(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Bebe
It is timely that we got this tutor. Husband got a new job posting and has been really busy. The last thing he wants to do when home, is to be troubled by math.
Oral is over. Compo in two weeks time followed by paper 2. Because of two days of bedtime after 11pm, my boy starts to develop flu and cough symptoms. I feel less stressful when he can come home early from school and there is no tuition in that afternoon. Like yesterday, got him to nap for 1.5hours.

Cookiepie,
Thanks. We recently engaged a tutor. She sets her own questions, so far my boy done two and both are not very challenging type. Will give her some time to identify my boy weaknesses. I topped up with paper two and she only goes through those areas that my boy does not know how to do. I am expected to mark his paper first. For time savings? She also did not go through questions that my boy didn't do because not taught in class yet. She wants him to try after school teacher teach eg questions on volume.

So I want to check how a typical lesson for math is usually carried out. She willwork aalongside with my boy to solve the questions that he is stuck. That means, in a session, probably going through 5-6paper two questions. My boy claims it is useful. She did do 2hours session although suppose to be 1.5hours. Since starting tuition this month, my boy has lesser mistakes in his math work book. He used to have careless mistakes. But I make him show the tutor what are his silly mistakes, and after two sessions, he is more conscientious in his school work.

My boy cannot break out of the 75marks zone for past year papers. Either he lost them due to 3-5question he can't do plus careless, or no time to finish the paper.

fz,

From the way you described, it seems your boy's tutor is rather passive in her teaching method. But if he benefitted from her method by making lesser careless mistakes and thus scoring more marks, then he has made progress. I think carelessness is one of the most difficult habits to break.

FZ,
I feel we still have time as the ultimate target is PSLE. More impt to get concept right first then from there foundation is right and move on to challenging questions.

cookiepie, CL,
my boy's results should be out this week.
i asked him last night how he think he will fare. he told me some guesstimate scores, mainly in this order (from highest to lowest):-
Science
English
Chinese
Math

got his Paper 1 Section A score (MCQ section) - 4 marks gone. how can? that is supposed to be the easiest section, right? his practice on past year papers he managed to score full for this portion (of 20marks) most of the times (those times he got error, it was due to carelessness again), so what went wrong? carelessness cannot be cured, so should i still focus on Paper 1? or focus on getting as much exposure for Paper 2? he said a few 4-5 marks questions never seen before.
sad.gif

Fz,
I thought now paper 1 for mathematics is allocated for 50 mintues only?? My son commented that his classmate cannot finish at all. So I think the 4 marks is still reasonable

Chua,

Paper 1 allocated 50min only, yes.
his performance is not stable. we dont have much time for math revision, so have to see if we want to do a paper 2 a week or 2 paper 1 a week. not sure which to focus on for revision.

4 marks out of 20 marks. Paper 1 Section A, the MCQ portion.... that portion should be the easiest to score to cushion Paper 1 Section B and Paper 2....

Mummies,
what CL/HCL compo did your kids get?
mine got
CL - Prank and Dispute in class / An unforgetable experience
HCL - A Group Project Experience / some continuation story that my boy can't remember,

Mummies,
How to improve EL compre?
My boy has 13/20 for compre.
Hoping to improve score to 16.
Did you child's tutor teach annotatin techniques?
I went for my boy's Mindstretcher parent teacher meet and the tutor said there is no time to cover detail annotatinn in class. They will only be taught where to look for answers in passage for questions they got wrong.

I'm so upset with dd's result. Every subject 退步!
Even her stronger subjects like Maths and Science also underperformed. Languages even worst. This is in relative to her classmates results. Not just looking at her score in isolation.

