(1997) 1997 or before children

Hi Elly,
I think the most "dangerous" stage is sec 1 & 2. Parents are afraid they mixed with bad company. I think yr boy is not too bad at least he still stay at home
happy.gif
My older boy in sec 2 also seldom see him study. But for me as long as he can maintain his grade, then I will close my eyes.

Hi, nice to see teenage kids mummies here.
Hi jggg, nice to see you here :) Me also Gleneagle ...
Welcome elly ! I have added you in my msn, but not sure if you are using msn ...

Hi elly, did you notice what is the cause of his change ? Is it mix with wrong type of friends ? I always feel that at this age, they are very easily influence by friends.

jggg .... close one eye or close both eyes ? haha ... joking ...

One question, any boy girl relationship problem you both facing ? Would they allow you to see their hp sms ?

Hi Daisy,

heehee, of course one eye lah, otherwise they will go haywire
happy.gif

My boy is in boys sch. the younger one sec 1 next yr oso likely to be a boy sch. Cos oreli "headache" on their sch work liao, dont want to invite more problems for myself :p

Oh yes, wrt the hp sms, must give some privacy
happy.gif
I dont check but I warned them not to do anything behind me otherwise, I will conficate their hp.

jggg, sounds like your boys still listen to you. I dun know why, whenever I secretly check her sms, there are sure some heart attack surprises for me !!

At what age you allow them to go out with friends ? Do you bring them to school now (in secondary) and fetch them back ?

hello daisy & jggg,

it's really good to have someone like you to share our problems with teenage kids.

My son is also in a boys school, so far no problem with boy-girl-relationship, guess he's still not matured yet, unlike other boys... hehehe. The only problem i had with him is his argumentative attitude and his studies. It's so difficult to get him to study, that's why his grade is getting downhill, sigh. He spent so much time with his comp and tv. To him, to study is a torture, he will doze off within half an hr, but can spents hrs in front of tv and comp.

I guess I must hv given him too much freedom since both my hubby & myself are working and he's alone at home most of the time. I hardly hv time to check on his schoolwork.

Heard some boys once reached a certain stage, will become more sensible and matured. Hope this is true, but dunno when will this day arrive...

What about parents out there, what other problems do u hv with your kids and how do u discipline or motivate them?

Hi elly, how about impose some rules and control or some kind of punishment, eg. no tv or comp if result is below certain marks. Or cut allowance ...

Hi Daisy,

I'm a FTWM, so no time to fetch or send them
sad.gif

actually it depends on the child. I let my elder one go out with his friends when he was Pri 6. But this younger one till now I oso dont allow cos he is more mischieve and his character is the type that easy influent by pple.

Hi Elly,

I agreed with Daisy. For my boys, they must ask for permission before they can use the comp. I oso set time limit. But I think is too late to yr boy since he oreli use to freedom
happy.gif

Me too waiting for the day that my younger one will become sensible, sigh... dont know when...

hi jggg, true about the freedom. That's why till now, my hb is very particular about freedom for my girl. He says cannot let her gets use to it so early.

hhmm ... another question. Usually what time they would reach home after school ? Are there many staying back, CCAs, activities to attend ? When I went to RV open house, the school girl told me, she reach home about 7pm, average 3 times a week. Other than that, about 4pm.

Hi Daisy,

twice a week reach home ard 7pm cos of CCA. Other days is abt 3pm or 4pm depends on timetable. Huh, distance oso must take into consideration too
happy.gif

Dear All
My boy is only P5 and I have already experienced his attitude problem. Somehow, he wants his opinion to be heard, e.g. if u say go to XYZ restaurant, he will say he prefers ABC restaurant. When talk to him why he is always "against" us, he said no, it is just his preference. We have changed our strategy, i.e. not to ask for opinion instead will decide and say just follow.

My boy is not the naughty type yet we also facing the above problem. I would think when they get to secondary, there will be more to come. Elly - your problem may not be too bad.

hi jggg, that's very tiring and hectic but I guess its better they used up the energy for school activities and nothing left for other things. Hahahah !

hi ACL, I feel that we can be friendly to them, give them freedom, but sometimes still need to let them know who's the boss.

