1st Period while Breastfeeding

banazz

Hi mummies,

I need some advice here... I just had my 1st period (16mths after delivery) and hope to conceive soon. Thus, I have these burning questions in mind. It will be really great if anyone can help me with these questions...

1. I used to have irregular menses before my first pregnancy and it only became regular after using contraceptive pills. Can anyone with similar experience share whether your period continue to be regular or became irregular again post delivery?

2. Will the menses stop if we continue with breastfeeding?

3. Will the milk supply drop if I get pregnant?

4. Anyone continue to breastfeed successfully even when pregnant with another child?

5. Anyone ceased breastfeeding (not by choice) after becoming pregnant?

<font color="aa00aa">Hi banazz,

I'm not able to answer all your qn but might be able to give some advice based on my experienced.
For me, my menses still came despite i bfing my girls (now coming to 8mths).
My menses will decrease whenever my menses is coming and will increase back after menses. So if u have ur 1st menses oredy, i suppose ur menses will not stop even if continue with brestfeeding unless you increase your bfing frequency.

Heard from oth mummies, the milk supply will start to drop when you get pregnant. If i remember correctly the drop will start when enter 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Thats when some of the mummies decided to stop bfing.

HTHs
happy.gif
</font>

Hi banazz,

2. menses may stop if you nurse enough to supress ovulation. when you nurse your bb, prolactin levels remain very high in your body, and high prolactin levels will surpress ovulation. As for how high is high, depends on individual. Also there is a higher chance that menses will not come/return if you feed your baby exclusively (means not on semi-solids, just milk alone, and on demand), nurse at least once every 6 hours, and nurse at least once between midnight and 6am.

Hi banazz,

Can only share with you on your qn 1.

I used to have irregular cycles too (fr 28 to 80+ days cycle). But since after my 2nd baby, my cycles are rather regular (abt 39 days). During my 1st baby, when my period came, my milk supply dropped. But for my 2nd baby, I had my period only after I stopped bf for about a month.

Hello mummies...

Really appreciate your replies. At least i have some rough ideas on what to expect now. Thank u so much : )

hi banazz,

i still breastfed my baby when i was expecting my second child. until 5 months pregnancy (my 1st child was 1year old at that time) i totally stop breastfed my son. now i breastfeed my second child. she is going to 11 months now and i havent had my period since my im expecting my 1st child. but there should be no problem coz i heard that other mummy had her period 18 month after delivery because of breastfeeding

Hi banazz,
here's what I experienced:
2. I still have menses even I am breastfeeding my baby. 1st menses came around 8th month (but was irregular). My milk supply goes lower when it is my menses time.

5. Yes, my gynae asked me to stop breastfeeding when I was detected to be pregnant. I think it is draining for the pregnant mum because alot of calcium will go to the foetus &amp; breastmilk.

not sure if my understandings are right. But hope you find them useful.

hey dety and kerene, thanks!

i'm kinda disappointed now. is waiting for my 2nd menses but it din come... i guess i really gotta wait for a while b4 i can conceive again since im not prepared to stop breastfeeding.

eehh.. anyone out there experienced 1st period, and then the next one like 'late' liddat huh?
i am still breastfeeding and my period came last month. And for this month, haben come yet..

ouch.. i hope i am not pregnant leh.. issit normal that period sometimes appear and sometimes don't for bf mmama??

goldfish,
hehe...good luck to you! you might be
happy.gif
but then how late are you?

from my experience (TBF my girl for 16 mths), i got my mense when my girl was 8mths, mense was light (as in not as heavy before i was pregnant) and for the 1st time, no blood clots, yay.. continue to be so but it's regular...

==================================================================================================
Now to answer banazz question:

2. Will the menses stop if we continue with breastfeeding?
<font color="0000ff">Never experince that. Once my mense come, it continue to come on a regular basis.</font>

3. Will the milk supply drop if I get pregnant?
<font color="0000ff">yes, will drop especially when you're having your mense and will slowly build up when the mense over but never back to the same amount that i use to have</font>

4. Anyone continue to breastfeed successfully even when pregnant with another child?
<font color="0000ff">Definately many of such cases. These mothers are very wei-da because their nipple would be really really sore and most give up because of this!!</font>

5. Anyone ceased breastfeeding (not by choice) after becoming pregnant?
<font color="0000ff"> there are many cases. most of the time it's the baby who wants to self-wean because of the change in the BM taste. usually in the 2nd trimester</font>

goldfish
why not just go n buy a preggy test kit?

my menses was very regular even after delivery... 1st menses came 2weeks after lochia cleared... 2nd menses came eaxctly 28 days later...
i even gotten preggy when my ger was 2 mths...when i was TBF..

but i do have frens who mentioned after delivery their menses are not regular n often late.

