Premature babies support group

gingal, thanks for the advice on feeding. Really huh? If he is hungry, just feed? Ok, will go that. Cos' he seems hungry after 2 hours. I think in the hospital, the nurse will give him pacificer if he cries and no feed. Btw, I am interested in your dresses. How much is it and how do I place my order?

Jas, great to hear that Xavier is latching on well! The time of nursing is very wonderful hor?

kkf, thanks for the concern. Yes, Nate's hernai surgery went quite well. He is going to be reviewed in 2 weeks time. Hope they can remove the clear plaster.

thanks gingal for the PM. Will confirm with you on the order again.

Need to check with mummies here. Nate has not poo since tuesday. That's about 4 days already. Is it a cause for concern? He is on TBF with supplements of iron, protein, MCT from KKH. Should I bring him to a doctor? He has quite good wet diapers averaging 6-8 a day.

hi Lilac,

Xavier has the same issue. He poos once every 4-7 days. I checked with doctor, doctor said if he is on TBF, even up till 12-14 days are still normal. If he doesnt look uncomfortable and his stools are normal, you dont need to be worried
happy.gif

Jas, thanks for the advice. Hope he poos soon cos' today is already the 5th day. I don't know if it is because he is premmie so that's why he strains and stretches alot or because he is uncomfortable. Probably will ask doctor when we head down to the polyclinic on Tuesday.

Jas/Lilac,

Me also had this problem on Jerlynn pooing only every 5 days, went to see GP/Neonat/PD and all only concern whether Poo Poo is soft and normal colour....if it is still soft, they say it's normal...
But Jerlynn was sooo uncomfortable in not pooing and she will fart alot alot...so after hearing recommendations and my dad insist, we brought her to YuGuo Chinese Physician for baby massage aka Tui Na...1st day of the 3 days session, she pooed...then after dat she will poo everyday and at most once every 2 days til now. I think it has been abt 3 months liao, and we never have this problem again...plus she has very bad protuding belly button (Neonat says its normal also and will go down in 6 to 12 mths time), we cant wait, cos it looks ugly, after the massage it slowly went down liao and now her button is normal...

Hi all..

Thanks for the well wishes... Ive been terribly so busy with them these few days..

Lilac,

Its normal for small babies to stretch and make funny noise a lot ... its very common .. its not an issue.. they will stop once they are bigger... The time when mattias come home.. he makes the noise when sleeping throughout.. but we got so immune to the noise ..haha

Gingal, thanks for recommending Yu Guo. Seems like TCM is quite popular, eh? Maybe should bring Nate for a massage or something like that.

Nate finally poo after almost one week of not pooing!! And he pooed so many times - 3 times to be exact. Think he cleared his one week worth of shit lor...

Sam, thanks for assuring me that its ok for babies for make funny noises. Nate made quite alot and yes, especially even when sleeping. Grunting alot...

Babies tend to "gek"...
and Premmies "gek" even more!!!!

Maybe cos our fighter Premmies can't wait to grow up faster and catch up with the others, so they "gek' aka "stretch" alot more!!!

Even now Jerlynn also always stretch esp when sleeping...

hi mummies,

can try putting baby on tummy to sleep. it does help in pushing out the wind and also in the pooing. actually if baby is on breastmilk, they should poo everyday unless it is formula then they become quite constipated....

the noises are quite normal. a bit like hyenas hor :p

Hi Hi,

What happened? Our thread seemed getting really slow these days? Hmmmm, How is everyone?

My hubby's cousin's wife has just gave birth to a 30 or 31 weeker last tuesday. She is a Vietnamese and not very good with English, hope I can invite his Cousin in to this thread and join David as a Daddy here...Heard that now KKH doesn't allow Grandparents to visit baby liao ah? Only Parents are allowed?

Hi Mums,

Here to make some noise. How's all our warriors. Too busy with princess, queen and business traveling and meeting. Danya still gaining weight very slow. She is only 3.7Kg. Doc did her review last week and plan to further increase her weight to 5 kg before ops. With the rate Danya weight is increasing, I guess could be December for her ops.

Hi,
My baby gal - Megan arrives at 34wks - weighs at 2.17kg. I had low placenta, and was bleeding. The gynea advised me to go for an emergency c-section. Megan is discharged from hospital after staying 1 night in NICU and 4 nights in the nursery. She didnt have much complication, and is at home with us for more than 1week. The PD did not mention that she has any abnormality, does it mean that we can treat her like a full-term baby when it comes to development stages? Anything to watch out for regarding premies?

gingal, when did u change ur name??? over here, no noise i guess means good news..means all bb peacefully growing up healthily and parents are not seeking assurance from the rest...

nowadays i am more busy.. morning will search for new posts for last 12 hrs... if no post. i wont come in ahahha..so i think i miss alot...

celline, 34weeker 2kg is good
happy.gif
dont have to worry much and lookout for much
happy.gif
... really
happy.gif

david..ahaha... danya is silently protesting..she does not want to go op :p

Hi David,
Dun rush Danya bah...let her take her time if the Op can wait...

