IVF/ICSI Support Group

@babycomecome @rainflower wao. U ladies are so disciplined. I couldn't even stay in bed for more than an hour apart from sleeping. I was roaming around the house. Trying to find things to do. Ended up checking my work email. I think work time passes fast. Hahahaha. But i wanna enjoy this holiday too. So My mom ended up doing all my groceries shopping so i can bake n cook tomorrow to kill time.
Skmm sis, dont overwork or over exert in the baking/ cooking process or whatever u do. Stay happy n relax is v impt during the 2ww.

Baking n cooking is a good way to distract the anxiety but dont stay in the hot environment for too long.. i think same logic as per no v hot showers and sauna.

Relax.. relax.. be happy

@Toolbox really??? So coincidental. I was in the ET room at abt 10.50am? Might have seen u during the wait. Hehehhehee.

@babycomecome @rainflower wao. U ladies are so disciplined. I couldn't even stay in bed for more than an hour apart from sleeping. I was roaming around the house. Trying to find things to do. Ended up checking my work email. I think work time passes fast. Hahahaha. But i wanna enjoy this holiday too. So My mom ended up doing all my groceries shopping so i can bake n cook tomorrow to kill time.

Hi skmm... try not to stand near oven or stove too long cos of heat that may affect embbies. :)

Good morning!
Happy Deepavali! Hope everyone is doing good.Could anyone share, what preparation do we need before we start our jabs day and do you take MC the whole day after the 1st morning scan and sequence scan?
-How often do we need to go back for scan during our jab stage?
-What is the name of the jab medication and what is the purpose? And any side effect after jabbing?
-Can we still take folic acids daily even during the jabs?
- Which part of the day did you jab? Morning or night time?
- Any discomfort after jab? Afraid it might affect my work after jab?
- Share you experience during the jab days.

Sisters... i am so depressed since yesterday.
Had my ER yesterday. Last scan before ER shows that i have 23 follicles, but yesterday they only manage to retrieve 4!!! Argh!! This is the worst number retrieved out of my 3 fresh cycle!

Now i also dont know these 4 can make it to ET or not...:(:(

7dp5dt (transferred my last 2 embryos) and BFN on the early predictor HPT.
Tried accupuncture and endometrial scratch this time round.
But still this, feeling heartbroken :(
Sista, don't give up hope yet. There is still the BT to confirm.
There is no guarantee but you still try your best so no regrets.
I hope you continue to stay positive. Hoping for the best for you

Had my ER yesterday. Last scan before ER shows that i have 23 follicles, but yesterday they only manage to retrieve 4!!! Argh!! This is the worst number retrieved out of my 3 fresh cycle!

Dearie, you need to try your best to stay positive, take good care of yourself so that your body is in best condition for transfer. At the very least, your 4 precious eggies definitely can do with your faith in them. Many sisters like the_spinsterella, Littlemonkies have conceived with their precious only one golden embie. Don't lose hope. Persevere, have faith & jia you!

Hi sister , don't give up. Sometimes , things come out is not as expected. I remember got one sister , she did strike it when she only got 1 embryo transferred. Good luck to you sister.

Hi sis, i know how u feel as i also retrieved 25 eggs and only 1 grade 3 for ET. Stay positive and out of depression. Maybe your 4 eggs are warriors of the batch and turn out to be bfp. Cheer up and stay strong for your 4 warriors.

Did dr say why only retrieve 4? Which clinic are U with?

@Skmm
Are you with NUH? If yes then we were definitely in the OT room around the same time. My transfer was at 1045 with Prof.

I agree with the ladies you need to be careful about baking. I enjoy baking too but staying away from it due to the oven heat.

