(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Mine too no CA2.

This week also got show and tell. she just dilly dally and finished writing her script yesterday.

Hers is a choice between favourite food or favourite book. So she is going to talk about Diary of a wimpy kid.

CL,
I've not let my gal read Diary of a Wimpy kid. How's the content like? I told her I'd rather she read something else or she turn wimpy. As it is, she always whines and complains. LoL..

Maisy
I have not read it but it is really popular and the bookshop uncle recommended me.

So I just bought for her during the holiday. She likes it and you know I think she like the book Rodrick Rules which is the book she is going to talk about. It is about brothers always fighting. She must have felt it is so real as it is a reflection of herself and her brother.

Anyway before I could rehearse with my girl on her show and tell. Her index no. is 3 and she has done it yesterday. Phew I decided to go thru with her on Sunday and make her write the script herself

Hello mummies,
no long no post. How's everybody? Hehe, maybe I'm forgotten already
sad.gif

It's been 3 weeks since going back to school, and my dd is still half in holiday mood. Ask her to do a bit more and she give me black face
sad.gif

Re: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
This is a very popular book at the moment. I suggest u take a look at the book and judge for yourself if u would like your kids to read the book. I was at popular one day, and overheard a dd asking her mummy to buy the book. The mummy said :" nothing from this series. U r learning all the undesirable stuff!". Out of curiousity, I flip through the book. IMO, it's quite harmless if you dun put too much thoughts into the content, but I guess, I can understand that mummy's comments.

mummies,
Re: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
I didn't read the book itself, but my son loves it. So ended up we got the whole series for him. He likes it so much and have read it a few times.
To me, as long as it does encourage him in reading I am happy.

Maybe I should borrow from him and read myself too.

Maisy Daisy
The show & tell should be about birds since they visit Jurong Bird Park. Maybe the topic centres around "My Pet". Under Stellar Programme, I think there is a book titled "My Best Pet".

Maisy Daisy
If you go Popular to take a look, there should be Oral books by EPH.

There are 2 types, both by EPH, one is with CD (about $16). The other is without CD, they are different.

I find diary of whimpy kid undersirable too. I refused to buy for her. However, she borrowed from her classmates & read during school hours so that I've no control

Same for Geronimos series. I bought 2 for her initally because she said she's the only one in her class without a single Geronimos book. Then she received another 7 Geronimos books for X'mas yet still asking for more. Told her I'm definitely not buying another

She knows I like to buy books with awards. Whenever she asked for books I deem undersirable, I will tell her to wait till the author won a newbery medal
lol.gif

Yawn yawn
Same. My kids are recently heads over Genomino. Now my house has about 7 Genomino books. I told them that's it. I won't buy another. Typically I buy books that are classics and worth keeping like Road Dahl.

Hi all, very interesting discussion about books. My daughter received a Genomino book for her birthday but she doesn't like it. I introduced the whole series of Enchanted Wood (Faraway Tree) and Malory Towers, all Enid Blyton - she went crazy over them. Read and reread the entire series many times. I guess maybe girls prefer Enid Blyton and boarding school types of stories more, because I remember I was also very crazy over the same series.

Linette,
my gal loved the Enchanted Wood series (i loved them too!) too! but cant find them in bkstores. where did u find de Enchanted Wood n Malory Tower series? i borrowed them fm de national library but not all branches have them.

initially dun tink my gal liked Geronimo but after seein her friends read them, she joined in. however after borrowin fm my friend almost de whole series durin de Jun hols, she seemed to have lost interest ... perhaps overdose of it over de hols
happy.gif

Jh,
I bought my own Enchanted Tree series from one of the local bookshops. B4 my gal could read, I read it to her. I dun think she really likes Genomino but her bro's classmates are all crazy over it. So it's probably peer influence. My son's fav is still Young Scientists. I have subscibed for 2nd year + buy some back copies. He will carry a stack of Young Scientists out and read over and over again. I'm glad he found something that he enjoys reading.

jh,
my boy still likes Geronimo, but he has read most of the copies which he borrowed from friends as well as the library, so it is pretty hard to get him interested in any other fiction books. whenever i brought him to the library, he will go to non-fiction section; he likes books on recycling, green planet etc. Not sure want to buy Young Scientist cos he don't re-read; the one old set i bought for him, he read once and chuck it aside...:p

Linette,
i love Malory Towers! :D

maisy

My kids love young scientists too. I've level 2 & 3 for year 2009-2010 & level 3 year 2008. They read and re-read, well worth the money
biggrin.gif

Recently, I asked my son to read the Jigsaw jones story as I find it interesting and the words it used is also suitable for kids around 7 to 9 years old.

