(2009/02) February 2009 MTBs

hi mommies,

been a few days since i posted. still haven got the time to type out the details od my birth story. will post as soon as i can.

mibebe,

congrats, seems like our babies are about same size keke. . 3.34kg and 52cm.

re: breastfeeding

i agree with joannelim on the latching only part. till now im on total breastfeeding by latching only. . i started latching my girl only on the 2nd day cos i went through CS. first time latching is indeed not easy but its painless but painless only for the first day
sad.gif
!! haha. i know she wasnt drinking any milk cos she wasnt peeing and pooing but i latched and latched 2 hrly for as long as 30 mins for each breast. she slept with me on the hospital bed cos we both fell asleep. this continued for 2 days and by third day, my milk came and she just latches on every 2hrly, very punctual and once she take her fill, my breasts became very soft. 2 hrs later, they are full again and my girl empties them again. the cycle goes on. .. even in the middle of the night. at times when i was really tired, the tempatation to express and bottle feed is really strong but i once i see her satisfied face while latching really motivates me to presson. my nipples are definitely sore but i believe after another week or so, they will be seasoned so mommies, persevere.

kkf,

i also have terrible bodyaches but i wonder if its due to my poor posture.

Congrats to all the mummies who popped recently/updated recently abt their deliveries!!
happy.gif
Rest well & enjoy your motherhood journey!

Short update abt my check-up yesterday
=============================
Yesterday was my wk 41 gestation, overdue by 7 days. Went for CTG test, VE & ultrasound scan.
CTG test result showed there was mild contractions & baby's heartbeat is good
happy.gif
VE revealed that cervix is tight & only 1cm dilated.
Ultrasound scan showed that fluid level is still very good
happy.gif
& estimated baby's weight is abt 3.7kg (I'm surprised).
So far, baby's movements is good
happy.gif
. And we chose to wait for another 3 days (as gynae is comfortable w this option) to wait for labour to set in naturally. Been having menses type of cramps today on n off and very mild light show (since sunday). Still waiting for more clearer sign of labour. Next appt is thursday morning.

I've be diligently walking more these few days. Hope this will help labour to set in soon...

Yah Olively, Joanne is right.. i think record the sound and show PD?

Yan, yah.. bloody milk.. yesterday was 5th day already not pain.. skin healed fast..

Joanne, must latch for 1.5hr each breast in first month? I latch 30min, i duno i got milk or not for baby.. but i feel that baby sucking and pumping feeling is different.. the breast after sucking feels softer.. does it mean more empty?

peachmomo, thanks.. hehe, i almost wanted to mix both FM and BM leh.. anyway, my milk supply also low.. one pump 15ml.. maybe today 20ml la.. waiting for the pills that my gynae prescribe to work.. hope milk will up soon..

will update the table later... congrats mibebe!

faith, take good care.. you can see your boy soon!

I had my first hot bath today.. no herbs. cant take it leh.. washed my hair thrice and scrub body twice... heck care liao lah, rheumatism then so be it.. so oily and dirty.. hehe

anyone has any idea if baby's stomach has wind, what can we do?

My girl seems to be having lots of wind in her stomach (she farts quite a lot...). Maybe due to formula milk...
sad.gif

Yan, i m staying sengkang leh.
guilty mum again.sigh.

Really felt lousy, like not trying hard enough to give breastmilk.

mrslim, ur boy's hair quite a lot leh.
btw, updated photo of my girl at 3 weeks old...last time i posted her picture was when she was in hospital. This is how she looks now.
2146061.jpg

guilty mum again...sigh.

mummyo, my milk supply never enough...for my elder boy, i only managed to provide breastmilk partially, so in the end my period came very early...

think it will be here soon this time too.

hi gals,
congrats newly popped mummies!!
happy.gif

Breastfeeding:
yes, agree tat BF is really tiring. and i hate leaking. I very lazy to wear bra at home too, since all go out to work early morning. i pump my milk most of time. My boy "mah-bok" once he latch on. drink for 10min, then let go.. take forever to make him full.

So far my Caleb can feed from breast and bottle. Of cos he can drink more from bottle. Cos he tend to doze off easily after he latch. Make me doze off too. That's y i prefer to pump.

My Caleb sleeps ALOT, esp during day. Even with TV, children shouting, any noise dun really bother him. At nite, we wake up abt 2-3times to feed him. But he takes quite long to feed and he only drink abt 30-40ml each time. Like quite little leh...
And sometimes he can also tahan his poo poo there for a while before we change him.

