(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

hey friends!

I'm finally back into my blogging business, after MIA for months now...
I just realise that end of year is always barren of posts, for me at least.

Thanks to WGA, I no longer get current US series anymore... so back to blogging...

Btw, has any mom here done any project with Shutterfly or Photobucket before? Am thinking of making a coffee table book with the kids' pictures in it.
Any tips/advice?

Serena, my personal opinion would be to do both if you have good childcare support and like what ky said, if your child is over 4. But I guess you need to first ask yourself what is more important to you - fulfillment by having a bigger family or further studies for career advancement or for purely for self-interest. If for the last reason, you must feel really strong about it. I delayed marriage and children to pursue a postgrad course that had no market value and zero impact on my work but it was a self-interest that I had to fulfill in order not to have regrets later in life.

Just watched the video on baby abuse by a maid. Gave me the shudders and strengthened my conviction not to leave my kids alone with the helper, even though my new helper seems more reliable and honest than the last. On Sun, hubby and I were pondering whether to leave JY with her at home as we had quite a lot of CNY shopping to do and with JK and JC, it's already a handful. In the end, we settled on peace of mind over convenience and had the whole troop out. It was very inefficient and more tiring for everyone but it's better this way than worrying all the time when baby is out of sight.

Still on toilet training, JC wanted to urinate while we were downstairs for a walk. She said she couldn't wait till we go up and while struggling to arrange her shorts so that she could squat without wetting, she wetted her shorts, legs and sandals! This led me to 2 questions -
1) What precautions can be taken while in the car or public transport? With JK, a bottle with cap was handy on the go but what to do with a girl?

2) How to train JC to urinate squatting down without wetting herself? It's different with the potty and child toilet seat. Also, how to deal with the toilet seats when outside? Sometimes the seats are not very clean and I usually minmise contact by lining the seat with toilet paper but if it's for JC, I'm sure she will struggle and get maximum contact withe the seat.

ky

When I'm old, I wld prefere to live in a old aged home. Why?

1. Don't like to do hse chores
2. Love to yak

Meilan
I could never bring myself to watch such vidoes or finish an article on these kind of news.

on toilet training
I always tell r to pee before leaving the hse, train, car rides etc to avoid having to stop somewhere.

R & I wld 1st look for squat pan in the public toilets and told her to aim into the pool of water. Just like the boys, they aim at the hsefly.

If, there aren't any squat pans ard, we did just like you. Cleaned n laid with papers on the bowl and carried R to sit on it. Both her hands wld wrapped around my legs for support. She wld not have contact with the bowl.

HTH

Hi Meilan,
This is what Moshi taught me. Put a portable potty inside the car, if pee, just wash with water, and poo, lay a plastic bag. Very useful, especially long distance! Till date, the potty is still inside the car, though H hardly use it now.

And if taking public transport, I make sure H pass urine before we board the bus/train. Of course, accidents happen, so extra set of clothes. Now that she's older, she knows how to 'hold' till we reach the toilet.

H doesn't know how to squat to pass urine, I have yet figure how to carry her. Think Moshi and Serenade can advise you on this. As for the toilet seats, I lay toilet paper for H. Try holding onto JC's hands so that she wont struggle. HTH.

Hi Mommies,
Gong Xi Fa Cai to you & family!

Having reunion dinner with my family tonite, and heading to Msia tomorrow for dinner with hb's paternal grandma. My yearly rountine since marriage. Sigh...sometimes, we head home only on the 2nd day and dont even get to visit my folks till 3rd day.

sarah n hannah dears
have lotsa fun!

meilan
yep yep yucky toilet seats! line paper and when in doubt, activate potty!
in case of poo, just throw it away, those plastic red ones still cost less than $2;)

mel doesnt know how to use the squat pan too, dont intend to let her attempt, she will figure it out when she's older.

maid n kids alone, totally agree on that piece of mind bit, did u also see that you-tube video? maid swings sarong with baby in it, sarong hits chair, action repeats several times.
not to scare u, but as much as possible, keep all 3 with u till they are old enough to report any mistreatment to u.
note though that this is coming fr someone who doesn't trust maids 100% and there are also maids who genuinely love and care for their charges;)

in my family, the one-child policy rules and stands.
the pros outweigh the cons!

serena
if money is no object and u hv help, like what some say, why not do both?

