(2002) Any 2002 babies?

fz, yes , I have been quoting to her not so much of a DSA. But I was just telling her if 2 persons with same marks appealing for the same school. They will probably look back from P4 results. So P4 results I feel is crucial.

In any case, she is not in the right state of mind even if I suppressed the fever and send her to school. The fact is her fever did not go down even after 2 hours of brufen. So no choice I just have to let go and report sick. Hope she will score a miracle like last year and get a 94 for SA2.

Just painful to hear her mumbling in her sleep about the math question. Explaining the reason she derived it that way with eyes closed. And half way through she was giggling and laughing in her sleep I almost thot she really fever till brain damage.

The teachers advised me not to send her as if she does not do well in her poor state of mind it will affect her.

CL,
on the contrary, i think P4 results are only crucial for streaming and also for GEP students. for mainstream, even if DSA, i think the sch will look at how much impression the kid can give on interviews ba..plus all those portfolio thingy (cca, certs etc). because different schs have different standard on exams, so not really fair to look at P4 results when appealing. maybe they look at sch name! :p

your girl seems stressed..talking in her sleep. my boy did that last year before chinese exams. health is more important.

can't they give her a supplementary paper or derive from somewhere else (class test?). maybe sch should give a mock paper and if anyone sick, they should use it as a guage...do they do that for PSLE (using prelims)?

Hi all

Received all the result ! Chinese 40/45 highest full mark
Science 87 highest 95.5 think her aggregate will be pull down by her math !

Now waiting for this coming Friday to collect her report book!

Congrats Jolene..yr gal did well.

My gal told me half of her class flunked science MCQ..how is that possible? Either the paper is tough or the teacher is not teaching effectively or my gal has heard the news wrongly??

Anyway, i do not wanna bother so much abt the marks now until I see the actual papers (either Fri or Mon)..meanwhile I just let the gals and myself R&R and enjoy this "guilt-free" period...haha..

bebe,
half the class flunk science MCQ?! so killer?! maybe sometimes teacher do teach, but they dont teach analysis skills and the questions set have quite a lot of those question with very close answers (eg a)A and B, b) A and C etc). i find such questions very annoying. considering there are 30MCQs and each MCQ is 2marks, the weightage is quite high.

i am now in R&R mode too.
happy.gif

For science paper think my ds' teacher did pre-warned them that is a killer paper. Thus I can't hold high hope for his Science paper result

jolene,
my boy sms-ed me his overall chinese results. 88. within his expectations. he told me earlier he believes he still can get band 1, but less than 90 marks. he is expecting similar for english...cross my fingers!

any mummies with boys can recommend Chinese book titles? haiz. found out my boy's chinese marks is below class average.

avrilf, class average is 90marks.
my boy same as me..he said he was very happy with his performance until he heard the class average. husband said we should not look at class average - so long we are happy, that is important. but grading is based on bellcurve next time leh.
we were very happy that the compo that he got was something we had prepared at home, so he managed to score at 14/15, but his paper2 pulled down his overall. he got 39/45 for his paper 2. his oral conversation also pulled the score down. lowest in class is 82. now i wondered if it is because we focused a lot on compo...his tutor focused a lot of compo and i only use assessment books and guides to help him on his paper 2 prep. he prep oral by reading guides and using what he learnt in berries previously. i asked husband if we should go back to berries, but he feels that the tutor is good too, but we cannot afford to send for 2.

and he told me after the paper that the paper was easy. haiz...now wondering what is the fate of the other papers that he also said not difficult.

fz

Wow, your ds class standard very high, 90 is considered high but only average in his class

Whenever I ask my dd after each exam, she will always tell me it's easy. But her results say otherwise so now I discount a lot when she said easy

yawnyawn,
want to check with you, how is the homework load for kumon like (for K2)? there is no teacher to teach right? when is the right time to stop? once the kid master the 4 operations? and any reason why your dd2 didnt take kumon when your dd1 benefitted so much from it?

thanks.

fz

I find kumon workload quite heavy. Initial level, my dd was given 10 pages each day. As she progressed, it was reduced to 5 pages because it got tougher & tougher. No teacher, just doing worksheets in center and at home. Need to repeat worksheets at least twice for each level.

I decided to stop her lessons for 2 reasons. 1stly, she's starting p1 the following year & I don't know how heavy will be her school workload so I prefer not to overwork her. 2ndly, she reached decimals (can't remember which level is that) and I thought that was more than enough for a K2 child. I prefer to expose her to primary school's heuristic style of questions.

