(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hi Sherlyn,

Z attended the same pcf from N2. Recalled that we did not attend meet-the-parent session during his N2 days.

Hi Moo,

HA..abit similar for my B's PCF. However, last yr was the 1 yr they conduct.. hence they have no idea how to conduct it too..
happy.gif

hi joyful2!

as your nick implies, you must be quite a cheerful soul. so don't let the exam stress get to you so quickly, ya?

during my school days, I'd like to imagine what the test/exam questions would be. Some people would say I was spotting questions. But I'd like to think that I was focussing on the learning objectives. I still ask my students the same thing, even though I'm on the other side now. I'd like them to think what might present itself as important exam questions.

So why don't we train our kids to ask questions, instead of letting the questions bother them?

Hi pris!
Lucky you, getting out of the Sg system. Gee, doing short dictation at K2 level? I think the longest word B can read thus far is "wonderful". I've already taken content, since he read if off a card, in handwriting, not printed. But to spell it? Oh...
Little wonder why my friends in pri school complain how difficult it is to teach. Coz there will be kids who can read, write, spell and count in P1, while there are kids like mine who have so far been to school mostly to play, but have had little or no seatwork. I think B will be in for a "culture" shock when we return to Sg.

Bet Kai didn't have a problem integrating into any system coz you do such an excellent job in homeschooling him.

K's mom, Just for your info. Sarah is in Australia for a month. She will be back end this week. That's why she's so quiet. As for Moshi, she's moody moody. Ha...just to let you know that they're fine.

Hi Moo,

oic .. for last yr N2, teacher will show me a file where there are pictures of my kids doing various activities (just a few lah, easily counted with one hand) and comment base on picture how my kid is performing in that activity. For eg, they took a picture of my girl painting a face. Teacher then tell me girl paints very well, like to choose different colors, good orderly strokes etc.

in the same file (its categorised like, cognitive, language, motor skills etc), there is a list of tasks under each cat where they grade my kid, like "able to write, able to read", "able to jump with one foot" etc .. these information will be in a booklet that they pass to us where we need to sign and pass back.

so in short, its all abt how well the child did in school like wat Chloe has said.

hihi......
i am relative new here. i am from the preggie 2009 thread... but also mother of a 2003 boy. nice meeting u all....

Hi Moo87,
I am going to checkout Bras basah also next week !!

Hi Ky, I like KITES books too..got a few also..

Hi Sherlyn and Moo87,
I attend meet-the-parent session for A since he is in Nursery. The feeback is more or less like what Sherlyn has listed out. Mine for K1 is next sat 5jul.

Welcome welcome..2boys mum !!!

K's mom, you are right ..I also knew some P1 kids can be stressed out. I did not drill A at home and always think the things he learn in Kindergarten is quite sufficient. But recently was quite taken back when some of his classmates parents actually ask about spelling in K1...

Hi mummies!

My boy Travis came home with his chinese spelling list yesterday.. ~Argh~ I feel so stress even if he dun feel it..

Would like to knw hw do u mummies teach ur kids chinese spelling?? It's not as easy as teaching them english.. In English, u can just spell out to them one letter by one letter.. But in chinese, must keep writing... Too many strokes, see liao also blur~

Hi Isabella,

You mean your K1 child comes back with a spelling list??? What are some of the words in the list? I'm very curious to know ;) My dd can't even write properly, let alone to have chinese spelling.

Hi Chloe

Words like '4', 'cow', 'fish' in chinese..
Me head growing bigger by the day...

I was still thinking of starting him on simple mathes before i enrol him for abacus class... Now i think just the spelling alone is enough to left him breathless...

Hi Isabelle,

I guess if you drill the child (like asking him/her to practice writing it many times), he/she should be able to remember.

But I think there's more to learning than just spelling/ting xie at this age
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

Bumped into Star last nite @ Serangoon Gardens. Chit-chatted for a while. Its been sometimes since we last seen each other at SM gathering.

