Support Group - Endometriosis and Fibroids.

Hey. I intend to go SGH via private route so I can choose doctor. How was your experience with subsidised route? Is it fast?
Mine was every 3 mths appointment. Dr Serena koh was my friend gynae and shes very nice to help look at my case note to advise me without charging cost. My insurance have coverage for enhanced medishield, hospitalisation plan which i can upgrade to private in government hospital.

From my understanding if i wanna go for surgery it will be earliest in sep. But im still looking for experienced doc for my fibroids surgery tho :( hmm how many and how big are your fibroid(s)?

I just had laparoscopy surgery done to remove ovarian blood cyst and fibroids and was given Visanne after. However, I'm reluctant to start on it because I'm concerned about the side effects - I read that there is a risk of breast cancer. Yet I'm also worried it might recur again.

Is medication the only way to manage the condition? Has anyone successfully managed endometriosis via TCM or diet with no recurrence?

Mine was every 3 mths appointment. Dr Serena koh was my friend gynae and shes very nice to help look at my case note to advise me without charging cost. My insurance have coverage for enhanced medishield, hospitalisation plan which i can upgrade to private in government hospital.

From my understanding if i wanna go for surgery it will be earliest in sep. But im still looking for experienced doc for my fibroids surgery tho :( hmm how many and how big are your fibroid(s)?
My uterine fibroid is 1 hopefully and its 8.1cm. We should research on the gynae who is experienced in key hole surgery.

My uterine fibroid is 1 hopefully and its 8.1cm. We should research on the gynae who is experienced in key hole surgery.

I had a bad case of endo prior to having my first child. Back then I was seeing Dr Ng Kai Lyn at NUH who operated on me via laparoscopy / key hole and she did a fantastic job with my endo. Tiny scars and quick recovery. I got pregnant successfully and I'm now a proud mother of 2 kids. I followed her out when she left NUH and Dr Ng is now at Gleneagles. I would highly recommend her if any of you are looking for a doctor to treat your endo.

I had a health screening two weeks ago and found out i got many fibroid and larger one is 4.4cm. Also, with endo issue. May i have anyone recommendation/opinions sharing for an experiences gynae on this kind of problem. I'm basically have limited selection from my AIA panel clinic.
what does you guy think about Dr. Khoo CK from Mount E
Lisa from Gleneagles
Timothy From Mount A.

I heard that most guy gynae is better than female, not sure how true was what. May i have anyone opinion on this? As this is the first time encountered this, single, unmarried, it is quite nervous and worrying about the condition. Also, i have been noticing my whole foot board is kind of pain sometimes when i walked....been wondering does it relates to this illness...

thanks very much in advance for anyone's opinion sharing.

I had a health screening two weeks ago and found out i got many fibroid and larger one is 4.4cm. Also, with endo issue. May i have anyone recommendation/opinions sharing for an experiences gynae on this kind of problem. I'm basically have limited selection from my AIA panel clinic.
what does you guy think about Dr. Khoo CK from Mount E
Lisa from Gleneagles
Timothy From Mount A.

I heard that most guy gynae is better than female, not sure how true was what. May i have anyone opinion on this? As this is the first time encountered this, single, unmarried, it is quite nervous and worrying about the condition. Also, i have been noticing my whole foot board is kind of pain sometimes when i walked....been wondering does it relates to this illness...

thanks very much in advance for anyone's opinion sharing.
Absolutely not true. It really depends on the surgical skills of the surgeon. Like I see Dr Ng Kai Lyn at gleneagles who is a female gynae and I’m so glad to have her as my gynae.

If you are on AIA, I think Dr Fong Yoke Fai should be on the panel. He used to be the head of gynae at nuh before coming out to private and a couple of my friends who have been treated by him said he was very good.

Hey all, just got diagnosed with early stage endo (which explains why my cramps are so bad and i always bleed so much).
The doc wants to prescribe me with Visanne, but my concern now is that the costs will add up.

My company's outpatient will not be sufficient to cover the consultation and months of the pill (my initial consultation was at Raffles hospital), and hence I may end up paying the bulk of the costs myself.
I doubt any insurance I have will cover since this is not A&E or hospitalisation/surgery.