Gals,
happy hongbao collecting!
hope u collect more than u give to buffer the rising cost of living.
heehee

happy new year to all, catch u next week!

cindy,
hope u won;t miss Sg too much, have fun too!

jpooh ... why a reply to me on old folks home? U can read my mind? trying to read my posting to see where the hints of that came from. Anyway, not surprised to read your reply :> I don't know wht I'll prefer yet. I don't even know what to think of HYPY yet, and yes, Jan, hypy is to be introduced in P1, but many K2 mummies are wondering if these should be introduced progressively in K2 rather than stressing a lot in P1 and though there's MOE's regulations, some teachers are not following (in P1) and hence the anxiety. I may get excited abt that next yr, so just wondering the views of the mummies here.

Meilan, like Jpooh, I couldn't bring myself to view the videos ... as u know, I could depend alot on my helper esp with regards to K leaving me to run errands and outings with B, hence for that reason, I'll keep her for as long as the agreement stays and I'll not get anymore after that.

K's mom, u wanna stay at my place? I'm going to write a letter on CCK transportation blues, when I find the time to. btw, do u know that we just spend 2 hrs travelling to Sentosa on public transport? Ha! We were taking it more as a fun ride for the kids ... anything to anywhere takes 1 hr by public transport, at least!

.ky.

Hi K's mom,
Come back soon! I'm waiting for Kristin to join Cheryl
happy.gif
And Bryan can join Brandon for gym if you don't mind staying late on a weekday. :p

Aren't you returning to the workforce? Oh yeah, you are back in the blogging business with a vengeance, eh? That was a lot of reading for me last night
happy.gif

Hi ky,
I am not too concerned about HYPY. As long as the phonics foundation is strong, it shouldn't affected HYPY. Judging from I see in Brandon, I think phonics is making HYPY easy for him.

Hi Meilan,
Practice makes perfect. That's how Cheryl perfected the squatting stunt.
happy.gif
When Cheryl was younger, I used to carry her in mid air above the toilet bowl. Nowadays, it's easier as she can sit on the toilet bowl comfortably. Depending on the condition of the toilet seat, I'll adapt different styles. If the seat is relatively clean, I'll wipe it clean and lay some paper on it. Otherwise, I'll still lay the paper but let Cheryl squat instead.

An additional set of clothes and panties comes in handy too. Though she doesn't need them, we still brought them along just in case. It's our habit to get both kids pee before going out. She can hold the urge pretty well, so not much concern for us these days.

Hi Sarah,
Enjoy your ride and CNY!

Hi Serena,
It really depends on what one deems as more important, a second baby or studies. Another critical factor would be age.

For myself, I was planning to further my studies before C came along. Well, studies is on hold as I want to spend more time with them.

Hi Serena,
My sis is currently pursuing her Masters, with 3kids - 6, 4 and 2yrs old, and zero help. Yes, she is SAHM and my other 2 younger nieces attend school/playgroup twice a week, unlike our kiddos. And I think she's managing very well with family and studies. Oh yes, my bil is not those who will volunteer to help in the housework chores.

Hi mummies.. (gotta log off till next week liao)

Happy Chinese New Year to All..
May the "mouse" year bring you and family..
Good Health and Good Wealth....
May the Childrens get more angbaos on this CNY,
and more obedient and listen to parents..

May the Year of the Rat bring New Joys, Good Fortune, Good Times, Good Health and everything nice.

恭喜发财
万事如意

Happy New Year to all! Wish all a great year ahead, good health, good wealth and good time!

Will not be in till new year is over, lots of visiting this year after missing for 2 years.

Serena, overseas have bak kwa but not as tasty as the one in Singapore. I refuse to go and queue up for bak kwa so make 2kg myself. It is definitely least then the price of $40 per kg which is sold outside.

My mum got 2 bottles of kueh bangkit as gift for CNY so I did not make that this year. You have to stir-fried the flour first or microwave it first. And only used thick coconut juice.

HYPY is still in the P1 syllabus, and it will stay for the first term at least. I am looking at the P1 textbook. In fact, I am not so concern about HYPY, just making sure that Kai master his English first, phonics and reading skills so that he can move on to more difficult books first. And in term of Chinese, he can recognise close to 100 words which I think is more important.