Z has yet to hv any spelling list. And Chloe, just to share, Z cant even write properly too. He knows how to spell if I constantly pick up spelling with him. But write... have to practise more often on the alpha.. And Chinese character is hard for him..

Anyone watched ch8 9pm serial. I do not want to force him too much. But a part of me, I want Z to have a headstart. I dun want to be the witch mummy. I sounded him for Hanyupinyin. His reply is NO.
sad.gif
I'm usually the bad guy.. DH is always the good guy. I always have to handle the academics & disclipinary.. Hey.. tt's not fair.. My blood boiled up last round when he asked me to handle Z when he did something offside. I told off DH.. He has to talk out to Z about it and not ME.. Argggg.. Men!

Thats funny .. my boy's PCF have nothing of that sort, no spelling, no homework to bring home to do .. I do not even see ds stress .. he only complains he does not have enough time to play.

I once let him write a page of "more, less", a few days later, when i test him, he still can spell it, but now, after weeks, he forgot abt them totally .. so spelling useful? But he certainly can recognise the words.

My boy also cant write .. teacher has been telling me to let him practice more writing at home, but he rather play then do any work. I really hate to force him to do worksheets at this early age.

hm ... personal opinion on spelling, if a child can sound out a word, he can spell out it too. The school that B's going to did tell me before that they'll do the spelling test such that the kid does not know it's spelling test.

Hi Isabella,
How I teach my son chinese is by strokes and pictorially ... eg. for "gao" (high), I'll tell him it's something stacked onto another, and I'll usually spot word within the word so that he can relate ... coz that's how I remember myself.

Apricot, got the Kite readers titles that I'm looking for? Not that I like them, the new school uses them & I'm reluctant to buy 10 expensive simple books just bcos I'm short of these 3 titles.

.ky.

Hi Chloe

I'm doing writing with my son everyday now. But we doesn't have much time. I reach home ard 7pm. Do my stuff and start teaching him @ 8pm. Sometimes, Writing 3 words (each word ten times) can take him whole hour. Then I'll let him write a sentence related to the words that he had learn for another 10 times. If fast, We may end at ard 9.30pm. If not, it can last till 10plus. I'm afraid that he'll be too stress... He should be able to be happy when he recalls his childhood next time when he grows up and not only remember a childhood full of homework..

Just start Kai on Spelling and we learn two words per day and it is 6 words per week for the next week spelling. I do it as a game with him since he could read the words.

Phonics and sight word flash cards is a great help and Kai was able to read quite a bit of Rigby Literacy Readers - 1 Emergent, he is completing the whole set a friend loan to me. And he also enjoy Ginn Readers.

By the way, which publisher is for Kite readers?

hihi Pris,

Kai is K1 already... started to read... may i know where you get the Rigby Literacy? and which set you started for him?

my boy rather active... likes to hands on and i haven really started any reading stuff for him...

erhmmm

hihi 2boy_mum

Rigby Literacy & Sunshine Series are all from Edventurebooks. My friend loaned hers to keep Kai occupied for emergent reader 1.

Peter and Jane is also a good series, Kai enjoys them too. He is also into factual books and fairy tales like 3 little pigs, little red hen etc.

KY, Tks for arranging the farm visit this morning. What an eye opener. We had fun!

Sorry Mummies! Just realized there were some of you there. Must have been because I was still grogged out by having to wake up early!

pris, the rigby books are quite ex right? i checked their prices last time, and if i get a few levels, it's a few hundreds hor?? can't bear to buy them .. sigh ..

jus to share, the words my gal had for spelling so far. it's kind of like the sight words ..

is, on, a, it, he, she, in, am, his, her, an, have, of, the, big, to, at, by, for, can, was, do, up, so ...

at least doesn't look too difficult yet .. phew!