Please share with me on the potential costs for Visanne, and if there is an alternative cheaper route to obtain it (perhaps via GP or polyclinic?).
I saw that KKH has subsidised costs for consultation, but will they subsidise Visanne as well?

Last edited:
Hi Zoshop,

My colleague’s fibroid reduced from 9cm to 3cm after taken the fish oil I suggested... I don know if it is coincidence but she said she didn’t take any other special food during that period before going back for review...
Hi, can i check did your colleague took fish oil from GNC? I mean if it helps why not :)

So glad I found this support group. I have been fighting fibroids since 26. I had 2 surgeries and recently found out my fibroids recurred again. Not sure if anyone found success with improving diet and exercising? Really don’t want to go through ops again.

I just went for my gynae checkup and the gynae said that I have 5 fibroids around 2.Xcm.
He said the fibroids may/may not affect pregnancy.
But if I am going for the surgery (keyhole), I will have to wait for 1 year before trying to get pregnant.

Hi, 41 this year. Only discovered that I have large fibroid 7cm-8cm & smaller ones when I went for fertility chek at thomson medical. The Gynaee recommended me to remove the fibroids before IVF. Since it was costly, I took referral to SGH. Dr said if I do not wish to conceive, then can just leave the fibroids alone. But Im undecided as i havent done any surgery before!

Hello, I’m turning 30 this year. I recently discovered that I have a few fibroids and one of them is 11cm. I was advice to go for surgery to remove them, especially that big one. Any recommendation of gynae at NUH ? Thanks in advance.

Hi, i be going for abdominal myomectomy similar to c sec to remove my fibroids this month. For some strange reasons, it grew rapidly from 6 fibroids to 10 fibroids different sizes and location. The biggest fibroid is 7cm and pressing on my bladder, hence open surgery to take out all at one go. Any post op advise pls, appreciate it. :)

hi , im consider old member , previously i hv joined sgmh tink when my son is still a baby , now hes 11 yo , and i got 2 elder dotters aged 22 and 19cming ,20.

recently i went for an u/s and was diagnosed with multiple fibroids biggest 7.5 cm , i noe i hv to go for surgery but im tinking of going to the tcm , maybe she can "tiao" my body , and possibly can shrink my fibroids a bit so tat i can hv more options for my surgery

anyone who had been to a good and affordable tcm ? can recommend me ? im looking thru the thread to see the testimonial of those who went to tcm . but if u hv been and find the tcm good , maybe u can pm me , so tat i can save the trouble of finding

btw sgmh got app or not , im looking at the website thru my hp browser a bit eyes straining

thank u!!

hi , im consider old member , previously i hv joined sgmh tink when my son is still a baby , now hes 11 yo , and i got 2 elder dotters aged 22 and 19cming ,20.

recently i went for an u/s and was diagnosed with multiple fibroids biggest 7.5 cm , i noe i hv to go for surgery but im tinking of going to the tcm , maybe she can "tiao" my body , and possibly can shrink my fibroids a bit so tat i can hv more options for my surgery

anyone who had been to a good and affordable tcm ? can recommend me ? im looking thru the thread to see the testimonial of those who went to tcm . but if u hv been and find the tcm good , maybe u can pm me , so tat i can save the trouble of finding

btw sgmh got app or not , im looking at the website thru my hp browser a bit eyes straining

thank u!!
hi there. just trying my luck and check if you have gotten any recommendations for good TCM; perhaps some member did PM you :) ?

i'm also diagnosed having multiple fibroids and i'm very keen to try TCM first. hope someone can help and provide TCM recommendations for this.

thanks in advance!