Umbilical cord:
His umbilical cord dropped yday! Finally. My mum was still telling me in the morning she find it smelly and make me worried got infection. Then evening it dropped off. Day 6 after birth, quite fast hor? I hate that stupid big clip, like keep poking him.

Jaundice:
today bring him back for 3rd check. His jaundice back again! 255..
sad.gif

very worried. We sun him every morning. But dunno y still yellow. My mum also decreased ginger in her cooking le.. Thur got to go back polyclinic poke again
sad.gif

Discharge:
my massage lady say i got alot of blood clots and wind. True, when i touch my own tummy, can feel 1 lump, 1 lump like tat. My lokia flow also not very heavy, like going to end soon. After 4 days of continuous massage, yesterday evening, my lokia discharge suddenly increase. I went to toilet to change and wash myself up. To my horror, 1 big piece of thing juz flow out. I got a shock and shouted for my mother. It was a damn big piece of blood clot! For a moment, i tot it was a 2nd placenta....
(sorry gals, if i sound too grouse). I cannot imagine if that piece of clot dont come out and stucked there with me.... zzzzz

Bathe:
I m constantly perspiring. I cant wait for confinement to end soon! I bathe almost every day. But i try to tahan as long as i can not to wash hair.

kkf
dont be discouraged. Most important thing is your well being. Dont be guilty for not able to breastfeed. My friend gave up breastfeeding after 3 days. Her children are still very healthy n strong.

As for wind in the stomach, it could be your baby is sucking alot of air from the bottle. Whenever u feed with bottle, try to remove the bottle from her once in a while.. cos the teat will be flatten from sucking.. resulting in her sucking in more air. U could burp her in the middle of a feed and let her sleep on tummy in the afternoon.(must watch it cos they dont know how to turn yet)

white,
i think u can just latch on around 30-45min until you know your breast is rather soft n empty. If baby not satisfied, switch to another breast. If baby kept sleeping throughout the feed, always wake her up by touching her cheek and not wrapping her up. In the first month very tiring one, dont worry about her comfort sucking, cos u want to increase milk flow. You can actually even sleep while breastfeeding.. just learn the correct position to breastfeed while u lie down.

just like sandy, when she latches on fully, u should have your supply back very fast.

Prevention for sore nipple
do not breastfeed directly when she is extremely hungry. She will really put a pain to your breast as she is very aggressive. If u constantly feeling the pain n sore, or your child not sucking well, it could be you are latching her wrongly as in wrong position. After every feed, wet your nipples with some milk to moisturize it. Do not wash your breasts with soap. Always try to massage your breasts before feeding or pumping, that will help to clear some blocked area that are lumpy and enable baby to clear the milk.

oh ya.. be careful of wat you eat when breastfeeding too. Baby might reject your milk if you have eaten something spicy etc.
If u want to bf for a longer while, try not to feed FM too often, cos baby might prefer the taste of FM rather than your BM or EBM.

peach

my parent's place got three other kids. one is 4 and two are 1 plus year old. problem with my bro's 1 plus year old, forever screaming!!
my hubby is visting me time to time, not staying here.
Cannot be so selfish to ask my mum to move to my house to help do confinement lay cos there are 3 other grandchildren she has to take care of.
Plus my baby is no. 4 grandchild liao so i reckon her ethusisiam also not so great. that why i regret not employing a confinement lady.

Re: Peeling off skin
My baby skin is still peeling off a lot. i used to apply BM.but in the end, i am hot and sweaty and baby is hot and sticky.
Now i try olive oil and baby johnson lotion.

Re: wind in tummy
my baby also have a lot of wind. everytime can see him wriggle his own body to get the wind out.

Re: latching on
discovered today that baby's suckle seems to have improved compared to his early days.
Last time, he cannot empty my boob cos after BF ican still express out some BM.
Today, totally emptied out.

lonerunner.. i think my fren is waiting for delivery bah.. i only keep laughing when i heard what her husband did. My hubby also said he wanna try too! hehe.. anyway its use all u can right?
So envious of all the mommies who have popped..
happy.gif

Thanks jo.

Yeah, today latch on for 30mins.. but my skin cracked again on one breast.. sigh, duno why skin so delicate keep cracking.. going pump later hope can stimulate..

yah, i very sticky n oily, my dandruff form into a lump, can just pick the lump of dandruff and put on table.. kaoz, so big size lor.. really cant take it, back got pimples and seems like got rashes.. so i bathe la, under super hot water, so shiok

aiyo, so envious of all mummies who have popped. I can't wait to pop leh. Pple keep on asking when im popping..faint..