I think it's due to her laid back & nua attitude. Even though she studied for her exam but I feel that she's just going through the motion. Because of that, I told her she just forgo her upcoming school holiday. It will not be a holiday for her. I expect her to turn around her attitude and show me real effort everyday

Yawn,
I know how you feel.
I felt the same during CA1.
His math results plunged.
For SA1, I have not seen class average scores, but he made a two marks improvement. I am assuming SA standard is higher than CA, so I give him credit for that tiny improvement. The dad is not happy though. Because of the CA, he worked throughout march holidays to try to improve his math grades. I told him that CA 2, to give me another two or three marks improvement. Just no more dips if possible.
Only other results know are CL and HCL. Both dip compared to CA. Justified due to compo and still within my expectations.
English and science still not out,

My gal's result for Maths and Science was better than my expectation, as we were expecting at least 10% drop from P4 standard since there was no CA1 for me to gauge. She was also not able to tell me her about the class average score.
I have not received the actual papers so I do not know which area to work on for improvement. However I know the weakest areas come from Paper 2 as she said she had 1 mistake for Maths MCQ and 3 mistakes for Science MCQ.
For Chinese, she did not perform well, big drop from P4. But I did not chide her as I already told her that our focus for SA1 is Maths and Science (to pull up her confidence) and we will work on the Languages after SA1.
As for English, result is not out but I am already mentally prepare that she will score low as she told me the paper was difficult.

Now I am considering if I shd pull my gal from Mindstretcher..judging on the effort (tuition center + hubby's coaching) vs output (exam result) - I think tuition center's contribution is not significant this time round. Her tuition center teacher has been with her since P2 and she is good, but I think the classes are getting too big, and the pace getting too fast. My gal seems unable to connect with the same teacher anymore. In the past, she will approach the teacher but now she is not able to..either no time, or does not know what to ask.
My other P4 gal is also attending mindstretcher but weekday afternoon class..class size is around 6-8 but the teacher is a part timer..so basically just go through the worksheet with the class. However, this gal is different from her Jie Jie..she can "swim" on her own..I send her to tuition class to "force" her to revise, as she only listens to tutors and teachers but not ME!. This time, I am disappointed with her Maths result as I was expecting her to get at least 85, but she got 78 instead. She admitted that she could do better as she did not study hard. I did not do any revision with her as I was busy with my P5.
Anyone tried Just Education at Bishan?

bebe75
mine also requested to stop mind stretcher science as she not getting much help and because of cca commitment and competition, she missed many lessons. So many of her worksheet are undone.

So we are going to do 1 to 1 tuition for science and english.

I actually did not have any expectation on the result as P5 liao I am expecting a plunge. So far based on class performance, as per teacher she is top few but not sure about level performance. Math, I went thru and felt she lost 9 marks unnecessarily.

Science, she is disappointed as she did not get above 50 for section A MCQ.

HCL, haha i should be happy that she passed because many failed. For chinese, teacher says she is ok, considered top 3 in class.

She did better for HCL compo which she chose story continuation. Today a boy sitting at a corner feeling sad, ... .... ( teacher said she scored because she wrote he failed chinese but when he return to class he was told that he scored highest for english. As per teacher, there is a feeling qi fu, so it is a good storyline. A few failed the compo if they talked about the second day, 3rd day etc, because it started off with Today.

CL, teacher told them to choose picture compo. picture shows mum ask child to go buy rice with $10, then along the way, met red cross getting donation, child ran away dropped the money, red cross person helped child found the $$, so he was in dilemma to donate the money or buy rice.

Teacher says she did not grasp the chance to describe on the feeling of dilemma , the anxiety of losing the money.

We also missed a few lessons and when I tried to get makeup, timing is so difficult to fit into the schedules. When my gals did the worksheets, they said tutors will mark but will not go thru with them, only write correct answers next to the wrong one. It is up to the kids to come to tutors to clarify. However, I think also difficult for tutors to spare time individually as the classes timing are really tight. During last parent teacher meeting session conducted by the tuition center, none of my P4 gal's tutors contacted me even though i have indicated my wish to speak to them. Of late, I realise a few "lousy" questions in my gal's p4 maths worksheets... "Lousy" as in ambiguous questions that result kids losing marks unnecessary. Really starting to loose faith in that tuition center... But the problem is like what yawn yawn was sharing - dunno where to go.