Hi ACL,
The kids of this generation is different from our time. I remember when I told my son's teacher that he always talk back to me, guess wat the teacher's response? She said "Good! that means he has his own thinking" my goodness!!!
happy.gif

Hi, something to share, from coolparentingtips , I only copy the middle childhood and early adolescene portion.

Discover (or rediscover) positive ways that you can help your child learn and develop
----------------------------------------------

Middle Childhood (9 - 11 years old)
Your child's growing independence from the family and interest in friends might be obvious by now. Healthy friendships are very important to your child's development, but peer pressure can become strong during this time. Children who feel good about themselves are more able to resist negative peer pressure and make better choices for themselves. This is an important time for children to gain a sense of responsibility along with their growing independence. Also, physical changes of puberty might be showing by now, especially for girls. Another big change children need to prepare for during this time is starting secondary school.

Positive Parenting Tips
You can help your child become independent, while building his or her sense of responsibility and self-confidence at the same time. Here are some suggestions:
Spend time with your child. Talk with her about her friends, her accomplishments, and what challenges she will face.
Be involved with your child's school. Go to school events; meet your child's teachers.
Encourage your child to join school and community groups, such as a team sport, or to take advantage of volunteer opportunities.
Help your child develop his own sense of right and wrong. Talk with him about risky things friends may pressure him to do, like smoking or dangerous physical dares.
Help your child develop a sense of responsibility - involve your child in household tasks. Talk to your child about saving and spending money wisely.
Meet the families of your child's friends.
Talk with your child about respecting others. Encourage your child to help people in need. Talk with him or her about what to do when others are not kind or are disrespectful.
Help your child set his own goals. Encourage him to think about skills and abilities he would like to have and about how to develop them.
Make clear rules and stick to them. Talk to your child about what you expect from her when no adults are supervising. If you provide reasons for rules, it will help your child to know what to do in those situations.
Use discipline to guide and protect your child, instead of punishment to make him feel badly about himself.
Talk with your child about the normal physical and emotional changes of puberty.
Encourage your child to read every day. Talk with her about her homework.
Be affectionate and honest with your child, and do things together as a family.

Early Adolescence (12 - 14 years old)
Early adolescence is a time of many physical, mental, emotional, and social changes. Hormones change as puberty begins. Boys grow facial and pubic hair and their voices deepen. Girls grow pubic hair and breasts, and start menstruating. They might be worried about these changes and how they are looked at by others. This will also be a time when your teenager might face peer pressure to use alcohol, tobacco products, and drugs, and to have sex. Other challenges can be eating disorders, depression, and family problems.

Positive Parenting Tips
Trust is important for teenagers. Even as she develops independence, she will need to know she has your support. At the same time, she will need you to respect her need for privacy.
Be honest and direct with your teenager when talking about sensitive subjects such as drugs, drinking, smoking, and sex.
Encourage your teenager to get exercise. He or she might join a team or take up an individual sport. Helping with household tasks such as mowing the lawn, walking the dog, or washing the car also keeps your teen active.
Meal time is very important for families. Eating together helps teenagers make better choices about the foods they eat, promotes healthy weight, and gives your family time to talk to each other.
Meet and get to know your teenager's friends.
Show an interest in your teenager's school life.
Help your teenager make healthy choices while encouraging him to make his own decisions.
Respect your teenager's opinions and take into account her thoughts and feelings. It is important that she knows you are listening to her.

Daisy
Thank you for sharing.

Mine is P5 girl. The only time she is rude to me is, she is frustrated with her younger brother. But I told her she is facing me, complaining to me which I don't deserve such an attitude coz I am her mother.

