(2002) Any 2002 babies?

To all mummies,
To my surprise for his SA1, my son careless mistakes reduce. Hope that he will continue the hard work.

RE: CARELESSNESS
For english, He actually underline the keywords and for mathematics he did that too. I even expect him to do the working even if he can do mental calculation.

For kids, I don't think they will really do the checking. So for my son, if you expect him to check his answers and working, he will just tell me just check if all questions are answered. But nowadays, my son will do the papers slowly during exam time. Example, he will read the question slowly and tried to figure out the working and slowly the answer.

I am not sure if it really helps, but for this exam and last exam, he managed to reduce the careless mistake in Mathematics.

Yen ling,
Thanks for sharing. I will try this on my gal. Hope she learn her lesson this time. Cos last time she always v yaya tell me she checked. When the paper came back, even addition, she can use the wrong figure. When I pointed out to her, she tiam tiam keep quiet.

I mentioned in my posting several months back that I have ordered some chinese books via a spree from dangdang.com. Received the books last week. I find the books rather interesting and hilarious, especially those involving science topics. My gals love them. The only minus point is that the science books do not have hanyupinyin, so my gals have difficulty reading themselves.

cookiepie

do you have the link to those books involving science topics? sound interesting
happy.gif

cookiepie
Thanks for the link. This book looks chim
wink.gif

mommies
My dd received her report card. Her ranking is the same as last year. I guess everyone 退步too

Re Report book
will be meeting the teachers tomorrow to pick up the report book; wonder what questions to ask...is it too early to ask about SA2? hee hee....

maisy daisy, yawn yawn
There are 4 books in the series. My gal's chinese is no good. I do most of the reading to her. I agree that the chinese is a bit chim but the content is interesting.

wah..collecting report book. Not sure my son will be collecting his this thur or not during the meet parent session. Hubby will be attending alone this year.

cookiepie, the books seems too chim for me to read also. Glad you are able to do.

mummies, any recommendation of books on the topic of honesty/time management/sharing etc? Would like my get some for my son to read during the june holiday. Many thanks in advance.

yawn yawn
so all going at the same rate. Heng in a way ?

For me I finally can relax today. Last day for her today and she had her last maths test. Probably know the result only when school reopens.

Going for my shrek movie tonight

CL

However, top aggregrate score is 299/300. Her school published mean and top score although there's no school level ranking at mid year.

I think only her whole class 退步together
rofl.gif

yawn yawn

wow wow for that student who score 299/300. You know hor that reminds me that when I was a student in NYPS, I scored 289/300 and I was only at 50% of the whole level. was telling my parents the position must be going by decimal points man. like the first must be full or 99.99999 ha ha

yday went meet parent session.teacher said my gal's english needs improvenment on speaking & writing.AS all the time we r using mandarin at hm , my english is not so gd , thus teacher said that she always uses broken english , tend to translate chinese directly to english when writing.mommies do you think that such condition can help by getting tutor? Any advice /comment on this?

Yeh ...last day of school today!!!! All lower pri students, including my gal goes on am session coz today is supposed to be the national Eat with Your Family Day. Teachers need to go home early. As for the usual am sessions students, off to the sports stadium for the upper pri sports day.......

cookiepie
Mine today no school liao only upper primary involve in sports day.

Ling,
my gal's tutor commented my girl very weak in grammar and vocab oso lacking. Then when she reviewed her test paper, she said all grammatical which shouldn't be made. It comes with frequent use of the language and a good grounding in language rules. She is going to drill her to be strong before P3.

I asked her for recommendation on assessment books she ask me to ivest in storybooks instead. Asked me to start with Ronald Dahl. So my job for holiday is to make her read and read then I remind her to finish assessment with tutor. The rest is outsourced to tutor liao.

cookiepie and chickenlittle,
mine today totally no sch. only parent meeting seesion for P1 and P2. DS got his report book wonder how that compute the mid-year result.
Commented my son careless as what we have expected and also rather vocal his year totally opposite of what is commented last year. P1 needs to speak up in class. His sch top score is 297/300. But they do not have class position and standard. Guess not to pressurize the kids.

ChickenLittle, your gal's tutor good. Did you send your gal for chinese class? If have, where?

Ling, my son got 1/2 deducted for each words not placing a "s" at the end of the words for pural nouns. Very wasted.

CL,
Wah your gal so gd, no school today.

Regarding the tutor's comments abt reading story books, did the tutor share any reading technique? My gal reads a lot but her grammar and compo still poor leh ...somehow the writing style and technique did not sink in her mind.

