(2006/06) June 2006 MTB

Duff,
SBB = Schoolhouse by the bay.. @ Katong Community Club @ Kampong Arang (Near Fort Road)..

MTDT,
Please do take a look at SBB.. but if u fall in love with SBB.. dun blame me hor... i kpo chit chat with some mummies there who had placed their kids in SBB for 1 mth or lesser, they say SBB is very generous with TOYS... and very playbase... ask me dun expect too academic thingy frm them.. but tot that should be the way.. let them enjoy and play at their age.. keke
 


haha.. pawprint.. is it??
as usual lah.. i forever blur one lor! so is it good or not?

celeste,
thanks! but alamak to far for me lah.. haha
 
PP - of cos I rem centrestage!!!
happy.gif


Celest - hahaha ok.
maybe i only go in may - then i shun bian beo ur chelsia!! hehe
 
Hi mummies, hv been busy this week. My customer in town so no time to chat here.

Toto & lyn, pls takecare and hope the op will be fine.

Spice, r u going to order the Dora cake from ecreative ? Is very nice I just try it yesterday for my Ah girl birthday

Paula, can see that Kell really enjoy herself in school. Beautiful pictures...
 
Naomi,
I’m taking leave on 9 and 16 May because of grandma’s anniversary and kell’s school closure respectively. Would you be in town to meet up? Arrange some trial with Act 3? As in, I arrange lah… For 9 May, will only be available after 2pm…

Re: Arts Class with Gymboree
BTW, anyone attended the arts class with Gymboree before?
 
Sunflower, Wen,
Do you know of any good books in the area of children or memory development? I would like to read up more in this aspect. Kell has been doing some stuffs lately such as identifying objects that belong to a complex puzzle; we brought her this box of animals puzzles whereby each animal is made up of six pieces of puzzles. When she saw a black color circle that dropped on the floor, she would bring it up to me and says ‘this panda’. So I tried experimenting by showing her the smallest puzzles and she has been spot on. This evening, when I played with her the ‘who knows whose nose’ game, I show her the different noses (without the cards), and she got all right and best part is that she is able to link up with the zoo phonics rhyme like when she piece the nose on alligator, she will says allie alligator a a a’. So far, she has also been able to identify tunes (without lyrics)of nursery rhymes. Both hubby and I are amazed but yet at the same time, maybe this is a common phrase for all children but if it is something special, then I really want to nurture her…Any advices for me? Cos both of you read alots in the area of parenting.
 
pawprint
really funny the way u describe Irvin's flooding of the floor...keke u should hv videoed it, did u? hahaha

how's ur homebased playgroup getting on? share share wat u all do during these sessions? lots of prep work or not b4 each session?

paula
wow, from the way u describe, Kelly is really v gifted in this aspect leh. Dun think it's a normal phase that tots her age go thru...N definitely can't do all that. Can understand why u wanna read up on it more cos it's nice to know u can help her develop her potential to its max.

u r still scouting for K's art classes? i thot the one at Turf City is more impressive & professional than Gymboree leh...why dun u try that out?
 
Cheri,
I really dunno cos being a first time mum, really suaku on what is the norm and what are the exceptional. Yea, still sourcing for art classes … have you went for trial with Artsbootcamp? If I remember correctly, they only offer classes during weekdays rite?
 
paula
no, i din go for their trial cos i've no intention for art class for her till older. Think art sessions at JG & later cc should be enough for her...plus i do let her do some art work at home too.

only on weekdays? i'm not too sure.
 
cheri,
am quite happy with the PG. But honestly, not sustainable... once the kids start going Kindy at 2yr or 30mths, it'd be gone.

just had 3rd session of PG today. 4 kids, each mum handles a segment. Eg. I do English, another mum does Yoga, another Mandarin, and the 4th mum does Craft. Some "overlap" too, eg. today Mandarin included some colouring activity. While today Snacks included some food flashcards (Apple, Bread, Cake- cos covered ABC haha), with the related snacks.

I take less than 10min to prepare materials, meaning I search in my current resources. Eg. Any items relating to "C" eg. Cow figurine etc, to fill up Magic Box. Select from my existing flashcards eg. Word cards, picture cards, speedreading materials, zoophonics cards, even Montessori-style relief cards. Select from my storybooks to read/ sing.
So far no need to actually do anything from scratch!
happy.gif
Which is lesser time compared to commuting. Very grateful that the other mums come to me lah. 1 from Central-North, 1 from Tamps, and 1 from Pasir Ris. I know 2 of them since I was preggie with #1, so there's some history with them too ;) .

