(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hello mummies,
Have not been here for awhile. Exams over for most mummies n kiddos. Jiayou for those still taking exams!

Mummies, what do you do with the textbooks and materials that were being used in the school year? Do u just throw them away? No need to keep them, right?

My dd Chinese standard needs improvement. Am still struggling with whether to send her to enrichment class or not. Any mummies with experience/comments on Tien Xia to share? Thanks.

bebe75 (bebe75)
The badge i get supplier to do for me, cheaper then Singapore. You know lah i got an online shop so all this thing i can get cheaper price. The pencil box i did for my girl when school reopen, all her classmates like it so i was thinking this will be a goodie bag that the kids will like.

Wow is so hard to orgaise party, as most venue her classmate had done it before so cannot repeat haha.

Hi aly_nat
My girl has been attending Tian Hsia since P1. So far so good. I like because:
1. Very structured program following school syllabus closely, normally one chapter ahead of the school.
2. Materials, eg new vocabulary are added on top of the school textbook.
3. Weekly 听写与朗读 from the chapter learned so to enable recognition of words.
4. One compo writing a month
5. 2 to 3 comprehension practise per month
6. Frequent practise on paper 2
7. Oral practise and mock oral test before every SA exam
8. Revision for exam so to prepare for paper 2. I like this in particular because the student will be given the summary of words( 词 ) learned. This is very helpful for quick revision at home
9. One free revision lesson before SA2.
10. Teacher will give progress report every term.

Having said all the good points, I also would like to state that the weekly ting xie could be quite pressurized because your kid will have to prepare 2 ting xie, one for school and one for Tian Hsia.
The above are just my personal view for your reference....

Horse,
Thank you so much. I enquired at Tien Xia today, and find their fees a lot more affordable than a couple of others. Your views are valuable to me. Now I've a better understanding of their course structure. I'm half hearted about sending my dd as I'm hoping that she will continue to manage her studies without external coaching. But if the need arise, I think I'll send her to Tien Xia. We don't speak mandarin at home, so her exposure to the language is limited.

Any mummies have negative experience with Tien Xia? If not convenient, can pm me.

Hi mummies

My P2 gal got back her papers yesterday..nope..she did not get band1 for all subjects (only Chinese). But I am still proud of her..She has shown improvement for all subjects esp English from 58 (SA1) to 69 (SA2). She puts in a lot of hardwork and her efforts finally pay off. I have to admit shamelessly that I did not manage to supervise her as much as I used to in the past. This year, I was drained out by my pregnancy and handling the new baby and shifting the house. I only nag and nag (scold and scold) her to do her weekly assessment revision.

Chinese
I have confidence that my P2 gal will be shortlisted to do higher chinese in P3. Of all subjects, we do the minimal for Chinese and we hardly speak Chinese at home. I only send them to Speech and Drama classes held in their School. Now I am thinking if I shd start preparing her for advance Chinese. Her weakness is sentence structure and I can see how this will affect her Compo in P3. I am also worried abt my P1 gal Chinese..she can hardly express herself properly in Chinese!
Is Tien Xia stressful? Our way of learning Chinese in the past was basically through memorising and I think that will kill the interests. But I do not want classes that only teach thru play..just like the S&D and HYPY classes that they used to attend. They expose them to the Language but did not help them to tackle exam questions.

I am so glad and grateful that mummies are sharing their views on Chinese enrichment classes here..thanks so much.

aly nat

Can you share with me the fees charged by various Chinese enrichment centre? if it is not convenient to disclose here..can you pm me?

Thanks so much in advance..

Tien Xia
Yes I heard it is academic driven and it works well for some kids.

My girl came home feeling disappointed about her maths paper. I was prepared she will not get above 90 since she told me half easy half difficult vs very easy during test. She got a 86/100. I also not going to comment as I have not seen the paper. I just ask her to reflect, if she feels she has given it the fullest then ok.

For Chinese , dunno why she also not happy, 92/100. I already can forsee the marks were taken away from the comprehension part.

