(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Wow.. All your kids did well! I am so envious.. My gal has not received her results yet and I am not too positive as she has already told me that she felt the papers were tough. Furthermore she did badly for SA1.. So that might pull down the overall score..

She has been staying at home since last Friday.. As the sch is preparing for relocation.. They will be moving to new sch tomorrow so I guess I still have end of the week to ponder over her results.

I realise that when she is home, tension between her n me will build up.. Dunno y.. She is so emo over petty stuff and this gets into my nerve all the time..told her dad that sometimes I really dun wish to see her black face at home.

Hi FZ

I do not know whether its a girl 'thing' her class boys did very well but gals there are ppl who scored below than that
sad.gif
according to hubby the prob with her she cannot visualise the question and plus there are a few tricky questions.. Will check with her FT during PTM which area she needs improvement ....her math result not consistent.. At times she can score full for test and did very well for past year paper but come to the exact paper she seems not to do well... Sigh! Any tips to improve in math?

FZ / Valerie,
Yes, it is 4 lesson per month @$50. My #1 had been this coach since K2. Although he has completed his gold but i still let him to continue so to make him excerise. He is putting so much of weight.

He just completed 1500m recently and awarded with certificated.

Tomorrow will be my son's result day. I am hoping that he can get into the second class.

Given a choice, will you let your DS/DD to take higher chinese. I am still considering as I do not want to put too much stress on him.

Jolene, i understand what you meant, my dd also have the same problem.

For math, my dd only managed to finish her paper before times up and she said that the last question was a guess and check so she tried using formular instead of guessing which she is said her answer differs from most of her friend... Sigh... Just keeping my finger crossed.

Today is the last paper, Science and phew!!! finally. Just have to wait for her result...

BP, really cheap and good. Anyone staying in the north have a good swimming instructor who charge so resonable to recommend?

Thanks.

bebe,
my son also emo. i think have to do with pre teen period. any slight comment, his replies will be negative. i had to remind him to respect that he has no right to raise his voice even if he is frustrated. during exam period, when i nag at his standard/attitude of work, he will slam shut the door. i would insist that he keep the door open and it is family policy unless the bro is playing piano or if he is changing or switch on aircon, else all room doors remain open in the family. his moodswings are like stock market.

Jolene,
i think maybe majority girls are better in languages and boys in math? not sure how to improve math as i am poor at math too. my boy can think better than me. my husband said will have to zoom into more problem solving practices.

BP,
your boy got Gold in swimming? congrats! my boy did not even take bronze. cannot hit the timing. lol.

why second class? this result cannot qualify for first class? very good what! so competitive?

I will let my boy take HCL. he is currently attending TWO tuition for chinese! one for compo and one for Paper2 with that amount of commitment already, we will definitely let him try HCL if given the opportunity as i believe it will expose him to more HCL. he will only work if sch demands it...if not, he will not bother to enrich himself at home. then we will decide if want to drop by end of P5.

Valerie,
my boy got Guess and Check wrong. told dh that he has no number sense, and guess and check tend to be time consuming, so predicatbly, my boy tried to insert some formula and got it wrong. lol. your dd same as my boy!!

fz,

my dd also attending 2 chinese tuitions like yours but i find that it didn't really improve her chinese vocabulary. A lot of words still cannot read without the hanyupinying, needless to say the meaning of the words. She told me if take HCL, will have to stay back in school for extra lessons.

But given a chance, i will do the same as you. I guess parents always want to test the ability of their kids.

For swimming, just want to let them learn how to swim for leisure only...

Sigh... next year another dd going to school. Wonder how i can manage.

Next week, MTP session. Actually, what do we get out from meeting the teacher??? Usually, i have to wait like an hour just to speak to the teacher for like 5, 10 mins and nothing the teacher said to me is new.

Valerie,
we only started Paper 2 tuition 2 months back. he needs the weekly practice for compre. this round he got 8/9 for compre which we are happy. he lost marks on word order because he has no 'CL sentence sense'. lol. we got a private tutor (expensive! ouch!) to focus on Oral and Compo. the tutor spends 10minute reading with him a CL book with no HYPY. she gets him to try to guess and interpret words that he is not familiar and then explain the meaning of the sentence. in the long run, i hope it'll help him in better guessing some new words.

according to sch schedule, HCL students need to stay back on Mondays. Other students need to stay back on Mondays too for supplementary CL. so no difference in number of extra lessons.

me too...next year another ds going to sch. during son's MTP early this year, the teacher focused on his character development, team building issues. teacher remind us to help him in computer literacy as he is lagging behind his peers. nothing much was discussed about academic except CL (about 10-15min). didnt get to meet the Math or Sc T. the form teacher spent >20min talking to my husband. lol. so i will be sending him again this round...as when i used to attend previously, teachers only spoke to me for <5min! haha...