We just started mindstretcher english. Agree that because lessons are back to back, hardly can find opportunity to clarify doubts. Agree that depends on kids to approach teacher. My boy made use of in between worksheets to ask, but I guess english questions are easier and less time consuming to clarify. So far, the vocabulary are quite tough and eye opening so good as exposure. My concern is the lack of compo pract and compre techniques taught. Son wants to continue to try out MS for a while longer. I already have a neighborhood tuition centre in mind if MS doesn't work out. That centre caters for students staying around there any son has a couple of classmates with them for a long time. We face the same problem of no time for clarification for chinese group tuition, hence we are with tutor for this.

Chicken little
MS science not good? I was wondering if should try them. I thought their notes and questions quite good. Your girl school standard very high. I am looking for a centre that focus on answering techniques. Son did well for science, but his answers for one mark questions were three to four lines. When asked his teacher how to improve, his teacher either said it is english sentence construction issue, or that his answers were good and detailed, better than answer key, all salient points there. He sometimes tend to miss out key words when write too much and too time consuming.

He had a one mark improvement compare to CA1, have not seem class mean score yet, so not sure if papers were easier. Dip was in chinese, all other subjects improved scores, while we hope he could stilldo abetter.

bebe

I spent the entire yesterday searching for tution centers recommendation. No progress at all.

For private tutors I really have no clue. Can't find genuine recommendation, only see tutors self recommendation.
For tuition centers, it's always the same popular few like learning lab, Mindstretcher, Just education, learning point, etc. But all mixed review. Even learning lab (ridiculous fees $311 for 4 lessons!!!) there are feedback that not much improvement. For the less known ones, I received feedback it's not good because the positive feedback are actually posted by center itself, faint!

I'm lost and confused. Still stuck at Mindstretcher. Really don't know where else to go

fz
my dd's weakness is cloze and comprehension. MS is supposed to teach them techniques but no result seen, in fact only get worst & worst

I'm marching to popular. Too kind to her, never push her to do any assessment books at all. But I plan to transform myself to a monster mom & breathe down her neck everyday this school holiday

fz,
my girl requested to be out of class enrichment and a 1 to 1 tutor. she feels she is not benefitting from. I also like the notes but she is missing lesson and i cannot get make up so hence it is a timing issue for us.

Yawn Yawn
I got my tutor thru a home tutor agency that my fren recommended. This current tutor that came to our place 3x seems so far so good. Of course 3x before SA is not able to see result.

Someone shared a method with me. Her girls no tution at all and managed by copying all the model answers on science. She believe as you copy, you absorb. For me I prefer getting the foundation or concept and apply.

Yawn,
My son just started MS english. Your girl with their HA class for some time already? This sa is the first time my son made improvement for english. He lost marks also in cloze and compre. If he doesn't improve compre, I may have to shop for other places again. Time is running out. MS teacher said no time to focus on just teaching technique else can not finish worksheets. She said can only impart one or two tips along the way and students have to really listen in to pick up.

My gal has another home tutor for English, I told her the focus point is compre and compo and also T&S. For compre, I note that she taught my gal how to get clues from passage to "read in between the lines" - this is what MS is lacking. Though I am MS tutor will go through the passage to look for "hints", but this skill needs practice, and for my gal, you really need someone to sit besides her to go through the passage closely.

I am toying the idea of dropping MS English but I am scare that the exposures might not be sufficient. Hubby also against the ideas of dropping MS Maths, unless I can find a better center or tutor. At this point of time, I really do not know how to source for other centers..and some centers' fee are quite ex. MS fees is still affordable.