Thanks all for your advice for toilet-training girls. I just hope JC will not be like JK, so much urine and always can't hold for too long. Till today, we still waste a lot of time detouring to let him pee. I think he has a bad habit of not emptying his bladder fully.

On maids, ky, I think you have less cause for concern as your helper has been with you for some time. Maybe I should correct myself, instead of saying I never leave my kids alone with the helper I should say I seldom do so cos there are still short period of time that I do so eg, sending JK downstairs on the school bus, bringing JC to the playground etc. But because I still don't trust my helper, I will give her the impression that I will be home anytime instead of a specific time. If it's something that will take long eg seeing the Dr, the whole family will have to tag along or my father will come to keep an eye. This is rather leh chay but I just can't afford the risk.

Sarah, your sister is most admirable. I aim to be independent without a helper in 2 years' time when the kids will be in your nieces' age groups.

Happy new year to one and all!

This year I am a bit pai seh with 3 kids. Now I understand how my mum felt when we were kids. She told me some relatives made efforts to avoid us at all costs even though she tried to make bigger hongbaos for those with fewer kids.

Anyway, I guess it's more important that we enjoy the festival and catching up with people we do not meet more often.

Hi Meilan!

I did the same then when I had a helper.
My main concern was that she might be able to react calmly to emergencies, e.g. dialling for an ambulance and explaining the situation clearly plus giving the address correctly on the phone.

I tested her once with a theoretical question: what she would do if she found my child bleeding?
She told me she would call me.

I told she should stop the bleeding first, go get my neighbour next (who's always home) and then call me.

Anyway, it's emergency I was most worried about. So it's good to have your dad around to watch the kids. Don't feel sorry about that. In fact, your folks might feel sorry if they weren't there in the first place and emergencies could have been avoided.

Hi jpooh!

I will join you at old folks home... but first, i gotta save up coz old folks homes these days are only for the rich... haha!

Hi Serenade!

Yes I will be returning to work. But mostly part time, at least that's what I told my boss already. So for two days a week I'll be gone at work, the rest will be done at home.
It will then be a pay cut for me and a part loss of family income.

Hee... many entries on blog were already done in drafts. But I did quite a bit of writing yesterday, just one day, haha.

Yep, B and K still remember B and C! They wanna go visit you!

HI Sarah!

Wow! Your sister is a supermom!!!
Have you wondered if it's also in the genes too? Studies or kids? Take both, Sarah!

Hi Ky!
er, actually no. and I don't really like my address in Sg either. My dream area is dover/holland area coz that's where I grew up.

HI mommies!
Gong Xi Fa Cai! Celebrate well!

Hi moms!

Does any of your kids play with these toys?
Magnetix
Lincoln Logs
K'Nex
Gears!Gears!Gears!

Any feedback?

I just realised that my kids are slowly outgrowing their toys.

Any toys suitable for 4 years and up?
I find that these days my kids, esp my older one, enjoy building toys a lot.

It has been interesting to see the feedback and some real life examples. I'm thinking of doing both. You think I can make it? Not sure if I'll go crazy or depressed especially when I can get depressed easily. Anyway, thanks for all the ideas, feedback and suggestions. It was good to pour out.

Will not be posting till next week too. So, before I go I would like to wish everyone a HAPPY New Year!! Chai Shen dao! Chai Shen dao! Chai Shen dao wo jia da men ko!!

Mommies, Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Hi K's mom,
I am going to get B Gears!Gears!Gears! as he's into building stuff lately.

Have you tried board games? We just played Blokus and B just can't have enough of it.

Wow, so many threads already.

K's mum and Serenade, Kai has some building stuff too. And he enjoys them very much and he is also into bigger puzzle like 100 to 300 pieces now.

Being the the flower display at Sentosa yesterday in the late afternoon, lots of people but the flowers are not as nice as before. Took some photos of it.

Meilan, congrats for #3. We are hoping that #2 will come soon.

Serena, I think you can do it.

Will come in another day, we are off for visiting again.

Pris,Serenade

Think our kids are at the "building" age now. Bought Benny a set of Cars series Mega block before CNY and he enjoyed it but when I challenge him further with the smaller parts construction set, he wasn't able to build it. So end up I had to sit in for 2 hrs before completing the whole set for him.

