(2007/09) September 2007 MTBs

Girls,
So far Angel and Mummyfaith confirmed coming to my place on 1 Mar. Bubumama, I'm still waiting for your confirmation. Anyone else?

Otherwise, looks like we will have a mini gathering
happy.gif
We can have tea together and chit chat..

oops..i got the list..
but nt sure if its updated..

finally i have figure out how to use facebook but oni loggin..heehee..

nw trying to add everyone!

please add me, mummies!!

bena for mine the doc also say is called a water cyst shui liu in chinese... ya very stressed when I knew about it too... and start to think about the worst too... my hubby scolded me for being so persimistic haha

Hi ladies - sorry for the late replies, was without internet connection today, some problem with the router at home maybe.

JustMe: I'm heading back to work in July but for now, I'm home with my bb
happy.gif
I haven't started feeding my baby porridge just yet. Thought I might start that around 9 months or so. Will we need a slow cooker for porridge? Hmmm...I will read up abt this and may consider getting one, just so there is a dedicated cooking appliance for her food.

Playnest - My bb attends the Mandarin Playnest at JG, it's 3 times a week, 1.5 hrs each time. We go to JG because as far as I know, it's the only Mandarin-based programme in Singapore for bbs as young as her. The cost is $960 per term of 10 weeks which works out to $20 an hour. She started only recently when she turned 7 months old, but they accept bbs/toddlers from 6 mnths - 18 mnths. Very very good programme and the Chinese teacher, Chen Lao Shi, is hands-down the best instructor at any of the enrichment programmes we've attended - so enthusiastic, engaging and energetic!

BenMum: One of the July mums told me that we shouldn't start porridge until a little bit later. I think the problem with feeding 6 month old bbs porridge only (as some of the older generation used to do) is that bbs of that age need iron quickly as they have depleted their iron stores by then. Best way to get this is thru iron-fortified rice cereals or iron-rich foods (eg: certain vege purees). So I think if you can encourage your mum to do some of these, that'd be good. BTW, thanks for the tip re the dream feed - will give that a try!

Totoro: I haven't used any tin cereals just yet as they are not organic and HB and I are trying to go organic (as far as possible) for Ems' food for now until her digestive system matures a bit more. But one of the July Mums uses FrisoCream and says her bb loves it! The thing about rice cereal is that not all babies like it. I started with Healthy Times brown rice cereal and my bb didn't like it. Tried other organic brands (eg Heinz, Bellamys etc) but she didn't like them. Eventually, we found one cereal - the Healthy Times barley cereal which she loved and we're sticking to that, while trying to slowly get her to take some rice cereal as well. So you just gotta experiment with different brands and see which one suits your baby, I guess.

Fau: No problem! Wow, got file saved? Wah, I'm honoured
happy.gif

Dodo: I've seen the book at a few places, but I think I bght my copy from Borders. Have you tried Kinokuniya? You can call them up beforehand to check if they're carrying the title. Re large quantities - I usually buy the smallest quantity I can find. Taking carrots as an example, this works out to about 8-10 carrots in a pack? We then puree all the carrots and freeze the purees. Then we slowly work our way thru the cubes, defrosting one cube per meal or per two meals (bbs eat less when you first start). No wastage that way.

ecookie: Ziplock makes a certain kind of bag called "Freezer bags" - they come in the usual sizes (eg: sandwich, gallon etc). I used to think that any old Ziplock bag wld be fine but my HB tells me that we shld try to use freezer bags for this purpose. I'm not sure why tho. Let me ask him and let you know later.

Fitty Nut: You can definitely spoon the mixture in but we've found it easier to pipe the stuff in - somehow there's less wastage and you may find it more difficult to squeeze in a spoon into the small cubes. Depends on my mood lah, sometimes I just whack it in with a spoon, but HB is more fastidious!

Angel: Thanks for the tips! Great seeing you here! Will definitely try to gradually cut back on the dream feed.

Bena: Yah my whole day revolves around her. Thankfully she's starting to sleep more and more in the evenings so I hv a bit of time to myself.

Bena:

Woah!! How did u do it Mine simply refuse to take the bottle. He cries like nobody's business when he sees the bottle.. got to spoonfeed him..

Bena:

I got to start pumping to increase my supply for baby's cereal intake soon.
happy.gif
Sighs hates the hassle of using one..