CL - for science, I get my gal to read and copy the model answers for OE questions, depending on the topics such as water cycles. It helps a bit, cos after a while, the "phrases" are "standard" and the concept dwell in.

bebe,
your current arrangement is what we did for CL. we were also afraid that tutor may suddenly quit during the much needed time (eg, my sister has a very good tutor for my nephew for science, but the tutor now needs to resign for personal reasons. at least she still has 1 yr before PSLE to source for backup for science tuition). when i asked if we should drop one, husband asked, what if drop one and results dip? the CL tutor is very thorough in going through the compre...something that tuition centre usually couldnt afford the time.

lucky for us, there is 2 neighbourhood centres that are run by teacher owners. they are our backups. because they service neighbourhood/neighbouring schools, demand is not max. just that timing are not right for some classes as their set up is small, so class slots limited especially when u want their 'star tutor' aka owners. they are our backup for MS - my boy attends their CL group class and although they do use assessment books materials, their teachers make a lot of difference in how the students want to learn.

have u tried asking your dd's classmates' parents? lol. my son's classmate offered to recommend his math tutor to my son.

i had earlier asked son to guesstimate his scores and turned out accurate that his scores in order of merit are like what he guessed he will fare.

Science
English
Chinese
Math

Only CL dipped but all still above class mean. Managed to get Ma teacher to feedback via email. We need that confidence booster for Math that he had moved from below class average to slightly above.

After the release of my son's results, I am very satisfied with his mathematics. 97/100. but my son commented that it is easier than ca1. His mathematics teacher is surprised that he did not have any mathematics tuition. My main concern now is higher Chinese and English as he don't perform well. I agree that vocabulary is difficult and close passage too. But these 2 areas are the most difficult to teach. Any parents have any idea on how to improve?

Fz,
Thank you and I must say that I am proud of him as he really do all the mathematics assessment on his own. I only coach him or ask him to redo the problems when he got the wrong answers.

Yen Ling - you are so blessed with a self-motivated son!!

Saw my gal's actual paper yesterday. Her English Paper is quite a challenge for the vocab portion but grammar, Trans & syn portion I thought was manageable. I think I have to get her to work harder on vocab portion..

For Maths, I am pleased with her problem sum..she managed to solve the problem in the right direction..at least models are correct..but lost many points due to carelessness..eg questions ask for the total for 6 days, she wrote the answer for the 6th day..2 marks gone like that. Her weakness is the short questions in Paper 1..very very careless. One mark deducted here and there..and then 6 marks gone for carelessness..hiaz..
She told me many of her classmates scored between 40-60..she was one of the top scorer for maths in her class.. but I felt that she can do better. Hubby said at least we are doing something right..

For Science..I realised the OAS are marked by computer...traditionally all OAS papers were being marked by teachers or students. This is the first time I saw computer marking. I am pleased with the the MCQ portion but for OE parts..I have to sit down and analyse which topics are causing her to loose the marks

For Chinese..she did quite badly. I already told her since day 1, she has to study Chinese on her own..seems that this is not working. I told her if I were to assist to tutor her Chinese, she has to manage Science on her own..she said she is not confident...hiaz..wish she can be self motivated and work on her own..dunwan her to be over reliant on me..

Hooray, I just returned from popular!
Pull dh and dd2 along to help scout books for dd1

Bought nearly a dozen of assessment/reference books (4 for Maths, 4 for English, 1 for Chinese) today and already bought 1 for Science a couple of days ago

The previous time I actively scout for assessment books from popular was in Dec 2010 because dd1 was embarking on p3 science new subject.
Oh my, that was really long ago! See lah, I have been too lax with dd1

Hopefully can cover as much as possible this holiday

Wow yawn.

We just started on the math assessment books we bought last year. Tutor will give past year papers and her own questions. We alsoIhave onsponge not used. For chinese, will need to get B book. For english, still have a lot undone.

June four weeks-already planned one week science, one week english, one week math and every week one chinese compo. Think mayneed two weeks science, one for next semester topics, one to revise lower block. Didn't have much time to revise lower block for sa1.

I went to popular to get 2 chinese compo books ..thinking to get them to read and highlight those "nice" phrases.