Faith, I went walking today too but only for half for an hour...keke.. how long do u walk? Did you try climbing stairs too?

Hmm, wat is VE? painful?

Whitegalz, think feb is the hottest month of year...must bathe la...

Hi all, this is my very 1st post in the forum.

I just gave birth to my boy on 2nd Feb in East Shore Hospital. Hes 4kg and 52cm long. I went for C section on the delivery.

Although the pain after opertaion in hospital is almost unbearable to me, I still think the days there are the best! The food taste better, air conditioned area and I can use the water as much as I wished.

Now I am stuck at home.. Stinky and smelly. I suspect I am getting post natal blues. I doesnt feel like carrying my baby because I am so sticky and I dun wan to dirty my child. I wanted to breastfeed so much but I really cannot tahan the stickiness. Life is so miserable at home as my MIL keeps a really close eye on my every action...

Although I know she meant me well but I think its a little overboard... Even the water I used to wash my face and brush my teeth required to be boiled in advance. I never realised that water can be so precious in my life!

On 9th Feb, I am required to go back to my Gyn to remove the stiches. I bargained with her and insist I need a bath before I step out of the house. She finally gave in and took out the herbs which her friend bought. It is a product from JB and the outlook is like a big tea bag. There are instructions written behind the box and it clearly stated that 1 pack to be mixed with 18 litres of water. I almost went crazy when she mixed the whole packet with only 2 basins of water (4-5litres). And the colour of the water looks no different from herbal tea! The temperature of the water scalds!

And I dun have a very supporting husband at this period. He thinks we have to believe old people's words... And insist that they are all good for me...

Believe it or not, I am crying when typing this... Are they really good for me? When I start to cope in room just to avoid conflicts with MIL? When I want to bf my boy so much but yet I dun want to dirty him? When I have to pump out the BM with the machine and my my nipple cracked and bleed? When MIL gets to play with him almost whole day and I never carry him more than 3 times a day? When now I am almost reaching a state of post natal blues?

How to express to her that times are really different for people today? How to let all these out without ruining our relationship? She always chant that a good confinement will enhance my heatlth is late years and boast on how well she did her confinement in the past. Its only been 8 days since my boy reached the earth and she had chinese medical stickers all over her body. What a laughing stock!

confinement days sounds hectic.. smelly.. frustration when no breast milk.. fearful of babies crying..
sad.gif

no wonder mamas are all very 'wei da'.. i am getting a bit fearful of popping and the days ahead.

Hey Samantha, i'm from March thread & was just reading through some of the posts here when i saw your post. My heart goes out to you but i don't think u're going through post-natal blues. Instinctively u still wish to carry your child to breastfeed him so u're probably just stressed about ur MIL situation for now. Since hubby believes being old-fashioned is good, the only thing is to point out to him why it is not good. E.g. hygiene purpose for breastfeeding etc. For MIL, how about doing things out of her sight? surely she'll have pockets of time when she's occupied w baby & u can then do whatever u wish behind her
happy.gif
what she doesn't know wont hurt
happy.gif
alternatively, "visiting the gynae' more often is good, then u can be out of the house without her
happy.gif

dear samantha.. don be sad and angry.. yes ur MIL means well but may not be of ur liking..

Other than showering with herbs, u can wipe urself clean with a wet warm towel.. u can do this while in the toilet so ur MIL cannot see u.. ;p

u can also change clothes more frequently? Or on the air con but put to small fan n don blow directly on u? minimise heat ard u..

My MIL will definitely be on her way here prob everyday too and definitely poke into every of my biz.. but i will let her know when she goes overboard! I already have an agreement with hubby, he is suppose to 'block' his mother if she tries too hard..

I haben pop yet and can only read from the rest what goes on during their confinement.. everyone here is very encouraging, so i hope u come in here often and talk to us more..
happy.gif
it will help to reduce ur stress too..

Kwoli went to deliver today. She admitted at midnite this morning. Low amino fluid so gotta induce.

mummyo:
10kg double stroller!!! WOW!!! How u can manage to push it ah? u are quite strong leh!

