waking. Then gradually taper off. Hope this helps
happy.gif

Hi bbPP,
I think you can cut on the time you latch baby each time. Also increase the intervals you bf.
Most importantly must do it gradually otherwise you will get engorgement.
By the way does your baby take bottle? cos you probably need to substitute bm with some other type of milk.

And newmum is rite that you can try increase solids intake.
I substitute 1 of my boys milk feed with cereal and my boy is ok. So now he does not latch in the day.

Hi newmum,
regarding staining of the foodmaker..
I dont have a Pigeon foodmaker but several utensils I got always have a disclaimer that colourful food will stain the plastic. e.g baby spoon.
I think it is normal and you cant get rid of the stain unless you use harsh chemicals.
You can minimise it by washing it immediately after use.

Re first bdae traditional practice
My mum say must give 2 eggs.
Can substitute with quails' eggs as the normal eggs baby can't finish.

Can use deboned drumstick or thigh meat? or little drumlets?

Hi Ah Ching,
Thanks for replying my question. The colored stains can be scrubbed so that its lighter. But between the grooves, it is darker cos cannot be reached with brush. i've tried soaking with hot water, soap solution and scrubbing, doesn't work. I'm wondering how other mummies manage this.. or leave it like that?!

HI newmum, I leave it as it is on my baby spoon.. mostly the sweet potato or pumpkin stain.
But I now use porcelain or steel bowls and plates and metal spoon when feeding these colourful foods.
The stain is so difficult to wash off esp on clothes.
My boy like to kiss me when he has food on his mouth, ha ha. Several of my shirts now got splotches here and there.

Thanks for your advice

I feed him in the morning when he wakes and at nite when I am back from work. He has started taking solids 3 times a day. But for milk he only wants to latch on and drink from the tap... no bottles for him.. when i try to give bottle, he will cry and dive into my chest...even if someone esle feeds him the bottle, he will also refuse and i cant let him go to bed without drinking milk... how am i ever gona stop breastfeeding like that?
sad.gif

Hi bbPP,
I am in the same situation as u..
So cant really help.

But u may consider changing his solid to before bed time? then ask someone to give bottle when u are not back from work yet?

Hi bbPP,

Sounds like my baby too. You can try spoon feeding, my baby refuses bottle but takes to spoon feeding of formula. With DVD of course, else it will get messy. And she can even take 300ml at each go with DVD. *disclaimer: you will have to wean her off DVD next time* :D

Skylermum, tinybubu, Cassey, I'm starting to think that mozzies are concentrated in our central-east area. Just draw a circle around our estates, and that's prob where 80% of Sg's mozzies are.
angry.gif

caramelle, S has Fisher Price's walker-to-wagon. Eh, I just brought it out today for her to play with hehe. And my goodness, it kept her occupied for the whole afternoon!
happy.gif
She was more interested in flipping the shape sorter thingy up and down, and was quite OCD about having all 3 shapes in the "wagon" compartment at the same time. Hmmm... Anyway, it moves at super speed. She's not used to using a walker yet, so I'm pushing it for her, so to speak, so as to moderate the speed. She just walks at whatever speed I allow it to go. I tried letting go a bit, and it appeared like her short legs couldn't catch up with it haha!

ahnet, think the drumstick is to symbolise that they will always have good food, and will never starve?? I don't know... thought my mum said something like that, but I can't be sure
happy.gif
I guess in olden times, drumstick is already considered a luxury item?

Weaning off bfg:
I think even if wean off slowly, engorgement will still happen... It did for me at least. I was only down to ONE latch a day (at night), and when I finally weaned off that one, my boobs still hurt for a week. And then shrank by a cup size (maybe more). Now pretty much back to original size I think...

Tangs sale:
Went to tangs member sale on Wed... left S at home with my mum an went on my own muahahaha! Freedom!
lame.gif
Even though I didn't have baby with me, I ONLY bought baby stuff, oops. But had a good time picking out S' birthday presents
happy.gif

hi all, just to share, if you really wanna stop bfg, can rub some lemon juice on ur boobs. But must be prepared to stop bfg immediately &amp; some crying from ur baby (think baby feels cheated).
Also, maybe good to make sure baby drinks milk from bottle etc cos my friend tried this &amp; her baby stop taking milk all together cos baby scare of sour milk. Its only a few months later that she manages to get her baby to drink pediasure cos its chocolate milk (different color).

anyone has any idea what cream/lotion is good for eczema? Aug's ear is becoming red from all that scratching and the rash doesn't seem to go off. Im hoping to use something natural for him. Tried the california baby lotion and calendula cream but doesnt seem to alleviate it.