We find the kids and mums can't tahan full 2hrs... usually FLAT in 1hr 45min. Eg. today we skipped last segment of craft cos too tired, just let the kids go check out my bedrooms, haha. Then the other mums can rush off to fetch their #1s. Hence such timing lor.

We play by ear, roughly 15min segments. Sometimes the kids are hungry earlier, then we'd have snack first
happy.gif
.
Eg. 2nd Session:
915AM. Freeplay! (by all). Put out themed toys.

930AM. Keep away and Intro! (by all/ M)
“Toys away" song, "Welcome Friends" song, "Biddledy Bumblebee" song, "How Are You?", Energyball.

945AM. Alphabet! (by M)
Alphabet Song. *flash lower-case alphabet*. Finger-trace “a” and “b”.
Zoophonics. *flash zoophonics set*. Repeat phonics sound for “a” and “b”.
Related “B’ Verses. “Baa Baa Black Sheep”, “Baby Bumblebee”, “The Busy Beehive”.
"Magic Box" song- *See with Eyes, Smell with Nose, Tap the Box and Call Come Out!*. Kids explore items within the Magic Box- all related to “B”: Baby (doll), Bowling Ball (toy), Ball, Bear, Bus, Block, Letter B.
List more on B: “Billy Bear is batting a bat!”, “bird”, “bee”, “balloon”, “book”, “button”, “bowl”, “banana”, “butterfly”, “box”.
Storybook. “This Little Pig”. Explain “Big”, “Little”.

10AM. Yoga! (by S)
*to tune of B-I-N-G-O* Move in circle, move left/ right legs.
*to tune of If You’re Happy* Cross legs, left-right brain criss-cross thing. Toes to nose.
Half-moon (stretch). etc.

1015AM. Snacktime! (by all). Reinforce “yes, more, please, water, bowl, spoon, cup”.

1030AM. Mandarin! (by K)
Storybook. “Xiao Ji Zhao Ma Ma”. Illustrated with egg (toy).
Shapes.

1045AM. Misc! (by M)
Flashcard Numbers “0-9″ in dots, numerals, Eng & Mandarin words. Finger-trace “O” and “1″.
Flashcard Colours and Actions in English and Mandarin.
Flashcard Sightwords. “we”, “both”, “go”, “buy”, “or”, “look”, “first”.
Picture Memory Sequence- 4 cards.
Speedreading. “Adam and the Alligator”, “Down in the Dark”.
Languages. “Sawako 1st Segment” in English and Japanese.
Eyetraining.

11AM. Craft/ Hands-on! (by R)
Playdoh.
 
Oh, but I realise I *shld not* revise the EXACT stuff done in PG. I did it like, thrice, over the week, and today Ahboy's eyes glazed over during PG. Cos sian liao, haha.

So mental note to cover slightly different topics during our own time.
happy.gif
But that would mean abit more effort still... quite hard to find time, even if can catch his mood during the week lor.
 
Cutiezayn, thanks for the feedback, like tat I confirm will order already. By the way, did you request ecreative to deliver at a specific time? Cos their pm delivery schedule is 1pm-4pm, I was thinking if I can ask them to deliver by 3pm so that Jerica can have cake cutting during their snack time.

Pawprint, your PG session sounds impressive, very professional.
 
SM Mummies

not sure if u gals noe this

http://www.learnage.com.tw/learning-en/product.jsp?id=114&&sort_id=5&&page=3
this is like the ESP game... can set a series, flash n ask tot to put the items at the correct space. can also use them as linking memory pcs.

http://www.learnage.com.tw/learning-en/product.jsp?id=124&&sort_id=5&&page=3
this is exactly like noddy funset... but much cheaper at only $20++

there are also similar to SM "nikki blocks" games at much cheaper price.

actually most of their stuff are "aid in memory" games. Paula - u also can look at getting these for Kelly.
happy.gif
most items are available at popular/harris
 
Good morning!

spicegal & mspiggy: Thanks. ER is fine. Did not notice new bumps on his face. He does not even rem he fell off the bed :p

toto & lyn: Hope your FIL & dad's sugergy go well if decided on it.

pp: Your PG sounds great! I can't come up with that kind of curriculum even if I have those materials lying somewhere in the house.

