(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi been long time no come into this chat
happy.gif
been reading quietly via my phone but no time to come in here....

Hi fz, today my ds chinese oral also about beach.

Being in a new job, i hardly have time to revise work with my kids and time flies, before i realise, exam week reaches and is too late to do anything liao. Ds has alot of activities and homework, also resulted no time and chance for any revision. Find that he has slackened alot alot and become off focused. Cannot imaginr how the grades going to be like
sad.gif

Hi fz, ds also no tuition for science and is his favourite subj too. He has english enrichment since young but feel that his english is still bad ;( quite fustrated over this too. Chinese also drop drastically thus just started him with a simple tuition hope to use it as a refresh lessons for what he had learn in school.

Nat,
Just found out from m boy that the tester forgot to register his marks and only called him back after the next student. Then the tester only asked his register number.my boy did not reconfirmed his name a wgainst the register so if input marks wrongly then his bad luck! Really a lesson learnt for him.
Found my boy this year slacken too .
Both his language also not good despite tuition. Math he can grasp but loses marks to carelessness n illegible hand writing. Science so far so good as his teacher will willingly help him on questions we stumbled when doing exam papers. Science is the only paper he willingly do.

fz - ya..my gal also very emo..talks a bit will get upset..so I rather wash my hand off..
Natellchim - I said if I push too hard, both of us equally upset and the marks also like no improvement..maybe a marginal 1-5 marks improvement?? Then I might as well save my breath..n let her do her revision in her own way..and see how she fare?
At this point, I also think my involvement is too late to hv drastic results/improvement..now at P4, I think I can still afford to her her stumble and fall on her own..hopefully she learnt her lesson and be more responsible in her studies. If she is doing PSLE now, I doubt I can be so "kan de kai"

Hi mummies, i have the same situation too. My dd had her Chinese and English oral yesterday. She said that she did very badly for Chinese (pic on school general office).

fz, your ds so lucky, picked the right pic to revise.

It seem that my dd's favourite subject is science too. But just worried that the section B sentencing will loss some marks.

I am also worried that the nagging and scolding will hurt our relationships so have 70% hands-off her revision. Just explaint to her the importance of SA1 as she viewed it as not important.

Sigh....really glad that i have all of you here to share my troubled mind.
kao_smile.gif

mummies here are a great avenue for us to pour our sorrows and share our happiness..we prob shd arrange to meet up one of these days..since we have been chatting here since their p1 days..lol

i never revise the orals with my kids, knowing their teachers will do so. They took back a stack of materials from their teachers but I don't even know about it till 2 days ago. hahaha... today the elder is having chinese, while the younger is english oral. For the younger one, I had hard time with her, she is still living in her own world whereby all subjects flung she also bochap!

hi mummies,

Glad to know this thread start to be active during this period. Really got no time to go thru with them the Oral. Only outsource to the tutor to teach.Even I want to go thru with her still she would give me that kindl of look or answer that she know how to read or answer already. But her CL tutor mentioned she like to stop unnecessary which she might lose some marks it in...Haiz!

My boy's english teacher never even revised oral. they even removed the conversation component in oral. but they had to do presentation since Term 1....english, social studies, music, art.....so enough training on public speaking ba. :p

this year's compo pract is slightly better than last year. since term 1, my boy did 4 CL compo and 4 EL compo. last year only 2 per semester. hope to see more.
happy.gif

hothotmum,
do you have any idea how the tutor go through oral? my tutor only manages 2 oral pics in 1 hour....hardly enough preparation.

RE chinese tuition,
those with tutor, how do your tutors coach compo?

Hi all
This year SA 1 I leave it to the tutor!
My gal seems so relax as I didn't really push her this time round all I did is tell her SA 1 is coming u better 好自为之
Wait to see her result then see how she fares !

Fz,
For Chinese tuition, my kids do 1 compo every week. The tutor will provide helping words or phrases each time for the compo. These helping words or phrases will be given as part of weekly ting xie to help reinforce.

Jolene,
This year I also quite handsoff as I'm getting burn out myself LOL. Hope they can manage.

Hi mummies
When are the exam starting / ending? My kids’ are starting next Wed and ending on 14 May. After that I must get my gal ready for her overseas China trip with the school. This will be her first trip without me. Sob sob….

Hi Mummies,

I have been super tight up with work. Just managed to pop in to read what I have missed out during my absence. My son juz told me tomorrow Chinese exam has composition so I whatapps his teacher to confirm. Full chinese exam. Told him to revise w/o me 1st. revise his 黙写 for composition writing and 听写 for paper 2.