Ecookie: According to my HB, freezer bags are specially designed to withstand the cold temp in our freezers. I don't know how true this is, but I thought I'd just let you know what he said
happy.gif

Hi all mummies,
i just had a super hard time with ryann... dunno wats wrong keep crying n dun wan to slp... i coax him to slp for almost 1 hr plus then he slp for 1 hr n woke up crying... ytd also like tat... by the time 12mn.. i haven even bath.. haven even pump milk... and i already spent 3 hrs just to pacify him... finally last resort... sarong...haiz... feeling depressed.... my stupid hubby is not doing any help ...

Btw, mummies who can donate milk... the baby is still in NUH neonatal intensive care unit... pls let me know if you r willing to donate ur EBM thks

Hi low,
Re night feeds, to give you some inspiration, I actually found it was quite easy to get rid of the middle of the night feed. I just gave Jade water when she woke up to try to extend the time she woke up later and later, and slowly reduce the amount of milk she takes at that feed. E.g. when she woke up at 4am, I'd settle her with some water instead of milk. That would make her last abt another hour or so, then when she'd wake up again at 5am, I'd only give her half of her usual milk feed. After a few days, she only woke up at 5am. Then I'd try to settle her back to sleep with water again. She would then wake up at 6am then I would give her 30ml so that she'd last till 7am. Eventually in less than 2 weeks she slept till 7am
happy.gif
The impt thing is to keep waking them up at 7am (or whatever time you start the day) and give them a full feed then. If you find they are not taking a full feed at the 7am feed, give them less to drink in the middle of the night so that they're really hungry at 7am. Eventually they will drop the middle of the night feed. Hope this helps!

Ben Mum,
Jade is also er-ni-ing sometimes after feeds...maybe like 1-2 times a day. Usually after a burp or if she's had too much to eat or too much handling. Checked with my PD and he says its normal for babies to bring up abit of milk till ard 1 year old.

Re whether to wake a baby up at 7am or not, for me, I go to sleep at 11pm, so I count backwards (she needs to have 5 feeds every 4 hourly) so she has to start her day at 7am in order for her last feed to be at 10pm. I wake Jade up at 7am every morning. Actually if I forget to wake up at 7am she will wake up herself on the dot! I feel its impt to establish a routine, and if I let her sleep till 8-9 plus, the rest of her feeds will be affected then her last feed will be past midnight then her sleep will be affected too.

Hi justme,
Haha Jade too...most of the time she's well behaved when we're out thankfully. But when she gets bored or uncomfortable, she'll scream and shout till so scary :/ Then I'll have to change the scene or distract her with a toy or a cup (she's obssessed with cups).

Hi fitty nut,
Ya quite troublesome to squeeze the puree from a bag. I just use a spoon and dunk the puree in each section...then gently knock the tray on the table so that the puree settles in and becomes leveled. Yes you have to add some water to the fruits/vege purees while blending, especially for veges like sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, its very thick and gooey so must add alot of water otherwise it will be difficult for baby to swallow. As they grow older and learn to swallow well, then don't need to add water. I use the water used to steam/boil the food so as not to waste the nutrients.

Blue,
Ya my nigra line is still there..lightened since delivery but still can see. The stretch marks also there! Don't like to look at my tummy!
sad.gif
Re pacifiers, I also have 6 to go round and they're ok so I don't intend to change till 6 months.

Hi doobom,
Re dreamfeeds, actually the reason why I am trying to cut the dreamfeed for my girl is because she's also taking a full feed of abt 150ml-180ml then, but the rest of the feeds in the day is like 90-120ml only. So must encourage her to eat more during the day instead and try to cut the dreamfeed down. Its recommended that the 10pm feed is the first feed that we should drop when baby goes from 5 feeds to 4 feeds and when they start solids they can last longer thru the night without a feed.

Bena,

Yes, very shiong, but every nite after I brought her back home, when I latch her and see her smiling at me, I'm more than willing to sacrifice my sleep to satisfy her needs! Haha, lots of complaints now and then but still can't bear to wean her off my breasts!

thanks pinkyj, angel, yolk sac for the sharing. sighs. so many decisions to make for our bb. really dunno if doing the rite thing for him or not.

ben is not taking solids yet, so i guess the 10.30pm feed is still a must. currently he is drinking about 5 feeds of of milk totalling 780ml everyday.

blueskye, ben has no problem with drinking when we push in the teat. he still just finish all his milk be it sleeping or awake. he doesnt know when he is full to reject milk. sighs. this aso gets me worried. very cham hor us mummies? drink aso pek chek, dun drink aso pek chek. LOL.

