(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Hi Maisy Daisy

A warm welcome to u....my gal is doing on revision now in sch....for maths they need to understand the concept and do lots of practses...

Hi Maisy, welcome. BOth my kids also same year as yours.
happy.gif

Same like Jolen, my ds is doing revision now in sch, for all 3 subjects.

Jolene,
Thanks for you advice. I will try again to spend an hour very night to sit with her when she is doing her homework or assessment and also let her try on her own to answer the question first.

Halo mummies, I need help to solve a math sum:
If A + B = 40
and A - B = 18
then A = ?
What is the working for this type of sum for P1?
Thanks.

hi Valerie, just add up the 2 equations

A+B=40 --> (1)
A-B=18 --> (2)
(1)+(2),
(A+B)+(A-B)=40+18
eventually B-B will be eliminated, hence
2A = 58
Thus A=29

nat, 29 is the answer but i do not understand the logic and therefore could not explain to my dd leh, so "pia seh".
kao_confused2.gif

Then what is B?

no prob. Me also don't know how the explain such thing to a P1 kid when come across such qns... All along thought using try and error or guessing method... then recently my ds' teacher taught them this method, so I learn from there also loh. :p

Hope now you've know the way how to explain.
happy.gif

nate, thanks. I think i need to go back to school... Felt so helpless when i can't answer my dd queries... Mummies of this century, not easy leh...

Hi Maisy Daisy
Welcome to this thread!
Nat,
Wow u sure know how to tackle maths! I cannot imagine teaching my girl in maths coz im very bad in numbers!
Val
wow, wat a tough questions for Pri 1!

joanne, ya i agree, when i saw the question, I was like blank...

Ha.. 9 Oct, so early. DLS finished all their syllabus already???

Joanne
that is very very early leh

Mine is 28, 29 and 30 Oct.

My gal MC for 2 days later still have to go school and pick up all her stuff. So will know how did she fare for her maths test which send me going lala

Hi Valerie,

For the math question, think you can use model to solve it. Think it is easy to explain it with the model.
Draw a comparison model, A longer than B.

A : |____________________|
B : |___________| 18

2 units = 40-18 ( look @ the model above, the sum of A & B subt 18, you'll get 2 equal units.... Hope you can visualise it...)

1 units = 22/2 =11
B = 1 units
so, A = 29

To help your child on math, you need to know how to use the model. It is important, must learn together with them as we don't learn that last time.

Hi
9 Oct - MT & EL Oral.
13 Oct - EL Paper 1 & LC
15 Oct - MT Paper 1 & LC
27 Oct - EL Paper 2
28 Oct - Maths
29 Oct - MT Paper 2
Btw, can mummies tell me wat is paper 1 & 2 and why split into 2days for EL & MT. Thanks! Im so stressed!

Hi Kim
Wow you sure know how to use the model to solve this problem. Im lost coz i failed my maths. My hubby teach my girl in her maths. Ya agree our time we dont learn to use model for solving problems lei. Aiyo so complicated now!

Thanks Kim, i was told that now the kids use model for math. But when i ask my dd, she says that teacher never teach. Sigh, i am really no good in this. Anyway, will try to digest what you have taught here.

Should the longer model be A+B?

Ha..ha.. Joanne, we can shake hands here... Feel like crying already..

Maybe the school should conduct lesson for the parents also. ha..ha..

OMG, 9/10 to 29/10, so long.. so stress.. so tired..

I'm also having a hard time 3 years ago... My elder is P4 now and my 2nd one is P1. So I can understand your problem. Think you need to start from basic. Un-learn old one and learn the new one. Start with text book 1A, there are two type of basic models that you need to understand and use it. If you can master it, most of the trickle questions should be able to solve. It is really not easy as most of us never learn before but we must master it before we can guide our children. Basic is very important to the child as they need to use model even in P6. You must learn faster & do more than them. You can go to Popular & grab an assessment & to do it. For problem sum, can try PSP by Fabian Ng( pls don't give it to your child but for you to do it. This book is very thick,may not be able to finish all but if you can learn something from it, I think it is already worth the money ). Jia You!!!

During our days, such questions are solved under algebra and algebra are only taught at P6 or Sec 1 level, right? Now, the kids have to start applying models to get the answers from P1...*shiver*

I think my gal will be stoned when she encountered such questions. Hiaz...Not sure if she can visualize the model that 2 units = 40-18.

Valerie, the longer model is A, not A+B. My gal's school is teaching them the basic models to solve problem sum. Sometimes, I, myself, need some practice before I can explain the drawings to her.

ya actually model is very useful for the kids even up to upper primary. think we parents got to know abit how to use it... think another model is comparison model, guess will be taught later???

Kim

You are right, first thing that we, parent, need to do is to unlearn the old trick and learn the new ones, before we teach our kids.

PSP by Fabian Ng was also recommended to me by another school teacher. I had tried looking for it in Popular but was told that his current edition is only avail from P2 level onwards. The P1 level is no longer in print. That is why I bought another book on models. However, mummies can still go Popular to browse the P2 level, some of the techniques used can still be applied.

Joanne -There are 2 papers for Eng and Chinese..cos one of the papers are composition writing.

Talking about compo writing, another headache zones..hiaz..

I heard from my son that they need to do chinese compo as well. I am really afraid that he can't do well. His enrichment class teacher commented that his Chinese vocab is poor and really need to read up a lot.