Hi both,
Can I ask, are the jabs same as those as IUI? Also, is it required to jab on a daily basis as well? Thanks! Sorry for the questions, getting myself prepped up for December...
Assuming you will be on short protocol.
The stim jabs may be same or different but all same purpose, ie. to stimulate follicle growth. E.g. common meds include Puregon, Menopur, Gonal-F, Pergoveris
Dosage will be higher as you want to stimulate more follicles so as to retrieve as many as possible but under control to prevent over-stimulation (risk of OHSS).
Mid-way through the stimulation period (about 10-12 days), there is additional jab to suppress LH hormone (e.g. Orgalutran, Cetrotide, Ganirelix, etc) so that you will not ovulate naturally before planned egg retrieval.
In a long protocol, down regulation with LH suppressing med (e.g. Lucrin) is started earlier (about CD21) for 7-10days before starting stim injections.
When at least 2-3 or most of the follicles are at least about 18mm, the final jab (usually HCG horomne) is to be given at precisely 36 hours before egg retrieval to trigger maturation of the eggs so that they will be released and collected through OPU (oocyte pick-up) which is a ~15-20min egg retrieval procedure performed by doctor. For OPU, you will be under sedation.
Prior to the egg retrieval, you will be given oral antibiotics. Some docs may order this to be taken after OPU, so depends.

Good morning!
Happy Deepavali! Hope everyone is doing good.Could anyone share, what preparation do we need before we start our jabs day and do you take MC the whole day after the 1st morning scan and sequence scan?
-What is the name of the jab medication and what is the purpose? And any side effect after jabbing?

-If you are at KKH, sisters also with KKH have shared that you need to be prepared for 1/2 day required depending on the queue for scans. At TFC, doc is in only mornings before noon and it is pre-arranged appointment so you may be able to manage with time-off if you have earliest first few or the last appointment. So far have not heard of MC taken, it's just time-off or personal annual leave.

- Average 3 scans (some do only 2 scans and at most 4 scans) over a period of about 10 days

-See above reply to previous msg. Side effects have been seen to be inconsistent across ladies.
I referred to this article many times to mentally prep myself of the potential side effects when starting a fresh cycle - http://www.cityfertility.com.au/wp-...tility-Medications-and-Their-Side-Effects.pdf
As follicles grow, tend to feel increasingly bloated and ovaries areas feel tender. Minimise strenuous activities and no heavy lifting. In my first ivf, I was still working and only took HL after egg retrieval till BT. It is manageable.
The oral antibiotic may cause diarrhea for some people. The sedation drug may cause constipation for some ladies.
To prevent OHSS esp if you have many follicles, you are advised to already start adding more protein rich foods (also good for egg health) such as egg whites, fish, chicken to your diet and drink min 2L water daily.
Good reads on OHSS -1) http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Women/KKIVFCentre/Pages/OHSS.aspx ;
2) http://www.path2parenthood.org/article/are-you-at-risk-for-hyperstimulation-syndrome/

- Yes, continue folic acid throughout the IVF and even after. If you BFP, doc will advise any increase in folic acid dosage.

- Anytime of the day is possible so long as same time everyday and works best for you based on your daily schedule. Nurse will advise further and demo on first day when you collect the meds. Only the last HCG jab is given precisely 36 hours before OPU (for TFC, this jab is not self-administered and we have to go to 24-hour clinic for this jab usually night time)

- Injection site may hurt a little and may hurt more or bruise only if you hit a vein. Some meds give a stingy sensation that goes away once the med disperses. Nothing that will seriously affect work. If you are concerned, can take the jabs in evening or before sleep.

- If you are working, I feel work helps to keep me occupied and become oblivious to the side effects. Only thing is that I feel stressed at times due to frequent absence time required and also feel rush and worried at times thinking if we are eating well and taking care of body enough because of the lack of time outside work. Just do your best and rem that staying positive and mental strength is very powerful. Try keeping communication with hubby and getting support from this forum. What best then to get support from sisters who truly get you going through this.
Can find time to start thinking and preparing what you need to get and what you will do during 2ww.
When ever you have any doubts or qns, try to note it and grab opportunity to clarify with doc/ nurse whenever there is opportunity because it is really difficult contacting them unless you meet them at scan or procedure

Hope this helps. Jia you k! :)

Last edited:
Minnnie dearie, I too went straight to ICSI when results showed that DH swimmers not good for IUI. So I have never done iui. Typically if hubby's swimmers are ok and you do not hv any serious condition other than ovulation, doc like to suggest trying so-iui. You will also hv injections to stimulate follicle growth but with lower dosage then iui to inject sperms into your uterus. The fertilization will be in-vivo, i.e. within your body. Benefit is that the sperm that manage to fertilize the egg is the fittest having won the rest of sperms naturally.