My dd2 was scared off watching dd1 struggling with daily worksheets. So I send her to abacus instead. She has speed but poor in accuracy. So in building foundation, I think kumon is better than abacus based on my kids' subsequent performance in primary school

thanks yawnyawn,
10 pages of homework seems a lot! your girl must be very motivated to follow through for a few years.
for stuff more than the 4 operations (or even for division), isn't it too early to learn? will the kid still remember? do you think for average kid, 6 months, can cover up to multiplication?
my K2 boy uses his hands to count and for same equations, he cant remember that he counted before and started counting again (eg 5+8 and 8+5). so thinking if kumon is useful.

fz

I just asked my dd1. She said can still remember decimals, it's the concept, abit like swimming, once get it won't forget. But somehow multiplication table is different lor, really need to memorise by hard. Don't know why my dd2 has been learning multiplication for years & can still get it wrong. She learned, forgot, re-learned, forgot again. That's the part where I think Kumon repetition is useful. My dd1 kept repeating those worksheets till multiplication was completely drilled into her whereas dd2's abacus didn't require that sort of repetition so somehow her retention is not permanent.

dd2 心算 is quite good, she can calculate 17+8 in her head if we ask her. So abacus is not entirely useless lah. But her accuracy is really bad. Always add wrongly when doing school worksheets even though she should know the answer. I've been 'threatening' to send her to kumon, haha!

But repetition is very tedious lor, might want to discuss with your k2 boy, get his consent before embarking on kumon. My dd2 refused to give her consent.

yawnyawn,
i dont think ds2 will agree if i said 10pgs of homework! lol. hm...will tell him have homework daily just like his piano ba. his number sense is no good. i am giving him math homework at home, sometimes 3 pages and he already will negotiate for 2 days. but in that 2 days, sometimes he gives me more pages back, doing more than what i asked him to do.

from your feedback, looks good, may try out. hope they dont have restrictive timeslots. thanks again.
happy.gif

Hi all

Just collected my dd report card .... Disappointed as she dropped 15 marks in her agggregate! She has 3 band 1 and one band 2.... I did not scold or nag at her! Just pass the report book to her and I just keep quiet!

My p1 DS was nominated as star pupil! He will be going on stage to collect his cert!

My P4 gal results for overall has slipped except for Maths. She has 60+ for both English and Science, and I feel that is a worrying sign. Not sure if I shd do 1-1 tuition for her. Her English is quite bad esp the compre (2 marks!!!) The passage is nothing too difficult. As for Science, her weaknes is still the OE sections..and I find that she has prob expressing the answer scientifically, except for those which I think I had kept repeatedly asked her to memorise eg Gas has no fixed volume and it can be compressed...etc. I think the only way for her to score well in Science is to memorise model answer (Sigh).

Actually I am more upset by my P3 gal's result. Her Chinese is nothing out of surprise cos I know she will be borderline pass. But her Maths..she had full marks for both Section B and C..and yet she failed her MCQ..and MCQ is not really a tough section. I only see complacent, laziness (refuse to do working) and sloppiness (choose the easier way out by either dikam dikam or the most probable answer). Really gek sim with her attitude towards study..though she got 77, she feels proud that she was one of the few to score full for both section b and c. She was also one of the top student for English. I told her daddy I am running out of my wits trying to teach her, she is smart but lazy..and that is the worst attitude. I rather focus on my P4 who is weak but hardworking.

bebe75
i get my boy to memorise answers for common science questions too.
i looked through his science papers yesterday. not difficult, so i think this year's class average will maintain at a high figure of 94.

your P3 gal did very well for her English. encourage her to hit a higher score for Math...she can do it!

nat,
are you still collating?
my boy's science paper is still with his teacher. hope he can get it back this week so i can forward to you for collation.

Hiee,

Anyone interested to have Science Tuition in Bedok? There is a Pri 4 Science new class in Kakit Bukit CC (Bedok). I will be enrolling my son for this class. However, it needs 4 students to kick start this class.

Interested?

Thanks.

juz me

I noticed CC classes seem quite hard to form, don't know why. Chinese classes at CC are popular though

you may want to try mindstretcher if CC can't form a class? I think there are new centers opening in tampines 1 and bedok point near you. Not sure about teacher's quality though

Juz me - my gal just started tuition with Mastery Science. not sure if it is effective but I heard that they are revising P3 and P4 Science for this term to gear up for the coming SA2..which I think is good. At least my gal has 2 hrs of science revision weekly..otherwise, she will juz chuck the subject aside..she does not like the subject. So far, she enjoys the lesson better than I teach her..