So far, she has no opinion or little comments (may not be good either). She would just follow. If not happy (esp food), I would tell her XYZ restaurant is expensive. I have no money. Next time she works and have money, she can treat me. It works! She is very conscious with money now after repeated saying restaurant is expensive.

hi carlone3sg, saw your post in another forum about the teenage girl with online friend. My colleague friend also faced the same problem but lucky she discovered early enough. Her child same age as your girl.

daisy
I am not IT pro. So is my girl. So far no such problem. She doesn't even know where the letters are on the keyboard, let along surf the net. Usually we use computer only for games, educational CDs and sch E-learning.

caroline3sg, that's good too in some ways. Kids IT smart, the parents must be smarter to be ahead of them, hahaha !

elly
Glad to hv someone to share problem which i faced with my son who is sitting for PSLE this yr..in front of comp & xbox- very energetic but when it comes to school work- zzzz
like that how ? Think he is not motivated or matured enough to work hard for his goals . I really hope for that day when he "grows up" and knows what he wants in life..

J&Rsmum
My boy also like that. Seems like most of the boys are this kind of behaviour but i do see boys that are very good in their studies. Ended up the mothers are so nagging and the boys will find us irritating! How to "wake" them up?

Yeah some boys in his class are definitely very focused on their studies and what they want- really wish some of their attitude will influence my son.. but no leh, fat hope ! Now I just hope that he can focus on this important exam...but if I push him too hard, he will "switch off" - what to do ?

100% agreed with J&Rsmum.
I guess all these good qualities must be in-born. For those kids that are not born with it, we have to push just to make sure they don't fail their exams or able to go to secondary school. Those mummies in the same situation will understand the frustration!

Thought of trying those course on Mind Development / motivation course but too expensive and not too sure the effectiveness, especially on my boy.

I don't think we can do much the moment they go to secondary school.

hi jasmine, welcome. Next year when the school and friends start to give pressure, she will be kan chieong lor. Everything is going so fast in P6 !

hi daisy, thks.
happy.gif

ya, so fast...not much time to prepare liao. i dun expect her to go to the top sec sch but at least to those above avg sec sch. i start to worry her group of friends she going to mix with when she goes sec sch.

Hi 1997 mums - Dont know about you all but I intend to step up on tuition during the year end hols so that we don't panic near PSLE! Next step is convincing daughter to "sacrifice" her holiday rest! Don't know whether it will work!

Kids are afterall still a kid. Childhood life is short, don't pressure them too much, it might 'back-fired'. We have to give them some time to relax and enjoy too.

I have already gone through that phrase. Though my son did not do as well as some of his peers, but at least his result is not too bad and managed to get into Maris Stella High. I have never pressured my son to studies, but I kept reminding him the importance of education. Not sure if this really works, but I don't wanna deprive him of his own space & time, I want him to have a happy life, that's all.

hi, i agree with elly and I have the same thinking. My daughter never has tuituion during the 6 years of Primary school life. She is not the top in class but to me, there are many other things are more important than just results. As long as she can go to above average sec school, I am happy.

workingmom, I personally feel if you want to prepare her, instead of tuition, maybe you can try some enrichment class or some fun holiday camps. Train and build up her confidence, learning attitute is more important. Its just my personal view. I remember last year, her P5 teacher told us, a positive learning attitute is going to help them when they reach P6 and I fully agree.

Daisy/Elly...thanks for your good views. I do agree that academic scores are not everything. But to go into above average sec school, you need PSLE score of at least 235 which probably is the top 30% of the cohort. If your child is not academically inclined, I think we need to push a bit but the child must support the reason to get the cooperation. I am more afraid of the risk of mixing with bad company in secondary school and so hope to avoid (thought not guarantee) this by working harder. I have seen my own friend who was "relaxed" in P5 but when it comes to P6, everyone gave her child pressure (the school especially). The child was not used to the pressure and hence collapsed and has to be hospitalised near to PSLE. So my thinking is just to get her prepared earlier to avoid the built up of pressure which will definitely come in P6. The child will be more "relaxed" near the time. That is my intended strategy....

workingmom, WOW ! "and has to be hospitalised near to PSLE ..." So serious ???? Due to pressure ?