Don't worry too much. Let your doc do the necessary, clarify any questions or doubts you have with your doc and hear her out first. Have faith that doc wants success for you with least burden or stress on you physically, financially, emotionally & mentally as much as you do. Jia you!
Thank you dearie, all the best to you too :)

Sisters, thanks for the encouragement. I will try to stay positive.. meanwhile waiting for the call from embryologist to update me on the eggies..

The stim jabs may be same or different but all same purpose, ie. to stimulate follicle growth. E.g. common meds include Puregon, Menopur, Gonal-F, Pergoveris
Dosage will be higher as you want to stimulate more follicles so as to retrieve as many as possible but under control to prevent over-stimulation (risk of OHSS).
Mid-way through the stimulation period (about 10-12 days), there is additional jab to suppress LH hormone (e.g. Orgalutran, Cetrotide, Ganirelix, etc) so that you will not ovulate naturally before planned egg retrieval.
In a long protocol, down regulation with LH suppressing med (e.g. Lucrin) is started earlier (about CD21) for 7-10days before starting stim injections.
When at least 2-3 or most of the follicles are at least about 18mm, the final jab (usually HCG horomne) is to be given at precisely 36 hours before egg retrieval to trigger maturation of the eggs so that they will be released and collected through OPU (oocyte pick-up) which is a ~15-20min egg retrieval procedure performed by doctor. For OPU, you will be under sedation.
Prior to the egg retrieval, you will be given oral antibiotics. Some docs may order this to be taken after OPU, so depends.

-If you are at KKH, sisters also with KKH have shared that you need to be prepared for 1/2 day required depending on the queue. At TFC, doc is in only mornings before noon and it is pre-arranged appointment so you may be able to manage with time-off if you have earliest first few or the last appointment. So far have not heard of MC taken, it's just time-off or personal annual leave.

- Average 3 scans (some do only 2 scans and at most 4 scans) over a period of about 10 days

-See above reply to previous msg. Side effects have been seen to be inconsistent across ladies.
I referred to this article many times to mentally prep myself of the potential side effects when starting a fresh cycle - http://www.cityfertility.com.au/wp-...tility-Medications-and-Their-Side-Effects.pdf
As follicles grow, tend to feel increasingly bloated and ovaries areas feel tender. Minimise strenuous activities and no heavy lifting. In my first ivf, I was still working and only took HL after egg retrieval till BT. It is manageable.
The oral antibiotic may cause diarrhea for some people. The sedation drug may cause constipation for some ladies.
To prevent OHSS esp if you have many follicles, you are advised to already start adding more protein rich foods (also good for egg health) such as egg whites, fish, chicken to your diet and drink min 2L water daily.
Good reads on OHSS -1) http://www.kkh.com.sg/Services/Women/KKIVFCentre/Pages/OHSS.aspx ;
2) http://www.path2parenthood.org/article/are-you-at-risk-for-hyperstimulation-syndrome/

- Yes, continue folic acid throughout the IVF and even after. If you BFP, doc will advise any increase in folic acid dosage.

- Anytime of the day is possible so long as same time everyday and works best for you based on your daily schedule. Nurse will advise further and demo on first day when you collect the meds. Only the last HCG jab is given precisely 36 hours before OPU (for TFC, this jab is not self-administered and we have to go to 24-hour clinic for this jab usually night time)

- Injection site may hurt a little and may hurt more or bruise only if you hit a vein. Some meds give a stingy sensation that goes away once the med disperses. Nothing that will seriously affect work. If you are concerned, can take the jabs in evening or before sleep.

- If you are working, I feel work helps to keep me occupied and become oblivious to the side effects. Only thing is that I feel stressed at times due to frequent absence time required and also feel rush and worried at times if we are eating well and taking care of body enough because of the lack of time outside work. Just do your best and rem that staying positive and mental strength is very powerful. Try keeping communication with hubby and getting support from this forum. What best then to get support from sisters who truly get you going through this.
Can find time to start thinking and preparing what you need to get and what you will do during 2ww.
When ever you have any doubts or qns, try to note it and grab opportunity to clarify with doc/ nurse whenever there is opportunity because it is really difficult contacting them unless you meet them at scan or procedure

Thanks so much! Jiayou too!

Hi dawn,

All e best to you. No i havent start anythg yet.
Not on natural ivf. My kkh doctor has left. I have put kkh on hold for e moment.