Happy Year of the Rat! How was CNY for everyone? This year, we have only done some visiting but dare not venture outings like Sentosa Flower Fest, Chinatown or River Hongbao. We used to go out so much on weekends and still trying to get used to staying home so much now esp JK.

Thanks Pris and hope to hear good news from you too
happy.gif

Toys, how come I've never heard nor remember seeing the toys mentioned here?

How do you teach kids about death? Hubby and I were engrossed in following the sad news abt Ah Meng's death which got JK very interested. He kept asking why Ah Meng couldn't move anymore and was very concerned when I told him all of us would die one day. He told me he didn't want to see Ah Meng's funeral pics, only those when he was still alive. These few nights he started feeling a little scared and insecure.

By the way, isn't it strange that Chinese are so pantang about death esp during CNY and yet so many turned up for Ah Meng's funeral?

hi meilan
CNY for us is fuss free as usual, party at my mom's place where all will gather, greetings, hongbao exchanging and losta food, and that's it.

went to sentosa on sun, not for the flowers though, attended a picnic bday party at tanjong beach. lovely place, not as crowded as siloso beach, clean sand, lotsa space for kids.

it amazes me how so many can get sentimental over ah meng, again, i think the ever powerful media has a part in this.
try explaining to JK abt living and non living things. cite examples like most things in the house are non living, they don;t need food, air water like living things, they dont grow, they dont die etc...

hi k's mom
did u cook reunion dinner?
how do the chinese celebrate CNY?

the one thing mel likes to 'build' is probably jig saw puzzles, of late, she's been hot on them, so her cheapo parents went to grab 10 pieces of made in china puzzles from the pasar malam. $1.20each! they kept her absolutely busy and her mom absolutely happy.
boggle and scrabble's fun for her too.

what has B been building? he must be one creative fellow!

Meilan, Kai has attended a couple of funerals with us from 1.5 year old onward and we have explain to him that when a person died, the person will be either cremated or buried. And that we will never see the person again and the spirit or soul of the person just returned to God and since we are all living things, we will died one day but we will meet each other again when we are in the present of God in heaven.

Kai has witnessed death of some quail chickens in Vancouver. We have brought him to pay respect to some elders at their resting place to lay flowers. I have also explained to him why his other grandpa is not around and he understand that death can be the consequence of illness, accident, drowning or even falling down from building.

Kai read about Ah Meng too and he knows that he will not be able to see Ah Meng again when he visit the zoo if we go in the near future. I have fond memory of Ah Meng too. Remembering see her when I was a child and then brought my pupils to the zoo and also Kai when he was younger, in fact, we also brought him last year to see the orang utan and the other animals.

Hi moshi!

Nothing much here for CNY. You should know when you read my blog. Reunion dinner was something simple to suit the palate of the kids.

Again, not a great deal here coz all the Chinese people have to work, go to school, just another weekday!

For the kids, they were happy coz they got to wear their samfu and cheongsam. They thought it was great dressup since it was Karneval here last Tuesday. Many kids were in costumes too.

I guess my kids will only learn about CNY when they are back in Sg for good. Not much of celebration here unless we were still in NYC or in London.

B's not so much into puzzles lately, though when we offer him 60 pcs - we usually freeze their toys in the storage for some time and take it out again for the kids to play to add novelty - he's happy to do it.

He's over what normal duplo can offer now. He will usually pick out the pcs and build his own rockets, airplanes, Noah's ark etc, whatever he thinks fit. One of the highlights in toy stores these days is the Lego station where there are colourful lego bricks waiting to be transformed into something. B's probably more thrilled with the big boys' lego now, but since his sister's still young, we don't allow him to play the small pcs when the little sister is around.

That's why I was thinking of acquiring more building toys like K'Nex.

Meilan,
Those toys I mentioned can be found on amazon.com. One American mom with 4 boys told me about them. Apparently, boys go crazy with these building knick-knacks, as girls would with their dolls.

Honestly speaking, I haven't been doing lots of things with the kids these days since my parents came. I'm enjoying my vacation. And am letting my kids enjoying more adults' attention. So I guess I'll only actively start to play and work with them again when my parents leave at the end of this month.

