2 month old BM baby - feed, sleep, play

summersbloom

Hi mommies...

I would like a comparison on the following with your 2 month old baby:
• how much milk (pls indicate BM or FM, total or partial) does he/she take per feed?
• how long does he/she sleep in-between feeds?
• what does he/she do for play? i.e. stare at mobile, kick around, etc

My baby is 2 months old on total breast milk. He only takes between 50 to 110ml per feed. Rarely 110ml though, and feeds every 2 - 2.5hrs in the day. At night he sleeps for longer stretches. When I last saw the PD, he has recommended me changing bottles/teats cos he thinks baby is working too hard for his food. After changing, it doesn't seem to be much different. But PD did say the weight gain is ok.

I understand that all babies are different but I just want a gauge. Thanks!

Hi Felicia,

My gal is taking BM of about 100-140ml per feed and usually can last her abt 3 hrs in the day and abt 4-5 hrs in the night, sometimes she will miss her feed and wake up only after 6-10hrs (a few times only) She just love to listen to us talk and she enjoy stretching herself n moving her legs when she's awake =) What's ur BB's weight gain? Mine was 1.9kg gained at 6th wk during her Jab.. now not sure though.. she's reaching 2nd mth this sun =)

Hope this helps..

Hi Felicia,

My boy takes about 120ml per feed at intervals of 2.5 - 3hrs during the day. At night, he only sleeps for one long stretch of 4 hrs, afterwhich it is back to 3 hrs interval. During play, he likes to look at the mobile n smiles, kicks around or waves his hands about. I have a qn too, do you still let your bb wear mittens? My hubby suggests removing them so that bb can start to feel different textures.

Thanks for your comments.
happy.gif

Seems like my baby is doing ok then. Perhaps the websites I read are for caucasian babies who drinks more. No need to worry now.

LC suggests removing mittens by 6 weeks so that baby can play with fingers; good for brains development. She says 'imagine other babies can count 5 fingers, this one can only count 1!' (cos fingers all bundled inside the mittens).

Btw, my friend's PD suggests that when baby grows, we have to stretch the hours between feeds i.e. from 3 to 4 hrs and so on, and increase quantity accordingly.

Any mommies' PD also suggest the same? Reason is cos baby don't have time to digest if baby feeds too often.

Hi Felicia,

My boy takes about 120ml per feed at intervals of 2.5 - 3hrs during the day. At night, he only sleeps for one long stretch of 4 hrs, afterwhich it is back to 3 hrs interval. During play, he likes to look at the mobile n smiles, kicks around or waves his hands about. I have a qn too, do you still let your bb wear mittens?

I let my bb wear mittens because I scare tt she wld scratch her face. Her nails are pretty sharp.
Guess I wld not be taking them off so soon.

hihi,

total breastfeed>>
my baby is goin to 3rd mth and still drinkin 120ml with 2 hourly interval. she has been drinkin like that since full mth. at night she sleeps for 4-5hrs, then 3hrs, then back will not sleep in the day. if i am lucky, she sleeps for 1hrs or 30mins in the day.

mittens>>
now 2mths n 3wks, she is still wearing in at night and when she sleeps, because she really scratches her face.

what/how to play with your baby????
we usually helps her to stretch/exercise her limbs, play tummy down, sing. i let her watch tv when i need to do chores, as she refuse to nap in the day... any gd suggestions?

hihi,

TBF
My gal just turn 2nd mth.... she drink about 120ml to 140ml at every 3hr interval...at night she sleeps 4 to 5.5 hours...usually is one long stretch of 5hrs followed by 3 or 4hr stretch...

mittens:
I am still letting her wear cos scared she scratch her face too..

Play:
just discovered she beginning to get interested in play gym (previously not interested at all)...otherwise she like to lie down on sofa near window and kick and kick while watching the window (i think she like it cos of the window grills lines), relax in rocker, stare at lights, or play with me...

hihi,
I TBF. My boy drink about 60-100 ml (I guess, cos that's wat he drink from the expressed milk when i go out)typically very 2 hours. In the evening, he would cluster feed at very hour and then go to sleep for 4-5 hours, before returning to the 2 hourly schedule.

Mine dun like tummy time. Like to be carried or lie down. He like the fan and lamps and play for 1 hour, nap for 1 hour in the afternoon.
I only let him wear mittens when he sleep at night.

Hihi..

