(2006/06) June 2006 MTB


<font face="tahoma">
RE : Playclub

ladies,
you mean our kids can join the playclub already? i still havent hear from JG, still on waitlist
sad.gif
</font>
 
poohy, sunflower,
I am thinking of trying my luck later for playclub. Cos the timing for playnest are no good for me, and I cannot stress out too much now. Very hectic to rush here and there. A's development is also on par with his classmate who is going to playclub next term.


sunflower,
Okie... later will check with gynae. hahaha... DHA and EPA also oil leh... I am still giving A indinine for the plant based DHA. So far no oil... kekeke... I am still thinking of the DHA and EPA from my gynae for A. It's much cheaper. kekeke... I just started taking it now. Not that I dun trust my gynae but I need more time to find out more though :p
 
sunflower,

ya lor... the problem with all these music classes is they are quite inflexible and have very rigid timing. I mean the whole of coming term, seems like only got the 10:30 sat class for the bb suzuki for 2.5 years onward toddlers. Even if I wanna send him to music appreciation, the timing are in the 4:30 pm region... etc. very inconvenient and mostly only 1 class kind. The rest of the suzuki violin class needs to wait till 3 years old then can start... they are quite strict abt that... so bo bian. When I see S playing with his violin everyday, I get worried... cos I fear he will have the wrong grasp and stance and later very difficult to correct...
 
mspiggy - re playclub waitlist - they will give priority to existing students, so we will get our confirmation of preferences first. then, they will open to public. they will only do so before the start of the term.
 
mspiggy,

don't think so le.. our age-group they will still put under playclub.

toto,

not too sure of club's format, maybe poohy can advise then we do a comparison between nest & club.
class layout, only know that club does not have the foam mat, tables & chairs are higher for toddlers. story - maybe got act out? cos at times I see the teachers run in and out with costumes.. keke

lyn,

thanks
happy.gif
keke yalor both also oil.. haha..
 
<font face="tahoma">
poohy,
what's the min age for most music classes? Wes seems interested in music even when he's much younger.

toto,
i see. thanks for the info.
</font>
 
toto,

i can only compare playnest and billingual playclub... cos S only attends the billingual one.

The billingual playclub is 2 hours with 1 hour for english and maindarin each. There is more time spent on art and craft work compared to playnest. The maindarin teachers always act out the story of the day. Other than that, not much diff leh. Of course, the kids in playclub are more responsive since they are now able to talk and finger play with the teachers...

Class format is...

Each week, they alternate between starting with the english teachers or the maindarin teachers.

1. free play of puzzles, figurines, mega blocks (20-30min)
2. circle time to sing nursery rhymes and finger play
3. story telling time (for maindarin they will act out. If its english class first, then at times they will do story telling from the big story book but that's not done for every single class)
4. art and craft (half the class will do art n craft while the other half play with some puzzles and blocks like the free play waiting for their turn)
5. snack
6. turn over to either english or maindarin.
7. if english, then it will be magic box time and prob introduce a phonic sound or a colour
8. free play in the indoor "garden"
9. 2 classes of 10 kids will combine together to have a big singing session... end off with the goodbye song.
 
toto,
club and nest have different toys. That's the main difference I noticed. A loves to go into the studio for playclub everytime he goes for lesson.
 
<font face="tahoma">
sunflower,
no worries. was thinking you must have typed wrongly... hehehehe....
happy.gif
</font>
 
poohy - so bilingual playclub usu schedule is like playnest?

playnest format
free play
story telling
magic box
snacks
outdoor free play
music time.

Bi playclub format? (i guess. :p)
free play
story telling
art & craft
snacks
Chinese story telling
outdoor free play
music time.

