10 weeks old Baby dun wanna drink milk!!! help!!!!

My baby is only 10 weeks old!!! he has rejected the bottle since 4 weeks ago.

he used to be able to drink a lot of milk... about 80 ml when he's only 3 weeks old. I didnt hv enough breast milk for him, so had always supplemented w similac.

But since about 4-5 weeks ago, he started drinking less milk, abt 50ml per feed abt 7 times a day. Now, he totally dun wanna drink fr the bottle unless when he's half asleep.

For a 6kg baby, if we use the formula 150 x 6 = 900ml per day. but he only drink max 500ml per day.

The past 3 days was worse!! he drank less than 300ml.

I'm really stressed out now dunno wat to do. PD say he can go w/o milk for 12 hours. but I'm really worried. Dunno if he'll get enough nutrients if this goes on...

anyone has similar experience?

firstborn, maybe you try to change the teats or change the milk powder. there's no absolute reason why babies reject milk as far as i know but we can try out some other ways to see if it works.

in any case, it's quite normal sometimes babies go thru a short period of milk rejecting but so long he's drinking (though lesser), it should be ok. but of cos if never drink at all, then it's cause for concern.

the baby will drink less milk if the stomach got "wind". they will be bloated and therefore not willing to drink. try massaging the "ru yi" oil on the tummy. it might help

Hi first born,

Confirm with your PD that your child is not suffering from any colic or indigestion?

You can try to add some rice cereal to his milk and let him drink. I have 2 daughters, both had same problem when they were babies, DUN LIKE to drink milk. Its like fighting a battle with them wanting them to drink milk (max. per milk feed is about 100 - 120ml for a few mths in a row - 2 to 3 times a day)

I added in some rice cereal to their milk and they started drinking. But, after 2 - 3 weeks, they start with other patterns to reject milk. If that happens, you can try to make some paste like rice cereal (mix with milk) for your baby. I used Heinz First Rice Cereal for my kids. They were eating paste like rice cereal mixed with milk since about 4 mths. Its like fighting a battle with them wanting them to drink milk (max. per milk feed is about 120ml for a few mths in a row - 2 to 3 times a day)

They take about 4 such meals a day. Remember to give your baby plenty of water and some diluted juice (can also try those bottled juice by Heinz and dilute with water) as rice cereal can get quite heaty.

My 2 kids were fed like that until they were about 6 mths when I also started them with porridge for lunch and eventually dinner.

At 6 mths, you can also try to add some oatmeal cereal with the rice cereal which my kids are still eating for breakfast until now.

Know what, no one believed my kids dun like to drink milk as they were growing so well
happy.gif

In fact, they only started to ask for milk after they were older (after 12 mths)! They are now drinking more milk than they were babies.

I can understand your worry as I have been thro' this not once but twice. But, what to do? Our kids are that fussy. My philisophy is so long as the child is receiving sufficient nutrition and growing well, we should not be worried too much.

artist,

PD did not exactly say what i the cause, but it could b confusion between the breast n the bottle.
i've stopped latching my baby on, n feed solely fr the bottle now. he's feeding normally ever since. hope ur baby's ok now.

This reminds me of the chickens who purposely reject corn (given a choice between looking for worms and man-made corn) because it was not natural food. Have you tried breastfeeding?

jennifer,
thanks for rubbing salt onto the wound. congrats on ur successful breastfeeding. Unfortunately I'm unable to do so.

hi first born, think not to worry too much. My niece, since birth rejected milk be it breastmilk or formula. she only like plain water. so when she 4mths old, my SIL feed her porridge cook with carrot and pumpkin and she loves it alot. at 10mths, she's taking rice. Now my niece is already 14 mths and she loves marigold vanilla fresh milk. ex though but no choice leh. Otherwise no calcium.

So for tea break, my SIL will take marie cookies, mix with milk powder to feed her. but nw ur bb to small so u can try after ur bb turn 4months.

try to change milk powder. For wad I know, hospital all give Nestle Nan formula. U can try it. If stomach got wind, give ur bb pacifier, it really helps to reduce wind going into their stomach.

Sometime u need lots of trial and error to know wad suit ur bb most.

Jia You oh and dun be influence by others trying to spoil ur mood
happy.gif

tiggermummy,

thanks for ur encouragement. my baby's just turned 4 mths n he's feeding normally now. hv been bottle feeding him BM n FM, lucky thing is he doesnt hv preference for either of them. I'm giving him Nan Ha cos i hv eczema so thought hypoallergenic version will b better for him. He seems v interested in food cos his mouth will move when he sees us eating... so cute...

