(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi everybody,

Today's 1st day of CA2... next year will be prelim period... so scary.. Scolded my dd yesterday for not revising... and she told me to let her be so that if result no good, she will buck-up for SA2:confused:

good luck Valerie. Mine having last paper tomorrow and they can relax. They started around mid last week. :)

Thanks Chic_Lil & nat.

Good luck to you to, nat..

Today Science and Tomorrow Chinese, asked her about eng and math, she said will definitely pass and don't seem to be very about this CA2...:(. They just don't appreciate CAs which will help them in their global marks.:rolleyes:.

Hi all,
Long time never post. Today is the last paper for CA2. My gal just got her maths paper 1 - only lost a few marks (thank goodness). This CA2, I've left it pretty much to her. No time to coach so she relies on herself and her weekly tuition/enrichment classes. I go through maths sums with he (weakest subject). Weekdays nights, she just watch TV and R&R. No point last minute burn midnight oil... If good then results will be good. Keep fingers crossed. I told her if she wants to try DSA, then better do well in P5 cos the results will be used.

Hi Mummies,

It has been a while since I last came in. My son still has Maths and Science papers next week.

Yes, I also cannot believe our children will be in Secondary in 1+++yr time.

My son still so relax while I am wondering how to plan my timing for next yr sept revision since I am working.

Good luck to those who are still having their exam :)

exams over yesterday! yeah!

math results out. despite getting 39/40 for paper 1, son got 80ish for math. have yet to see the paper. he did manage to hit my desired scores, but seems that he is usually hit by 2 'unsolvable' problem sums of high weightage plus some careless mistakes. highest in class is full marks.

there is a dip in english score - he dropped from high 80 in SA1 to low 80. quite puzzling as CA2 no compo, so expected him to do better. yet to see the paper too.

cross my fingers for CL and Science!

got back results for my younger son (P1). he manages to get full marks for chinese test (surprise! but the paper is easy and they had a mock paper earlier) but only 1 out of 4 marks for his EL grammar cloze passage (with helping words)!:confused: besides conquer Cloze, any recommendations? i dont remember getting EL assessment for my elder boy...just doing quite many exam papers back then. his EL standard is better than the younger one.

all of us here first time having kids undergoing PSLE??

No CA for my gal but she will be having mock CA papers after the term 3 break. We will be taking PSLE first time next year, time really flies..

:(CA2 result out... so sad. 57/95 for English... Her Grammar close, Synthesis and Transformation, appropriate words and spelling really pulls her down... This was supposed to be her best subject and now even her weak Chinese got 74/100. She managed to get 85 for both science and math and she is very happy as she had little revision. Sigh... now I am very worried, it seems the PSLE standard is really a great jump for her. o_O

valerie
have you seen the class mean score? maybe the paper is tough?
class mean for chinese for us is 80/100. my boy only have 77. he barely pass his compre section.

your girl should be quite strong in math...since she barely prepare and still can get 85. my son with math tutor and this round managed to get 88, 3mark improvement from SA1. looking through his paper, he could have gotten an A* if not for a careless mistake on a very basic questions which he read wrongly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi zhen,

No, the teacher did not reveal and my dd did not bother to ask around. Only told me the highest for math is 98/100. Sigh... I must admit that this year, I was busy couching my P1 dd, leaving my P5 dd to "swim" on her own.:oops: Any good revision book on Synthesis and Transformation to recommend? I need those that teaches the rules also. I find it difficult also...:D

hi... my ds also didn't do quite well for English. Probably the papers is tough too, the killer part is the synthesis n transformation, cloze and comprehension. He told me people in his class pass the synthesis portion, probably around 5 out of 40 of them. the P2 was almost marks and he just managed 90 only, pretty badly done.

nat.
P2 90marks? my boy's P2 only upon 95.

mummies,
holidays over....exams round the corner again!

next year coming! :confused:

