Premature babies support group

costa

anyone out there has a premature baby? would you like to share yr advice abt nicu and how long yr baby has to stay in hospital and also the pblems that you hv?

thanks

Hi costa,

There is another thread on premature babies but it hasn't been active for a long time.

I also have a premature baby who is now 14 months. He is born at 34 weeks, but thank goodness, he only need to stay in NICU for half day observation. He is doing well now though a little slow in reaching development milestones as compare to other kids born around the same time. For example, other kids at his age started to walk independently but he still hasn't. However, I think I will not be worrying so much, he will be able to do what he is suppose to do when he is ready.

I'm rather worried about premature labour in subsequent pregnancy because we may not lucky for the 2nd time. I heard that the hospital bill can go up to $50k for one month NICU stay

Hi,

I also have a preemie. She is born 7 weeks early (33wks) at 1.89kg. She was in NICU for 13 days. The doc wanted to discharge her earlier but I wanted her to stay longer as I think the nurses will do a better job than me.

I visit her twice a day; bring her breast milk and doing kangaroo care. She is now 11weeks old and I agree with Page Up that the development of preemies takes longer than a full term baby.

I'm also worried if my second pregnancy will be the same. Hence, I am considering closing my factory.

Her total bill came up to $7.4k

Hi,

My son was born a 29 week-er 1 year ago & stayed in NICU/SCN for about 2.5 months. It was a very trying & tough period for us 1st-time parents. But the doctors & nurses did their best to explain the details. We visited him twice a day, everyday. Brought EBM to store for his feeds, kept him company, talking & cuddling him as much as possible.

The major problem for my son was his undeveloped lungs. His breathing was assisted by machines for more than 1 month. Thereafter, it was to wait for him to learn to breath on his own, bottlefeed & gain minimum weight before being discharged.

Total bill was around $40k.

costa here,

thanks everyone for the advice.....my bb is really premature and is still at nicu

now he is 1.8 kg , wonder how long more he will stay in nicu as i agree that the hospital can do better than us in looking after them

yvonne, may i noe who is taking care of your baby now and do you need a qualified person to take care or you take care of yr son yrself....

Depending on hospital and the docs, some discharge the babies when they are above a certain weight or baby can breathe clearly on his/her own, or the baby can mantain normal tempreture on his/her own.

Or all three conditions.

I recently borrowed books on preemies from our library. They are very comprehensive. You may wish to read to gain more information.

BTW, how many weeks premature was your boy?

Hi costa,

I can totally understand what u're going thru & feeling now. Rest assured NICU will take extremely good care of baby. My son was merely 1.48kg at birth but is now a very active, happy 9kg-er 12mth old.

I too had the same worry; whether am I able to take care of him. So we never hurried for his discharge but rather he be ready on his own time to come home.

I took additional 2 months leave (after 3 months maternity leave) to take care of baby on my own. It'll be very good to learn as much as u can from the nurses on how to take care of baby. Now baby is taken care by my maid in the day & myself in the nite. Other than the tough first 2-3 months of trying to settle into a routine/schedule, being more attentive to his needs, there's little difference in daily basics.

Do learn as much of baby's condition & progress so that u know what symptoms & attention is needed.

Feel free to PM if u want to chat more.

yvonne,

thanks for your advice...my bb is really tiny, half of wat yr baby was at birth....

i dun tink i can take so long leave again becuz i hv taken too much leave during my pregnancy...

how big was yr baby when he was discharged...?

yr company is good to allow you to take so much leave....i also dun noe whether to quit or not, really very troubled...

hi costa,

sorry to hear of baby's condition. how many week is baby at birth? u must hv a really tough pregnancy...

which doctor or team is baby under in NICU? my baby was in the blue team under Dr Agarwal/Dr Melissa then. we still visit the NICU team whenever we're back in KK for check-ups. actually, was there last week & had wanted to meet with u if u're keen.