Since today is the 1st day of exam, he still has 4 more papers to go. So looking for next Thurs as it is the last paper
happy.gif

MD: So fast ur gal going on overseas sch trip? Think mine will be next yr. This year he only has 3D2N sch camp in July.

MD,
the tutor use compo from assessment books found in Popular bookstore or come up with her own materials? the portion on tingxie is good. however, i am the one doing so; the tutor only guide in compo and compre. and her materials are all verbal and handwritten. but my boy likes her la. she is flexible in agreeing to come in on other days and also sometimes exceeds the time to get the stuff completed.

my boy has done his CL compo today. his last paper is 14 May too. he is lucky once again that the compo that i had prepared him for came out. if it had been a non-typical compo, he would have fumbled. his topic is on Road Accident. i find that these topic is so much easier to prepare than non-typical topic like describe a person (eg my Father), or some classmates (eg arrogant classmates, prankster).

will you be following her on the trip?

avrilf,
the sch did not issue any exam timetable in advance?

actually grass greener on the other side la....i also envious FTWP. they have the $ capacity to send their kids to more enrichment. and that nowadays i can hardly help my boy in his studies, i can only nag him and really can tear my hair out if he decides to stick to his own schedule.

Hi all
My gal just started her English paper today and her last paper will end on next Thursday !

She commented on her English paper some easy some difficult I told her to move on as long she has done her best!

Will be having PTM on 18 May!

FZ: I dont rmb seeing it.Must ask my son.

Even the Maths teacher called to tell my hubby the 2 topics they will be tested on next week when my son was on MC on Mon.

According to my son, their English will only be tested on comprehension and cloze passage. Guess the sch does their exam differently.

My gals started their oral last week, compo on Monday..and today is Science..exam will end next week..what an ordeal..

As much as I want to leave the kids to manage the exam on their own this time, I still have my reservation..esp my P3 gal..She is smart but very lazy, and I am so upset with her that she is not listening to me. I said her knowledge will help her pass the exam, but not score the paper. She needs help on exam technique. I find that she listens to teachers in school, but not to me. I just send her to tuition center last week, and she failed her first mock maths paper. I was relieved that she failed that mock paper..cos she finally realises that she needs to work on her model. She does not likes to use model in her problem sum. I told hubby that this gal is not so teachable like her elder sis..teaching her stain our relations.,,it is better that I outsource to the tutor
I am also looking for Chinese home tutor to teach P3 and P4 Chinese. I think I am not a language person. My P3 gal Chinese is very weak and going to tuition center is too late for her to catch up. For my P4 gal, I just want her to expose more in writing, esp compo writing. Her flow is not consistent, even though she likes to use idioms.

Jolene - yr gal school has their PTM so early!

Avril - yr son is in GEP right? Maybe that explains yr his exam is different from ours..

wah,i was going to leave my girl to revise on her own but decided otherwise now as I am having cold sweat as I see her doing the exam papers.

So i am going to start my engine only this weekend and will list all the problem areas for the tutor to coach her.

Just have to bite the bullet from 9 till 14 May.

But I know after that I cannot relax because SA2 will be from 8 to 12 Oct for them as they are preparing for the temp site for P1 and P2 next year.

In any case,I feel my girl is not enjoying the work like she used to. So this June holiday, am going to plan something different for her.

Anyone keen to go for this Meet your Monster workshop ?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kids-In-Flow-Development-Therapy-Centre/261554213925733

Hi bebe75

Yes already know the PTM date during term 1 as the school normally give out calendar of event for 2 terms.

She had math paper yesterday... She commented it's difficult especially the problem sums.

Now left with Chinese and Science!

Fz,
My kids goes to chinese enrichment centre, not private tuition. They have their own materials. She has been going to enrichment centre (previously was Berries) since she's 5yo. We are not so worry about Chinese as it's her strongest subject. So it's just maintenance mode. As for this new Chinese enrichment centre, as we just started her this year, have to see the result in SA1.

School trip:
My gal is very excited over the trip. DH said she can't take care of herself at home, wonder how she takes care of herself in China! She also attending 3D2N school camp in June. So this school hol, most likely I won't sign her up for other holiday programme. Probably take some leave and bring them to the beach or parks.