PeachMomo
poor thing .... u really had a bad day hor?

mrslim:
Woww ........... bb very kuai hor?

mibebe:
CONGRATS!!

iceblue:
my gynae hinted my little one WONT be coming out anytime soon. In fact, he told me that he'll see me next Tue again. *faintz* So I'm starting my ML only next week, since that is the case. Also gotta bring my xrays films on the day of my delivery. Just in case my pelvis bones wont open, they can review and if need to, send me for c-section. (I'd got a factured pelvis bone some 3yrs back due to accident)

FaithOng:
Think you'll deliver by end of 42nd week. Good that you have 1cm dilation already
happy.gif

kkf:
I heard from my mum to apply Ru Yi oil on bb's tummy to get rid of wind. Bumping helps too.
Wow ... ur girl changes alot since the last photo rite? Dun be guilty ... you are doing ok!

ashleigh:
after I read your story, I also kept laughing non stop until stomach pain! hhaahaahahah! oh my goodness!! This is a really funny story! Even FOC also not try until like tat one mah!!! Laugh laugh laugh then zzzzzzz :p hehehehehe!!!

Samantha:
Congrats! Try talking to your MIL abt needing a little more water to do things. If it doesnt work, step into the bathroom, lock the door, and bathe with water from tap! ;) What can she do to you anyway once you're inside the bathroom and bathing away? ;)
Btw the herbal bag has to be mixed with boiled hot water. The water hasnt been cooled down sufficiently before giving it to you.
Do away with the belief that you're dirty and hence, setting a self imposed rule and preventing yourself from approaching your bb. In places like Africa where there are no clean water, mummies dun bathe everyday too! Even if they do bathe, it is often in muddy water. We are much luckier in Singapore. How smelly or stinky we are, it is definately still better than in other places. If the mummies there dun let this stop them from feeding or getting close to their babies, we shldnt too!
You are your boy's mum, and I believe as mummy, we have the right over our child. Chinese medical stickers are actually harmless although they looked funny being pasted all over on bb. You might want to speak to your MIL abt your view diplomatically.
Agree with starflow that stepping out of the hse is good for u
happy.gif

So cheer up ok? For the sake of your bb, you must not let yourself to be depressed. Anything just log into this forum. We'll support and cheer you up!
happy.gif

kkf
I totally understand how you feel. My #1 was the same. #2 I try to persevere and ended up breastfeeding for 6 months. Don't beat yourself up over it. A large percentage of women actually NEVER produces enough milk to satisfy baby. Most important is not to feel guilty about it if you decide to stop breastfeeding. Happy mummy is most important
happy.gif
Just don't be too stressed out ok!

lonerunner
hahahha. Actually is not that bad cos it's got really large wheels so actually much easier to push than those normal ones.

Strangely I'm more energetic now with the daily 'workout' and have never felt better.

Also still no signs of labour, even false one on my end. This baby might just hit 40 weeks. I just hope he won't get too big. Really gotta watch my diet now.

Any 'action' on your end? Are you still climbing stairs?

hi samantha
when i gave birth to my first baby, i was told to use only boiled water too. For bath, for washing face etc. I got so depressed cos of the electric n gas bill and all the restriction. I visited the gynae and asked him if these are necessary and he told myself n hubby these are the practises of the old China. Old China they use river water to bathe, so u need to boil all the water to prevent germs n bacteria. In singapore, this practise is not necessary. So are alot of other restrictions.

Seriously, during confinement, your wellbeing is more important than those restrictions. So what if u get good body but emotionally u are draining and leading to post natal depression. Will be good to ask your gynae to speak to your hubby about the hygience that u need to practise rather than following blindly the "customs".

mummyo and I and some others bath everyday in our previous pregnancy, and we are still healthy.

as for your baby, its kinda important for u to bond with him. So, seriously start thinking for yourself and try to talk to them about it. We ought to respect the elders but doesnt mean we ought to blindly follow what they say. Just like my mum who have gave birth to 3 of us, but yet in terms of bringing up a kid, i have to teach her wat to do and wat not to do. eg: putting porridge inside her mouth to cool it before spitting out for children.

mummyo
i also scare this baby will hit 40 weeks cos he is pretty big already.. so scare he will cross 4.5 kg which some of my friends said are very dangerous.

I hardly can do much walking since i am pretty scare water bag will break when i am shopping and no one to turn to. Home bound everyday very sian.. no sign of labour too although yesterday suffered abit of BH contraction and increase in muscus discharge but no blood.

i think my hubby also wait until sian, saying if this sat still no sign, he might just bring the hospital bag when we visit the gynae and ask if can induce. haha

hi all,

am getting v stressed up... tried to latch baby and pump, but not much milk and yet my breast is getting bigger and sore. Already massaged but dont seem to have much milk out... wat shld i do?

Also, my wounds are still sore n painful and piles too. I havent tried pooing yet too..

Yes i feel so sticky and oily n smelly... wonder how long i can tahan before taking first shower.