indeed, i was lucky to hv kind and understanding boss & colleagues who help during my absence. it also crossed my mind to quit, if need to. not that we can afford but will do so when crunch time comes.

baby was 3.3kg when discharged, after almost 3 months stay.

yvonne,

my bb was a 24weeker and my second child

my baby is under blue team and was under dr balvani (sorry, dun noe the correct spelling) but now he has been transferred to SCN - NICU due to minor infection of the nose...so he is now at scn (not at the normal NICU wif many many babies)..he has to be isolated....

my baby has stayed about 2 months plus and is 2.090 kg now..hopefully okay...he also has grade 3 bleeding of the brain but thank goodness the clot has subsided....

sorry for long story.....hope to meet you one day...

Hi, my baby is also premature at week 31. Now she is 8 months old. I still don't know what triggers my premature birth.

My MIL said i walk too much and did yoga. I am very guilty even up till today. As i had cause her suffering.

Wish to have another one but am afaid same thing might happen.

hi ahmui,

I also did yoga during my pregnancy and I delivered my boy at 34 weeks. I have asked my gynae and he said the reasons are usually unknown, it could be due to infection or other condition like pregnancy induced hypertension, which I had during my last pregnancy. However, they are certainly not due to light exercise we did.

I'm now pregnant again and I do worried that the same thing will happen again. Nevertheless, I am not going to give up exercise, I guess we just need to let our gynae do close monitoring at later stage of pregnancy

Hi ladies, sorry i may be in the wrong thread. But i am searching for the answer to a big question in my mind for the last 3 months.I gave birth to my boy at 25 weeks. The pediatrician asked my hubby 2,3 times whether he should resuscitate our baby. My hubby was appalled. That goes without asking right?? 2nd 3rd try was still futile and the Pediatrician looked rather nonchalant. My hubby was asked the last time whether to continue resuscitating. He chose to give up thinking our baby was suffering too much to stay alive.

My question is: AS we didn't know what to expect, how shld we have handled such a situation? SHld we insist that our baby be sent to NICU even tho resus did not seem to work at that moment in time?
Did we give up to simply? Did we make a grave mistake by saying "give up"?

I am still sad till today and seeing other 25weekers surviving, ours did not. Need some advice and experience sharing please..

Sylvia,

You are not in the wrong thread. I was in the same dilemma (my story is too long to say here), i have gone thru so much pain in the last few mths that tears just roll down my face when i think about it (even until now)..

KKH policy is to save the child if the child hits 24 wks but there are risks to 24 wker babies like mine....

for eg, lung problems as its not developed, eye pblems, bleeding in the brain etc etc

so we do not know whether our decision is right or wrong, until NOW, at this moment i dun noe if i am right or wrong....

the doctor had explained to us the risks of babies born so early and usually such preemies hv to stay in hospital for long periods of time and i wonder if i had made him suffer even more....

Dun be sad (i noe i may not be in the position to say this) but be positive and good things will come yr way

Hi Costa,

Be positive! Yr baby is a FIGHTER, having made leaps of progress in the last 2 months! Gained almost 3x the weight! Sounds like baby will be ready to go home soon, after recovering fr the minor infection. So not worry too much.

I remember the isolation rooms at SCN. It's quieter and more conducive for baby to rest. So which nurse is taking care of baby now? The doctors are very cautious when baby has any form of infection, isolation are ordered readily. This also prevents further contraction of other infection since baby's immunity is lower during this time.

Premmies are more vulnerable to infection, particularly chest infection. My son gets the flu/cold quite easily, was hospitalised for mild bronchitis early this year. Then again, which baby/toddler does not get the flu/cold??!! Just that ours will need slightly more precaution in the 1st 2 years.

During son's NICU days, I got to know 2 premmies, 24wk (600g) & 26wk (900g) who had grade 3 & 1 bleeding in the brain, contracted infection, had PDA ligation op done etc but all recovered fine. Both babies stayed closed to 3 months & discharged weight around 3kg. Weight gain accelerates once the basic development stabilised.