Hi Celine,
34 weeks is a good gestational age, at least to most of us here. I think u can treat baby as Full-term baby bah...shouldn't be worrying at all...
happy.gif
take Care

Bloom,

I just changed, but username still gingal loh, so everyone can still recognise me...keke
Changed cos I feel I'm FAT but still am a Delicious Babe!!! hahaha....:p

Share some good news:

Jerlynn has been discharged from her Daily Poly-Vits and Iron Drops...she no longer needs them anymore...Hooray!!! No need to keep remembering whether I have added them already anot everyday...

Hi Bess & Bloom & Gingal,

Danya body is highly efficient leh. Feed her more that what her weight require and still gain very little leh. With her intestine in a open condition, all the milk and nutrient simply pass through.

We hope to have the ops done sooner so that she can absorb all the goodies even faster. The challenge nowadays is to drain and change her STOMA bag. 2 weeks agao, so was wiggling so much during a draining session, her POO POO spill out from her STOMA bag and stain all over the changing mat and our bed. After change the bed sheet and protector, I can still smell the aroma of her POO POO. Ha Ha.

Hi Gingal,

Hurray & Good news, not more lousy smell of Poly Vits. I bet Jerlynn will enjoy her food more.

Hi Celline,

Warrior Megan has a good weight. My warrior Danya is a micro preemie (590gram). Take care of Megan like a full term babe. Take extra care especially on her feeding time. Don’t extend beyond 4 hours for a start as our warriors are born smaller than the rest. Have fun.

gingal, regarding the restriction on visitors - only parents are allowed to visit. The grandparents are banned from entering the nursery. I remember a couple wanting to bring their parents into the SCN and was told by the nurse to advise the grandparents to view from outside. In the end, they pushed the cot near the window for them to see. So quite strict.

David, glad to see you here again. Danya is doing very well to reach 3.7kg. Continue to encourage her which I am sure you are already doing it. Jia you to you and Diana.

Celine, 2 kg is really a good weight. 34 weeks is considered as premature but your baby should be doing really well. So don't worry about it.

Yesterday, brought Nate to the hospital for his first review since his discharge 2 weeks ago and I HATED IT.... We literally spent half a day there meeting with the dietician, doctors, therapist etc. The visits made me feel very vulnerable... like each visit is to see what new issues there might be.... Oct will be another round of visits again.... Of course, the visit is to assure me that Nate is doing well and no development problem etc but I can't help but feel upset at having to return to the dreaded place...Sigh....

dear mummies,

i am so upset and angry that i can cry...
i just received notification that the education plans that i wanted to get for my son would not be approved at this point in time. I would have to wait until he is one year old before the insurance companies would consider my application...
what is wrong with all these pple ! apparently they are scared that premies would have all the health complications etc etc
I am not even looking at buying whole life, just a simple education fund...

what a whole lot of B*** even medisave side wants to evaluate. i thot gov side should cover...aiyo i am so upset.

there is nothing wrong with my son, he is growing so well...my agent told me that it is no use even if i were to submit a doc letter vertifying that my son is doing well

gingal,
congrats on small milestone! hahhaah i rememeber those vitamin drop days.. so many things to add, and i always tot they make the milk taste yucky!

Hi Lilac,

The visit back to KKH is no fun but it is always good that Nate is constantly being follow up so that any early intervention will be suggested if require. I will Jia You together with my princess Danya and queen Diana. Cheers.

Hi Swan,

Be patience. My princess Medishield was turn down until her operation is complete. The staff from CPF told me to re-appeal with a Doc letter and they will reconsider her case. So I just have to be patience and wait for Danya's ops to be schedule. Don't let anger get to your head, our young warriors will feel our emotion. Cheers.

Hi daddies & mummies..

Any ideas why premature babies temperature keep dropping? Got a fren deliver her bb at ard 35-36weeks, weighing ard 2.4kg last week. Baby have been in and out of special care at KKH.. He turn purple with low temperature on Sun but out on Monday, now back on special care ward again..

Hi Anya,

Human body temperature is control by our central neuro system which is somewhere located at the spine/skull joint area. Most of our young warriors are so eager to see the world and they do not have sufficient time to have every body component map up.

Most of our warriors will need sometime to have this function map up. Cheers.