I don't know what to do as he don't really like to read chinese books although we speak mandarian at home.

Kim thanks for sharing.
Bebe & nate, lets work hard together.
Anyway, do they have a topic call model in their textbook? My dd is too lazy to draw model...
Will go popular to look out for the book. Without all of you, i think i will be very lost.. Thanks so much to all. Ganbate...

Hi All,

For Model Drawing U may want to take a look at
FAN-MAth I-Excel Heuristic and Model Approach
By Fan Learning. Can get it from Popular Bookstore.

Just got a book from Popular.
It is titled :xiao xue shi yong wen duo gong neng zi dian. It is actually a dictionary of Essential Chinese words for primary levels.
It includes Pronunication, Radicals, strokes, Stroke sequence, Definitons, English meaning, etc...

hi Joanne,
Paper 1 is listening comprehension and composition. Paper 2 consists of Vocabulary, Grammer, cloze passage for both Vocab and Grammer) and Comprehension.

My son's school only has 1 paper for each subject. Thus I guess compo might not be tested.

There is actually a model guidebook approved by MOE. It can be used till Pri 6.

Natellehcim: I will be taking 2-3 days leave to coach my son.

Hi Valerie,
ya we need to work hard to help the kids.

Hi avrilf, hope I am able to take leave to coach my son. wait till I've gotten the exam time table and see how it goes.
happy.gif

hi avrilf and Natellehcim,
I think I will be taking leave to coach my daughter as well.

hi Jolene,
I have taken your advice try to spend one hour every day to coach her. But only managed to coach her for half an hour, after that she can't concentrate anymore, either sleepy or wants to go toilet, or need to drink water.. will come out with all kind of reasons.

Hi Sherlyn,

Don't be dishearten...at least she can sit still for half an hour...slowly increased by 15 mins interval..ur gal will get used to it.

Hi Sherlyn, bebe75,Nat & all mummies in this thread,
Thanks for your infor re Paper 1 & 2. I was busy the past few days coz my son is down wif fever due to teething. Ive applied leave already & planning to coach my girl in her coming SA2 in Oct.
Jia You to all year 2002 mummies

Hi,

My girl sa2 paper 1 next wednesday. Can any mum pls advise me how to teach her, as she always write picture description and not a composition. She dun have problem in SA1 but dunno why this term she keep doing that.

Valerie and other mummies,
Are your child's school using model already? My gal is not learning model yet. She is doing only simple problem sums using multiplication and division. I think I got to chiong to Popular to buy the model guidebook. I am also equally lost on model. BTW, do you think maths enrichment like MPM helps? I didn't send my gal to any maths enrichment as I prefer to home-teach her myself. But I feel guilty for not spending enough time with her as I work till quite late.

Hi maisy daisy, according to my dd, the school have not taught them using model yet. If you are teaching your gal then you must really make an effort to be home early every night or else it will be very stressful for you and your gal with so little time and so many topics to cover.

Maisy Daisy,

It depends on the school.Some schools start later in Pri 2/3.

Thus u need not worry. If not, maybe u can call her teacher up to check abt it.

Mine too I have not seen anything on model. I know this holiday they have a problem sum practice that is all.

My poor girl will have a chinese test first or second week after school reopens. Imagine she just had 1 not long ago only.

oh.. thanks for your advise. then I not so worry. I thot they started teaching already. Good idea to get the book and self-learn first. We as parents must know how to do it before teaching them.

Hi All

For my gal I have start teaching her model drawing using Fan Math I-excel Heuristic and Model Approach Assessmen t book where you guys can get it from Popular Bookstore. AS for her school they will only teach them when they are in p2.

Hi Jolene,
I also bought the
Fan Math I-excel Heuristic and Model Approach Assessment book.
I also get the MathExpress Speed Maths Strategies too.

Is the assessment book good?

Hi Yen Ling,

Its up to individual i find it good cos they do provide sticker in different colours for model drawing and my gal enjoys doing that..& with the model drawing she get to see the sums more clearly and also understand what is the question ask for....

Hi Jolene,
Thanks for recommanding Fan Math I-excel Heuristic and Model Approach Assessment book.
happy.gif
Really enjoyed all the discussion posted here. My son is in P1 and we are getting very nervous over his coming exams. But he is like bochap and keeps making careless mistakes.. **Arraghhh!** At least, I feel better now (that I am not all alone)..

Hi Juzker,

ya now got to gear up for SA2...stress! There is another book by Andrew Er & Joanne Er title is
Use of Heuristic in Problem Solving-its to learn strategies to solve commonly-asked problem sums. U can check it out at Popular Bookstore too..

Hi Jolene,
Thanks for the advice and yes, we bght Andrew Er's bk but a different title call" Maths Companion P1-New Syllabus" Will chk out this problem solving bk.
happy.gif

Now we are trying to draw up a timetable for him and told him that WE (him and us) are working towards a common goal (Exams).. (hopefully he is more motivated and dun give us a sian face..)

My son's SA2 is going start on the first week on Nov.
Last nite i went thru with him on the oral...Almost fainted when it come to the picture discription...His reading is still fine..but he just can't concentrate on the picture.

hi mummies, heard fm my ds that his oral is 28 Sep, and SA2 shall be 28 Oct period. Not sure if he's gotten the correct info. He told me the teacher showed them the schedule while running through with them what they have covered for the whole of last term since yesterday was the start of new term.

Back