Personally, the toughest part of the journey is the beginning where baby's survival is a big question mark. After that, it seems relatively easier (not to say it's easy to bring up kids), esp when I recall how baby had fought for his life.

Sylvia & Costa,

You definitely DID NOT make a wrong decision to give baby a chance of survival due to unforeseen circumstances.

My heart still pains when I look at son's pictures taken in NICU days, recall the ordeal of his operation at only 2weeks old, etc.

All parents & esp MUMMIES are great beings! Like what Costa said, be positive and things will turn around.

Yvonne,

Right now, my eyes are also tearing when i think of my son in NICU...the experience is overwhelming and I oso wonder why it had to happen to me....i had a traumatic pregnancy with infections, bleeding,surgery, staying in hospital plus tis.....smtimes i wonder how i made it thru

Also, I stayed in hospital for close to one and a half months due to tis pregnancy (before giving birth).Before that, had stayed on and off for periods from 3 days to one wk due to bleeding)

The whole thing is really traumatising...my hb actually just broke down and cried when the counsellor spoke to him whilst i was in Woman's ICU for two days after giving birth.....

You are right to say that preemies are prone to chest infections. My elder son who is a full term baby and now six years old also prone to fevers and colds whilst he was young..who is to say that full term babies fall sick less often? No one knows the answer also...

My son has also ROP Stage 2 and a bit of Stage 3,now regressing to Stage 2, hopefully it wld be better..

The nurses taking care of him changes everyday but everyone has been very nice, i really must salute their patience and professional care..

Costa,

Take heart! You are a fighter too and will come out a stronger person. I'm sure you're nearing & seeing the light at the end of the tunnel very soon. ALL WILL BE WELL.

I had placenta previa major 2, with super high chance of bleeding. Bleeding came, waterbag burst, mild contractions, etc, all happened so fast, I didn't hv a chance to think through.

Yes, u're right that the experiece is very overwhelming. I cried everyday during son's NICU days. Tears just rolled whenever I thought of & looked at him. Felt it was my fault not to take more care during pregnancy and caused him such risk. Felt so helpless that I couldn't take over the pain & discomfort of needles & tubes on him.

Another premmie's mummy who saw the daily crying, actually took the liberty to talk to me. She said that baby can feel when mummy is happy or sad. It's no good to cry cos baby will be sad too & this doesn't help with the development. From then on, I tried very hard to hold back the tears or walk further away when I can't control.

Bcos this mummy is so strong, I knew I had to be too, to pull through this crisis. Her premmie had all the similar problems (infection, ROP, PDA, blood clot, etc) & went through all surgeries. Eventually discharged after nearly 6mths stay.

Yvonne,

U are right that we will come out of tis a stronger person.....

i blamed myself for not taking care too but the gynae said that it wasnt our fault and never was...things just happen for a reason

a mummy i met there also told me that the baby can feel it, so i try to be as positive whenever i see him....but now working, abit difficult to go everyday....

When my kid was on Cpac the first day,i oso cried because i thot he really looked like he was in a difficult state but the nurses told me that it was a major improvement and i shldnt cry

i was amgst the last in my family to see him the first few days he was born as i was in icu but when i saw him the first time, i din cry but later on, almost every time i saw him, my eyes wld tear and really had to swallow back...

The counsellor had spoken to me many times and also gave me good advice on wat i shld do...really appreciative of every person i met in kkh....

Thank goodness the bad days are over.,,,and i can onli look forward to the better days ahead

Dear everyone,

I too cried every single day since she was born. Till today I still wonder what went wrong. I'm really afraid of going for #2.

People chided me for not taking care of myself during confinement. But do these people have a preemie child? I was also criticised for not inviting them for hospital visits. But my hospital policy states no visitors except parents. Even grandparents are allowed to visit only once during the stay. I absolutely hated when people tried to comfort me by saying so and so had a preemie and they are ok. It is not motivating at all!! - to me at least.