BP - re HCL..it is only useful if yr child is going for SAP sec sch right? I spoke to my #2 Chinese tutor..she said if kid enjoy chinese and able to cope well for the other subjects, she will definitely encourage her students to go for HCL I think for my #1 case, I will rather she focuses on the the main 4 core subjects even if she likes Chinese a lot.

Swimming - My gals used to be under a coach charging $60/4 lessons at Bishan. They enjoyed his lessons but due to weekdays commitment, we had to quit after getting their bronze cert. He is quite good and popular, he just increased his fee to $70/4 weeks recently.

FZ - Exactly, #1 mood swing is like stock market..find it so hard to manage. Hiaz..and sometimes it gets into my nerve that I have to snap back at her and scold her harshly..

Community service - I am thinking to get my kids to involve in community service during the sch holiday..anyone knows where or how I should go about doing it?

Congrats on kids with good results. My kids have one last paper left tom and haven't got any results back yet. Can't wait for exam to be over. So far, they say the papers are not difficult so hopefully it means they are well-prepared and no surprise for me.

re: HCL
Dd said she wants to take HCL because she says only the 2 best classes take HCL. So if she doesn't take HCL, she won't go to the best class. I'm glad she has the motivation. She has been taking HCL since P1 so I guess it won't require much more effort than before.

Any mummies heard of lewin at cck?

My friend told me that the class include practical experiments for building up science concepts. Hope to get some reviews..

hi mummies, I'm back. Been a long long time to get into this chatroom. Had been reading but no time to reply in office.
sad.gif

congrats to all mummies that exam is finally over and to the kids with good results. My ds also gotten back the results (no papers they say cannot bring back worr). Marks dropped and he was quite disappointed especially he flopped his compo. Told him what done cannot be undone and just learn from this lesson. because he KEH KIANG always like to 'try new ways and thinkings' in his writing and ended up flop. Told him exam and class work is different loh. Hope he learn his lesson. total marks for all not know yet, but looks like not able to maintain his 'position' liao. Alot of 'black horses' running up this year, which is good for the kids. This teaches him not to be complacent too. For his class, in fact the girls outperformed the boys.

Swimming - Been attending the swimming lessons in Safra Club. Course fees is about $180 for 10 lessons (for Safra members) which is quite ok, inclusive of entrance fees already.

Congrats to all mommies whose kids did well in SA2
happy.gif

Mine not up to (their own) expectations. I told them exam is over &amp; done with, if they're not satisfied then they should work harder next year
biggrin.gif

<font color="119911">Now school holiday programmes... any suggestions?</font>

bebe

my dd1 volunteered in NLB. Not really community service. However, they do organise library events regularly so she will participate &amp; help out the children events or sometimes write book review to recommend certain books available in library.

bebe, fz

my dd1 very easily 'pek chek' too, slam door, storm feet, cried easily, speak to me in a rude tone, raise her voice at me. Really drive me up the wall! Just scolded her big time again yesterday for her tone of voice. And I told her I'm going to remove her bedroom door in our next house if she continue slamming her door now

Hi yawn yawn,

Your dd sound like mine. Mine everyday from the moment she wake up will give me that kind of look and frustrated sound. Ask her to take something for me, forever never do or take it. Ask her to hurry up doing her thing and she will give you that kind of stare look or raise her voice.
At times, really make me boil!!!

Hi nat long time no chat...

Where is this Safra Club? Do you know how much they charge for non-member?

Oh, forgot to update, my dd had her first menstration in OCT during school hours. Luckily i asked her to carry extra panty and pad with her since July. No pain though. She seem quite calm about it but i don't think she totally understand what is happening. Just told her what is going to happen next. Btw, she is wearing padded inner wear already.

Sigh...time flies, dd is now a "young woman". She is experiencing tiny pimples on her forehead, anyone has good pimple wash or cream to recommend?

Thanks.

Hi Valerie,

That was fast. I rmb mine only came when I was sec 2/3.

She can try the Clean and Clear cos it is for younger skin. Body Shop is not bad too but a bit dry.

Yawnyawn: I signed my son up for Junior Avian Keeper @ Jurong Bird Park. It is expensive as it costs $214 for a day experience. Hope he will enjoy as the programme looks interesting.

http://education.birdpark.com.sg/juniorKeeper.html?target=public

Am also still looking around for interesting and affordable school holidays programmes too.

By the way, there is an open house puppet making session on 10th November from 11am to 5pm at the Goodman Arts Centre.

Came back from results day..will only get to know DS class next week. However, need to decide on the subject combination first. Choices given are 4S1H or 4S. DS initial choice was to take 4S as he is not motivated to study higher Chinese ... However, I am trying to psycho him.. I would like him to take up Higher Chinese so that he will be immersed more in Chinese culture and values ...

same here today is my son's results day.
i am very surprised that this year report book did not show the individual score for each subject and just with the banding. I did see the final aggregate and the percentage.