Hi Alcovelet, good to see u there ... sorry I didn't manage to talk to u at all. Were u the one with the white hat? I've wanted to talk to you but u were carrying your boy and talking to him and I wasn't sure if it's you. A couple of homeschooling mothers were there which I'm not sure who's who either. Those from this forum includes Sherlyn and Judy (huh, my boy announced her arrival ... if u did pay attn, u'll know who). Guess there were too many people around and too much to learn at the time same that I didn't manage to talk much to anyone. Paisay was late as well ... woke up later than expected and had to fetch a mummy too ... but I enjoyed myself too.

I got rigby for $1/bk ... but I think I've recommended too many frens to the shop at bbc that they prob not entertaining anymore.

.ky.

Seems like some mummies here will organize outing at times. Would appreciate if I can join in the next time. Would like to let my boy know more frenx. ~Thanks in advance~

ky...
where's the bbc did you go to?

mummies...
my boy is practically seems to be deprived of toys... he is constantly asking me to buy toys and toys. today, while we were out on a family outing to Marina Square, but did not buy any toys for him though...
thereafter,during the trip home,he fell asleep inside the car.Once he woke up when he reached home,first sentence that Blurt out from his mouth is :"U buy any toys for me?"... grr...

yes, while he is having a nap in the car,I did a quick grocery shopping,Bought alot of foodstuff, but not his toys...

may i know other parents encountering this "problem"... stressed...made me feel so guilty that I seems under-providing him...

dear all
i'm also a mummy to a 2003 boy.

His teacher told me lately that he is slow in his Maths. so worry now coz partly due to us emphasizing too much on languages and overlook this area

I went around searching for Abacus but most of them teaches in CHINESE. Do you think it will cause confusion coz maths is taught in English in school.

anyone can advice where near Jurong West can i get a good maths school for him? I'm considering the option of MPM and kumon but would prefer abscus if they have it in English

Regards

dear all,
guess i din do as much homework as you mummies. hmm, so guilty... i'm a lazy mum! i hope its not too late for me to pick up now
sad.gif

din wana push him too much coz i don't want to have a negative impact on him on studies... so i have been "relaxing" all this while.

i went the links above and was pretty surprise with so many different types of Maths teaching method these days. must really wake up already!!

Well, my son has ting xie and spelling weekly and i make him write many times for his ting xie to make him remeber the stroke. I can't think of any other better way.

would like to learn from you all if possible

Hi Adeline,

I also did not take the initiative to walk up and chat with you .. scare lah .. plus i hv to manage my two monkeys. Bet will hv other chance to meet up.

sherlyn

Thanks Moo for sharing. My boy also has the "handwriting complaint" the last round of meet up .. lets see what she will say ths time round. However, I don't see any maths worksheets given back thou ... perhaps they did not learn maths? I never the impression they had maths, only english and mandarin .. must ask this round of PTC.

Hi Moo, Hi Sherlyn

What kind of handwriting complaint does your kid have? B is writing everyday now and I see he's trying very hard to write clearly but some of the common mistakes he does is not writing clearly (eg n & u), not leaving a space between words, not able to gauge the space to write the entire sentence/word. His words also tend to float and I think that's been corrected. Are all these common?

.ky.

Hi Ky,

The characters are mostly big and out of shape. I would feel that his chubby fingers are weak in mastering the strokes. Not leaving space between words is also common.

As for Maths, he is ok for sequence counting but cant recognise if they are not in sequence.

hi

actually i think the handwriting problems will eventually go away, mommies. so don't worry too much. of course, it's good to just monitor the progress. by primary school, when the child's fingers are better developed, he/she will write well.
alot of times why they don't write well, is because they are not fully concentrating and wants to quickly get over it
happy.gif

Hi Sherlyn,

Don't be so pai sei! If I weren't so groggy, I would have remembered there were other sgmotherhood mummies there and I would have asked KY to point the way
happy.gif

Kai is pretty ok with English Writing, I used to teach him to place his last finger for spacing between words. For chinese writing, he takes a longer time to complete.

I agreed that maybe at their age, their motor skills around the fingers are still weak. I am making him write to prefect his strokes but there is a neat to be patient at this age if not I think they will hate writing.