English being the first paper, dunno why till now still dunno the overall score yet.

mummytiffany,

Last nite finaaly we can enjoyed psp, ds and computer together...we been looking forwards for this day very long already.

had your ds get his result? yesterday my son told me his english paper 2 result. He was rather disappointed coz he only get 41.5/50. He told me that he made a few carless mistakes on Grammer. We are expecting at 45 and above

hi mummies i intend to send my two gals for music & ballet lesson.Do you all know any good schools around Bukit Batok,Bukit Gombak or Chua Cho Kang area?
Appreciate your advice & comments!!

Hi baby99lon,

Wow... your DS results quite good. Is he attending any enrichment class?

My DS has not gotten his results. Still waiting for the results.

mummytiffany,
I am expecting better result than this coz he had not add up his paper 1 yet.
dont think he is able to get band 1. Hopefully he can get band 1 for math and Chinese coz he told me that both papers were easy.

His is getting English paper 1 result today. Just prayed hard for him.
Btw, your ds is in which class. My dd is in 2AM.

His just attended those neighborhood tuition class.

Hi Chicken little and Jolene,
Thank you for your encouragement.
Now We are waiting to receive the report book as by then we will know the oral results.

hi ladies,

sorry to intrude.

I'm considering to send my 2 sons, K1 and P2, to Berries. I wonder if I can get some insights on their programmes.

Are there many homework for P2 and is it stressful?

Do they place lots of emphasis on hanyu pinyin for K2?

Thank you in advance !

My son told me he got his Chinese results today. 65/70. He said that he missed getting full marks for comprehension. He forgot to write one word - de in his answer. Have yet to receive his results for English and Maths.

Baby99lon, is the English enrichment effective? Mine has been attending Mind Stretcher English lessons since Primary 1. His vocabulary has expanded as the children are made to learn new phrases every week. They are also provided with Little Red Dot for reading on a weekly basis.

Will you be attending the PTM on 16 Nov?

He used to be in wushu when P1 coz he find it very impressive. He quit when in P2 then joined his friends for floor ball.
I not sure if the enrichment class effective or not but I find him manage to answer more proper answer in his comprehension.

Mummytiffany,
How do you find Mindstretcher? Considering this for my kids too. Their English results has deterioriated slightly this exam so thinking how to beef them up.

mommies

I went MPH book fair at expo this morning. Books priced at UK/US 5.99 or below - $3 each. If you buy 5 books, further discount - 5 for $10. Very cheap hor. Books already super messy by the time I reached there, you got to dig a bit

Now my bookshelves seriously gonna burst. I bought a total of 63 new books over the last couple of weeks

Jolene
Just Education is opening a new outlet at Bishan. Fees are cheaper than Mindstretcher. I heard that Mindstretcher is stronger in Eng, while Just Education is good in Maths.

Hi bebe75
Thanks for your feedback. Punggol area has also just open a new outlet (Just Education) so I am considering btw MS and JE but MS at punggol had negative feedback from parents on the forum

Yawn,
I know what you mean. Mine also bursting. I'm trying to resist buying and borrow instead. Space constraints... What do you do with the old books?

maisy

I moved some of the simplier books to my mom's house so that my kids can read when they are there. At my mom's place, there aren't any interesting toys or stuff they can do so they suddenly find those books interesting again
biggrin.gif

Gd morning, mummies!

Bebe,
You've got pm.

Jolene,
Do u live in punggol/sk area? Just education in SKCC seems quite good. My friends placed their kids there. All happy with the school.

Yawn yawn,
dd1 started using Oral B kid's toothpaste (contain floride) from 3 to about 7. Now that she is older, she confessed that she used to eat the Oral B toothpaste cos it taste good! And I always thought she did spit out the paste. Faint!

I hv signed up dd for a 5 week enrichment class with Tien Xia. Test market, and also to see if dd will resist going for Chinese enrichment class. Even for this, I gotta cajole her into going.