Hi David,

Thanks..will it post a threat to the baby?so is common to happen to preemies? Oh the baby was delivered early due to mummy experiencing high blood pressure..

Celine, my girl is born 34 weeks too. she is 2.778kg when born. actually, for 34 weeks, the baby has already fully develops, just needs to gain weight for the rest of the pregnancy, so you can just treat megan as normal babies. My girl is pretty fast in development, no difference with other babies born full term. So no worries!

helllo mummies n daddy, long time never post here cause busy busy busy as all the stupid exams like psle and sa2 are approaching and i am teaching those weaker students so i am really having a hard time and struggling with them. sigh.

gingal ur cousin's wife also gave birth prematurely? More and more premature cases hor? i read fr chinese newspaper yesterday. anyway, think they are going to put up a show on premature baby on 9th october 830pm channel 8.

David, hope danya gains weight fast fast.

violet is 8 plus months now...and dash is going to be 4 years old! my two warriors!
happy.gif

Hi Anya,

Yes, it is quite norm for premmies and even some full term babies may experience some degree of body temp fluctuation for the first few days. My princess was delivered in Feb due to Pre-eclampsia which causes high BP and other complication.

Hi KKF,

Can imagine, PSLE coming so. You must be so so busy. Happy children's day to your 2 warriors Dash & Violet.

To All Mummies,

Happy children's day and a happy latern festival.

Hi david
thanks so much for your reply..cos they are too anxious so they are much more worried about baby falling temperature..they tot they are losing him..

David,

Haha...Poo Poo smells good at this stage leh... wait til Danya can eat solids, then u know what is stinko!
I still miss Jerlynn's "Milk only Poo poo"

The sweetness of Poly-Vits very lousy smell i agree...it is super sweet but not nice-smelling sweet...and iron drops worst, abit bitter I think...
She is enjoying her Food, but she dun like her milk liao...her weight gain is getting slower, and height gain worst...now height is at 25%tile, Katek Ayam...

Really need alot of patience here for Danya's weight gain...Hope she can have the Op soon...better before she begin liking to rollover here and there while u change her...cos that will be lagi messier...
Keep us update of the good news soon....

lilac,

My hubby's cousin's baby is transferred to SCN liao, Grandparents cannot go in still, can only "bio" outside the windows loh...
My MIL say "heng loh" she can still hug Jerlynn and feed Jerlynn last time, now her sista can only see...

His baby is borned 31 weeks, but doctor say he can only discharge him with at least 46 days of stay...dunno why leh? i thought once hit 2kg and 35 weeks can discharge liao, wonder why the doctor so definite to say at least 46 days...
Has KKH changed their discharge rules to 37 weeks?

Visits for KKH's appt:

Actually I quite like going for the appointments leh...can bring her around and shop shop and she enjoys the car ride...
Every visit make us more aware of what is going on and what she will encounter, i feel more at ease after each development check...Think positive, makes u feel good for the appts...
We still have years to go to KKH for appts loh...
I go till the staffs at First Few Years and Mothercare somewhat know me liao...hahahaha

Swan,

Me too...all the policies not approved and will come back ask me for this and that, until i Pek Chek tell the Agent "Forget It'...
The agent see Jerlynn personally and say nothing wrong with baby, dunno why the coy so skeptical...she also headache, earn less $$$...hahaha

David,

Medishield I thought Auto? Will be turned down meh? Is it u upgrade it, dats why it was turned down?
CPF's Medishield was Auto approved for Jerlynn, but when we wanna upgrade, they turned down...

Sam,

If u dun mind, can I ask my hubby's cousin if he need for his boy? i will PM u if I need it ok? Thanks

kkf,

Yah alot premature cases...my fren just msn me say her hubby's SIL also, now bedrest at SGH, 26 weeks only..waterbag burst, bleeding liao...
Think these 2 days will have to C-sect...she worried cos 26-weeker, but I told her , I know some babies who survive well who were also 26-weeker...
happy.gif

Hope she can encourage her SIL. BTw, she walked-in KKH but was turned down by them and asked to go SGH, as KKH NICU is FULL...wonder what she meant by turned down...did they arrange ambulance for her, or just shoo her away?
Hmmmmmm...i thought already waterbag burst and bleeding and all, they shld settle the mummy down first...worst come to worst, really no bed then transport baby to SGH...why they turn her down like dat?

anya,

Yes, have Faith...all will turn out well...

Hi Gingal,

Medishield is not auto. We have to submit the declaration form. I had stated Danya's medical condition in the declaration form. CPF thrown out our case and told us to submit a backing report and re-apply for Medishield once her operation is completed.