Anyone can share which publisher is Kite readers from?

hi Ky,

Ya, those are the common mistakes that JA made. He will write very big letters, floating letters, letters in between the lines, mix big cap and small cap in a word, big head small tail etc.

think cant blame them that they cant gauge the space needed for the word or sentences since they do not write uniformly. As for space between words, i teach him to place a finger after the word .. but he will forget.

He really hates seatwork, so i cant push him too much. Recently he even complains abt not having indoor play and outdoor play in school cos the teachers use the time to practice the yr end concert performance.

Hi Sherlyn,

I saw Z's pcf books for maths last nite. Oh boy! I am surprised of what they learnt. Eg. Match the number to make up 9. 2, 7, 4, 5, 3,6, 1,8.

Mummies, Just to share. I went to popular to buy those exercise books with multiple lines for handwriting 6 books @ $2.90. Last nite was the first page we worked on based on PCF "Fish can swim.". Z can do it with some coaching. He was proud of his work. That's some improvement I see.

We will work on another sentence tonite.
happy.gif

Hi Moo87

Z is good. Just have to keep reminding them

What he is doing for Maths for PCF is number bonding.

9 is make up of 0 and 9, 1 and 8, 2 and 7 etc

Kai did that too.

I am working with Kai on spelling. We are focusing on our body parts for 2-3 weeks and also on sight words.

Hi Moo,

Just went for my session yesterday (its 2am now leh keke). I asked the teacher how come my boy has no spelling of any sort, and she replied that spelling is actually not allowed in Kindergarten level according to ministry. They will only start spelling next year and it is only purely for them to be expose to what spelling is like, not really for marks.

Hi all

Please pray for Kai, he is still running a high temperature (might be having an infection, PD wanted me to observe his temperature till thursday if still high and not subsizing then need to start him on antibiotics). Dh and I are also down. We suspected that it might be the 2nd round of durians that we had at my in-laws' place since the 3 of us are all down.(In the past, we have durian sessions and now it is like we can find durians daily, funny rite?)

Priscillia~

Hope ur Kai will recover soon.
As for the durians, I think it's funny too... Think gotta check on it. Will do a googgle search and see what method they are using nowadays to plant the durians. Take good care of yourself, ya?!

Hi mummies,
Know this from an uncle of mine whose son is 20 days older than my 2nd. He said to let ur kids play with play dough to let them exercise their fingers, the palm area. So that they can write better. I'm now letting my kids play with play dough, hoping that what he taught me might wrk. My eldest son also will write very big, slanted words and always leave big spacing in between letters. So headache!!

Hi Mummies,

Been busy lately and seldom comes in.. wow.. so many new mums..to our thread..

happy.gif
happy.gif
..Welcome welcome welcome..
happy.gif
happy.gif

Pris,
Hope Kai will recover soon..

Sherlyn, Moo87,
My B also having simple maths in PCF. Counting and simple addition.

As for spelling, me just started him during school holiday.. I actually just choose from any story book.. and get him to spell and write from there.

Hi Sherlyn,

I wont be surprised, each PCF has its own stds. Fees also varies. His teacher told me they be starting spelling fr Term 3 wk 1. Its in their little blue book.

Hi Pris, durians are "heaty" fruits. I also try to take mangosteen after durians. Have you ever heard of consuming alkaline drinking water? alkaline water helps to neutralise acids and remove toxins from the body - a great cleanser and helps to detoxify our system. I usually gives to Z when he is having a fever.

Hi Moo87

We know that durians are heaty fruits. In fact, we have watermelon, herbal tea after that. Dh feels that the durians now is unlike before since whenever he takes, he ends up falling sick.
Yes, we have given alkaline drinking water to Kai but was told not to consume too much.

His fever finally lower, just crossing my fingers that it will continue to fall back to normal body temperature.

Hi Isabella

My boy does not play with playdough, in fact, he used the actual dough for cookies and make cookies. He finds that it is more rewarding since after he made and then put in the oven, he could consume them and share them with friends as well.

Back