I remember breaking down very badly one night. I was almost unconsolable. It's good to have a counsellor around. Unfortunately, I don't have any.

I have no words of comfort for everyone. I need some myself. But I think we should pen it here as an outlet to vent.

Costa,

have the hospital let you kangaroo your baby yet? I swear by it. My baby's weight gain increased ever since I kangaroo her.

happy.gif

Costa,

Good that u realize how strong u can be. It's been a year & I'm still amazed how I pulled thru. But of cos, hubby had been the solid pillar, quietly supporting us too.

Yeah, it's heartache to see the CPAP pushed up the nose so tightly day & nite. The struggle is very obvious when baby is put on cycling. My son was so happy when taken off for the few minutes, then fought so hard when time to put it back.

I even cried when doctors had to re-insert some needles on his hands, after baby had all needles/tubes taken off for a few days. It just hurts so much.

Agree that everyone at KKH is very helpful. Even the counsellor... Majella is her name... had such a hard time fr us in the beginning. We had a tough time on the financial arrangement/downgrading, etc. So much so, that she still remember us when we back there few months ago.

stressed,

heard abt kangaroo care? is it just carrying the baby chest to chest, dun think i can at the moment wif the tubes...

hows yr baby now?

Yvonne,

I understand the cycling efforts done...the baby will hate it when you put it back....

yes, majella spoke to me too and calls me up even until now

Hi Costa,

Yes. It's the one carrying the bb on your chest. Actually it's not true that u cannot do it whilst they are on tubes. U just have to be careful. Overseas Forums such as http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=371 says it's possible.

but then again, it really depends on hospital to hospital. I remember holding her on the second day already - tubes and all. It was an emotional drive.

Anyway, my girl is now a 5.4kg at 13 weeks. Still light compared to her peers. Plus her development skills are not on par with her actual age. But I'm not worried as long as she's happy and healthy.

I hate to be a BF advocate but I truely believed my BM help my girl alot.

Anyway I kangaroo her till today. She's my little kangaroo.
happy.gif

Yes, stressed is right abt cuddling baby as much. It's a booster for baby to feel & smell the familiar warmth.

I didn't kangaroo wrap baby cos was afraid the tubes & needles will be more in the way but just as effective to carry baby like normal.

yeah. Even stroking her hand is also therapeutic for both baby and parents.

Kangaroo care is effective because the baby will mimick the mother's breathing because preemie's tend to have apnea. And of course, like Yvonne says, warm from the body transfers to the child.

Ladies, my DD was born at 31wks at 1.83kg. she is now a happy n healthy sweet little 6YO lady.

it's alright everything is going to be just fine... Good Luck everyone!!!

hi,

me reporting..my gers Evangeline & Elyssa were born at 35 weeks on 21 Jun 06..lucky for me, their birth weight was normal and they do not have to extend their stay in the hospital..they are currently 2 mths and 3 weeks old..

here's a pic of them..

510123.jpg

Stressed,

R u a full time housewife to take care of your baby?

Preemies will be later than others their peers, do you compare with the "date she is supposed to born" or "the actual date she is born"

i guess we shld treat our babies as of the date that she is supposed to be born as they were premature?...correct me if i am wrong

gohong, congrats, 35wks is very good weight and term for twins...nothg to wrong about...

vq, are u a full time housewife? any problems encountered whilst looking after yr baby when she was discharged fm hospital...

Hi costa de sol,

My DD is nw 6YO. I m a SAHM now. But when my DD was born, i m still a FTWM as i hv my mom to take care of her for me.

i should say my DD was more well-behaved than other babies after she was discharged, after 20 days of staying. Guess the reasons? bcos the nurses in hosp cant carry my baby always n i realise they carry those who cry only n when feeding... so my DD cried only when she is wet n soil... n nurses in hosp wont wake my baby in the middle of the night for milk... this in term trained my DD for not waking up at night too... good for us then!! hehehe....

after i brought my DD home, my sis insisted to switch on the cd 24hrs on classical music softly.(jus for my DD!) heard that this is good for the brain development n nw my sis commented that my DD is smarter than her fren's DD?!?!