Hi mommies!

Anyone knows more info on Maris Stella Kindergarten off Holland Road? Please volunteer your info, thanks!

Hi Serenade!

Do you catalogue your many books at home?

The Scholastic Book Order is in again... I might be looking to get more stuff. But I think I'm slowly losing my mental count of books. Right now, it's pure memory power when it comes to finding the books, and it's only mommy's memory power. Partly because I read them myself! :p

Side-track: Strangely, when I tell B that I have no idea what he's searching for, he'll say, "How could you not? You're my mommy. You're supposed to know where all the things are!" Hmmm, new definition to motherhood here!

K's mom .... judy's girl is in Maris Stella Kindergarten.

I've managed to borrow "where willy went" ... and realize what the story is abt. so before I use it with B, can I just check how do I explain (or if I do) that certain behaviour (like kissing) and having a baby is not for kids... u know how kids like to pretend play now. I kept quiet the other night when the TV was on and there was an intimate scene on ... huh, how to explain? I can't just say that people do this for love, n we kiss good night each night to everyone ... huh, how? Help! He's growing up so fast that sometimes the things he says surprises me.

Meilan, B saw funerals held at void decks before n he understands that when someone dies he goes to somewhere far-away. this applies to fishes that his daddy rear, or plants. The reason that they die is because they are old ... The problem I think I'm going to have is how to explain that can happen to a young child, and I intend to bring him to visit the grave of a very young child soon.

btw, I was at the zoo twice the week before Ah Meng died, but sad to say, I never meet her before... each time, I go to the orang utan enclosure, I just see big groups of them, and I really don't know which one is her.

.ky.

Hmmm, B doesn't ask such questions about kissing and if it's got anything to do with having a baby. I guess there are alot of kissing going on every where here. We see mommies kissing their babies, daddies kissing mommies, daddies kiss their children, children kissing their parents etc. Quite a healthy normal family image I would say.

But there was once when we "accidentally" let him watch "what women want" and it got a bit funny with bedroom scene. We had to quickly switch it off even though it was in German. Coz the word SEX is a universal one! Good thing he didn't repeat it anywhere else after that.

Now that you mentioned about funny things, during our recent trip to Amsterdam, my dh wanted to take a short cut back to the car park, while I was telling him it's ok to take a longer way lest we cut into the redlight district. well, no. It's more important for him to make it back so he didn't have to have to pay the start of another hour, which was 4 Euro. In the end, lo and behold, guess where we were. My son was amused by the fact that "shop windows" were dressed with scantily clad women, and he thought it was funny comparing with the animated Christmas shop windows he saw in NYC.

Anyway, in his innocenct mind, he didn't suspect anything. And we told him the poor women were locked up there by bad guys to do window display. That's what came to my mind in that instant.

Oh boy, yes, you are right about asking those questions. Our children do grow up fast. But one good thing about B is that he recently told my mom, only grandma, mommy and his wife can kiss him. Girls can't just kiss him. SOmehow he's got a pretty healthy definition of a kiss. It must be from someone special and important to him.

I think we need to emphasise again and again that it must be a grown up man and a woman, a mr and a mrs to have a baby. and emphasize that taking care of a baby needs great responsibilities. And if he wants to be have one in real life, he needs to learn now to take care of himself first, then find a woman who is willing to be his wife, and they need to get a job, get married, earn enough money to start a family etc Only then can they have a baby so that the baby will feel safe in a home with the love of mommy and daddy and secured with a physical roof... etc...

Good grief... I really dread answering those questions. But I think we have to try to make it as honest an answer to them as we can. no use avoiding it.

Good thing with B now is that he plays with boys more than he does with girls. And he's really not into pretend play of starting a family with anyone. But we can't emphasise enough that his sister IS NOT and WILL NOT be his wife. Another good thing is that dh has sisters. And they are definitely NOT his wife. So I think he does know that his wife is a special woman he needs to find.

But the act of consummation is shown pretty subtly in the book. In the museum here, lovemaking scenes are shown to all children. And then the pregnancy stages right to the birth of a child through the birth canal! Yep, vivid images to young children I must say.

Yes, regular TV will definitely contaminate our kids' mind. So gotta start teaching them the truth now. Never too early to start.