Maths:
Do you teach Maths yourself? I find the text books and assessment books standard varied. E.g. For the topic of Fraction, textbook problem sums are very easy. But when I look at Flabian Ng's Problem Sums and Onsponge, the problem sums are much more challenging and have up to 4 operations. My gal wasn't really motivated to learn as she told me her school teacher didn't teach her such difficult sums and I'm wasting her time because it will not appear in the exam paper. Argh.... I checked with the Maths teacher. She said they teach only the simple methods in school as the school has to cater to slow or average learner too. But if the child can understand, I should challenge her with more difficult problem sums. But how to challenge her if she's not motivated. That's the problem with her school now as there has been no streaming. Hope she gets into the best class next year.

MD,
Oic.
any mummies have feedback on Just Education Chinese? thinking if it will be too kiasu if i send my boy for enrichment (to supplement the lack of materials) plus private tuition.

Math
i don't teach math. I don't even look at his files, textbooks or workbooks. i told my son that that whatever taught in school, he is supposed to know and if he does not, he has to approached his dad or teachers. then i use onsponge at home. there is worked examples in front as well as most of the answer sheets. he will read through and tries to attempt it. when he gets wrong, i will get his dad to teach him. if his dad does not know, i will get my son to write the question down and he will approach his maths teacher for help. so far he has met up with her after school once already.
i dont think my boy's school will test what is not taught. he has done some sch mock papers (past year SA1 papers) and manages band1, so math is least of my concern with regards to concepts (at the moment). his Achilles' heel is carelessness and handwriting. so no matter how easy the paper is, he fails to score, but moderate paper, he can survive.

your girl still no streaming for past 4 yrs?! is it cos everyone is quite good to start with?

fz, maisy

That's the problem with dd's previous school. No streaming till p5. Very hard for teachers to manage the pace since the disparity can be pretty huge within the same class. Too tough for slow learners yet too easy for advanced learners. 两头不着岸 I feedback to principal long long ago before but no effect leh. I don't understand what's the logic in refusing to stream? The results are all there since they rank everyone, so it's very easy to implement streaming

fz
I'm 95% hands off this year for all subjects & for both kids. 1st time since they started primary school that I feel so eng

Streaming:
I feel should stream by P3 cos P4 they will have to start preparing PSLE. Too late to stream at P5. It's like 'rest and relax' for 4 years then start to challenge them at P5? Dd is top few in the class. If she's put into the best class, then she will get to compete with the higher achievers and hopefully improve herself. Now she's not motivated cos she feels that she's already above average in class already.

FZ,
You are not too kiasu. My friend's kid goes to enrichment centre 3 hour per week + private tuition at home to revise what is being taught in the enrichment centre. She has been doing that since P1. My friend is Indonesian Chinese so they do not speak Chinese at home.

Hi all
Today is the last paper for my gal! Finally can rest and relax! Now keeping my finger cross over the result. This yearns really lower downy expectation as the syllabus is getting tougher!

today my boy maths paper. yesterday suddenly he told me he forgot how to do fractions multiplication!! i nearly fainted.
tomorrow chinese.
still have science on monday!
this weekend still cannot rest yet but lucky still have weekend to revise science.

bebe: you are right. He is in GEP. Thus giving me more stress. I cant revise his Maths paper cos this round they are not tested on Mainstream topics.

His FT mentioned that someone has scored full marks for the Maths exam.

MD: I think is norm for the child to be less motivated to revise. On Mon I asked my son to do additinal english practice papers and he called his dad to complain. Lucky his dad was on my side.

Chicken Little: So fast SA2 exam dates are out???

Jolene
u so lucky. I am still slogging. Today I have to drill on chinese comprehension. Tomorrow till over the weekend - 3 days crash drill for Math on Monday.

Avrilf
OMG this is so stressful. They are moving P1 & P2 to temp site in 2013 - 2014. So they need to prepare for this transition. My girl will take a break this holiday but am very sure she has to be geared the moment term 3 starts.

This holiday I will plan more fun for her then and also for didi who will join the rat race next year.

I am worried for my kids as they are like frustrated and see no joy in learning. So that is why I am opting for this course. Check it out.

7019637.jpg
7019638.jpg

hi mummies, my kids still have 1 paper to go for next Monday, that is Science. Today is Chinese. Oh, if not we are able to relax over the weekends liao.