Currently, Discussing with my boss on e option of unpaid leave. Thereafter will be plugging courage n $ to take a gamble n embark on my fresh journey soon. Ya still trying for a #1...

Sort of last try for us liao.
You r def a show of great strength. Give it your best shot & stay positive.
Will you still be at KKH or changing doc? All the best ya! Jia you!

-If you are at KKH, sisters also with KKH have shared that you need to be prepared for 1/2 day required depending on the queue for scans. At TFC, doc is in only mornings before noon and it is pre-arranged appointment so you may be able to manage with time-off if you have earliest first few or the last appointment. So far have not heard of MC taken, it's just time-off or personal annual leave.

- If you are working, I feel work helps to keep me occupied and become oblivious to the side effects. Only thing is that I feel stressed at times due to frequent absence time required and also feel rush and worried at times thinking if we are eating well and taking care of body enough because of the lack of time outside work. Just do your best and rem that staying positive and mental strength is very powerful. Try keeping communication with hubby and getting support from this forum. What best then to get support from sisters who truly get you going through this.

Thank you DawnBB for your detail advise. But today is my 1st day full flow and tomorrow is my D2, should i wait to call in and go for my 1st scan on D3 or just walk in for my 1st scan? Any ladies got the same situation like me ? What will you do? Go in on D2 for the 1st scan without making an appointment?

You r def a show of great strength. Give it your best shot & stay positive.
Will you still be at KKH or changing doc? All the best ya! Jia you!
Am changing to private. Still thinking between 2 private doctors. Am definately no confidence in our qualities n getting very stressed when i think abt it,even now when cycle hasnt even started. Seems like failure rate very high. Sometimes even think of giving up n ask myself to stop wasting time money on this. But as u say,stress will not help. So asking myself not to stress over n leave it to fate n godness up there.

Not easy to brace 3rd fresh cycle after 2 failed cycles n no frozen.

I admire yr strength,dawn. U are 1 source of inspiration for me. Thank you n happy holidays

I am stressed n feeling tensed up at times. Any ladies having good relaxation techqnique,please share out.

Sharing my 1 technique that i learnt from fertility talk from a councellor :
Breath in deep through yr nose with mouth close,count 1,2,3,4 and slowly release e breathe out through yr nose to reach yr tummy. It helps me but when too stressed,this cant work also

Last edited:
Thank you DawnBB for your detail advise. But today is my 1st day full flow and tomorrow is my D2, should i wait to call in and go for my 1st scan on D3 or just walk in for my 1st scan? Any ladies got the same situation like me ? What will you do? Go in on D2 for the 1st scan without making an appointment?
Dearie, what about call in first thing tmr morning let them know it's your D2. If it is crucial to start scan & meds on D2, they should arrange for u to go in no matter what. So do standby urgent leave. If they say it is def ok to start on D3, then they will arrange appt for Thurs. Make sure you find out who you speak to if calling in case anything goes wrong. I know TFC can do same day appt for such cases so I can even turn up without calling & confident I get to see doc, maybe just hv to wait a bit. Not sure if any issues for above mentioned suggestions if consulting at KKH. Maybe fellow sisters with KKH can also advise.

Don't worry too much. Once you have a plan what you will do tmr, focus on today & hv a good day!

Dearie, what about call in first thing tmr morning let them know it's your D2. If it is crucial to start scan & meds on D2, they should arrange for u to go in no matter what. So do standby urgent leave. If they say it is def ok to start on D3, then they will arrange appt for Thurs. Make sure you find out who you speak to if calling in case anything goes wrong. I know TFC can do same day appt for such cases so I can even turn up without calling & confident I get to see doc, maybe just hv to wait a bit. Not sure if any issues for above mentioned suggestions if consulting at KKH. Maybe fellow sisters with KKH can also advise.

Don't worry too much. Once you have a plan what you will do tmr, focus on today & hv a good day!
Thank you so much DawnBB.

Any sisters from KKH have the same situation as me? Need advise what should i do.

Maybi u telephone in ivf centre at kkh now
fo explain yr situation n ask them for advise? Today is sat,not sure if they close at 1pm. Call now,2molo kkh is close. Normally they will advise d3 scan also ok. Got sis day 4 scan also if fall on public holiday

Any sisters from KKH have the same situation as me? Need advise what should i do.
Kkh ivf opens from 730am -1130am for scan. Suggest you call them early in the morning and ask for their advice. Alternatively, if you have the paper schedule for scanning, you can bring it along and queue for scan.
However, there will be long queue tomorrow for the scan, even at 730am. So, why not call first and if need to go for scan after the call, then head down too kkh? I think reach there ard 1030 is a good timing to clear off the really early birds. It takes us approximately 2-3hrs for the scan + doc session.