Hv also signed her up for a one week church camp - Chinese ministry!!

my 2 kids used first teeth. Last year we switched both to Oral B as my son spit out Kodomo ones.

Mummies
I was asked to get a Europe brand piano for my girl. I not keen to get a brand new one as I really do not know when her interest will die off.

Any recommendation on Europe brand ?

My girl's student care seems to have a few activities. Have not plan for her what to sign up but she will have her Chinese Orchestra camp 1 - 3 Dec liao

Mummies,

My son's scores are within band 1. He was disappointed with his Maths cos he has made several careless mistakes. He was expecting to get 90+ cos he said the paper was easy. But he only scored 88.

I told him the easier the paper is, the more careless mistakes u will make. Told him to learn from this lesson.

Hi Yawn Yawn,

I am signing my son up for Lorna Whinston's The World of Roald Dahl 1 week class since he has most of his collection.The afternoon class has yet to be confirmed.

Aly Nat: You can drop the books at any NTUC Fairprice (http://www.fairprice.com.sg/wcsstore/FairPrice/images/catalog/webfiles/satb2010.pdf)

mommies

Thanks for your replies on toothpaste
happy.gif

My younger one is very prone to tooth decay despites daily brushing. She's using kodomo, I think not effective enough leh. Need to switch toothpaste for her

chicken little

wow, european piano! I can only think of steinway
what instrument is your dd learning in CO?

yawn yawn
ha ha she say lah. I must be able to afford leh. So can only look for second hand.

For chinese orchestra , she doing gu zheng. Just started in Jul only. Also waiting for her gu zheng to come in from China. Ha ha my mickey mouse pigeon hole dunno how to fit in all these man

chicken little,
I was told by a few people that European brands may not last in Asia's weather. Heard that the piano will crack after a few years, not sure if it's true so we decided to stick to the usual Japanese brands. Maybe with exception of Steinway since it's so expensive!

Yawn yawn,
Maybe you want to try mouth wash on top of the usual brushing? Where are her decays? If it's in between the teeth, then flossing would be advised. The dentist said that some people are prone to tooth decay due to acidity in the saliva.

aly nat - thanks for the email..all courses are so $$$, Sigh.

Today is the PTM for my kids, they will be getting back their report books today..somehow I do not feel the excitement anymore..ha ha..unlike last year.

Holiday prog
Apart from their usual guitar and ballet lessons, I will be getting them to go for swimming classes. I am also keeping a lookout on those one-day event activity and see if they can participate..

Toothpaste
I usu get the kodomo or Colgate or Darlie children series...no particular brand,.juz get whatever is being on sales..ha ha...

My DS just got his math results..44/50. I was rather disappointed..coz I was expecting at least 90%. He only told me those who failed math, scored less than him but did not tell me who had done better than him.
I also received partial of his paper 1 results (listening + spelling) for English..add up with paper 2 only 59.5 /70. I am not sure if he can make it to band 1..unlikely he can scored 25.5 for his oral and composition..at long as he got over 80 for English, i am happy already.

Congrats to mummies whoes kids does well in exam.
Mine got back his written paper, on the lower 90.
He still tell me about 90 what, so he is very happy already. 6 marks on maths due to careless in calculation, doing addition and subtraction. sigh..English is due to spelling of the word because... that alone cost his 1.5 marks in the comprehension *faint*. Others still unknown to me as he is not willing to share ..so will see it myself when he gets back his paper.

BP same lar, my son also like that only tell me how many failed for the various paper. But not those that did better than him.

I am also clueless what activities to plan for my son. He is currently going over to my parent's place during the sch holiday. How to prevent him from watching TV show on SCV whole day?!?

ya, same here. My dd always tell me so and so scored less than her. I told her must compare with the better ones and learn from their strengths. Maybe she is self-consoling.

Yesterday, I was with my gal friends. They said that nowadays the kids lack of resiliance. Mostly they were from broken families. There were cases of children committing suicides. Quite scary.

Back