Hi Costa,

I'm a SAHM. We should treat our baby from the adjusted date (date she is supposed to born). But my dd will be too large and advanced in social skills if adjusted age is used.

And she's the exact opposite with compared with her actual date.

Anyway, I decided that all her vacc and hearing test starts on her adjusted age. Lucky her PD agrees with me.

When people ask me how old she is, I just anyhow hamtam any figure between her adjusted and actual age! If I don't I get lotsa questions which I'm too tired to answer. heh heh....

When I brought her back, we had difficulty burping her and as a result she has a bloated stomach. But as she matures, her gestation matures too. Now she burps sooo loudly!
happy.gif

Harlo, VQ and stressed,

Thanks for your prompt replies.....

Yr gal must be going to primary one next year already.....do you need special training to take care of the baby?m under pressure to quit my job as i dun noe if the maid and my mum can take care or not..wld appreciate any advice you have on taking care of yr baby...any specific problems you hv encountered, you can share them here...

stressed,

yup, i noe wat you mean when pple ask how old yr baby is...its a tiring question to answer....did you bring yr babies overseas for holidays since then?

re: specific premmie problems

it really depends on the baby. some premmies cope fast & well, though most will be a little slow (eg. feeding pace). basically, premmies are like "old" newborns.

i knew my son had slight reflux, so i made sure to burp him well after feeds. another is apnea which i bought a sound & movement monitor to monitor, only used for 1st month but no episodes since discharged. All development milestones are checked in follow-up checkups, eg. ROP, hearing, physio-therapy sessions, etc.

as for special training, KK will require parents & intended caregivers (grandparents, maid, etc) to attend basic CPR class before baby's discharge.

For me, Drs n nurses reminded DH n i, that our DD immerse system might be weaker than other babies... we r so careful that we only brought my baby out to public places when she's 8mths old... i remembered she's so happy that she keeps shouting n mumbling her baby languages... hehehe.. those were the days...

i urged those mommies with babies to cherish their baby days.. cos after that u wont find the same again.... i miss those days... i only hv 1 DD.

costa, mayb u can try talking to ur boss, check whether they allow u to b on unpaid leaves? if u r really worry abt ur baby then u should go ahead...bcos no point going to work with ur mind n heart at home!!! got it? financial matters must also take into account, then u hv to spend less on luxuries... if u quit, u hv to sack ur maid too... maybe give yourself 6mths break fm work to look after ur baby... jus my personal views... other suggestions?

Yvonne,
Where do u buy the sound and movement monitor from ?how does it work? was yr baby's apnea discovered during his early days in nicu?

guess the classes are really necessary....dun like the idea of hving maid,though....

wat type of physiotheraphy does yr baby have to go for in kkh?

vq,
i wld see how it goes, i also need the money to support my parents but you are also right to say that no pt wking when my heart is not there....sigh, a difficult decision to make...

is yr daughter's size in line wif the rest of the kids her age?

Hi Costa,

I brought my baby out in the sling 2 weeks after she was discharged which means she was 4 weeks old (actual age). We went grocery shopping and was home in an hour. Have not brought her overseas yet. I think that will still be a long long way for the family.