Hello zhen49 & all other mummies,

Now that psle is over ... we are all gearing up for sa2. Been trying to coach dd1 p5 maths for the past few weeks and it is really an uphill task ... why are those people in the problem sums so free, keep re-distributing fruits, marbles, cakes etc or keep counting legs of animals ...... i feel that i am re-taking psle myself ......

cookiepie,
SA2 EL LC and Compo is over. next week is CL LC, Compo and EL/CL Oral. then a weeks' break before all papers.
my uphill task is chinese.....sian.

zhen49,
Chinese is another planet to concur in my gal's case but Maths is the closest enemy since day 1 ...her mind stalled whenever she sees numbers... Have you checked around whether this year's psle chinese is difficult or easy? ....if this year easy, next year likely to be difficult.....

Gal is having LC and compos for both languages this week ...paper2 timings same as your boy. This thread is very quiet ...wonder if other mummies are busy with sa2.....

Hi mummies, can anyone refer a maths tutor who is able to do 1-1 tuition at Jurong area? For my P5 girl (next year PSLE).
She has been an average student but now unable to catch up re problem sums (not usual I know).
Class going too fast for her and teacher does not have time or energy to coach weaker students.
Want to start only in end Nov-Dec, not last min rush for SA2 ... too late for that!

cookiepie,
wednesday is the first paper for us. son managed to go through his sch/tuition stuff for revision; we are still in the midst of doing past year papers MCQs as part of revision - his cloze passage is quite weak.
have not got the time to revise math sch stuff yet, so hoping weekly tuition homework is sufficient. allocated the day before math paper to look through the sch files.
chinese, can close one eye. finished revising and doing past year papers MCQs. hope he maintain his MCQs as he tends to be pulled down by compre. intends to drop higher chinese next year, so now sourcing for normal chinese tuition centre as the current centre normal chinese class clashes with other tuition timing.
last week, spent most days on science as he does not have tuition so no weekly revision. needs him to do well in this to pull up his chinese scores.

i heard that this year psle since math not so tough and science too, chinese may be the deciding factor. haiz...not good news for potato kids like mine.

natnic,
your kids sch dont have supp class for weaker students? my son was told if need to clarify doubts on math, to stay back on a certain sch day to join the supp class.

Hi all,
Long time never post. I find this new look very difficult to "read" and took some time to figure out ; p

Seems like some schools have already finished their exam and can enjoy the break last week. My kids exam are only starting this Thursday. I was tearing my hair out doing maths problem sums with both kids. Sigh.... more hair turn white liao.

I did not receive any email alert for all the threads that I watched, mm... wonder why?
My dd's had finished her paper 1 for both languages, paper 2 will start this Friday and last paper will be 30 Oct. Don't think she can finish her revision. :(
:)All The Best To all our precious...:)

zhen49,
My dd's cloze passage also weak leh... you know the one where they show a word (with either wrong spelling, tenses or form).

Mummies,
I can't wait for the exam to be over but dd's exam will drag till next Monday, meaning this coming weekend still cannot relax..... Do you all know of any English grammar,synthesis and phrasal books books to recommend? Dd is really poor in synthesis....

cookiepie,
the one with wrong spelling one is not cloze passage ;); it is editing.

my son will have higher chinese next tuesday. will be his last paper for HCL. he agrees to drop next year.

my son uses EPH and casco synthesis books. he prefers EPH. recently i bought The Alternative Place synthesis book ($21!!! luckily get to use the 20% pop voucher). will start him on that this holiday.

zhen49,
So that is editing. Then I suppose cloze passage is the section whereby the kid fills in the blank with appropriate words? That one also difficult leh....

I will go and take a look at the alternative place synthesis bank at popular. Thanks for your recommendation! Nowadays assessment books are expensive. The 20% popular vouchers are now given out at weird timings...no longer during june and dec holidays.

Exam finally over today... I can pack up my assessment books and put them in the drawer (for now....)
School holiday start then take them out again. This Dec need to be more disciplined, cannot let her watch TV all day and R&R for 6 weeks. PSLE will be coming in <1 year time.