I analyse the Science scripts and found that mine fumbled on the OE questions for lower block eg heat and light, matter. She did fairly well for P5 topics such as cells, electricity. I think for Science, we really have to consistent revise those P3/P4 topics..no time to do so before the exam

Onsponge
Anyone using Onsponge? Thinking how to brush up the problem sum area.

bebe

I bought Onsponge, avail in sch bookshop. My dd did a few chapters last year, didn't complete the book. She said onsponge is a very tiring method to do problem sums. That series of book was written many years ago so method may be a little dated. Also attended the workshop last Dec but I won't say it's particularly useful

fz

My dd said cannot do entire week same subject, she will puke, rofl. So I told her to mix and match herself, if bored with one then switch to the other, as long cover every subject over the holiday

I displayed everything in her cabinet so she can just pull out any book to work on.

dd2 helped to choose jie jie's assessment books but bought none for herself. I tease her very shrewd to siam hor, lol

bebe
we have onsponge. we managed to complete last year's one. this year's copy still untouched. his Math teacher used it in class on when they have time. we only use our copy's answer sheet to double check immediately - cannot wait for teacher to return as sometimes it will take time.

yawnyawn,
i asked son if he wants to mix and match or intensive. he opt for intensive. i have yet to pack his study table! still massive load of books stacked there. everything that needs to be done have to be stacked on his study desk with dates written (else he will waste his time away and then rush for the last few days and then complained cannot finish). he has his books and stuff neatly lined up on the shelf, but he never touches them! he doesnt even know what books are there!

your girl with MSLC HA/GEP science? how's the class size? my boy with their HA EL. he said his slot class size is good - about 6-8 students only (50/50 GEP/Mainstream). another slot has >10-12. there is a current teacher offering a small group science tuition at her home near my place - 3pax a group, 2 hrs at $200 a month. wondering if we should try out. son has >90marks for science though. but majority of boys in class has that kind of scores too.

fz
Class is full. I forgot the exact class size, I think either 15 or 16 kids. Only one class in that center so absolutely no make up lesson lor. Hardly got chance to ask questions, if any. Teacher always behind schedule, so many worksheets behind time, some partially go through only. I complained to center before but after a few weeks, lapse again. I think class size too big for teacher to handle but other center timing not suitable so not much choice leh. I chose this center because of its timing.

your ds science is very good! he self study?

yawn yawn.
oh i see. i find anything more than 10 already very crowded.

my ds self studies science using guidebooks and model answers in assessment books. i spent about 3 afternoons (about 2-3hrs each) going through selected section B past year papers questions with him. he turns to his sch science teacher to clarify some answering requirements (when past year papers' answers no good or we find incorrect). his 'strategy' is to write as much and as detailed. my role then is to ensure that he answers to the question rather than just regurgitate facts without linking it to the questions. i worry he can't finish on time or miss out important key words. his sch science teacher said his answers are better/more detailed than sch answer key, hence, could not offer us any advise on how to cut down on 'overwriting'.

fz

Wow, you're such a diligent mommy, peifu !

I confirm can't coach to that level, too tedious for me if I have to study with dd the entire syllabus. I chose the easier way out, go tuition. Paiseh, I think I'm quite useless as a sahm, can't coach, can't cook well either

aiyah..my gal english tutor just dropped the bomb on me..she has found a perm job and wants to change timing from weekday to weekend or weekday evening. I am not so concerned about the timing, but rather her commitment. She told me she applied the job way before she took up our assignment and did not know that she will be shortlisted after so long.
Hiaz..seriously for the rate I am paying, I will expect a full time tutor. Luckily I have not dropped MS...

FZ - your son is lucky to have a small class in MS. Perhaps bcos this is a HA class? My gal has 15 students for both her MS English and Maths ..and this is not ideal. But I can't find other suitable slots..

Now, I am thinking if I should go for Onsponge tuition (or should I get the book and coach myself)..but coaching needs a lot of patience and discipline...and I have none of these..I got the onsponge P3 when she was in P4, and we did not have time to go through the techniques.. this year, my younger gal told me her classmates commented that most of the exam questions were from onsponge..but the school did not recommend this book on their booklist. She lost quite a fair bit on Problem sum and OE. I asked my younger gal if I shd get the onsponge book for her then...she kept insisting that teachers did not recommend. HMPF...

Yawnyawn,
Every exams I spend three days only. Used to be much more than that. So now consider relax. I don't cook much too, so have to keep my sahm ricebowl a bit. Lol.