Is there a theme each week or one "letter" in focus each week?
 
poohy,
Do you wanna consider VCDs for S to watch? There's a series of Suzuki violin VCDs to teach kids to learn violin. I havent open them to watch though cos I bought the advanced ones instead of the basic ones. I read from the introduction that the first VCD is about teaching how to hold the violin properly. Another option to consider
happy.gif
hee.. when I am ready, I might chose that option for A, cos cannot find music classes for him now. I read from Shichida's book that 18 -24 months onwards is the musical talent and language talent period of their life.
 
sunflower,

I dun wanna consider private tutor yet cos I feel that peer influence is also v important at this age... so I hope S will be in a class instead. I learnt music from young and I think I enjoyed my group class more leh. Individual class v stressful.. hehee the teacher is hawking at us throughout lah.

mspiggy,

musical instrument class start at 2.5 years old earliest. And that is specifically for 1 particular bb suzuki violin class offered by Mandeville under Ms Yap Su Mei. The rest of the bb suzuki class starts either at 3 or 3.5 years old. Music appreciation class offered in seimpi, mandeville can start 2 years old i think.

Musical instruments starts later as it requires a lot of hard work, rigour and discipline... imagine expecting that of a child below 2 year old... vomit blood
happy.gif
 
spicegal,

you are welcome abt the dvd. Hope you will get it soon, and J will like it. Xin En doesnt really like the DVDs I got her, but she likes this one cos she likes to watch other bb and toddler. Give the shop a call if they dont call you. The bedok outlet also didnt call me, so I went down to ask.

poohy,
I put xin en on playclub waitlist some months ago, now want to let her go JG playnest but didnt know weekday class also so easily filled up.

Thanks for the feedback on AD. Im so waiting for them to contact me if theres a vacancy on weekend morning or late afternoon.

If only can go playclub now instead of playnest. Actually, I much prefer to let Xin En goes once a week cos worried its too taxing for both of us.
 
lyn,

u can try to ask whether can go to playclub..but as what sunflower comments, is either at least 17 mths at start of term or as per recommendation by teacher.

Actually i talked to Lin before, she recommended AnB to continue with playnest although they can go to playclub this coming term. This is to continue to build up their confidence as they will be big brothers, rather than go to playclub, like to restart over again, since they are the youngest there...

this is my understanding... so i continue them with playnest...
 
mtdt,

the format is about the same. But in billingual playclub, the english class dun have story telling every week ... adhoc kind. And in the english billingual class, in S's 3rd term, they had introduced 3-letter phonics blending but that is also adhoc kind. There is a theme which is used throughout the class for both english and maindarin. Like if the theme is purple, they will all do things revolving around that theme. The maindarin teacher goes around with a word card of the character purple to show each child. Sometimes they encourage each child to say it with them and maybe use fingers to trace the word.

lyn,

where can I buy the series of VCD? I will be very interested... I had been trying to search for them actually.
 
<font face="tahoma">
poohy,
thanks alot! but am thinking of introducing piano instead of volin. do you have any info for piano?

yeah can understand the stress to ask a 2YO to handle muscial instruments</font>
 
Sunflower,
check with you, when you attend the JTW playgroup trial, whats the difference between it and the JG playnest? Was the trial conducted by a male teacher? Im bringing Xin En for a trial to JWT next week, not able to get a trial class at JG yet, so I decided to try out JWT first. I found out that the teacher conducting at JWT was previously with JG for many years.
 
mspiggy,

Mandeville and MAC's music appreciation does introduce the keyboard. Not specifically piano. They introduces other instruments from percussion mainly but keyboard is used to teach pitch and some musical concept i think. If you want formal piano group class, it will be at least 3.5 years old i think. I also want S & J to learn piano. Now, I will sit them on my lap and play the piano with them hehee.. I am not good cos I learn the electone from young, not piano, but can teach them simple stuff or to listen to music from the piano.
 
kissbb - me too, i din want to rush to place J in playclub. he is now very well settled in nest. however, sometimes, i see him walking around the class, not interested in the music at the end. this was not the case at the start of the term. think he is bored of the class now.
 