pinkyj, ur ger knows how to say no. my boi just drinks it up all! then he will vomit. ARGH! no sense of discipline where food is concerned. just like his father! lol.

bena, peapod and low, thanks for sharing abt the lumps things. I had few lumps removed b4 too and yes, it was vvv stress period then and my family has history of breast cancer too...so now, after those scary moments, i'm freaking out when i discover another lump. going to call for appt later and hopefully can have a scan soon. hubby is overseas now..so guess I'll need to be stronger.

although i'm sahm, still lazy to do teh ouree leh...so jis lak hor..telling myself must start doing the puree for nynke. So the most basic ones is the apple puree? can do pumpkin and peas puree too?

morning mommies! i thought it'd be fun to start off the day with this..

stuff Dahlia is obsessed about at this stage

- tissue boxes
- tissue packets
- grabbing the cup we drink from when we carry her
- peek-a-boo
- grabbing our hair
- grabbing our face
- pushing her body away with her arms when we carry her
- pushing our hands away when we hold her sides when standing her up
- Barney's Mr Sun song

share yours!

Hi Phoebe,

I'm an Oct mum and have pkts of frozen EBM (dated Jan/Feb 08). Do let me know if these can be of use to the baby you've mentioned. You may PM but i can only access my emails at night.

vone,
i got the first foods book from popular at bras basah, actually i went to popular at toa payoh and united square but was unavailable, the service counter at united square called bras basah for me and reserved it for me to pick it up.
happy.gif
guess its better to call first rather than do the runaround that i did.

Benmum: My girl takes at most 20-30ml of water. Some days she doesnt take any.

Bena: I missed the news report/

Anyone watched news last night on the milk bottles do share

hi mommies,
yesterday i went Parkway Parade, went to isetan to buy the ice cube trays that was recommended by yolk sac, not very expensive, it was $3.60 each. also bought a combi spoon and bowl from kiddy palace. the combi spoon comes with a case, which i think is good so the spoon will not be easily contaminated, then went to giant to buy frisocream rice cereal since my bb is taking friso milk as supplement, frisocream is $7 and is the most expensive rice cereal compare to nestle and heinze which is both less than $5. hope my prices are correct as i can recall, since the receipt is not with me now
happy.gif

anyway, now i have a combi spoon + pigeon spoon.

Thanks Deedy, yes she still need the EBM, will PM you. Thanks once again.

Ryann is interested in:
1) Vtech Toy: alphabet town
2) Bright Star toy wriggly Dragonfly
3) Leap Frog caterpillar
4) Sassy Books: rock a bye baby and itsy bitsy spider (new book =p)
5) GRab and pull my hair
6) hold his milk bottle himself
7) SCREAMING!!!
8) twinkle twinkle little star song and action
9) looking at himself in the mirror
10)looking at trees
11)turning his head left and right when carrying him upright
12)singing to himself
13)calling ah bu, ah pa, ah ma, ah pek, ah Mm (baby talk)
14)watch tv which i cant seems to be able to stop him
15)fliping

Angel, Yolksac,
Reading what you both did for giving your babes solids makes me feel very tired leh.. it's really alot of work!

Yolksac, you mentioned you wanted to give your Em a feed at 10pm. How abt latching her on instead of EBM? I'm sure she won't reject your breasts? Only flaw is that it might develop a habit of comfort sucking ..

Blue,Angel
My niagra line and stretchmarks are also still there. Both have faded though. Actually I didn't really pay much attention to my ugly tummy.. it's so much a part of me already..

Tequilapop,
I totally understand what you mean when you say you can't bear to wean baby off. I feel the same way too. Sometimes I wonder who needs who more when it comes to breastfeeding hahaha.. I think it'll be less painful if the weaning is initiated by baby..

Amy,
Hope everything is fine after the checkup (and I think it'll be!). I also have a family history of cancer so I know how that feels. And I feel like you too with regards to preparing food for Zac. I've never been domesticated and all these blending and pureeing sounds very tough to me.. can't imagine the feeding part also. When I was pumping for Zac many months back, I already felt that the pumping, washing and sterilising are very troublesome. Can't imagine the work needed to prepare purees! But I think porridge will be easier though. Just dump everything into a slow cooker and meal is ready after a few hours
happy.gif

Vone, actually, because Zac is munching everything he can get his hands on, I gave him the nuk pacifier, which is supposed to be closest match to the breast. Surprisingly, he started sucking on it after much persuasion. Then I fed him formula from nuk bottle (waited till he's very hungry), and he drank fm from it! After that I slowly introduced ebm in the bottle and he drank it! Best part is I was the one who fed him, and it's totally not like what the books say abt mummy having to stay away while giving baby bottle so as to avoid baby from smelling mummy's breasts and rejecting the bottle!