Paula: I think Kelly is doing great, esp linking things up! For ER, he'll be able to link similar pictures/things together. When I pointed the voilin next to the V alphabet, he rem that the Yanni VCD has voilin and will dig out the disc to play. For puzzles, he can do 3-6pc puzzles by himself. I've bot up to 9pc puzzles and he is ok with them with some pointers. I think their memory are amazing. There was once my dad told him will buy him badminton racket to play. He rem and reminded my dad the following weekend through actions! Like you, I don't know if this is normal. Apart from being a bit slower speech, I think he's doing fine in other areas.
 
Rodeo
HX fell off the bed on Mon as well. Cant imagine how she cld toss and turn on a queen sized bed and ended up falling from the bottom edge....she cried so loudly that we thot she had hurt herself badly....
 
Spice, for me i put a noted there to deliver between 2pm to 4pm. My girl snack time is 330pm, they send to the CC around 3pm. According to the lady, they will try their best to meet the timing that we request.
In the morning I have already informed the teacher in CC to receive on behalf.
 
Morning!

MTDT:
i have the memory board game at home. It comes with 2 boards and ask child to arrange. i wil sometimes do photomemory game with Chloe. The 2nd one i saw before too but didnt buy as dont really like it.
 
steffi: ER fell off the bottom edge too and I was sleeping next him. Same here, duno how he toss & turn until fall flat on the floor. I was sleeping halfway, then heard PIAK! followed by his cries and discovered he's not beside me.

MTDT: I have the memory board game at home but it's still unopened :p Bot it thru the BP you posted here the last time. The nikki blocks can get from popular?
 
Rodeo
Hubby and i were watching tv outside when she fell, so feeling sort of guilty that we werent ard.

We are now contemplating moving her to a toddler bed with all the guards..think they will have less space to toss and fall that way?
 
kite - wow, u also into SM one huh?
happy.gif


rodeo - i posted before meh? hahhaa
nikki blocks - similar concept lah... fix shapes into a space etc
happy.gif
 
steffi: I guess it'd reduce the risk of them falling. Toddler beds are lower so even if they fall, the impact is not tat great. If you hv the space, then it's prob the best option.

MTDT: Yes! you posted it prob few months back. Burnt a hole in my pocket as a result....haha...

Btw, Edventure having annual sale now so those interested can go take a look on their website.
 
MTDT: The BP closed long ago. Not sure if got similar ones ongoing now. That bp had puzzles + cut/paste activity books + Chinese books.
 
Cheri,
Thanks! I’ll probably call them up to check.

Rodeo,
Thanks! Kell has demonstrated the same set of skills with ER. Like in the morning, I told her that we will feed her with vitamin C when she is back home from school. She would request it when she is backing home. The scary thing is that she can only remember his daddy car! There was once when his daddy parked his car about two to three slots opposite mine, she shouted out ‘Daddy daddy!’ Is ER attending SM too? I really dunno how to proceed next. Should I send her to SM or Mindchamp because she has displayed this set of capability or should I just concentrate on her other strengths? Or should I just dismiss it because this is a common competency for all kids? So question, questions and more questions.
 
Paula: ER attended SM for 3 terms. He's stopped this term cos papa don't see how it's helping & SM is expensive. I'm looking for cheaper alt to SM....thinking of starting him on some music classes maybe in June, am considering Seimpi. You mentioned that KM is good rght?
 
Rodeo... KM is good.... Kelly n chelsia attending KM on every sunday now...

And can really tell they enjoy leh..
 
Rodeo,
Maybe the trait that ER is displaying is because of the SM lessons? Wen’s daughter is extremely bright too and I felt that could be because of SM too.

KM is good for music and movement. If you are really looking for more serious type of music appreciation program, then, semipi or Mandeville might be a good choice. We had a trial with Semipi but a few of us don’t think well … could be the instructor on that day. Maybe can check out Mandeville? That day, Kell found the violin in the ABC felt chart and she immediately put it to her neck and started to imitate the movements. And we never teach her loh.
 