Ling,
my boy is completely opposite; as we speak mostly english at home, his chinese writing is translated from his english thoughts; his CL teacher commented that his spoken mandarin is too formal... like read from book instead of conversation/dialogue type. and his writing/compo is too safe...until quite boring. lolz.

yawnyawn,
my boy likes to write in dialogue style for his compo...and he likes to write funny scenerio in his compo....cos he only likes to read funny books. :p

Hello
What programmes are you enrolling for your kids this Jun hols?

I thought of signing up:
1) Tienhsia workshop B
2) Xue Er You chinese compo (Mon to Fri 1.5hr ea $120)

In case you are wondering what is workshop A & B.
A: Chinatown Heritage, Sentosa Go Green Circuit, Candy making, E-Explorer, Clay making
B: Sentosa Luge, Malay Heritage, Cup cake making, Kids Kampong, Photo frame making.
The first 4 days have half day oral practise.

3 days $230
4 days $260
5 days $290
Insurance is additional $5

Caroline3sg,
Which xue er you did you sign up with? I checked with the jurong west branch and was informed that they would not be starting june holiday classes due to insuff students.

My gal still school as usual.

Fz,
My boy's tutor said boys compo usually lack the human element. My boy write like a reporter reporting news. V boring. I told him must inject feelings and description to the scene and characters. Otherwise read already can fall asleep. Now he is P1 so the teacher still not v strict.

Ling,
You can try ask your gal read model compositions. So that she knows how a good compo is structured.

Chickenlittle,
Ask you. How do you get your tutor? Is it tuition ctr? I'm considering getting a maths tutor for my gal. But don't know where to search.

I attended my gals' PTM few days ago. Teacher commented that my P2 gal's results for English and Chinese had slipped. For Maths, she had shown improvement but could have done better as there were many careless mistakes. Teacher thought that I shd work hard on her English as she is scoring below average, esp for areas like Written compre, grammar, listening compre and oral. As for her Chinese, her weakness is written compre section and oral. I told the teacher frankly that we have been working hard on maths (since it was her weakest subject in P1) and neglected the other 2. I have better reminded my gal to do more of Eng and Chinese assessments during sch holiday.

For my P1 gal, her results were alright except for her Chinese..she is weak in chinese word recognition and lack confidence in conversing Chinese. Considering that her sch chinese standard is quite lax, she is really weak in Chinese. Hiaz..need to stock up more Chinese assessment book for her liao.

Holiday prog
I wish I can do more to sign them up for holiday prog, but I will be stuck at home doing confinement. The gals had received some birthday party invitations and were looking forward to attend them..but I might have to disappoint them as there will be no one else to bring them to these parties unless hubby is around.

Morris Allen writing class
My P2 gal enjoys the lessons..We attended their open house last week and my P1 gal is also keen to join them. Class size is small, and teacher is very encouraging and humorous. I am not sure if I wanna continue with the writing class as both my hubby and I feel that I shd work hard on her Grammar first. The writing class is good for her now as the class size is small and she is more willing to participate and speak up in class.

I had enquired on Bishan Mindstretcher English class and was told that class size is abt 15. Currently, their classes are full for weekend slots. I have seen some of their worksheet -standard is quite high, but I have not spoken to their teachers yet.

If I am not able to get English enrichment for my P2 gal - I prob will have to try my luck on private tutor..but getting a good private tutor is also a challenging task..

bebe

Mindstretcher has writing class too. I'm very keen but they only have it in 2 locations, both too far from my house. I plan to send my dd to a nearby RC for creative writing after school holiday

caroline

school holiday actviites, I send her to nearby community center for those one-time 3 hours programme. Quite a lot to choose from, some with IQ games, some with science experiments

bebe75,
can you share more re. Morris Allen writing class? How is the lesson conducted?

Any other mummies with experience with other writing class to share? What kind of improvements do you see or can expect after attending such classes?

Am toying with the idea of sending my dd to such classes, but hates the idea of filling up her weekend with yet another enrichment class
sad.gif

Yawn Yawn
Mindstretcher writing class is only conducted at Bishan/Punggol/Serangoon..and weekend slots are hard to come by...

Aly nat
The writing class is a short course (10 lessons). For each lesson, teacher will focus on a writing technique eg Characters setting, Plot setting, Usage of dialogues, factual reporting etc. Along the way, teacher will also highlight grammar usage such as adjectives, adverb, similes, conjunctions, idioms, punctuation etc.