I wonder if all school practise in this way?

Will only know the class next week but his teacher told me that most likely he will be in the second class.

Anyway we are given the choice 4S1H but will be taking 4S.

Avrilf,
How to find out out more about the puppet making at Goodman Art Centre?

Dd only got back science paper today. She got 88%. Will need to know what is the highest and average grades in order to determine whether her grades are acceptable. We hope no surprise for her other subjects so that she can get into the first 2 best class.

My boy didn't do well for compo as he wrote out of point. He opt for continuous writing. One of his friends whois good in writing coincidentally wrote about the similar story line from the continuous writing and also got low marks. Not as in just pass marks, but theypscore a band lower than their usual class work scores.

Hi FZ

You get to see the compo script? My dd sch don't even reveal the result the FT just comment above average or very good something like that so it's difficult for me to gauge what went wrong
sad.gif

Jolene,
We got back the paper for sa1 not yet for sa2 so not sure where to improve yet. Teacher said out the results and average class score. But from what he told me, I know it is out of point and story realism and logic wasdflawed.

fz

How to be out of point by writing continuous compo? Is there a clear theme from the sentence provided?

My dd said can write anything leh

The story goes like this. ....at night, you were studying and heard a loud noise coming from end of street. He went on to write about going to investigate and found a burglared house. Same as his friend. Both scored one band lower than their usual class work. This is based on what my boy said.have yet to look at the actual question. I personally think that he should have write about car or gas explosion, major traffic accident. Unlikely burglar will make such loud noise unless they ram the gate trying to escape in their car.

I normally ask my son to choose the picture compostion. It is because he is not googd in english and I am afraid he will get out of the point.

YenLing,
My DS scored band 2 (80plus) for his English, It was be pulled down by his paper 1 - composition according to his teacher. The only way is to get him to read more.

Yen Ling - I asked my #1 to read more books..she does but only selectively...and sometimes she will just skim through cos she is more interested in the plot than the language. Sometimes I will share with her interesting phrase or description in the books..she will just acknowledge..

#2..P3 this year is an avid reader..reads all kinds of books and she remembers the phrase and vocabulary...and her English is stronger. She is able to understand the language context better than her sis and that helps a lot in comprehension parts. And she likes writing..can write non-stop that I have to get her to time herself for compo exam. For #1, writing has been forever a struggle..she hates writing..

This time for SA2, the results are not out as they are busy with school relocation. Prob will get the results before end of the week. Surprisingly, I am not as kan cheong as SA1..dunno y..maybe I think they have tried their best and this year, I did not really manage their works, leave it to the tutors and themselves to cope.

BP &amp; bebe75,
Thank you for sharing your views.
I will tell my son to read more during this school holiday.

By the way, did any mother introduce reading newsapaper everyday?

Dd just got back all her results. On average, she scored ~91% for the 4 subjects. Hope that the results are good enough to get her into the best class.

Yen Ling,
My gal reads newspaper since last year but not everyday. As a start, I encourage her to start with Sunday times cos the content are not as serious so won't "kill" her interest. But my ds is not interested in newspaper at all.

Mummies,
How about watching news?
I get my boy to watch now that it is after exams. But my husband said that he mnews nowadays are too seex related.

I ask my gals to read the little red dot which they subscribe from the school..the contents are catered more to their level..

FZ - my gals are not into news..but shows like reality crime watch they do not mind..

Hi fz, my ds has the similar topic as your child, abt hearing a sound while alone at home,, and he write abt burglary too. Ya a sound might not be burglary if not will hv many onlookers. My ds lagi super he wrote burglary in the house he is in and he still able to get out of house to ask for help ... Ridiculous right? So when he came home an told me about what he wrote, i told him it is going to be 'gone case'. Hahah

Hi Valerie, sorry for late reply. My ds is taking swimming in yishun safra. Non members should be approx $60-80 more expensive then members bah. I didnt enrol membership, only my hubby joined and tag a child at abt $60 a year i guess.

Hi bebe, how to get hold of little red dot? Undertand need to orser via schools right? My kids school nvr ask them to buy.

Recently my ds told me can order newsapers he will read. But i doubt he will. i was reluctant because firstly i dont read papers but online :p i wont want the papers ended up newly sell to garang guni or used to wrap thing without even reading them. Hahah

As for reading my ds enjoys but not my dd. however i realise my ds hardly have time to read with the school work and activities taking up most part of time. Ended up i had nagged him to complete the tasks instead of hogging Onto books. Seems like indirectly i had distant him from reading....
sad.gif

Bebe
My boy reads LRD too. I find watching the news quite effective as they also have subtitles and aid kid in pronunciation of the words. But still cannot get over the contents.

