Gallbladder problem during pregnancy

Carol Hoe

Hi, anyone of you had it gallbladder removal done during pregnancy? My condition now is mild, only once awhile feel pain (little and last a second of two). surgeon said there is a high chance that it become infected during pregnancy and performing a surgery during pregnancy will have a high chance of losing the baby. Anyone have same experience? Pls give me some advice.

I think u can attempt the ERCP first to remove the stones in your gallbladder first. You can hold the surgery (especially if laparoscopic type) till later. Removing gallbladder earlier in your life means that you must avoid oily food as much as possible and a risk of developing polyps in your colon area. So beyond infection, there are additional risks involved to consider. Of course, if you are turning yellow because of your gallbladder stones, you may consider early removal in case the infection turns the area malignant.

then again ERCP itself has procedure related risks and it involves a certain amount of radiation. probably not advisable as an elective procedure in pregnancy

Last edited:

Back