Hi lovely ladies! Guilty of not doing regular check-ups and is currently 30; recently diagnosed with an XL fibroid >11cm, couple of medium ones and a lot more tiny ones alongside a Polyp I decided to go to KKH as private patient and chose Dr Bernard Chern based on his resume. - this was my second doctor opinion after Dr Mary Yang from Gleneagles - and apparently an open surgery Myomectomy is the way to go - surgery on the 31st and feeling super anxious with zillions of questions
- Anyone has had experience with Dr Bernard Chern before? It seems he has a team so he mentioned he'll be there during the surgery but his team will be doing it
- How is KKH for aftercare? I selected A1 ward
- Did anyone have Mirena recommended? Any side effects etc? (I'm currently single so maybe that's why)
- Is open surgery the only option we have? I saw things like Uterine artery embolization (UAE)

Hi ladies! Thankful for this thread as it helps me feel less alone.

I went for follow-up for fibroid recently. Gynae did ultrasound pelvis scan for me and noted 1 cyst (~5cm) and 4 fibroids (largest ~6cm). :oops: She proposed 2 solutions: 1. Laparoscopy i.e. keyhole surgery and 2. Open surgery. Keyhole surgery can remove the cyst and largest fibroid. But it may not be able to remove the smaller fibroids. She said that the smaller fibroids remaining will have no impact on fertility and pregnancy. She recommended open surgery as the womb will be cleaner. Either surgery will have to do C-sect if delivering. I decided to do keyhole surgery next month.

Anyone can share any pre-surgery tips/advice on how to prepare and post-surgery tips/advice on how to recover well and fast? Appreciate thanks! :) Also, if anyone is going for surgery next month, can pm me and let’s give each other some support. :)

Last edited:
Hello there, I've just got discharged yesterday after my 1st (and hopefully the last ever!) laparoscopy for my endometriosis. Prior to discharged, the doc asked me to choose either to go on Visanne or Lucrin that will last for 3 months. With limited time for me to search on those side effects, I've chosen the Lucrin jab. My concern right now is to be able to conceive naturally and not getting my endo relapse.
Ladies, do share with me your experience with the Lucrin, and the possibility to conceive after the 3 months dosage. Almost all my reading was about woman regretting taking this option, is there any light to this?

Hi! Can share your experience with the Lucrin jab on endo? I just did my surgery to remove cysts and fibroids and also got diagnosed with moderate to severe endometriosis. Kinda down to learn of it. Now gynae gave me 3 options: 1) Take Visanne, 2) Take Lucrin jab and 3) Do not take anything at all. Gynae suggested these options during the downtime before ttc. I’m hesitant to take medicine. Anyone who has taken Visanne/Lucrin jab can share your experience? Now supposed to be my healing period but the discovery of endometriosis and thinking about the next step gave me a headache.

Hi ladies! Thankful for this thread as it helps me feel less alone.

I went for follow-up for fibroid recently. Gynae did ultrasound pelvis scan for me and noted 1 cyst (~5cm) and 4 fibroids (largest ~6cm). :oops: She proposed 2 solutions: 1. Laparoscopy i.e. keyhole surgery and 2. Open surgery. Keyhole surgery can remove the cyst and largest fibroid. But it may not be able to remove the smaller fibroids. She said that the smaller fibroids remaining will have no impact on fertility and pregnancy. She recommended open surgery as the womb will be cleaner. Either surgery will have to do C-sect if delivering. I decided to do keyhole surgery next month.

Anyone can share any pre-surgery tips/advice on how to prepare and post-surgery tips/advice on how to recover well and fast? Appreciate thanks! :) Also, if anyone is going for surgery next month, can pm me and let’s give each other some support. :)

Can share how much is your cost to do keyhole surgery? Able to share who your gynae?

Last edited:
Hi, i be going for abdominal myomectomy similar to c sec to remove my fibroids this month. For some strange reasons, it grew rapidly from 6 fibroids to 10 fibroids different sizes and location. The biggest fibroid is 7cm and pressing on my bladder, hence open surgery to take out all at one go. Any post op advise pls, appreciate it. :)
How was your myomectomy operation? Able to share your post op experience, gynae & cost of the surgery?