<font face="tahoma"> Pauline,
I feel like sending Wes to SM too but recently heard alot of the new mgmt of the sch... seems like a lot of unhappiness and seems like most of the experienced seh seis had left!
sad.gif
</font>
 
Celeste,
Haha … distance is a problem lah. I know SBB is good and it will be interesting to observe their curricula. Don’t worry lah, Kell will join Chelsia in Kindy in LL but Kell will end up in their Bukit Timah campus instead! But will see lah, cos still have my own reservations on the time dedicated for English and Chinese teachings.
 
<font face="tahoma"> Pauline,
will you consider GD for Kelly?
I might go into GD, coz Wes is very vocal but he doesnt seem to read. Dont think he can recognise aphablets ... or maybe i didnt expose him to this area enough.</font>
 
Paula,
Kelly is very smart and developing very fast for her age! Wow! You have done a very good job in nurturing her. Keep it up!
happy.gif

I have neglected A for almost a month already
sad.gif
He got a friend 1 month older who can write already, but not him
sad.gif
It's my fault of not having enough time and energy in guiding him. I wish I am a superwoman...

For SM, overall aim is to have superb memory, and can pick up things fast and easy when they start school.

I feel that you should continue to nurture her strengths, whick I am sure you will
happy.gif
You are very dedicated and doing very well.

I will send A to Mindchamp too. Minimum age is 3 years old
happy.gif



celeste,
Hugs hugs...

Does SBB has nursery or kindergarten? How much?
 
Lyn..
SBB do have nursery n kinder..

18mths - 28mths = Toddlers = 2-5pm daily=$529.65
29mths - 4yrs = Playgroup = 2-5pm daily=$508.25
4yrs = Nursery = $642
5 / yrs = Kinder = $642

They do have Full day programme frm 4 yrs and its at $1123.30 after subsidy
 
Hi, just pop in. Saw my name..

Paula,
I am facing similar situation...don't really know if G is really that advanced. Think kids nowadays are generally more well prepared... Pulled her out of SM coz the mgmt is really lousy. And teacher quality drops. If the teacher is good, I don't mind. Then, sent her to the Bishan right brain school - all her classmates were new so the materials were easier to achieve - she lost interest. She only attends kidsloft now, twice a week.

GD is used as part of SM training. The local GD basically sells their kit and teach you to teach your kid. I think SM is more holistic, imo.

There are other options for Right brain but I havent try - Trio Centre and Igenius. Many SM teachers, I heard, cross over to these 2 schools, and Mindchamp too.

Btw, to me SM is a lot to do with "Mother is the best teacher" thing. And it is the bonding that counts. And mother knows best the stuff that interests your child and the state the child is in etc...And I think in that aspect, you excel it! Kudos to you!
 
lyn,

Janet Doman mentioned that the best age gap is ard 3-4 years. So that we can spent more time nurturing the child one at a time. Having more than 1 young kids of small age gap is a task for a superwoman too I guessed
happy.gif
Its really hard to work, and to nurture each and every child like we do with just one. Me too, very frequently think to myself how much more I could have done with S or J. But beyond all these, I think if we do our best, we give them a loving environment, its already a feat by itself. Its not easy to be a mother of 3.... you are already doing v well
happy.gif
 
Paula: I also duno if it's due to SM. So far, 3 terms 3 diff teachers. So far, the teachers were quite ok in the sense that proficient carrying out the curriculum, unlike what Joyful encountered. Till now, I don't know if it's a correct decision to pull him out of SM. That's y I tot of going for an alt after a break. His previous teacher is now with Trio Centre. Called to enquire but timing for his age group clashes with his lunch/nap so not sure if want to attend trial. I'd also like him to have some exposure to music as I know piano and recognises the power of music. But each week has only Sat &amp; Sun and I don't want to overload him/myself. Which seimpi branch did you go? For me, it'll be White Sands. Mandeville is too far for me :p
 
MTDT,

I've some sets. Saw the similar 'noddy' fun book set. thought same concept but not sure, so thanks for the confirmation
happy.gif

For the memory board, my boy fav is to poke all the pieces out from board. haha..


paula,

Kell is very good &amp; advance in her skills. I feel don't dismiss it, since she's demonstrating such traits, encourage &amp; expose her to more stuff. She's absorbing everything you are teaching her. For now, continue to expose her to puzzles, IQ games, matching, words recognition etc and she will continue to amaze you with her excellent output
happy.gif