Am changing to private. Still thinking between 2 private doctors. Am definately no confidence in our qualities n getting very stressed when i think abt it,even now when cycle hasnt even started. Seems like failure rate very high. Sometimes even think of giving up n ask myself to stop wasting time money on this. But as u say,stress will not help. So asking myself not to stress over n leave it to fate n godness up there.

Not easy to brace 3rd fresh cycle after 2 failed cycles n no frozen.

I admire yr strength,dawn. U are 1 source of inspiration for me. Thank you n happy holidays

I am stressed n feeling tensed up at times. Any ladies having good relaxation techqnique,please share out.

Sharing my 1 technique that i learnt from fertility talk from a councellor :
Breath in deep through yr nose with mouth close,count 1,2,3,4 and slowly release e breathe out through yr nose to reach yr tummy. It helps me but when too stressed,this cant work also
You already know this but maybe having someone reminding you helps? So let the nosy me say this - what can you change or achieve from letting feelings of stress and tension grip you?

I will be lying if I say I don't worry at all. Ask my DH as he gets the brunt of my bugging sometimes. If I get started, there can seem to be no end to what I worry can let me down or go wrong. The breathing exercise you mentioned also doesn't work for me especially when the sense of negativity seems to fill up every space around me and every breath I take. Especially when you feel alone with time to spare but can't get motivated to do anything.

Just want to let you know that you are not alone. I think the following does help me
- Filling non-working times with routine simple chores or hobbies. Having a routine helps to keep you occupied and the simple chores/ hobbies to build quick sense of achievement & fulfilment. After all, life has to go on and it cannot be all about IVF.
- Set aside regular time in the week to get active for the blood circulation & endorphins! Initially it was daunting to start because I was a very inactive person. I just simply added brisk walking while listening to music up to 40min each time, about 3 times a week. When I feel really down or worried, I practice positive affirmations when I brisk walk. Then also look forward to weekends getting outdoors be it just going to market, shopping mall and jalan jalan.
- Hanging around very frequently in this forum and finding/giving support from/to other sisters here. I find that when I receive support or can help others, the happiness is felt deeply from the heart and very powerful and the positive energy builds up.

All the best sister. Not giving up is the courageous first step you have taken. Give it your best shot and no regrets. Jia you!

@Wynn0404 , if u r also seeing kk, I had mine on a Saturday afternoon and I called on Monday morning, they arrange for a scan on the same day. U just need to reach before 11am latest. They encourage to reach between 8-10am thou.

Good morning!
- up to u if u want to request mc or go work, I went back to work taking just time chit.
- I think first 6 days no scans then went back scan, after which another 2-3 additional scans which is nearer like 2-3 days apart. Depends on how your follicles are growing on the number of scans. I had 5 scans total over 14 days from starting
- abit stinging, but again depends on individual trash hold for pain. I had some blue black after hitting veins.
- yes u r to continue folic acid during jabs, doc will prescribe but I merely took prenatal supplement which already include frolic acid. So didn't need to buy doc prescription.
- I work daily after morning jab, no mc
- my med was gonal-f n a blocker which I don't remember the name. However from forums it's seems each May be given different med according to your doc n medical condition.

Last edited:
Thank you so much DawnBB.

To add on, I asked the nurse before. 12 noon is the cut off time. If you have menses before 12noon, it's considered D1 n u can do the scan at D3. If u have it after 12noon, than the next day considered D1. That being said, I spotted in the morning at 7-8am n full flow by 1pm on a sat. So I can do it on Monday or Tuesday according to the nurse. They arranged for Monday anyway when I called in the morning.

The first scan is to monitor your lining I think as a base before u start Ivf. Even thou I scan on Monday, I was told to start jab only the next day which is Tuesday.

Hope it clarifies.