Bebe,
Yes. Lucky for us the MS clash is small. But because it is a saturday morning, we tend to miss lessons due to school activitdp. So far, the centre allowed us to make up, but the timing on weekdays is just as crazy. Mad rush. Next time open houses on saturdays too, so we have to limit to a few as will have to miss tuition for the sec school open houses.

Your english tutor so unprofessional. That is the downside of engaging private tutor. Best is still small group tuition. But for science, I feel no choice but to go for private for more personalised teaching, but at the same time, concerned that if private tutors know school exam answering requirements.

bebe
you might want to try Onsponge workshop first, to have a gauge before signing up for weekly tuition. There is upcoming one in June.
My dd attended the workshop last Dec but wasn't too impressed so I won't be signing her up for more workshops

Yawn Yawn - my kind neighbour agreed to help me to get the onsponge books! Her gal attended the workshop last year and enjoyed it..thought of signing the same for my gals but the available timing was not suitable, unless I travel to their katong branch. But I think I will get the book first and probably get the kids r to try them out during the holiday. My hubby does not really believe in those maths method..he believes that so long as concept is strong, you should be able to solve the problem, and unless MOE incorporates onsponge method in the PSLE, just like modeling, he thinks that it is not necessary.

My P5 gal told me she had the highest mark (76) for Maths in her class..most of her classmates got 40-60. I am happy that this act as a great confidence booster. Told her this is what I meant by saying you reap what you sow. I hope she can do the same for the languages subjects. She replied that she does not hv enough time to spend so much time on all subjects...which is quite true too,

I bid sayonara to that English Tutor last evening, she said she had to start work next week and hasten me to confirm the revised timing. I told her to the best interest for both of us, I will look for a replacement tutor. I settled the fee online and told her no need to come next week. I felt sad for my gal as she likes this tutor, in fact she continued doing her tuition assignment even after I told her that the tutor would not be coming in anymore.

I told my hubby who is overseas..that the tutor is gone for good. He said I should be happy that this does not happen before the PSLE. I probably will get some assessment to brush up her vocab during this holiday.

I just returned from my Hangzhou, China business trip last week. The residents there don't seem affected by the avian flu. Life goes on as per normal.

My gal performed badly for her SA1. All her marks dipped and scoring only 66 for maths ...sighed...she's very nua, doesn't seem motivated to study all on....

Hi long time never check the thread. Very busy with work.

Since the disastrous CA1 when dd did badly 70+ for her maths, I outsource all the subjects to tutor/enrichment ctr. Luckily this SA1, she improves. Overall average was 84. P5 maths is getting very difficult especially problem sums. She couldn't grasp the concepts and I have no time to go through with her except on weekends. She told me she spent the most time on Maths but she scored the lowest. Sigh... luckily it is only one subject that she need to focus on.

DD was happy that she was selected to take part in the Primary School Chinese Composition exam last weekend. I didn't prepare her at all so no pressure. I told her she won't win cos usually those who win are from the top Chinese schools like NYPS, TNS, Ai Tong.

Bebe,
Your girl did well for math. Congrats!
The risk with one to one tuition is not only this, but also need to worry if they will raise fee last minute or get pregnant, get married! Lol. Maybe it is safer to engage full time tutor or related ones, eg, friend's relatives etc?

Maisy,
I find that to look at the bright side of dip in results is that the kid will likely be more motivated to work harder to improve results at next exams. After the not so good performance at CA1, my boy has improved results this round. But now see he starts to slacken again instead of encouraged to do even better. His overall is 89%, largely pulled up by science and down by math.
We have see his math paper, save for the minor careless and interpretation errors, me and husband feel that it will be an uphill tasks to get the last two questions correct which consists of ten marks. My husband couldn't even solve any parts of those questions so we were relieved we got him a tutor. Those marks may not be worth chasing for, but a part of us still somehow stuck with the mentality that math is practice makes perfect and quite reluctant to let math pull down his effort in science.