Hi K's mom,

Thanks for the link. Hmm, I'm actually looking for something different - peculiar pronounciations. For instance, words such as : Javelina is read as "ha-vuh-LEAN-a ", Gila is "He-la", Tucson is "Too-sahn".
Talking about mispronouncing words, my stay in France has allowed me to understand why the French hates it when one speaks to them in English. That's b'cos there are a lot of mispronounced french words by the English :p The following words are spelled the same and have the same meaning. The only difference lies in the pronounciation.

machine (mah-sheen)
question (kehs-tyohN)
silence (see-lahNs)
cousin (koo-zaN)
art (ahr) and many more.

In french, the "r" takes the "h" sound, i.e instead of "rose", it should be "hoz". Once I was telling my french landlady that we were going on a short trip to Paris. The poor old lady staring at me blankly, trying to figure out where the place was. In french, Paris should be read as "Pah-e". :p Who knows, maybe Spottiswoode Park will be widely accepted with "IS"?
wink.gif

Even fashion brands are not spared http://fashion.about.com/cs/designers/l/blpronounce.htm

Hi Joanne,
Tell me about it! B requested for Lego 3-in-1 house model set as Christmas present. In the end, it's the daddy and mommy who took turns to complete the model!

Hi k's mom,

About books, human memory chip is also my best bet. Let me know if you have good ideas!

My B knows that this mommy has limitations cos Mommy's favourite answer is "Let's go check it out!" :p

Hi Pris,

B's interest in Jigsaw puzzle cooled down since he completed the 100pcs set last year. But I'm thinking of re-introducing him again. Have you or Kai tried the 3-D globe jigsaw puzzle yet? I'm very tempted to try that... haha, yup, it's more for myself

Hi K's mom,
The website is pretty interesting. Are those words frequently mispronounced by native English speakers too? Subconciously, I know zoology should be read as "ZO ology" but would still read it as "zoo logy". Looks like I must make a more concious effort from now on...

Hi moshimoshi,
Did you major in English in the university? Any interesting books on English to recommmend?

Serenade
You can buy mega blocks instead of Lego. Lego can cost up to $80++ per box while mega blocks from 20+. And try to buy those with bigger blocks with instruction booklet so that they can complete the whole set by themselves instead of watching mummy fix the whole set up.

For Benny's car series mega block, fixing up the whole truck and Mcqueen car was easy job but the most enjoying part was when he tried to "modify" them by fixing one or two extra parts in between and sort of transform them into transformers!

hi K's mom

I like Maris Stella alot. Big space, non-aircon and friendly staff.

When R was in Nursery, class was small in number, just 14 of them (pm). Teachers were attentive. During review, her form teacher wrotes down all the + & - points of the kids before meeting the parents. All points were mentioned. Felt that was an real effort made by them.

They had sports day just for Nusery Classes and the kids performed a mass dance. Very entertaining.

This year, her K1 teacher is very welcoming. Offered her mobile numbers to all parents on the 1st day. Told all of us not to hestiate to contact her.

R hardly has homework. Just cutting pictures and drawings. But she does bring alot of crafts home.

Computer lesson is a must for K1 onwards. Twice a week which cost abt S$120/term? can't remember. They have enrichment classes but are outside school hours which I can't make it.
Chinese S&D is only $50 for 4 lessons.

As for reading and writing, to me she can read quite a number of words and copy writing is at a reasonable speed.

Down point, have to bring your own snacks. School fee is reasonable at S$480/term (cant' remember cos paid last year). Not adding computer lessons and textbooks. But bus transport is very expensive. S$100 for return trip and S$80 for one way.

Will upload pixs of the school soon.

HTH

Tomorrow is Valentine's day, what are you mummies and your dH planning?

We are just going for a simple dinner and a show. Yawn!! nothing fantastic.

Piggy, I didn't go Japan. Sorry can't give you any feedback.

Hmm... about mis pronc words. Sausage should be sau sige and tuition should be tu it tion, toddler should be todd ler and not tod der ler which I caught my girl's teacher in N2.

jpooh, R's school sounds fun. How come mine doesn't have computer class? Hmm... must CHECK IT OUT. Ha.. right Serenade?

Back