Mindchamp starts from 3 years. You may wish to start with SM, the term just started, you can start enquiring and see if can join mid-term if not start next term.


re: Mandeville,
they have a baby music class starting 16 Aug Sat 2-2.45pm. For mummies interested, can start registering.
 
sunflower,

same lah... my S favourite activity is make a rojak out of the pieces for the memory board. Vomit blood.

re: mindchamps

what do they do? I heard a lot about them but never know exactly what they do there. I am looking for new brain training classes for S..

paula,

expose K to puzzles, IQ games, etc. May not be necessary to join the SM class though
happy.gif
 
sunflower - u going for mandeville too??
poohy leh?

it's either 16aug 2pm or 4th oct 5pm.
happy.gif


i cant decide yet as 2pm is nap time but 5pm like so late. ;p

I also beoing mindchamps... my fren went n say v v fun class.
happy.gif
settings same as SM, activities too... lacking are those "SM" stuff like ESP, speed reading, sawako etc.
 
Joy: Now then I rem, how/when did SM refund you the deposit with them? Just rem they have not refunded me anything yet!
 
MTDT,

saturday 2pm and 5pm both very out for me leh. I am looking for sunday classes actually. Cos nowadays, S&amp;J have not classes on saturday (finally!). I try to make all their classes on one day in the weekend only but v hard. I was hoping S&amp; J can both go to music appreciation at Mandeville then S go for his violin class there too... dun need to travel again
happy.gif
But that depends on whether I am continuing the edudrama class.

Looks like mindchamps seem fun. Think I will have to come out again on saturday liao then. cos sunday seem to be quite packed liao with edudrama and violin. My hb going to faint liao... cos I got a few things in mind for S &amp; J... chinese class at berries, music class, mindchamps or trio, phonics class for S at MMI, hope to add in piano class for S too. He had been pestering me to teach him piano.. but this mummy also half past 6... so I just try my best to teach only.

Cant imagine next year with no.3 ... I really got a headache how to go to so many classes and not feel exhausted. As it is, really feel so good to be able to laze around or do some shopping or errand on saturdays.
 
Paula
Just back and saw your post.
Ok, 9 and 16 May are good, lets do it. But must warn you I have some trips coming up in May, and the dates have not been fixed, but are dependent on hub's travel schedule, ie, he goes, the troops follow.

So play by ear, can can? But will luv for K and S to hang out, will be nice to see Ms Demure and Ms Acrobat pairing up and we relax, am sure they will hv lots to entertain each other with !
 


celeste,
Will you be continuing to nursery and kinder at SBB?


Wen,
From what I read from Shichida books, for advanced kids, gotta encourage them to revise and still concentrate
happy.gif
Else, it could be a problem when they start to attend normal school, and learning ability will go down. Dunno how true, but Shichida states that in one of his book.
What my friend do for his child is he encouraged his boy to "teach" other kids and help other kids in the things that he already know when he started nursery. I dunno the exact details how, but I know he does 5 minute suggestion very religiously.

SM includes diet too. So it's holistic. GD does not mention about diet. Both method states the importance of mother as the best teacher and the bonding with the children
happy.gif



poohy,
Tell you what.. I read about 3 years is the best age gap in "how smart is your baby" when I was already pregnant with the twins! No turning back lor... Before that, I was looking through the books to find out the best age group, but did not manage to find it. hahaha... Just take it as it comes now. I am hoping to keep A with me even my mum goes back to JB. Now, he will go to JB with my mum, cos I still cannot cope
sad.gif
It's kinda sad to me, cos I cannot do the flashcards with him and read to him. I guess sometimes I gotta let go a little...
Now thinking of A, think I miss him. Just now he came back before going off to JG. Today, he wants me to go with him
sad.gif
I wish I can...
I just digged out the solid shape cards for the gals. Just started for B today. To comfort myself a bit, I put the checker boards at their cot since they came back from hospital. I dunno whether to believe it or not, C eyes can follow my BIL head at one week old! B can follow my hand at 3 weeks old.

For mindchamps, you can call them for a preview. It's not something academic. More like brain, character and soft skills development.
 

Back
Top