Yawnyawn
Agree. Now my kids science knowledge improved. They will use their 'knowledge' to test me. Haha..my son will tell me things that I didn't even know. Now my YS have all turn 'kiam chai' due to regular flipping.

jh: You can buy the Enchanted Wood and Malory Tower series from Popular (cos of the student discount!) Hard to find the complete series of Malory Towers though, especially when stocks for certain books are low.

fz: I love Malory Towers too - used to wish I can study in a boarding school!
happy.gif
Hope my daughter will not request to go to a boarding school!!

Hi Mummies,
Hi,

My son is in Pri 2. All these while - he is pretty weak in his languages - English and Chinese. Sometimes, he has difficulties in expressing.

English Comprehension - he can gets 1/10. Grammar also quite weak.
He does not read alot. Have to keep "nagging" at him to read...

Have sent him for English enrichment class - white board style - a class of 5 students for about 3 months. We do not see any improvement/result..... or is it too early to tell result ??

Now, toying should we get him a private tutor or should we change another enrichment class???

Haiz.... at my wits end - don't know what to do...

Any suggestions??
Thank you

Hi Juz me
My personal opinion is 3 months is too early to see significant improvement. Getting a tutor is more personalized and the tutor can zoom in on his weakness. But nothing beats reading widely. I realize boys prefer non fiction like books on animals, science etc. Perhaps you can get books on topics that he is keen in. Last resort, my friend use reward system to encourage her gal to read. My boy like comics so I borrow English comics from library for him. Although comics are not the best, but better than not reading at all.

Hi Mummies,

Hope everyone is doing well!

Yawnyawn and Maisy Daisy: My son oso loves YS. He never get tired of re-reading his books
happy.gif

By the way mummies, have anyone experienced your child's teacher correcting him/her from using American English?

Recently my son used Janitor instead of cleaner in his conversation. His Health Education Teacher told him not to use it cos it is American English and Singapore is using British English.

My son ended up asking me why he was wrong and what is the difference between American English and British English. I was totally dumbfounded.

juz me

which enrichment center is your boy attending? class size is small. I like small class size

wanna try out Kumon? They are offering free trials up to 2 weeks. islandwide so you can check out your nearest center

Hi Mummies,

FYI. This is the reply I got from MOE in regard to Amercian and British English.

The English Language Syllabus emphasises exposing pupils to and using Standard English, and this can include the standard varieties of English
used in various parts of the world. Thus, while we teach Standard British English in our schools, pupils are not penalised for the use of Standard
American English so long as it is used appropriately and consistently throughout a piece of work.

Maisy Daisy - thanks for your reply.
Currently on reward system. He is into Animal Kaiser (Arcade game). Have told him, if he finishes 1 chapter book, will give him 1 Animal Kasier card. He prefers to read thinner books.

Yawn - he is 3 house in Tampines Central - week-night. Is your elder daughter attending any enrichment class?

juz me

Have not heard of 3 house learning center. Is it in tampines central CC? or tampines interchange? Do you have a website for that center?