Before the end of the lessons, students will apply these techniques and do a piece of writing for teachers to mark.

Each lesson duration lasts from 1.5hr to 2hr - I choose the 2hr slot and paid $560 for the whole course. Her last lesson will be next week, I think they have new classes coming up in July.

I am not sure if this writing class helps in her writing, but i find the course structure at Morris Allen more organised than her school's writing class. My gal seems to understand their material better than her school's worksheet. She also enjoys the lessons..prob due to smaller group.

bebe75,
Thanks for sharing. Will check them out.

Anyone with BAD writing class experience to share? Always good to know who to avoid, isn't it
happy.gif
. Can also pm me if not convenient to post here.

Mummies
anyone stays near hillview area and putting your kids in student care ?

I am sourcing for one as my mum cannot help me take care of my girl.

Any SAHM around the area keen to take care of my girl ?

some time ago there were some discussion on road shows for school bag. Is the brand 'Impact'? Or what brand is that?

Any mommies still have their contact number?

Yawn Yawn
Hope this is not too late
http://www.impactlifestyle.com.sg/knowledge.aspx

Maisy Daisy
Last week quite a breeze since my girl started going to student care. Ha ha I have the teachers to supervise her. Even the spelling was tested twice. Phew. So now evening I can spend quality time with her.

Jolene
Sorry I did not get back to you. I will pm you her contact. I think she is quite packed and I am now waiting for her to get back to me on a weekend slot since my girl is at student care now.
She is a recommendation from Joanne and ha ha you know what I never ask about her qualification. But my girl improve from first test 28/40 to 36/40. And she gained confidence in the subject.

Oh ya
I remembered some kids here are taking Gu Zheng. Is it CCA in School ? Do you need to get one for practise at home ? If yes , where and how much is one now ?

HI chicken little,
Did your girl adjust to studentcare? What does she do in the day? I've wanted to put my kids in studentcare but my hubby bu fang xing. He feels that they won't provide nutritious food for the kids and must wake them up very early. What subjects does your tutor teach? I'm currently teaching my gal maths but her maths quite terok so not sure if I should get a tutor for her. If anyone has recommendation for a private tutor that teaches in the east, can let me know?

Maisy Daisy
I brought her to Learning Bliss the one that is next to school but she super not keen. So no choice I source for Kidz Club which is about 10 mins bus ride from home. And she loves it there. From her first day, she made 3 new friends, thereafter she is super happy to go there.

She goes there after school. She reaches about 2.10pm, will bathe and then eat. I think sometimes she nap for about 1 hour. If not they will finish homework first then there are classes for them Mon/ Wed : English, Tue/Thur Maths and Friday Chinese.

She will be tested twice on her spelling on Monday and Wed before the actual one in school.

There were doing revision on mass and was given test too.

There was a chinese test too but she never complain about all these unlike at home she will pull a long face when I ask her to do extra assessment.

The student care principal did tell me there is no need to arrange for private tutor just that I wanted to gear her up for English/Maths.

Chicken Little: Wow seems like student care provides very good services, and I particularly like the fact that they can complete their homework in the afternoons. Otherwise, my daughter will just stone the whole afternoon away, and wait for me to be back at night to teach her homework! Like you said, no quality time spent at night!

Linette,
Yap no I more relaxed. They tested ting xie n spelling twice plus I get her to prepare during weekend b4 the coming week n test the day before actual so this is well covered. Besides ensuring homework done, they did revision n prepare them for new topic.

Even when my gal took too long to do school work they also extend her study time to finish centre's work. So I am so blessed to be in this centre. I think my gal has changed a bit probably due to the peer pressure. so since my mum cannot care for her is not so bad afterall.

CL,
Good that it turns out well. Are all student cares as organised as this? My friend's student care - she said her gal is given 15-30min to surf internet everyday. And she became "regular" for YouTube and games website. I don't really like the idea of too much computer when they are so young and limited supervision. Won't know what they see from the internet.

Won't be going anywhere. Perhaps go JB but worry there will be traffic jam.

Will your school be having CA2? I check the school timetable only have SA2 but no CA2.

No CA2.

Coming Tue going to Jurong Bird Park, after that got show & tell; but no marks towards report book, only informal assessement. But I don't like show & tell.

Caroline3sg
What is the topic of your show n tell? So far my kids are "My family", My favourite animal", "My favourite toy".
Show n tell - we must help them prepare. Heard that they are in upp primary, the aim is to advance to doing public presentation too.

Back