Hi first born,
My ger oso drinks little milk. Can be super frustrating. Which bottle are u using? I am not too sure if bottles can affect intake. But I have since changed the NUK bottles and it seems my girl is drinking more...

Try not to mix cereal into milk to feed as it will increase risk of choking.
happy.gif

Would like to share my experience too.. my baby also totally reject milk at around 4 months and I very stressful. She will go hunger for 8 to 10 hours.
Even though she drink in the evening and next day wake up, she will refuse to drink tthe moment you put milk bottle in her mouth she will start to cry very pityful and call "ma ma".
So when i start work my mil feed her milk using spoon..than slowly go to solid food.
Now we try let her take milk by, heinz biscuit with 5scoop of milk, cereal lunch and snack wz milk, dinner porridge, supper let drink in yaolan which she half a sleep.
Tell yourself tomorrow will be better and have confident in your baby she will drink one day. Be positive. If you angry or frust walk a way for awhile, to drink water or wash your face.
Mine girl really train my patien..

Snowger, my bb didn't like NUK or any other brand other than Pigeon. Now he's almost 21mth and still Pigeon.

Trust me, after being a new parent for a while, you'll thank your bb for the patience you've cultivated.

Just don't get angry or personal when bb is difficult. Instead, try new methods, foods, quantities and places.

Hi,just to share with all.I'm giving birth on 7june.my bb having jundice.have to monitor every hour.bt she getting better now.thank god.have any mummy got same with me.

hi first born

when my 1 mth+ baby is drinking lesser than usual, i became so worried. My mood meter is like following the amt of ml he drinks everytime.

Ok, fr my baby, i realised he will sometimes drink half and stop, if the mark is not met, we will need to burp him. Once wind is out, then continue to feed. which usually the case, he will continue to suckle on.

This is my fav site to search for answers..
http://www.babycenter.com/302_crying-colic_1518472.bc?intcmp=lnav_bc20baby_bc20bacfcry&pn=Article%20page

Im also using Dr brown bottles to reduce wind in his stomach.

Wind in baby stomach makes it very difficult for them to consume more with a bloated stomach. I also dilligently apply Ruyi oil in between feeding time to let him put put air out.

Hope this helps, im a new mom and still learning every day...

Poor girl. My baby was like that too. I changed bottle, changed teat, changed milk powder, etc etc and nothing worked.

Then we realised that he would only drink milk when he's asleep. So we used to feed him when he's asleep, then drink very fast. Awake, fight and scream like crazy.

And don't worry if the baby is not fat like other babies lah. Mine like that also, but pd says as long as developing well, dont need to worry

La mommy
how long did your bb rehect milk? My bB is almost 3 mths and also have this prob... It's so bad that I can only feed when she sleeping.

Hi all mummies,

My baby boy is born on Apr 2010..

I need advice..
Since day 1, I started total BF ( he also did not drink any water) until now. He does not even want bottle feed at all.

I tried to feed with EnfaLac or EBM him with bottle for the past 3 months but he does not even want to suck. Even water, he also dont want..

Causing me to keep taking leave as I should go back to work on 1 Aug..
Anyone face this and have solution for me??

Thanks in advance.

Can try using spoon feeding...by using a tea spoon. I think I heard this method somewhere fr a nurse when bb refused to suck on bottle teat.

hi happymother2008, have u found a solution yet? cuz I'm facing the same problem as you, very frustrating! ok, at keast he take water but he dun wan any milk in the milk bottle, he wan BM, direct latch. can't go back to work...

hi fellow mummies, i have a 10 week old baby who refused to be held for nursing only allow the sidelying. she also starts to drink for very short periods. i am having a nightmare trying to introduce her to the bottle and she onluntakes it without screaming her lungs out when she is asleep. i tried changing everything but doesnt work... any advice and also how long it took for your bbs to drink from the bottle direct with eyes open? thank you for your help!

hello Mummies
My girl is coming to four months and she doesn't like to drink milk.

Latching on, she will suck for a while.
Refuse bottle feeding...
Hate formula too

Maximum she drinks is 40 to 60 ml all along...
and she can go without milk for 5 hours
All she wants is to sleep. She can sleep the whole day.

She is underweight less than 5 kg

PD said she should drink at least 700 ml per day and that was about a month ago. She is way below this amount.

I tried syringe and ended up vomit.

HELP!!!

I guess the baby does not want the type of milk you are feeding him. Or maybe her stomach is bloated. Consult his pedia about it. He'll might suggest you feed your baby with lacto free milk.

Back