The stim jabs may be Different but all same purpose, ie. to stimulate follicle growth. E.g. common meds include Puregon, Menopur, Gonal-F, Pergoveris

Hi dear .. aiyo y mine is start suppression first then grow follicles. Anyone with the same protocol as me? Supression jab needle bigger and i ended uo poking myself twice cos the 1st try the needle didnt manage to go into the fats counting down the days thru jabbing to egg retrieval ..

Same here... BT on thurs but I have spotting since Saturday... It's just not normal menses flow..
How to define bleeding for implantation?.....Feeling worry...
Hi sister, no worry .... Bleeding does not mean for bad news at least you still know you little one still fighting.... My BT is Fri, I did home test yesterday morning , it was negative , I have no symtoms and spotting so far.... Totally no mood since yesterday , waiting for miracle.... By the way, have you do HPT test at home ?

Hi sister, no worry .... Bleeding does not mean for bad news at least you still know you little one still fighting.... My BT is Fri, I did home test yesterday morning , it was negative , I have no symtoms and spotting so far.... Totally no mood since yesterday , waiting for miracle.... By the way, have you do HPT test at home ?
I have one HPT to use. But I really have no guts to try. Having disappointment every month of testing.... This time I so scared to use it.... I'm still hopeful but at the same time I don Wan to be so hopeful... Same hear hoping for miracle... 2ww down to 2 days... I keep looking at the calendar...

Yes, I'm taking CoQ10 in Ubiquinol form, 300mg daily. I also took this throughout the ivf (stim, ER, ET, 2ww) as doc confirmed ok.
Hi Dawn, your doc asked you to take ubiquinol 300mg per day? I am not sure about the dosage so I am taking only 200mg a day. I am same age as you :)

I have one HPT to use. But I really have no guts to try. Having disappointment every month of testing.... This time I so scared to use it.... I'm still hopeful but at the same time I don Wan to be so hopeful... Same hear hoping for miracle... 2ww down to 2 days... I keep looking at the calendar...
Ha ha ya ya good Luck to your BT. Wait for your good news on Thur , is this your fresh or FET cycle ?

I thought so too that it should be detected by now.... Really sad.... But since AF not in sight yet, holding on to a little hope still. Read up on cases where bfp were only detected at 16dpo, made me felt better. Pray we are still in the game. Gonna keep testing every morning until BT. Need to have time for reality to sink in before work resumes... Else I feel like quitting my job... too depressed to work haha
Hi sister , how are you ?

Hi Dawn, your doc asked you to take ubiquinol 300mg per day? I am not sure about the dosage so I am taking only 200mg a day. I am same age as you :)
Dearie, I added CoQ10 & dosage based on a book recommended by a blogger, who was battling infertility issues. The book is "It Starts with the Egg" by Rebecca Fett. Rebecca was an IVFer due to diminished ovarian reserve. To help herself, she put her degree in molecular biology and biochemistry to good use to research on what lifestyle changes and supplements would help to improve her chances. Ultimately she became a living example of hope as she succeeded to prove that the focus on egg quality does indeed pay off. She eventually had 20 eggs retrieved of which 19 fertilized and grew to good quality blastocysts.
If you only want to invest on one good reading before embarking on the IVF journey, this book would be my recommendation.
DH also took this CoQ10 at 300mg daily hoping to address any age and oxidative stress on his swimmers. When we were starting our fresh cycle, I checked with Dr Loh if can continue and he said ok.

Last edited:

Dearie, I added CoQ10 & dosage based on a book recommended by a blogger, who was battling infertility issues. The book is "It Starts with the Egg" by Rebecca Fett. Rebecca was an IVFer due to diminished ovarian reserve. To help herself, she put her degree in molecular biology and biochemistry to good use to research on what lifestyle changes and supplements would help to improve her chances. Ultimately she became a living example of hope as she succeeded to prove that the focus on egg quality does indeed pay off. She eventually had 20 eggs retrieved of which 19 fertilized and grew to good quality blastocysts.
If you only want to invest on one good reading before embarking on the IVF journey, this book would be my recommendation.
DH also took this CoQ10 at 300mg daily hoping to address any age and oxidative stress on his swimmers. As we were starting our fresh cycle, I checked with Dr Loh if can continue and he said ok.
Thanks dear, you are like a talking encyclopedia you really know a lot of things about ivf Y(^.^)Y
Ok, I will also up my dosage, I am cycling in Jan, hopefully still on time :)

Back