Juz me

She goes mindstretcher. Because her school hardly give out any notes, so mindstretcher meets my requirement in the sense that there are plenty of notes & worksheets. Shortcoming is huge class size and teacher is just rushing to cover weekly content. I'm okay with that since my priority is the availability of notes & worksheets. Fees are very reasonable too.

Depends on what's your objective? If your boy need more detailed explanations or individualised attention, then Mindstretcher is probably not that ideal lor.

bebe

Same here, my dd fired me as her Chinese tutor. She prefers to go Chinese tuition than to let me teach her. My Chinese is very good leh, but she spend most of the time arguing & negotiating what to write & learn. I gave up after struggling for 3 years. Go tuition also good for me lah, I more 'eng' mah, only need to pester her 'have you finished your homework?' haha!

My boy said he score full marks for his chinese test. Lol. Even his tutor can't believe. We have not seen his paper yet.

Hothotmum
My boy's chinese tutor focus on his compo. After every piece of compo done, I made him underline the flowery phrases used and record it into a booklet which I categorized into different sections like a phrase hand book. I find that as he has use the phrase before, he can remember better rather than getting him to memorize straight from guide books. His compo is around 22/30.looks like that is his max. He used to get 16-18/30 early this year.

Hi,

Please pm if you are interested on the 2011 Top School Chinese Exam papers.

Nothing was written on the papers.

Selling at $8

Collection - Bedok, CityHall and Centrepoint

Bought from Jeremy but don't need anymore.

Sorry

Hi mummies , all must be busy preparing for exam now. My girl has one week more to her SA2 from 9 - 12 Oct.

Well I am looking at her enrichment for next year.

Anyone tried mind stretcher writer toolbox and science ? Would like to get the feedback before I sign up.

Have anyone tried Confucius Mandarin Institute ? I will be moving to clementi so looking at all the possible enrichment classes within clementi mall. Would like to try Confucius for my turning P1 boy next year.

yoyo!
so quiet around here.
everyone busy with sa2 prep?

CL,
why u not signing up your P1 boy with your P4 girl chinese?
i also have 1 P1 boy next year. :D
looking for english enrichment for him.....

FZ - my P4 gal is having oral today and tomorrow..I did not really sit down and go through with her. Thanks to my P3 gal's chinese tutor..she offered to give me some notes and shared with me some pointers how to score on Oral. Basically, at P4 teachers wants to see how well they can express their opinion..so apart from stating the facts from picture, they shd talk abt their feeling and opinion.

I am actually more worried abt her Science..still quite weak..i sent her to tuition class in the beginning of Term 3..and she said she did not enjoy it cos the pace was fast. I feedback to center and I gather that my gal's foundation is not strong, hence she has a lot of catch up to do.

bebe75,
for science, if your girl cannot catch up, she will be overwhelmed under group setting.

did you get the Nail Those MCQ for your girl? and get her a basic science guide to read. i shared with a friend that can nail those MCQs, it is already 50+ points in the pocket.

for Oral conversation, points that are already in the picture conversation will not be graded - my boy did not know and he only managed 6/10 for conversation in SA1. i hope that this round he will get non relate conversation/picture topic.

Fz - the tuition class is quite a small group..about 5-6 students. I think MCQ she shd do ok if she is not careless..I have to remind her to watch out questions that "play with English" eg "Which of the below are NOT TRUE EXCEPT"....it is the booklet B that is the killer. And the tuition center focus more on critical processing questions and she finds it hard to apply the concept to the question.

Her Chinese oral conversational topic was to describe a memorable event that happened to her in school..I asked her what did she tell the examiner..she refused to share with me..hiaz..

fz

I can't help much anyway, so I leave entirely to her to revise & prepare.

I did contribute a small part by giving her a checklist & sequence by exam date. Not time table though, she couldn't keep to a timetable so a checklist will do in her case

Hi all, long time no chat...

My dd exam starts from 29 Oct to 1 Nov.

I am totally guilty of not involving in her study this year. She is very busy with supplementary class and remedial class.

Just to check, does anyone know of any website that provide free Primary school exam papers? Already bought the 2011's paper for her to do in student care, thought of printing some past year papers for her to do at home.

Thank you.

Back