I heard from my daughter, her teacher was telling her, one of her previous years student too stress and got black out in the exam hall. Suddenly cannot see and send to hospital. Lucky temporary type and was recovered then. Scary ...

Yes..its stress related and apparently the doctors told her that this was not unusual near PSLE! So I think we need to strike a good balance because if a child is not used to coping with the increasing homework and pace, he will not be able to handle it. The child was hospitalised for one day only..thank goodness...

hello all mummies! am new here
happy.gif
surprise to find older kids mum congregating here ! I have kids at lower sec and upper primary... so u great mommies have my empathy
happy.gif
gone through the roughs and good too... academic system too stressful. For the science bit, i did mind map to help my kids but need to do research first
sad.gif
For math, we skip algebra completely and model not very useful for most difficult question. My son quite lucky - he was from catholic high and they have good strategies for solving problem sums so that helps and now he teaches my P4 those strategies which can solve problems in lesser steps and faster.

Hi daisy

try googling for mind map & u will understand better. try this image link http://mindblogger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/mindmapguidlines.jpg
Mind mapping was developed by Tony Buzan to help effective notes making and taking. Basically, it comprises of a centre theme/idea that branches out into different pockets of thoughts that are linked to the centre theme. I found it exceptionally useful in planning my thoughts. My P4 girl uses it to plan her composition writing so that's help in the structuring. My son in Secondary 1 found it a great tool for History, Geography, Literature.

There are courses on this especially during the hols but if you like me, budget conscious try learning it from Tony Buzan's Mindmapping books or simply read it from the Internet. Not difficult just need practise to get better by the day.

hi all mummy, for me i start my 97 girl during her P4 Yr end exam. i realise her result is not improving. she is actually good with her maths. but when she reach p4 her maths start to drop by few marks,(83-90) i was worry. so i let her start her tuition, well lucky i start her early for her maths, now she her maths stay above 90. she even score 97 for this ca2. im hoping that her maths result can help her replace those mark she hv lose i her english.

hi okmom, thanks for the info ! Would look out for that book Mindmapping.

hi cymk23, for me, 80 and above is good enough and hence I never send my girl for tuition.

ic. for me is 85 will be good. but as u know not all subject they can score so high. so those subject which she is good with. i will try to make her score better. i only do it for her maths, bec i know she can score very good mark with some help. i dont mean to push her. she only hv extra lesson during the wk day. and 1 2hr enrichment on sat noon. i try to avoid lesson on sat evening and whole of sunday. actually i hv start her with a chinese enrichment at Berries, but bec they also hv lesson during jun holiday, which i don't like. i hv stop the lesson after 3 terms.

Hi cymk23

Have just send you an email.

My gal has been with berries since nursery.Find that its not as effective as it should be, maybe due to the teacher.Am drawing her out this year end.

Hey, which school is your gal from?Wow, she sure did very well for her math, congrats.

hi joy747, ya i also found that berries dont help much for my girls. i think bec we r chinese speaking family, her chinese is not that poor, i put her in is to see whether they can help in her oral. but since like not much help too, i'll be putting them to hans, which they dont hv lesson during the sch hoilday which i like. they will hv extra enrichment esson which u hv to pay. both my girls r in aitong. wat about yours?

Hi cymk23,

My boy is also in Aitong. May I know which other enrichment centres do you send your girls to besides Hans?

hi bishanmum, which lvl is ur son in. mine is in their P4 & 5. i hv not start Hans, will only start them next yr.they r also in learning point @ Thomson on sat noon.

Group tuition doesn't work for my P5 girl because she is slower in grasping concepts and by nature she is reserved (don't want to ask questions kind). Been to a few but quit when results are not improving. So sigh...got to pay more for one-to-one tutor. Mind map is not for everyone - some children thrive in it while others don't so must assess their learning type. I know of one tutor who does mind-map in her homebased Science group tuition. Agree with Cymk23, when a child cannot score in other subjects, must try to push on those subjects that she is good in to compensate for the "loss" in other scores.

Back