Results start coming in. So far only got HCL. Still waiting for the rest. Hopefully no major surprise and can maintain or improve her class standard.

all results in but i don't know them as i letting son choose if he wants to tell me. doesn't want to say means no good lor
i feel lesser concern now as psle draws nearer as i guess i am more worried that he will get into an ill fitted sch and unable to cope than him unable to get into his dream sch. )
class mean for math is 92.
not sure why they set easier paper. won't the kids get complacent?
from bits and pieces son gave, compo below class standard. even his english. oral is his saving grace.

My gal's result are not in completely..certain papers only got marks for section A, other got section B etc...but so far, she passed all the section. I am worried about Chinese results as her MT teacher had told them before their Paper 2 that some students failed their oral and also did badly for compo, hence they had to score well in paper 2 to pull up the overall marks.
My gal was disappointed with her Science MCQ, she got only 46 or 48. She was aiming for 54. She hopes she did well enough for Paper 2 to pull up the overall marks to above 75.
School term will close in 2 weeks' time..how time flies..

Hello mummies,
Now we are all counting down to the school holidays. My gal showed slight improvement in her results but will need vast improvement in the months ahead if she wants to go to her desired sec school. Her 作文 and compo still sucks. I intend to go to the popular book fair at suntec next month to "top up" the supply of assessment books, heehee......

I am giving her and myself a break from school work this few weeks..........休息是为了走更远的路.

this week last week.
parents, will you increase the tuition next year? i am thinking to as it is the last lap already. son is agreeable to having it as a form of weekly practice.
currently he has chinese, chinese compo, english and math. thinking to add science.

zhen49,
I am thinking of sending my gal to chinese compo class next year coz her chinese overall marks got dragged down by it every year since p3. But she already has tuition for all 4 subjects currently, she will sure scream if I add on 1 more.....sigh.......

cookiepie,
maybe you can consult your girl to try out short term. even if she is agreeable, to find a suitable centre with vacancy and suitable time slot will be another challenge.
we intend to start the group tuition for science in december (at tutor's place, next block from my place!). will try out for 2 months to see if he can cope with the heavier workload next year.
chinese compo writing is a must for us ba. because i am of the view that chinese still need to continue even after psle because sec sch chinese will be tougher, so besides training for psle, it is also training for sec sch chinese in the not so distance future. :rolleyes:

My gal did well for this SA and I am pleased with her performance and I think we are heading towards the right direction..just have to keep motivate her and encourage her till the PSLSE exam..
We have dropped Maths tuition as hubby is coaching her personally..for English we will continue with the current English Tutor as I feel that she can "understand" my girl's weakness. As for Chinese, her results was not satisfactory..she did poorly so I am getting her a tutor to target on compre, and compo area. For the time being, my other child's Chinese tutor has offered to help me but probably only for this school holiday as her schedule is already quite packed. I hope she can continue when school reopens..if really cannot fit, I might drop Science tuition and guide her Science myself so that we have more time for Chinese tuition. The only problem with Science is I need to find good assessment books with good answers.
I understand that next year when school reopens, the school will speed up teaching in Feb. I have to remind my gal not to be complacent and continue to work hard for better results..

Have not been to this thread for sometime. It seems that everyone is beefing up for tuition classes. For me, I never thought of that now . I don't know if adding in more classes will help. as from my son's results, the most worrying subject is English. Any mums have any suggestions on how to improve??

YL - EL has a few components, which area do you think he needs to work on? Getting a tutor is a tricky stuff, if you want to engage, better do it soon and start the tuition before school reopens. Need to make sure that the tutor and work together with kids and parents, timing cannot clash with school and other activities. My gal had English home tuition since June this year, and the tuition went parallel with the English tuition in MS until end of SA2. This is because I am not confident if the home tutor is good or committed. True enough, the first tutor could not commit full time after 2 months and we took another month to source for this current one..her schedule was also fairly tight as she has a few students taking PSLE and O level this year. We are continuing with this current tutor as I can see positive improvement in her English..despite her request to change the timing next year. She prefers to teach on the weekday but not for us, as my gal stay back in school 3-4 days per week. We are still sorting out..and I have another 2 young kids to take care..gotta plan the schedule carefully to minimise disrupting their schedules.