My boy is turning 3 mths tis March. He is on total breastfeed. He drinks about 100 ml & feeds every 2-3 hrs. At nite the interval is longer, about 3-4 hrs. He is most of the time active in the day & takes short naps of abt an hr. He moves & kicks alot & enjoys watching mobiles, curtains etc. Anything that drapes, hangs or moves . He smiles & baby-talks alot to things & pple.

As for mittens, i stop letting him wear them since he was 6 wks for development purpose.

I make it a habit to trim his nails every week.

Most dept stores sells baby nail clippers. Mine is Tollyjoy brand.

I bought the same type of nail clippers for my older son yrs ago.

Hi,
My boy is 7 wks now, he is TBF. Usually I latch him on but he should be drinking about 90ml to 110ml cos he drank this fm bottle when I go out. His interval is about 1.5 to 2 hrs max both day & nite and he tends to drink hrly during 10pm to 12pm and 5am to 10am sometimes.

As for mittens, i stop letting him wear since 5 wks old.

my ger nw 6 weeks 3 days.. she oso drink ard 6 times per day.. 130ml 4 hrs interval.. sumtimes at nite she can slp up to 6 hrs.. she is nw 4.4kg.. how do we train babies to slp throughout the nite..?

Hi,

My girl is now 3.5mth and latch on for BM for all feeds except the last feed at night which is FM. Drinks about 120ml to 150ml (recently most times finish 150ml) every 3-4hr. Current weight is 6.2kg.

As for sleeping, she wakes up at 7-730am and naps for 2-3hrs in the afternoon. Sleeps at 8-9pm after her bath and feed last time at midnite which she usually sleep thru. Occasionally, she will fuss abit at 5am for milk which i will latch her on while she still snoozing. She will still wake up at 7ish after that.

trx: for my ger, i started following at routine very early on by setting a bedtime/feeding schedule and following it. Initially she need to be fed at 3am and 6am but gradually she stop needing the 3 am feed as she grows older. By 2.5mths i just need to cuddle her or pat pat her abit and then put her back to sleep. If still fuss, i also used the pacifier. Will only latch her on at nite if the feeding interval exceed 5hrs. In the day i also stretch her feed from 2hr to 3-4hr but up the amt she drinking.

Anyway, i think can sleep thru 6 hrs is fantastic already. So if you feed at midnite, that means she can last till 6am which is about what my girl is doing.
happy.gif

My son is now 8weeks old, he drink 70ml every 2hrs on day and night. I try to feed him more to pull his sleeping time longer, but he vomit when he sleep. So is there anyway to pull his sleeping time longer?

huang liying (hng_tracy) : mayb u can try to increase bit by bit.. mayb can increase to 80ml 1st n slowly increase..

hi ladies,

i really envy the amount your babies drink per feed.. mine.. alamak... she is now 6 weeks old.. and she is such a small eater..

she drinks only from 60ml-80ml per feed and the interval is like every 4 hrs.. it is only when she is really hungry, she would drink abt 100ml..as for nite time, she can sleep all the way from 11pm-6am w/o a single feed and would just continue sleeping, not hungry at all. It is only when i kinda force feed her then she would drink about 60ml..
Her weight gain, acc to the PD, is ok though.. about 900g/per mth.

Anyway I can increase the amt per feed? I tried to force her to drink more, and ended up she wd vomit out..

sigh..what can i do?

hi jen,

my baby turned out to be a small eater too.

he is now 6.5 months old and only 6.1kg! He only put on 100g the last month! He drinks a total of 600ml - 700ml a day, every 4 to 5 hrs.

unless PD is concerned abt her weight, then u don't have to worry. babies know when they are hungry and will ask for milk.

you might want to try a strict 4 hr schedule... just feed her and let her drink whatever amount she wants. when she stop, don't force her. hopefully when she is a little older, the intake will increase.

btw, u giving her fm or ebm?

Hi,

My boy just turned 8 weeks old yesterday. He normally feeds every 4 hours, around 150ml/ 5 ounces each time. He weighs about 5kg now, which his PD says is quite ok for his height and age.

But, at night, he seems to want to feed every hour to every 2 hours. Not sure if this is normal, but it's very tiring!
sad.gif

Hi trx,

My boy started turning from side to side on his own around 5 weeks. He's yet to make a full turn tho'. Hope this answers your question.

hi,
my boy is 7 weeks turn 8 weeks soon. now i expressed out BM to feed him and now i still using the newborn teats. I wonder shld i change the teats?

Hi corvette,

change it if he takes too long to finish his milk or seem to have difficulty sucking. if he always doesn't finish his milk, you might want to consider changing the teats too, cos that means he's working too hard for the milk, he gave up.