Goldfish,

I think im facing the same problem as you. I recently stopped breastfeeding. I got my first menses last month, after an absence of 18 months. I still havent got my 2nd menses yet. Im worried that i may be pregnant...oh dear, dun think i can handle another kid that soon.

Anyone with similar experience?

Mummy Lee, For my case after stop breastfeeding, my menses quite irregular. If it is for than 2 mths delay, you may want to get prenancy kit to check.

I oso heard that after giving birth most fertile period. Maybe it is individualbah. Try harder for mummies who wanna conceive....

i totally bf my two boys. But my menses return within one month.

My milk supply is good too...so i wonder how come my case is like that.

haha

hi i have a 4month son and i had sex last month and i got my period that same month but i have not seen any for this month could i be pregnant or is it because im still nursing that is making my period do like this

wah some of u mummies so long after delivery then menses return...so good ahh..i tot as long as i'm BG wont have menses so soon...yet 3 mths after i'm BF, my menses started liao...i'm still currently BF as well

My girl is coming 7 mths liao and i am still total bfing. My menses haven't return yet(touch wood!). So have to take precaution to prevent getting pregnant.. Two is enough for me =)

i was a 'bleedin monster' even tho i was partial bf previously. "menses" for almost 7wks after delivery, then 2wks later, it came back again, d following mth, still came for 1 or 2 days. immediately after i stopped bf durin d 4th mth,it came back again, for real -.- no diff compare to those who didnt bf :p

my menses came back after 8 mths although i was TBF. I realised that my milk suppky started to reduce after the "re-appearance" of my menses.

Yupz, menses came back 3rd month after delivery even though TBF so sad
sad.gif
Was hoping no need wear pads for longer time.

Milk supply dropped so much when menses arriving and at first did not know. Was so worried, went search internet how to increase milk supply, drink herb tea, eat more fenugreek, tried to relax myself before expressing aiyohz!

But once period ends, no problem again.

Stopped breastfeeding for a while but still have some residue milk oozing from breast. still have it even though menses came. Can anyone advise how to stop it?

hi mummies, can i get your advice how many days can we store our breastmilk in the frige? what do you use to store? i heard some people say buy cheap milk bottles.. one last question how do you manage bf when go back to work.. thks a million

Hi lozan,

Read somewhere that we can store BM for a max of 2 days in fridge. In freezer can last for months. I am currently using avent via cups to store the BM.

Banazz, I was breastfeeding my son when I was pregnant with no.2. Only stop in e last trimester coz I wanted to wean him as he was almost 3 yrs old.
BM amt will definitely fall when you are pregnant. My menses came regularly even when I was breastfeeding.

Iozan, BM can be stored in e fridge for up to 48 hours and in e freezer for up to 3mths. U can store them in sterilised milk bottles, milk bags (there are a few brands like pigeon, lanisoh, etc) or avent VIA cups.

hi rabbity, how did u managed to wean him off? im finally pregnant again and is in my last trimester now. also wanna wean off my boy. he's coming to 2yrs 4mths soon. but he has became so sticky recently tt he's forever asking for milk or maybe breast (comfort sucking)..

Hi,

my menses havent come when my baby already 4.5 months liao....

And I'm still on TBF... So wondering whether how to conceive my 2nd one.... cos I dont wan them to have too BIG gap in age.....

Can I still try and conceive if I wanna 2nd child? Or I have to stop BF in order to try to conceive again? How do i know whether I got ovulation anot? or u gals just happen to be preggy one? I need advice please.....

hi dreamababy, u can still conceive even when breastfeeding. this was what happened to me but it took a long time for me to conceive. i took ard 20 mths b4 im preg again with no 2. but some mommies got preg pretty soon. if u r very eager to get preggie again real soon, then u may have to stop BF to increase ur chance.

as for how to know whether u hv ovulated, u can't tell with naked eye. u have to use e ovulation test kits to be sure...

Hi, yes, still can conceive during BF. I am one of the example, tot very safe but was not and now really need to struggle to take care of 1 baby and 1 toddler !!

1. Contraceptive can make your menstrual cycle
regular it depends on how your body react to the pills. If you get changes its normal.

2. If you already had your menstrual cycle after you breast fed or still breastfeeding your menstrual cycle will be regular/irregular it depends on your body. It won't be stopped even if you continue breastfeeding.

3. Actually milk supply won't drop even if your pregnant just eat healthy and soupy diet. Maybe you don't have big appetite while your pregnant that's why your supply of your milk is decreasing.

4. Yes there are lots of mommies worldwide that do breastfeeding even if they are pregnant. The only problem is babies who is breastfed will depends on you even if they are 5 years and up.

5. Some doctors suggest some mommies to stopped breast feeding because of medical problems.
If you want to continue breastfedding have a healthy diet

Back