madlynette: haha, how many trays did you buy? I showed up there at about 9pm and there were only three left (I was wondering which mummy had beat me to it
happy.gif
). anyway, I bought them all - so anyone else thinking of trying Parkway Parade, please try the Scotts one instead!
happy.gif

madlynette: haha, how many trays did you buy? I showed up there at about 9pm and there were only three left (I was wondering which mummy had beat me to it
happy.gif
). anyway, I bought them all - so anyone else thinking of trying Parkway Parade, please try the Scotts one instead!
happy.gif

vone I got my first book from times at marina sq.. have 10% dis if u pay by UOB ladies card.. not sure if the dis still on
happy.gif

angel, thanks to the inputs about night feeds
happy.gif

can i check with mummies if u all buy a hand held blender or food processer to blend the puree u made? Where to get it and which one is recommended?
happy.gif
Thanks for your help!
happy.gif

yolk sac,
haha i beat you to it, i was there at about 8pm. but i only bought 2! was wondering how many i would need, so probably start with 2 trays first. how many are you using now?
happy.gif

Angel,
Thanks for sharing how you distract Jade when she decided to test your patience!

Bena,
Wah with zac drinking from bottle, it will be convenient for you eh? =)

Yolksac,
Thanks for sharing info on playnest!.. I am looking around for play groups to see which one to enrol sarah in.

RE: slow cooker,
I think I may invest in one. =)

Currently, Sarah is obsessed with these:

Generally anything brightly coloured, books, toys, even the bedsheet...But she love red the most!
apart from that...

- papers
- laptop
- keyboard
- remote control
- her feet
- her teether

oh she also loves to daydream when I leave her to flip around in our bed (with me nearby to ensure she didn't somersault down). Will startle when I called out her name..haha...

re: stretchmark, dark nigra line

Yup... still there.. I used to be very bothered by it.. but now, don't care anymore. Cos, everytime I noticed it, it just reminds me that my "beauty is taken off me to produce this beautiful baby girl!" haha..

Morning mummies!

Thanks Yolksac and Angel for the tips!

Do you wait till the puree cools down in the cube tray b4 storing in the freezer? If yes, those which oxidizes easily like apple and banana, how do you cool it in the open?

Also, to prepare apple puree, what will be a gd way to do? Like....steam whole, then peel and cut?

Think saw somewhere in the forum "Cut quarter, steam then peel skin" Err, what's the logic behind huh? Cos when the apple is so hot, how to peel and minimize oxidation at the same time?

re: need feeding tips
My bb coming to 5mths. Just tried heinz cereal 2days ago.

Initially tried to pull out the spoon asap so he won't play and lick the spoon. But next moment you see the food oozing out.

Then I tried putting the spoon longer in his mouth so he can suck, lick abit and hopefully take his time to swallow.

The challenge is he tends to lick anything that goes near his mouth. Same goes to my spoon even when the food is already in his mouth. This causes further salivation and drools out together with the food. *faint* super messy
kao_dizzy.gif

Mummies, can share your secrets?

Thanks!!

madlynette + yolk sac: u guys clear out the ice cube trays lol! good thing im planning to buy once when my boy turns 5 mths (which is still a good mth away) heh.

blue: my nigra line n stretchmarks still there, though fading... tummy quite ugly!! cant wear bikini liaoo.. ha

re baby feeds:
my boy is still on 6 feeds a day! but he just turns 4 mths so i guess no rush to change it to a 5 feeds yet, right?

bena: so funny to learn that zac is sucking on his toes!! mine only start to "discover" his feet recently..

my boi is doing all these nowadays
1. stuffing his fingers and hands (if possible!) into his mouth then er-ni-ing cos stuff too deep in! *rolls eyes* oh, and he will 'talk and talk' with his hands in his mouth too! LOL
2. ceiling fan or musical mobile turning and turning
3. someone cleaning the house / doing work / talking on the phone
4. turning his head left and right while being carried
5. pulling his milk bottle away tho he is furiously sucking on it
6. pulling his bib away when wearing one
7. lifting up his legs when on the bed and dropping them from a height *always wake me up at night with this sound!*
8. peeing after his nappy has just been changed

can check with mummies here, do any of u still insist on putting bb to sleep on different sides of the head? that is, 1 time sleep on left cheek, next time sleep on right cheek, 3rd time sleep on back to ensure heads are round? by now, are their skulls hard enough? everynight i put him to his side, he will turn and face upwards! tired of flipping him liao. any advice?

ben mum,
my bb also like to face upwards when sleeping.

wah didnt know can order first foods book online! got discount some more! cheaper and more convenient. i almost had to go around the whole spore to get it!
kao_angry.gif

madlynette, do u try to put her on her front for afternoon naps? i tried...he sleeps better but he doesnt like to sleep facedown leh....sighs...always kena awakened so easily.