Yawn yawn,
Son said it is common that students fail MS HA english exercises, so told me not to be alarmed that he just got a passing score. We feel that the materials are good, but the once a month compo is not enough. This exam compo topic was about snakes in the park and some class mates who attended creative writing classes had done it during one of their tuition sessions. So exposure is equally important too. I wonder if I get him to do more compo, will his school teacher agree to mark them. ....

fz

Actually I have even more complaints about MS English than Science. At least Science can copy answers in class then revise at home subsequently but English is a different ball game mah. My dd English is not improving at all, in fact sch English result sliding. And I've no way to gauge her school compo standard because hardly write compo in sch. But MS compo she didn't write well so I have bad feelings lor. seriously looking out for other centers.

These few days my dd is working hard on Maths. Her Maths result below expectation. Of course lah, other than school homework, she never practice a single extra question. Only ching cai ching cai look through school worksheets then considered exam revision done. Obviously due to lack of practice that result falls below expectation. So she is finally convinced she needs to do some extra practice.

She's self studying. Completed one chapter on percentage and now working on triangles. Sounds chim hor? I told her to try at most 5 mins for each question. If still stuck then flip to the back & look at solutions. Just don't ask me, my Maths no hope, still at p2 standard

Fz - ya..looking for a full time English tutor now..not easy to get one..apparently demand is more than supply

Yawn Yawn - I have the same complaint about MS English too...that is why I decide to get full time English tutor. According to her ex tutor who just quitted, she said MS Compo is good only for those that have strong command of English. For my girl, she tends to "overuse" those "creative phrases" and make the whole writing piece sound so weird. It is better to teach them to use only 1 such creative phrase per phrase. I also agree that compo writing is neglected in school and tuition center esp for those weak students..I think my girl only do probably one piece per month in school..

Now your girl is self-motivated..that is half the battle won..keep the momentum going...

My girl said she got the highest for Science in her class...we were caught surprised..I said this holiday we need to work more on lower block Science which we have neglected...come to SA2..there will be more topics to cover..so better start revising now...

Yawn yawn,
Perhaps this time is the first time he actually made improvement so son has good feeling about this MS teacher. I hope he gets the same teacher next year. He scored the -highest in class for SA and topped a few assignments in MS class, so he is very encour
aged.

Wow,your girl on percentage already! My one still holiday mood. We told him now has tutor, to just move on or whatapp tutor when stuck on math questions. Whatapp only if urgent school work.

Bebe,
Congrats on the science too!
For MS compo, so far my boy wrote one only, and the guidelines given and marking was way better than the previous tuition centre he was with. Thanks for highlighting the need not to overuse creative phases. My boy tends to only use minimal good phases. His vocabulary bank has improve a lot since we join two months ago, useful for paper two, but he still yet to see improvement in compre.

fz
She didn't go in order of assessment book topic. Just pick any topic she fancies to try. As long she covers all chapters eventually, I leave it to her discretion lor
Congrats on your boy's results!

bebe
I hope her effort is sustainable. I guess she is surprised by her own bad results too, so didn't whine when I bought a stack of assessment books for her to slog
Your girl's results are good! Congrats!

Hi Mummies,

My son's results drop drastically but good as he was very upset. Thus hopefully he will rmb the disappointment. He has asked me to train him on time mgt cos he was upset that he could not finished his Maths paper even though he knew how to do the questions. *Keeping fingers crossed*

I dont mind paying if the private tutor is good. Tot of trying out my gf's tutor, then she told me the tutor seems to be quite distracted these days and kept changing the timing. The tutor could not even set aside time to revise during her gal's exam period. Thus she is changing tutor. *Haiz*

FZ: You can ask either his school teacher or tuition teacher whether they can help u to mark his composition.

My son's previous yr chinese teacher and tuition teacher are willing to help out.

His Chinese tuition teacher said I should train him to listen to news as these days the listening comprehension is harder to score.

So far I dont have complaints with MS English. Guess his class is small thus the teacher has more time to focus on the students. As for MS Science, he just changed center thus still monitoring.

This June holidays will be assessment books' practice month. Need to revise what he has studied in the previous years too.

I doubt we will have time to revise everything next year. We can only revise on their weaker topics.

Back