Have not been to this thread for sometime. It seems that everyone is beefing up for tuition classes. For me, I never thought of that now . I don't know if adding in more classes will help. as from my son's results, the most worrying subject is English. Any mums have any suggestions on how to improve??

You can try engaging a tutor for them because English is hard to improve my oneself.
You can drop my niece a text at 83777565
Her name is Genie

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Mummies,

In a couple more days, we will welcome 2014 with stress as we prepare our kids for their PSLE.

Happy New Year in advance :)

Hi mummies,
Happy lunar new year!

Unfortunately for us, our little horse is sick. Missed whole of this week's school and visited doctor twice.

The homework is piling up. Had discussed with him to drop 1-2 tuition. He has 4 subject's and a Chinese compo tuition. He wanted to drop both Chinese but that is his weakest subject. I agreed for him to drop paper 2 if he shows competence in his sa1. He refused to drop English as he likes the teaching. He was the highest in class for sa2 last year despite an average compo results and so he claims tuition is beneficial hence didn't want to drop. Math is necessary and helps as the tutor is reachable 24/7 to clarify his doubts. Recently added science and he finds it quite good for weekly revision.

So now still monitoring if he can cope. Intend to drop both languages tuition by June, do u think is good idea?

How's everyone? Been busy these few weeks. Just finished ca. Mat I know how do all mummies prepare for the Ching psle? Any pointers to speed up the process of revising?

Chuayl
Past weekend was madness. Trying to catch up on p6 lid science revision and p2 kid Compo revision. Ca starting this week. We skipped a few tuition lessons and time spent at home really helped to speed up revision. I suggest dropping the chinese paper 2 tuition in Apr and English in June but he refused. With exam every two months, how to do proper revision of all subjects? He wants me to promise to revise with him thoroughly if he agrees to drop. But I can't. My p2 boy streaming this year and he needs guidance more as last year honeymoon period, the first few tests this year already gave me heart attack, Chinese, compre 6/10, compo 5.5/10. Playtime is over!

Hi zhen49,

I am in the same situation as you with a P6 and P2, but it seem that I am of no help to my P6 girl as the math questions get tougher and I did not read her science notes. Mainly I was busy with my P2 instead for her Show and tell and oral for both languages. Sigh... I felt torn..

Btw, any of the kids here need to wear brace, my P6 was advised to wear it... :(

My gal did badly for CA1, as expected. I did not scold her for the poor results, but she seemed to take it a bit hard on herself and feeling demoralised. Nonetheless, this week holiday we only spend half a day going through some revision. Trying to get her back to the "working" mode again..
Thinking of "sacking" the English tutor and teach her English myself..my gal is terrified of the current English tutor who likes to "nag" and "scold" her. My gal said she will rather hear my nagging than facing the tutor. In fact, I find this tutor also not really committed and passionate..In a dilemma as currently I already got my hand full on her science and starting to work on her Chinese..told her that I will ask the tutor to leave provided that she can get better results for CA1 and SA1..well..CA1 she did not do well..so I hope she will work hard on SA1...

Valariesun - my gal will be doing her braces after her PSLE..been seeing orthodontists since she was in P4 for review and recommendation. After consulting 2 orthodontists, we decided that the best time for her to go and have her braces is after her PSLE..the school dentist also made the same recommendation when she was in P4 and said they usually made referral for P6 students. After comparing the fee between govt and pte dentist, we think that it will be more economical to go for pte, as there is no subsidy given for govt dental treatment and the whole treatment will last at least 1.5 year..traveling time has to be a major factor.