My boy complaint that LRD stories are out dated. It is good for brushing up language, but not much on knowledge of current affairs knowledge .

Nat,
Saw his compo. Surprised that he can still get 15/20. I would have gave him 11. Class average for compo is 16. Quite some unanswered questions in his st and he can still sneak back to bed after a trip down to police station! His story is too ambitious,like some mystery novel! Told him to be more realistic next time.

Hi Nat, thanks for the info.

My dd only managed to score 86 for EL. 79 for CL. 87 for Science and 96 for Math. Actually, the CL's mark was being pull down by the oral and Comprehension. Overall, i am quite happy with her result.

Improving CL - my dd was told to read more Chinese books since she was in P3 but we are not successful in achieving that.

Nat,
How about getting the free newspaper Today / Mypaper? The language is simpler more suitable for this age group.

Dd did well for chinese this time. She told me she scored 14/15 for her chinese compo because she used many hao ju zi.

hi fz, think i would have given him 10-11/20 too for my ds compo. think they have banding for their language and contents and he scored band2 for these, so i estimate his marks propably 12-14 range. the school never disclose their compo and oral marks since P1, so we only can guess and estimate. Yes, his compo is always ambitious and 'unrealistic'. I told him he is writing a compo for exam and not a novel. His style of writing has always been more applicable to novel writing which is not practical for a local exam. That is 1 reason I find reading too many novels causes this. Thus trying to stop him from reading besides alot of school tasks and activities. :p

DS told me english Paper 2 was very easy. They even have pupil scoring full marks. As for chinese compo, also unknow but teacher told him he improved abit compared to usual compo. First half year, his compo was very good scoring 14-15/15. this semester, the teacher was surprised why he had dropped so much to 11-13 range. The reason is I had stopped guiding him how to write a chinese compo. Thus marks tumbled down. I am not saying I am good in chinese compo but guiding him how to make it a smoother flow. For Chinese I still can guide abit but for english I am totally out because my vocab bank is even poorer than my ds, and I am always lost in eng compo, like my sch days. I never score for eng compo in my sch days, always borderline marks. :p

MD,
congrats on the stellar CL compo marks! my boy got 13/15. that is marked based on sch standard. if marked based on class standard, i think he probably gets around 10-11. one of his friend in tuition class, same sch but different class said that a lot of classmates failed CL compo. so the sch's CL standard in general is not high. their A/A* PSLE for CL is below national standard.....hence my constant worries.

Nat,
i faced the same too! lol! i made him do a reflection of what went wrong in the compo. what i like about his sch is the teachers gave back both his compo writing. we can see stars on good phrases, wriggly lines on unsuitably used words or sentences, arrows for missing words and phrases and question marks for unaccounted situations. both EL and CL has similar markings. very good for us parents to reflect with the kids what went wrong. for oral, we also have detailed breakdown. for last oral, my boy got 6/10 for CL conversation and the teacher through PTM told us what went wrong with his conversation. this round, he managed to get 9/10, improving based on what the teacher feedback to use during SA1.

schools should be more open on such feedback for the good of the students.

for both compos, i no longer guide my boy as he has tuition. however, his CL tutor has been trying to ensure that his story flows in a logical manner, but his EL group tuition only spends 20min writing every session with minimal feedback. the weekly writing improved his language, but he lost marks based on story/contents logic.

Hi fz, every compo in class the teacher will make copies of good ones for the kids to share. All have to do corrections by re-writing after gotten the markings. Likewise for this exam compo need to do correction in school. However, i had never seen his all SA2 papers, ds told me is streaming papers so cannot being back. Hmm....

Hi MD, TODAY n MyPaper are always gone early in the morning. Maybe will ask him to read them online.

hi Nat,
oh yes, my boy's teacher also distribute good compos for them to read. what i like about their system is peer marking. my boy get to mark his peers' compo and see what other area of improvement needed as well as see how other write. they have 2 peer markers each and the teacher will do one last round of marking. salute the teacher! really time consuming event. and they have a marking rubrik. my boy usually get 16-18/20 band for his class work.

streaming papers cannot get back? think should be sch policy only.

my boy used to read ST online too. online easier as he can use dictionary.com concurrently. think i should get him restarted during holidays. but for current affairs knowledge, i think watching news still very effective. just that these days, SG news are too racy.

for compo, my gal is also doing the peer marking system. For good phrases, they will highlight and they also provide comments on improvement area..I think this is good as they help them to learn from one another..

My gal has no contents in writing..sometimes I think she just write blindly without thinking..saw a copy of her writing, narrating a scene where she was knocked out after a car accident..and she could still go on describing what happened while she was unconscious...hiaz..

Anyone has suggestions on what are the kinds of assessments to buy for P5 next year? Esp Science..since this round is upper block

natellehcim,you can ask ur child to read MyPaper from the website. Actually these days, it comes with Strait Times.

Back