<font color="cc3399"> bbPP, poor you... I'm a bit the other way round. I want to continue, but sometimes it feels like Kyle's ready to stop. Other times he thoroughly enjoys it and I do too
happy.gif
However, I keep forgetting to latch him on in the daytime. Oops...! Trying to be more disciplined.

> With your bub, when he doesn't nurse, does he still get that quantity and quality cuddle time with you? Will it help if you cuddle and hold him close to your boob when offering him a btl? Or latch until he's just dropping off, then substitute with a small btl? Gradually increasing that? Cold turkey does seem a little cruel. But perhaps as per Michelle's idea, rubbing a yucky smell on your girls may put him off enough.

> On the subject of btl teats, I read that it's best to find something shaped most similarly to your own nipples. So maybe look at his current teats and change them if necessary? Just throwing out ideas here... Hope you do find something that works.

Michelle, WWAHAHAHA!! What a method! Ya, I've heard of this before... also rubbing garlic/ginger on boob. But seriously, it sounds a little painful.
happy.gif

bbAug, I've found that lotions influence Kyle's mild eczema less than wash. I can use a regular Johnson's lotion with a good wash from pd. But if I use regular wash - mild or whatever, with a good lotion from pd, it doesn't help. So maybe that's what you should look into...? Kyle's used a German brand from PD and Milderm from sister... now he's using QV and it isn't as fantastic but still not as bad as regular soap.. Hope Aug's skin gets better really soon.
</font>

cassey, i am using california baby super sensitive head and body wash. Actually i think it works fine for him cos he only has the eczema on his ear and its only 1 ear. the other ear is fine. how strange. So i thought i will need to get a good lotion cos we dont really wash the inner ear with the soap anyway. thanks for the suggestion though.

Michelle,
poor baby must have been traumatised!

bbaugustine,
if its very bad, can use steroid cream. otherwise, calandula is quite good enuff. but need to use consistently until it goes off.

there's 20% off at Kiddy Palace for members. Almost wipe out all the party stuff! :X

Aisha has started walking alot. In fact, she has stopped crawling all together. very good progress but seems to be walking everywhere like into toilet, out of house when i threw rubbish etc. even during kindermusik class, participated fully by walking when we were all walking and dancing around. so cute!

styliciously
must be excited and busy at the same time to keep an eye on her. my boy still prefer crawling, only can cruise with aid.

bbaugustine
jamus has been using cetaphil recommended by his PD when he has ezcema. was also given this steriod cream (desowen cream). try to keep dry on the infected area.

Hi,
anybody's baby having insomnia?
My boy can't sleep altho he is very tired. He's been sleeping 3 hours later than usual and missing his naps for the last 3-4 days!
He'll crawl/ roll around the mattress and seem to be in thoughts. Then will babble / make noises when he is falling asleep.
Is this a phase? Cos I hope it will stop soon as he'll be getting panda eyes if this continues.

He has also been practicing his 'walking' when I am not looking. so weird.
Saw him walk the length of the play yard when I was outside the room. But he will flop once I appear.
Or he'll walk tentatively in the play yard when I am pretending to be alseep.

Drumstick
I intend to give him that w/ mee sua &amp; eggs for lunar bday. think drum sym good life (always got good food eat) mee sua (long life) egg i dunno hahaha. suppose to let him bite a mouth then shred for him.

Sleep
Ah ching, J is also getting hard to slp too. somedays tk 1+hr.. he just too active . see his eye tired abt to doze then he will twist n crawl away or mk himself awake. i simply cant pat him on bed. i have to cradle him to pat...
ur boy so cute ah dont want to let u see him secret practising.

talking abt mee sua, wont it not be very good cos have to cut the mee sua for bb to eat right? i tot mee sua shd eat the whole strand one, cannot break one? to symbolise long life?

beemom,
its exciting coz she's an early walker. my 1st daughter only walked at abt 13mths so by then waited so long so not so exciting coz she was afraid to let go. haha! u can encourage ur boy to crawl more to strenghten his legs. I always have crawling competitions playtime with the girls just for fun n to let them exercise abit. haha!

ahnetsan,
I didn't know to eat mee sua is for long life. is tat only particularly for mee sua or other mee too? but if dunt cut, prolly can only intro when older n can swallow more. usually my mum will cut up.

anyone knows of any other toy rental co. so far 2 are closed n 1 won't take my order coz of venue - toy rental club, rent tat toy n toys for rent.

re baby not sleeping:
for naps, some won't want to sleep coz prefer to play til tired. so naptime will be reduced. aisha will sometimes nap only half hr in morn n no nap til I pick her up. so she wil demand to latch n fall asleep for half hr or so ard 6 plus. night time, maybe some babies still need to be rocked to sleep? I do that when aisha don't fall asleep soundly.

Back