<font face="tahoma">
poohy,
i see. i've learnt piano and a percussionist since pri sch days but i dont have the patience to teach so now i only let wes sit on my lap and he "" piano. my sis is a better teacher.

but i still prefer him to learn thru sch... more discipline in the sense. guess gotta wait or maybe send him to music appreciation classes first. </font>
 
mtdt, tell us more about mini movers leh... what did they, wat songs sang? got sing the lion sleeps tonight? how was the closing? same teacher?
 
i also learn piano since young... but din hv a good feel of it. infact i cant wait to stop it! hahaha :p


now i also let zavier just hit the piano. :p
no plans on starting any formal music lessons for him yet. :p
 
mspiggy,

so coincidental.. I join the military band too... played the western flute. Cant teach my kids that cos woodwind instruments are difficult to learn at this age. But keyboard is great for them i think.
happy.gif
agree that discipline is v important in learning instrument.
 
toto,

i have comment from other mummies that went to playclub last term that the playclub is very different and the child is still learning how to adjust to it...
 
mich - go read my blog. :p

songs sang - huh.. this cant rem much. :p
same teacher... closing - v sudden. i din even noe it ended. :p
 
happymum,

felt JG more structure and contents wise better. When I was at JWT, tot its more like PLAYgathering which I felt can do by gathering the june babies together and some mummies lead in singing songs..
but then, its was a trial class, so that may not be their actual & final class structure. cos from brochure they mention there will be story telling, puppet shows, art & craft.. so I form the idea that its the same format as JG but turned out different. The teacher explained that they will rotate the activities. They were gathering feedback at the end of trial.
In JG, story telling is fixed. Activity - puppet shows, art & craft, senses play, music play = this will rotate.
 
kissbb,
Oh I see... But the timing for me for playnest not very good. Too hectic... else gonna stop JG altogather
sad.gif



poohy,
I bought from MAhayuyi at Bras Basah 3rd floor. There are total of 8 VCDs. 4 in each pack. Must see properly, dun like me.. buy the advanced ones... kekeke...
 
<font face="tahoma">
poohy,
flute is a beautiful instrument! i always envy those who can play flute!
happy.gif


was in concert band since P3 then sec 1 was in military band, but we changed instructor and also changed to concert band. no more marching *phew*

i continued even after i went poly but stopped after i went uni. shd have continued.

those were the good old days. kinda of missed them now.</font>
 
kissbb - agree, when there is a change in env, it'll take a while to adjust. when J started nest, he took a week to adjust.
happy.gif


welcome cutiezayn - have fun chatting with us.
 
Hi All,

I am mother of 2. My gal Zayn was 3yrs5mths now and I am a woking mother. Till date I have not send Zach to any trial class, I am too lazy after the 2nd one. My gal got the chance to attend most of the trial classes..so unfair rite.Will post their photos later..
 
aiyo... lyn for u now... everywhere shd be cab liao lah... so evans might be ok.
happy.gif


how to lug A and a tummy ard with bus/mrt :p
 
cutiezayn - ooh i see.
so u shd be the most experienced one for us already.

tinkerbell - how old is Aaron? :p

your gal - so is she in playgroup or CC?
no2 - sigh, i always hear such things... no2 always get shortchange huh.

in a way, give me 2nd tots abt no2 early. haha
tot wait for zav to be able to go for independent class, then i hv time to go with no2. also becos i love zav too much now to share my love with no2. :p
 
MTDT,
Aaron is coming to 5 yrs old soon.

Hi Cutiezayn,
Welcome to this thread
happy.gif
I also have 2 kids - older boy Aaron who is coming to 5 soon and gal, Fiona born 15 June
happy.gif
 
cutiezayn,

welcome. Me too... 2 kids. My elder boy is going to be 2.5 years old end of this month. My girl is older than your Zach... she is born 22 May though the EDD was supposed to be 16 Jun ... that's why I am in this thread
happy.gif


same here, my J goes for lesser trial compared to my S. Time is a constraint but also becos I had better experience and can judge what type of classes are more suitable or relevant for her than when it was with my first.
 

poohy, how are J and S? hope they are feeling better now.

tinklebell, have you shifted to your new place?
happy.gif
are the kids enjoying their rooms?
 

Back
Top