Ben Mum,
My boy flips himself left right centre when asleep.. cannot control at all. How come yours so kwai let you flip him abt??

ben mum: i can totally understand pt 7!!
my boy will always lift his legs up very high then drop it.. causing me to wake up in the middle of the night (his cot just next to my side of the bed).. and when i check, he s still fast asleep! *grr*, he got his beauty sleep but disturbs mummy's one.. naughty boy!

ben mum: i always put my boy to sleep on hisleft side cos during 1st mth, didnt know abt switching sides so he slept on his right side of the head for whole mth!! then right side flat like dunknow what.. PD asked us to put him to sleep on his left side from 2nd mth onwards..and till now (2 mths later) situation got improve but still abit flat in comparison to the left side..
so will continue to do so puttin him sleep on his left..

we used the 2 bolsters attached together kind to hold him in place when he sleeps at night..
but soemtimes, still realise he twist n turn till facing upwards.. but so long not sleeping on the flat right side,still okie bah..

for naps, never really bother cos he sleeps not for long also,. will just prop a pillow underneath his right side to make him turn to his left once he s deep asleep during nap times

bena, i will flip him and put him on his side. i even use a thick pillow to block him from turning on his back. after 10 minutes, he will still be able to move and sleep on his back! then i will flip him again (if i am awake). this will last for another 10 minutes! LOL. so now asking, is there a need to keep flipping them. I tired leh...lol. so bena, zac is just sleeping all over the place? lol.

ecookie, i see. so now u still letting him sleep on his side.

re: causing a stir while asleep.
Because sarah is still latching on all the time, she'll automatically look for my breasts when she stirs every now and then at night. She'll roll to one side and then feel for my skin then with eyes closed, pursed her lips and open them apart to grasps in my nipple. If she can't find it, she'll keep on hitting and kicking my body (still co-sleeping). Haha, once, she licked my hubby cos, she turned the on the wrong side...

haha.. i realised... 4 more days sarah hits 6 months liao! woo hoo!

oh... i weighed her yesterday.. she's only 7.7 kg and height is 67 cm... looks chubby enough... but her weight seems to plateaud...

Ben Mum,
So your boy is not so kwai afterall .. *chuckle*.
Maybe if you dun restrict him he'll flip left right centre like Zac?

Justme.. gee so small know how to look sexy and purse her lips already ah.. hahaha..so funny.. poor hubby. Hope she didn't latch on the wrong nipples.. hahaha

i leave my boy alone, let him turn whichever side he likes though he is more inclined to left side, makes me wonder if he will likely be a leftie? Somehow my boy will moved upwards when asleep at night, so farnie. Wonder how he manage to wiggle upwards when asleep.

benmum, i think their skull should be more or less fixed alr.... cos now they will twist and turn themselves during sleep, unlike when they were newborns, we can manipulate them easily.... my gal also kick legs and wave her arms in the mid of the nite.... usually this is a signal that she wants her milk. If i ignore her signal (sometimes too tired, tot she can go back to sleep) she will flip herself up and then cry.... so no choice have to latch her.
My gal also put almost anything that she can get hold of into her mouth. Even her feet is with socks on, she will also put into her mouth.... she is super active, as she has master the skill of crawling, whenever shes on lying position, she will flip herself up and get up on her fours, then start to move around in search of her 'teether'. Shes now trying to master the art of sitting.... its fun to see her learning and mastering the basic skills, but also very siong...

Fau, hows your gal? Has she recover from flu and cough? My gal is still having slight cough.

phoebe, last friday my gal also like ryann cry like nobody biz, no matter how also cant comfort. It may be due to colic, cos I brought my gal to GP, cos we thought its due to the rice cereal (as we just started last week) or the change to stage 2 milk powder. he said it might be due to the intro of new food and also might be colic, so he prescribed colic drops and we gave it her.... sat nite she sleep thru nicely. You may want to take note of this.

Back