Hi zhen49,
I can understand your situation. I need to put concentration on my p5 girl and always ask my p6 boy to revise on his own. Seems that he can do it ok, but still I feel that there is room for improvement, provided that I need to go through the revision with him. Luckily, my boss understands my situation And predict that I will need to work from home starting from June. Hope that there is still time to catch up by then.

Valerie, bebe,
Did you both have teeth issues since young? I have but mostly settled through pluck extra teeth jetted out at of L places. My husbband has very good set of teeth. My boy loos like his bunny teeth a bit protruding. But nothing from dentist.

Chuayl,
Son is not a math person. While heWhile he likes Sci, he is not so much into it. I feel he is more of a jack of all trades. He is not a biology, chemistry, geography or history person. He likes social studies and poetry but not into it kind. So nush he said not his cup of tea.

Smop this Saturday. Anyone going? Son going for experience only. Clash with acs open house.

Napfa come upto too.

I feel we lucky to be still under old Compo and oral format. Not so much transition issue.

FZ - Both hub and I have no teething issues..but problem still come in cos DD inherited the wrong features..haha..She takes after me with bigger teeth but also takes after her daddy with smaller jawline..as a result her teeth are overcrowding, and she has serious problem of overbites. Though her grandparents think that we should leave it, since she is coping fine. But over the years, we can see that the overbite is becoming very obvious, affecting her face features.. We will start treatment end of the year after PSLE..

I am not attending any of the Open house or DSA..I know my gal's limit so I doubt we will go through those routes...though we have already shortlisted some schools but I think we will consider them again much later, or at least after prelim..cross the immediate hurdle first..that is SA1. This time I find that there are many topics to cover in SA1, esp for Science..I am worried there will not be enough time to cover all before the exam. How I wish the school can stop all the supplementary/remedial activities now..very difficult to squeeze in time to do revision on weekdays. I have another gal in P5...some of the P5/P6 science topics are overlapping..I am intending to cover them together so that I do not have to go the same topics twice..but is a challenge to find common time slots for the 2 sisters even though both are in the same school..hiaz..

For mummies who know me...you all know what happened to my gal's English tutor. In a way, I am glad that she is gone, but I am hurt by what had done to us, abusing our trust. To think that I have always treated her kindly, giving her gifts on teacher's day, xmas and CNY..and yet she was such an lowly, despicable being, very unfit to to be a tutor. I am also angry with myself for not listening to my gal, not able to protect her and let the tutor mentally abused her for so long. For the past few days, I was so boiled up with anger whenever I thought of the incident..sometimes I even woke up from sleep and wanted to call that tutor and give her a piece of my mind. But now I decided not to waste anymore time...the anger really sap out all the positive energy and I did not want to stoop at her level and be like her. She will have her karma one day. I have decided to take over teaching English myself..since my gal does not want anymore home tutor. Going to focus on building up her confidence level now and hopefully we can do better for SA1..At least , there is one good thing that came out from this episode, my gal is now more willing to listen to me as she knows that there is no turning back and no one can help her except herself.

zhen49 & bebe75,

So sorry for not making myself clear, my girl is diagnosed with scoliosis and therefore need to wear a brace. Really feel so sorry for her. Not only must she cope with the stress of PSLE this year but also the discomfort of wearing the body brace for at least 18 hours a day...:(

My girl is very inconsistent in her result and so far, her aim is just to get 75/100 which is equivalent to A in PSLE. I have been helping my P2 girl as she has a lot of show and tell, podcast, for both languages. I have not sit down my with P6 girl since last year. I felt so incompetent.

Valerie
Except for Sci, which iI went through before ca, alll leave to my son n his tutor. Am busy with my p2 boy. He is having chinese oral n Compo this week. Next week Eng oral, following week Eng Math Chinese test. Have poetry recitation n response like show n tell.. Weekly Ting Xie counted for exam marks too.

Back