Hi lovely ladies! Guilty of not doing regular check-ups and is currently 30; recently diagnosed with an XL fibroid >11cm, couple of medium ones and a lot more tiny ones alongside a Polyp I decided to go to KKH as private patient and chose Dr Bernard Chern based on his resume. - this was my second doctor opinion after Dr Mary Yang from Gleneagles - and apparently an open surgery Myomectomy is the way to go - surgery on the 31st and feeling super anxious with zillions of questions
- Anyone has had experience with Dr Bernard Chern before? It seems he has a team so he mentioned he'll be there during the surgery but his team will be doing it
- How is KKH for aftercare? I selected A1 ward
- Did anyone have Mirena recommended? Any side effects etc? (I'm currently single so maybe that's why)
- Is open surgery the only option we have? I saw things like Uterine artery embolization (UAE)

hi, can share you experience with him? How did your fibroids surgery went thru?

appreciate thanks, a worried lady.

Last edited:
So glad I found this support group. I have been fighting fibroids since 26. I had 2 surgeries and recently found out my fibroids recurred again. Not sure if anyone found success with improving diet and exercising? Really don’t want to go through ops again.

Hi, I'm having same problem as you. I'm 38 this year and need to go for 2nd surgery as my fibroid is growing fast with size of 7cm. I have tried to consume sprouted grains and sweet potato leaves into my diet as advise by my TCM doctor in May 2022 but they say it work for fibroid size of 4cm and below. Maybe my fibroid size is too big to shrink as have only tried for 4 months.

Hello all, appreciate if any of you who has taken Visanne before or are still taking let me know of your experience (ie if you had any side effects and how long were you on the medication).

I did keyhole surgery last Nov and am supposed to start taking Visanne but have been putting it off as I’m afraid of the possible side effects. Thank you!

Hi, I have several new boxes of Visanne. Not needing them as I got pregnant after lap. Pls reach out if you are keen. Thanks.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Hello Ladies out there,

I am a very concerned mum as i was told my teenage girl has a fibroid slightly less than 5cm. As she is so young, I am at a loss.
I would like to consult 2nd opinion and really hope someone can recommend me a good doctor whom you had experience.

Thank you

Sorry to hear that about your daughter . Can try Dr Fong Yoke Fai. Very humble and down to earth doctor, experienced.

Sorry to hear that about your daughter . Can try Dr Fong Yoke Fai. Very humble and down to earth doctor, experienced.

Hello Gracewithus

thanks for your recommendation. My daughter prefers a female doctor :( I have googled and read Dr Fong is very experienced.

If possible, hope to have a few more names as options.

If anyone who knows of any experienced female doctor in this area, please also recommend.

Thank you!

Hi ladies, anyone did ultrasound and vaginal scan at kkh before? Just did mine and they brought forward the appointment. I'm so worried what could it be :oops: i decided to go for a check cos menses was a big jelly clot for a few months. And the person who did the scan asked if i bled recently (not menses) and i said no. Are fibroids and polyps so urgent that they will need to bring forward 2 weeks of appt :(

Hi, for your advice please. Do you have any recommendations for the Doctor who is good at Laparoscopy for big fibroid removal (around 9cm). I'm open to any doctors, public or private. Prefer the Doctor who is under Prudential insurance. Thank you so much!

Hi ladies, anyone did ultrasound and vaginal scan at kkh before? Just did mine and they brought forward the appointment. I'm so worried what could it be :oops: i decided to go for a check cos menses was a big jelly clot for a few months. And the person who did the scan asked if i bled recently (not menses) and i said no. Are fibroids and polyps so urgent that they will need to bring forward 2 weeks of appt :(
Hi wondering if you could share what was your progress now? Thanks

Hi all, I have 2 boxes of Visanne for sale at a lower cost. Was prescribed by my doc but now I do not need it anymore.

Do drop me a text if you are keen. 81981074

Anybody has recommendations of doc who are good at open surgery for fibroids?
I highly recommend Dr. Kelly Loi at Health and Fertility Centre for Women for open surgery on fibroids. Dr. Loi possesses exceptional expertise and a commendable track record in this field. Her commitment to patient care and surgical skills make her an excellent choice for addressing fibroids through open surgery. You can trust her to provide personalized and effective treatment.

Back