Baby Still Refuses To Eat And Take Solids At 14 months Old

Hi All.

My son is 14.5 months old but still refuses to eat or take solids. He also sometimes refuses to drink his milk. Currently his milk intake is around every feed 4 to 5 hours and average 150ml per feed and about 900ml to 1000ml per day. Although I am worried about him not eating, surprisingly he still gains weight well and grows well (Now about 13kg) and besides not eating, he is still very active and cheerful everyday, therefore I can only try and wait for him to accept to eat one day. He drink milk also temperamental. Sometimes he will refuse his milk also despite not eating..and have to scold him or when he is half asleep then he will drink finish his milk.

As much as we try to introduce solids to him like porridge, rice, steam eggs, fruits, puree, he still not interested in eating. Actually we know that he knows how to eat because sometimes depending on his mood, he can eat porridge but only for like 8 to 10 mouths of porridge, he would then refuse to continue to eat and turn his head away and try his best to avoid and hide.
Same for fruits..today he can eat banana but tomorrow he can refuse it yet another day he can eat again..and sometimes when he does eat, he seems to get choked a little and would reflux some milk to be vomitted out but very minimal milk I would say.

Anyone has the same problem or any advice on what I can do ? Had also tried throwing food to him hoping he would self feed after playing with the food but to no avail.

erm, he is drinking too much milk for his age. their tummy is so small, if he is taking 1lt of milk a day, how to have room for solids?? Moreover, mill has high calories, how do u expect him to still take solid if he is already full from milk?! you can google for meals and milk portion for 14mo, and adjust from there..

Hi All.

My son is 14.5 months old but still refuses to eat or take solids. He also sometimes refuses to drink his milk. Currently his milk intake is around every feed 4 to 5 hours and average 150ml per feed and about 900ml to 1000ml per day. Although I am worried about him not eating, surprisingly he still gains weight well and grows well (Now about 13kg) and besides not eating, he is still very active and cheerful everyday, therefore I can only try and wait for him to accept to eat one day. He drink milk also temperamental. Sometimes he will refuse his milk also despite not eating..and have to scold him or when he is half asleep then he will drink finish his milk.

As much as we try to introduce solids to him like porridge, rice, steam eggs, fruits, puree, he still not interested in eating. Actually we know that he knows how to eat because sometimes depending on his mood, he can eat porridge but only for like 8 to 10 mouths of porridge, he would then refuse to continue to eat and turn his head away and try his best to avoid and hide.
Same for fruits..today he can eat banana but tomorrow he can refuse it yet another day he can eat again..and sometimes when he does eat, he seems to get choked a little and would reflux some milk to be vomitted out but very minimal milk I would say.

Anyone has the same problem or any advice on what I can do ? Had also tried throwing food to him hoping he would self feed after playing with the food but to no avail.
You may wish to cut his milk? His milk feeds are probably keeping him full. Just for a gauge, my 13 months babies are on 4 milk feeds daily, some days they cut to 3. Every feed is about 100-150, last feed might be a little more to last them through the night, depending on demand.

I give them 3 meals a day, some days a snack to restrict them from drinking too much milk. Don’t worry about the eating some foods today but not on other days. They are just like us adults, some days we like noodles, other days we just have no mood for it. My babies are like that too! On days I make sunny side up for them they reject; on days I make it for myself only, they eat my share :( So it is normal.

This is a good time to really try to make him start on solids otherwise there might be a possibility of other issues like jaw development, tooth cavities and rejection of foods.

jiayou mummy! :)

You may wish to cut his milk? His milk feeds are probably keeping him full. Just for a gauge, my 13 months babies are on 4 milk feeds daily, some days they cut to 3. Every feed is about 100-150, last feed might be a little more to last them through the night, depending on demand.

I give them 3 meals a day, some days a snack to restrict them from drinking too much milk. Don’t worry about the eating some foods today but not on other days. They are just like us adults, some days we like noodles, other days we just have no mood for it. My babies are like that too! On days I make sunny side up for them they reject; on days I make it for myself only, they eat my share :( So it is normal.

This is a good time to really try to make him start on solids otherwise there might be a possibility of other issues like jaw development, tooth cavities and rejection of foods.

jiayou mummy! :)
Hi. Thanks for your reply. May i ask what is the milk timing interval for the 3 to 4 milk feeds per day ?

Also, for the 3 meals a day, can share what food you prepared and what type of portion given ? Your child would finish the whole portion of food given?

Thanks in advance

Hi. Thanks for your reply. May i ask what is the milk timing interval for the 3 to 4 milk feeds per day ?

Also, for the 3 meals a day, can share what food you prepared and what type of portion given ? Your child would finish the whole portion of food given?

Thanks in advance
Most of my feedings are by hunger cues but usually 75% fall into these timings: once at around 0645-0700 when they wake, once at 0930-0945 slightly after breakfast, 1400 with/without snacks, 1845 before sleep. So I don’t usually go by hours and the timings usually fluctuate daily except for the first and last feed.

as for food, I given anything from the main food groups: carbohydrates (bread, muffins, rice, baby noodles, baby pasta, baby oats, baby cereals, pancakes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, quinoa, sweetcorn), proteins (eggs (different styles), fish, chicken, pork), vegetables (like bak choy, spinach, marrow, carrot, broccoli), most fruits (like berries, kiwis, bananas, peaches), my babies love soups so they have soup almost daily. Basically anything can be fed to them, I give them sometimes they even eat our food with us except that all their food has no added sugar or salt. Portion wise, they use to eat less but now more, maybe a quarter a bowl of rice and added with veggies and meat, or breakfast like 2/3 palm sized pancakes, lunch about 3 tablespoon of oats with fruits, milk and yoghurt. I let them decide how much they want to eat. If they want and I made extra, I will just serve it. If they decide that they don’t want a lot, I will just let them eat whatever they want and keep or toss the remaining. If your baby is not willing to eat much, start the serving small so that it is not too overwhelming for him, neither too demoralising for you.

Back