Jolene, congrats on the good grades. How I wish my ds is able to minimise the marks deducted from the Paper 2. I told him that is the only portion he is able to use it and the LC to pull up his eng total marks, knowing he won't score well for his Paper 1 and Oral.

nat,
my boy still has science on monday too.
today chinese too :D

my boy feels that he can score in paper 1 for english. he opt for continuous writing and linked it with one of those scenarios that he had done before previously. there is no conversation component for his oral. paper 2 vocab is a killer.

mummies,
how to improve on vocab?

Hi all

Her Math dropped as compare to last year!
She only manage to score 80/100! Highest in her class 99/100! A little disappointed in her math result!

Hi Jolene,
Your girl has done well for english. As for mathematics, maybe the paper is difficult or maybe she makes careless mistakes.

My kids have just completed the exams yesterday. Next week will be the release of the results. I am keeping my fingers cross.

fz

For preschoolers, I find kumon good. My dd1 attended till end of K2. Comparing her to dd2 who attended abacus, dd1's arithmetic is stronger

FZ - I think Kumon is good in instilling discipline in kids. Kids were given worksheets to do and mostly are repetitive to drill in the concepts...and then at later stage..to step on their speed and accuracy. When my gals were young, I was sourcing for maths enrichment and this was my thought after reading up. The kumon assessment which we find in popular are very different from the actual class material. In the end, I choose Enopi Maths / MPM..as I found that was more geared towards thinking skill and my kids were enticed by the colorful tools..different worksheets will have different tools. However, I also pulled them out subsequently as I did not like the fact that the questions are mostly pictorial..not much words. In primary level, I think language in maths is very important. But it was a fun learning process.

sigh, today is my girl's last paper but she cannot make it to school. Having very high fever now. Looks like have to use her SA2 100% for math this year.Hope it is a blessing in disguise

Be be,
Thanks for the feedback. My elder who is currently managing well in math, did not go for math tuition. But his arithmatic skills are not strong, losing marks over simple add and subtract workings. So exploring for my younger boyI but still subject to my finance minister approval la! Ha ha!

Chicken little
Hope your girl get well soon. Some people don,t see the need for affiliationbenefits and academic dsa for better ability kids, but it is times like these that makes a difference.

CL - Take care..and I have to agree with FZ..that it is time like this that "desperately" need to rely on such progs..so much talking abt holistics education..but when come to streaming or assessing the kids...schools are still using merely SA1 and SA2 as yardstick..I had written to my gals' school and "complain" abt such performance measure..it seemed unfair to write off the kids' progress in their weekly worksheets/projects when all it does is to just depend on their performance on the exam dates.
My #2 was also running a fever on first day of exam...and I could not let her skip the papers..could not afford to take the risk. I wrote a letter to the teachers and asked them to excuse her to drink some water or use the inhaler if she did not feel well. I could not imagine if this has been PSLE paper..

Hi CL, hope your girl gets well soon.

today my kids having last paper... Think should have completed by now, because starts around 7.45am Hurray! But my ds was unable to get to sleep last night. Think he was quite stressed up and worrying about not able to do well in the papers, despite revising couple of past papers liao... So this morning he had quite difficulty waking up.

On the other hand my all-along bochap dd slept and played throughout the day and did nothing. She does not sense the urgency at all even she had failed all the previous tests.
sad.gif

I am more worrying her because her CAs and SAs marks will be counted in for the whole year performance. Whereas for my P4 ds', his sch will be depending 100% on SA2 for the streaming.

Today is last paper for my kids. Yeah!

Today probably getting back some papers today. Hope they can maintain their standards for SA1. Yesterday, we already quite switch off cos it's only Chinese paper. There is nothing much to learn for Chinese at the last minute.

mummies do you think this year will be the last year of streaming for your kids? i think so for my kid because the principal menioned that she will be implementing 2yr enbloc promotion prac - ie P1P2 same form teacher and so on. hope my boy will do well enough to stay at his current class. for him, term tests takes up 30% (they have no CAs, but has 4 term tests per year), SA1 30% and SA2 40%.

today is the last paper for my boy too! so fast! next week last week of sch!

last night my boy studied until almost 10pm! he was reading through the science guides. i told him to stop at 9pm to rest and he said still couldn't finish yet. science is his fav subject, so he quite On this weekend. i promised him 1 week break from today...then back to daily revision! lol! (he'll get his break in jun holidays!)

hi fz, for my kids' school, they had same form teacher in P1 n P2, then P3 and P4 same teacher too.. and P5 and P6 will have same teacher too.

Back