David,

Hmmmm then so funny leh, why i received a letter with a certificate stating Jerlynn is covered under Medishield liao? I nvr send in any application leh....Hmmmmm

Just brought nate for his eye review. Doctor mentioned that his ROP is not regressing and that it seems that the eye is not fully developed. Will have to go back for another review next week. Super sian.... We are thinking if we should seek a second opinion cos the eye doctor seems a little as a matter-of-fact doctor... like he machiam see many cases liao so this is just another case for him. Plus when we go back next week, it will be another doctor who will be checking nate. We really prefer one who can continue to follow-up and is more personal lor... I remember someone mentioned about an eye doctor from Mount Alvernia. Can recommend? Well, at least Nate is putting on weight. Is 3.55kg now. Was discharged three weeks ago at 2.3 kg.

Hi Gingal,

Danya case too special lah. Have to declare her health status for Medishield coverage. BTW, I like yr cute baby model in your BP. Jerlynn look soooo cute.

Hi Lilac,

Don't worry, ROP can be easily resolve by laser if they progress to Stage 3. On the positive note, Nate is having a good weight gain. Soon he will reach "Michelin" status soon. Ha Ha.

hi all,
how's yr premmies? have been MIA for long, so busy, sian and tired. hm pc just set up only cos spoilt loh. nearly lost this thread wor....Hx is getting noti liao. really bu tahan him....

<font color="aa00aa">gingal</font>,
me also still got wobble and bloated tummy. bloated esp after meal like 3-4 mth preggie. sian.

Hx also prefer solid food (he on 3 solid meal now) than milk now. he even can 'pui pui' his milk out. sometimes, really need to scold him and he will display his most pitiful look and fake cry. neo-natal doc said that HX weight gain is growing slower but height and head circumference ok.

last time, i remember doc at SCN also mentioned that HX needed at least 47 days of stay.

re: policies.
same same too.

re;poly-Vits and Iron Drops.
since I still have 2 more bottles, will let HX finish it cos not cheap wor. for Iron dropm HX still need it cos neo-natal doc said that his blood count
just ok only...still need to monitor. so when is J next appt? mine will be end of dec (4mth later).

<font color="aa00aa">Bloom</font>,
hi, how's Kate?

<font color="119911">lilac</font>,
hmm...tot the plaster will be removed few days later. HX 'plaster was remove 2 days later.

hi afcai.. wah.. ur hb setup the pc so fast.. (i thot i just read in ur blog last week..)... kate is doing fine thank you
happy.gif

<font color="119911">bloom</font>,
not hubby set up. he so busy and working late. my brother helped me to set up the DIY pc.....still got 2 blog to update. got to recall bck.

<font color="0077aa">xbliss,</font>
Aiyoh Boh Pian, tried to source for boy's clothing but not much varieties, and mostly ppl are selling in BP liao...so dun wan to sell the same...

<font color="0077aa">David,</font>
Thanks...I'm sure soon Danya will be sitting up like J and u can model her too...

<font color="0077aa">afcai,</font>
J's next appt will be 6 mths time, when her CA is 12mth old...in March 2010...
happy.gif

afcai, no leh, the doc/nurse did not remove the plaster leh. The plaster was only removed when we brought him back for the doctot to review his overall health. We have not seen the surgeon who did the operation for review yet. Suppose to be next week but they postphoned it to end of Nov.

David, ya hope that Nate's ROP will not be so serious till he needs laser....

Swan, how come they reject you? Was your baby born very premature? Cos' Nate was born at 28 weeks but was automatically covered under my hubby's medishield. CPF even sent a letter to notify us. I hope yours will go through smoothly. It must be really frustrating for you.

hi lilac,

they have not rejected me yet but they send me a letter saying that they need to check with my pd on my son health before they can decided whether to go ahead on the coverage....

super sian man

<font color="aa00aa">ginger</font>,
oic. HX next appt is 4mth time (since 15/9) so will be her CA 9mth.

<font color="119911">lilac</font>,
hmm..how long the plaster being pasted. initially, we are worried abt the plastic. but nurse said not to worry just treat it normally. just remember to dry clean can liao.

oic. who is the surgeon. mine is an indian guy - dr samual (think something like that). he is quite friendly etc....

anyone want the followings, giving it FOC:

1) mothercare coupon
-20% off packed sleepsuits &amp; bodysuits
-15% off mothercare brand toys
all expire in dec 2009. valid in mothercare sg stores only except metro paragon.not valid for fixed priced and net price items.

2) All in one Dumex growing up milk 2x sachets (expiry mar 2010) + $3 voucher (expiry in 31/12/09).

3) Enfaschool sachet (expiry april 2010)

4) Some preluv long sleevless jumper suit for 6-9mth. condition:8.5-9/10

do pm me. if no takers then will relist in FOC thread.

Back