I have great fun reading all the posts. Thanks a lot!

My baby is about 7 weeks and we gave been worrying for her milk intake. She takes 80-100mil per feed and most feed last her moretha 3 hours. Some can stretch till 5 hours. And we are always battling with her on the feed. The last 30mil is always an ordeal. She will stop drinking and pretend to be very sleepy. Then when we finally give up, she open her eyes and smile at you.

Hubby suggested to change her teat to 3m+ (we are isn't avent).

She drinks an average of 500 to 600mils a day. Is this normal? Now daddy is coaxing her to drink her last few bits. Sigh.

hi.. my baby girl is 8 wks old .. also small eater.. n im really worried. she takes v little amt of milk.. normally i will force feed until it hits abt 90-100ml each feed(at 3hrs interval). she is 3kg at birth and now she is onli 4.3kg. wgt gain is really slow too...haizzz..every feedin session is a struggle.

HI,

My baby is 10 weeks old and takes about 60-100ml bm every 2.5 hr. Becos i tend to let her latch on to get her to sleep in the afternoon, she ends up latching on about 30 min to eat, then about an hour or two later for about 5-10min to nap. i know i shouldn't depend on the breast to help her sleep, but it's really the most efficient and natural method. She used to have problems with her afternoon naps, but recently i found a way to deal with it and she has been napping 1-2 hrs twice in the afternoons. At night, she sleeps 4-5 hrs between feeds from 9pm to 1pm, then i give her a bottle of expressed milk ( so i know how much she drinks) and she continues sleeping from 2-6/7am. For play, she enjoys looking at her cot mobile, flashcards and "talking"/"singing" time with me. Once or twice a week, i give her a dip in the bathtub :p

@Flowerbaby - for diapers, i tried huggies, fitti, drypers, mummypoko and pampers before and i'm now sticking to drypers, for day use, MummyPoko/Pampers when gg out and overnight as i think they are more comfortable and absorbent. I find Huggies very stiff and experienced leaks few times. Hope this helps.

Cherry, u must really try to stop latching on to let the baby slp. Cox I was doing the same thing as u. N my baby had difficulty when she goes to childcare. She can't nap without me!!! But after one mth she finally can slp after drinking fm in sch. But when we r home or in car, she still insist to latch on to nap. It is very tedious!!!! Two mths later she will b two. N that's when I will totally stop bf.
happy.gif

My baby is 1 week plus.
Day - BM
Nite - FM
But somehow, he is more demanding at night
(Wakes up every 1-2 hrs)
During the day, he sleeps better
(Wakes up every 3 hrs)
Normal? or must swap him? How?

hi steven,
welcome to parenthood.
you may consider to swaddle him, or just use a napkin to wrap him up so that he is more secure. my baby has this issue last time too and we took the wrong approach - we carried her to bed and let her sleep on us. we took a while to break that habit.

try swaddle if you have not, maybe it works for him. (it is very normal for them to be demanding at night!)

My baby is 8 week + current feeding him 100mls (bm)
sometime after the 100ml still crying for milk will top up addition 60 mls but sometime cAn't even finish the 100mls
intervAl during daytime 3 hours
in the night time will feed him ard 11 plus will
wake up close to 5 and den return to 3 hrly again
still put him on mitten cos try few times but he end up with scratch on his face as he tend to scratch his face when he is crying.

Hi I like to ask - my baby is now 6 weeks plus but is drinking 100-120 ml of both breastmilk n infant. 8 feedings every 2.5-3 hours. Now she 4.69 kg n is in the 97th percentile and I am worried that if this goes on she will be a big baby and toddler. Is this normal? I am planning to reduce her milk intake instead - is it ok?

Need help momies, my boy is 9 weeks he giving me headache for past 1 week. He is turning day to night now. I don't know what to do. He sleep soundly in the afternoon and evening. By 10pm he will wake up and play but must with company . I try to wake him in the afternoon but he refused. I also try by him at 8pm but he still sleep. Pls advise.

blessedsass - 10 week old feed 4 hourly possible?

I thought that's for 4-month old... Confused.. cos I asked my PD, he said go with the flow/ baby demand.. cos I find at 3-hourly baby milk intake varies unlike previously, he drank all...

blessedsass - 10 week old feed 4 hourly possible?

I thought that's for 4-month old... Confused.. cos I asked my PD, he said go with the flow/ baby demand.. cos I find at 3-hourly baby milk intake varies unlike previously, he drank all...

Back