Baby was also crying a lot today and dunno wat's wrong! Stressssss!!

ginn
is your breast feeling hard? if it is hard, it will mean u do have milk inside the breast, but u just have to massage harder enough. use a warm towel to massage it and spot those harder lump n massage those lumps.

as for bathing, i think its your choice already. For me, i will choose to bath everyday but dry properly.

baby crying alot could be due to wind, try to put some ru yi oil and and massage his stomach area and see if he farts and feel better. U can even exercise his legs by doing the cycling in the air motion.. that helps him to pass motion or even to release stomach wind.

oh lonerunner, u also dun hav gd news ah, as in baby cm out early. gd next wk then tak ML dun waste it. me nw abit regret. s stil no symptoms lik tt. tdy told my mum abt me tak ML liao,n she 1s to cm over evryday lik tt. i say No!. wel my purpose is to rest more mah.

hi SY, Faith, for me i had the pill to induce at clinic, it's ard $187 for it.

Hi Yan, wow ur threshold of pain very good! When i was 4cm dilated, i was like kneeling on the floor while changing in the observatory room. Super pain! Lucky had the gas which helped....

hey thanks Joannelim, yeah breast is getting hard... ok will use hot towel to massage.

Yes have applied ru yi oil and baby finally sleeping. Baby pooed a lot today actually, worried...

Btw, anyone of u still have swollen feet? Dunno why swell again since yesterday?!! Sigh

Hi whitegalz,

Need to update on the date of induction, feb20 now

hi new mommies,

am on leave from next week ! .....end of next week .... is my date

iceblue
Mine same as urs. Ya i tink its the best choice since u r not going to use it for long. The medela is good
happy.gif

Faith,
Wah ur bb is going to be a big one too and uts going to be natural? Brave of u. I pray and hope that u will ve a smooth delivery soon ya. Dont forget to keep us update ya.. Meanwhile take care. I guess its coming nearer as contraction is there already
happy.gif

mummyo:
Me still walking and climbing ;) Unless my feet swells up. Then I'll take a break for the day from the stairs. But walking still continue lah, becos need to walk to office mah. Else I'll feel very weird not moving around ;) Strangely unlike LeMonT, exercise doesnt seemed to help me deliver early leh! hahaahahaa!

kwoli:
Oh ya hor! paisei paisei. Ei then whom was I msn with last nite/ this morning ah? Me getting blur liao! hahahahaaa ...!

iceblue:
my mother also wanted me to start ML early from tmw onwards. Then she wanted to come over to my hse to cook/take care of me. But I told my mum, if I do that, I think I'll be very bored at home, like in my 1st trimester. Might as well I make myself useful by going to office and helping to finish off some work before start ML next week. My collegue is very happy when he heard that I'll still be office until end of this week becos he is 'dying' under the workload already.
Haiz. I think we both really have to wait for our bb's arrival lor. Let's hope that they overrule our gynaes!!!

ginn:
My feet also still swelling. I give up hope on them already. Today ankles swelled horribly all of sudden. 2 out of 5 fingers on my right hand totally dun work today. Kept freezing in a hook position! So painful!

Ramy:
My EDD next Wed! Taking leave starting Monday. My immediate boss said I'm "niao" (stingy). Now govt gives 16 weeks ML but yet I'm still calculating each and everyday. Dun wan to start ML earlier. hahahahaa! I told him bb not due so early might as well I continue help u out lor! He duno wan to be happy abt it (becos this eases his workload) or wan to continue to "sour" me. hahahahaa!

Whitegalz
For me, i no pantang on tat. At the hospital, 2nd day already shower and even nurse ask u no pantang is it. I say no.. Even my 1st, i no pantang and up till now still ok. Don't know. Up to individual. I ve to massage and with all the herbs etc, i cant take it if i dont bath...

kkf
use baby oil to get rid of the wind. I dont know what is the name but u can go to SINSEH and say ur bb got wind and u want to buy the oitment. I tink its RU YI oil.. Got lemon pic. The bottle is inside the tin. Dont say like tat, last time, me too dont know anything but 2nd one used to it already and more experience. hope tis helps
happy.gif

lonerunner:
me prefer to hav own time for myslf. dun 1 my mum cm lor keke this is the last chance for us to hav real private time.

yeah! our baby jiayou!

catmomo
so fast hor ur baby umbilical cord dropped. i tink u really used the wiping medicine usefully. Ya lor, the clip is soo damn big.. I also scared will gurt my bb.. Last time my 1st one not that big. Dont know why they change to a big one now
happy.gif

Back