My dd1 is attending Sakamoto (started few months ago) and Chinese creative writing at nearby community center. After withdrawing her from icreative, yet to find another English enrichment for her

I'm keen in learning lab but reluctant to pay so much. Still considering lor

Jolene

My purpose of sending dd1 to Icreative is to learn creative writing. However, week after week, she just copied the sentences provided by teacher. I see nothing creative or any attempt to instil independent writing skills. My dd1 said she didn't learn anything new and the pace is slower than her school. A few of us (parents) withdrawn together, apparantly all of us gathered the same feedback from our kids. She was in the programe for 2 years

Nevertheless, their preschool programme is good. I like the phonics portion. My dd2 was in their preschool programme for 2 years too. Withdrawn at end K1 because completed phonics portion by then. K2 onwards is grammar/ vocab which I've more than sufficient materials to coach her personally

I would recommend this programme to preschoolers, less so for primary levels

Yawnyawn,
Did you check out those smaller English enrichment ctr? There are a few in Parkway centre though I didn't enquire. I'm signing up my kids for free maths trial at Kumon next few weeks.

maisy

Me too! so coincidental
wink.gif

I signed mine up for the English trial. dd2 went once & refused to have anything to do with homework worksheets. dd1 went twice, she's keen but I'm not. She spent > 1 hour at night (longer than I expected) doing merely 5 pages and this affected her bedtime. There's no time in the morning because of her school workload. After weighing the benefits against her rest time, I decided not to add on her burden & insisted to stop her trial right away. She bemused I'm a weird mommy who didn't want her to study too much
rofl.gif
Although abit paiseh to the instructor, wasted her time

Quite a few enrichment centers in Parkway center. Still researching which to sign up for. I don't mind small set up if it's good, prefer recommendation then just walk in myself

Yawnyawn,
I saw Growan's advertisement. Seems good but I dun have time to bring the kids for more enrichments. Can share how you teach your gal english writing? I ask my gal to read more which she enjoy anyway.

juz me

oic. hehe, you really like that center hor
wink.gif

Iwg26

Me too
happy.gif
She spends at least an hour reading everyday. For a slow snail like her, she manages to read at lightning speed. Besides frequent trips to library, I also stock up classics & award winning titles for her to read at home in case I've no time to replenish 'stock' at the library

However, she refuses to write at home. Hence, the only practice she had is in school

mommies

do your kids practise compo writing at home?

Hi Valarie, u can actually get it from popular bookstore. If your child's sch do subscribe to this mag u can join them which will be cheaper comparing to buying from popular. If u don't mind second hand one, the KSP website always got ppl selling. Or bras basah they also have loose second hand one. HTH

Yawn yawn, my ds does not like writing compo too. he can be caught sitting whole hour day without writing anything...
sad.gif

Yawn - hee... more like - did not check or look around for other alternative. I am still thinking whether should I change centre or get him a private tutor as his English is no good. In addition, he does not reads alot.... Haiz....

Yawn: Thanks for the link. Yes - I have come across Tamarind's blog. She is a very hands-on mother - I really admire her.

Chinese - hee.... still 3 house (MRC).

Hi mummies,

Do all your kids love Maths? My gal seems like no interest in Maths. I give her group tution for Maths and she told me she don't like.
How to movitate her?

Yawn yawn:I tried asking my son to write at home but he would just do it at his own pace and keep relying us on the word spelling. But if I ask him to do his assessment books, he seems happier and will do extra pages *faint*

hothotmum: Maybe you can buy cards to teach her on some topics and make it into a game such as snap. For example I have a set of fractions and % cards. I will teach my son the basic and also reducing the fractions into smaller numbers. Then we will play 'snap'. You can play a couple of games using the cards.

Re Fraction
Can ask how do you teach the child to differentiate which is greater or vice versa.
Eg. 6/7, 7/8,8/9

Personally I am confused.

Dear Maisy Daisy,
Normally, I will just tell my son to have the same denominator and after that can see the difference.

In some books, they actually draw into 3 boxes and divide the boxes into different columns and from there the kids can see more clearly which is greater.

You can try in excel, and you will see the difference easily. In this case 8/9 is the greatest.

Yen Ling,
What do you mean by have the same denominator?

E.g. 7/8 and 8/9
To have same denominator
7x9/8x9
8x8/9x8

Then they compare 7 x 9 and 8 x 8 to see which is bigger.

I tried to draw box for my gal. But sometimes, from the box size, not easy to see the difference.

Hi Jun,
You are right.

My son even tell me that if the numerator is the same, look for the smallest demoninator. Then that fration is the greatest.

Back