Oh yes. She has a little apnea as well. Sometimes the area around the mouth will turn bluish. That's when we know we have to pull out the nipple for her to breathe and rest.

costa,

yes, apnea was common in the early NICU days when baby has not mastered breathing on his own or coordinate breathing & sucking motions. i remembered during 1 cycling period, baby got so comfy without CPAP, he actually forgot to continue breathing!

it's called Angelcare Sound & Movement Monitor, available at Robinsons & Motherswork. comes with a movement sensor plate to be placed under baby's mattress, it will detect even baby's gentle breathing movement. in the event that baby goes into apnea (no movement at all), the monitor will sound a beeping alarm within 20 seconds.

check out the website for more info http://www.motherswork.com.sg/cgi-bin/WB_ItemPageGen.pl?gid=89&t=1158045528&Mentry=22cpP5Qz-sfKkxIlr6Ycm6crzMj9YafBQ3pTTZIa&pid=6072&Pgs=

the physiotherapy is a continuation from NICU/SCN days. when doctors think baby is almost ready to start bottlefeeding, a speech therapist will come to assess baby's readiness/ability then advise type of teat to be used.

after discharge, another physiotherapist is assigned to check baby's motor skills & finer movement development, etc. assessment is based on corrected age. the therapist then discuss & teach parents how to help baby improve weak areas, etc.

Yvonne,

Thanks, i will take a look and buy when i can.
i hope this thread will continue as i find everyone so helpful and the advice given so timely....

So far, has yr bb's development been right on track?

Stressed,

So how do you monitor yr baby incase she sleeps and has apnea?

Hi Costa, my DD is of the skinny side, she does eats alot but cant grow much flesh... PD told me for premature babies, after they turn 2YO... we should adjust to treat them like normal toddler n not premature...

VQ, thanks for yr information...

maybe bec you are slim, yr dd has yr genes...

i ever heard from the doctors that by 2 years old, cant distinguish preemies and normal as they shld hv adjusted quite well already as compared to when they are new born....

hi costa,

baby's development was slow in the early months, in fact, he failed his 1st therapy assessment at 3mths corrected.
then somehow, he started catching up & has been on track since 2nd assessment, even slightly ahead in some areas, like he started standing (with little support) taking his own full weight quite steadily at 7mths corrected.

i can see that baby's development is moving closer to his gestational age as he grows.
size wise, he is only nearing 25 percentile but has good weight-for-length ratio at 75 percentile.

afterall, most important is for him to be healthy and happy after all that he has been through.

yvonne,

thanks for your prompt reply...

i guess you are right, most impt is healthy
my baby got ROP Stage two abit of stage 3 on right eye...right now, they are not doing anything

hopefully he doesnt need to do laser
when he was born, he had grade 3 bleeding, hopefully every thing okay

right now, his pda is about 1.2mm and they not doing anything.......

onli waiting for his eye to stabilise before they "cycle" him...as he got rop...

most important is they are alive and that in itself brings hope already...

vq, u sure you plump?heh heh...

do you need to buy special bottles/teats etc for yr baby last time?

costa,

it seems like the doctors are not doing anything but do try to understand that they prefer not to intervene until it's necessary. also to premmies chance to develope more naturally, strengthening their own system.

i know it's very heartaching to see baby suffering... i've been frustrated many times.
even after 2 medication doses, baby's pda reopened bigger (ard 3mm), apnea episodes were daily happenings. only after 2-3 days, doctors ordered ligation op. then had to queue & pending surgeon's schedule, availability of op theatre... in the end, baby's op was still postponed due to other baby's emergency op.

how's baby infection? is he still being quarantined?

ROP is worse for younger premmies due to effects of high level of oxygen given to assist their breathing. it's really a balance that doctors had to strike. Hopefully, baby's ROP will stabilize soon.

if doctors order cycling for baby, then it means baby's organ development is almost complete.

Yvonne,

must say here again, so glad to know you n the other lovely ladies thru tis forum....know alot here which i never wld hv otherwise...

the doctors din chk my baby's pda anymore, hopefully its okay..was told that they wld chk again before discharge

my kid is still being quarantined altho' its a minor infection but its better as its quieter here as compared to the bigger nicu...

you are right abt the rop...its a vicious cycle, wat helps the baby will oso harm him..they tried to remove the cpap for awhile and he cld tolerate it..hopefully he gets better

do you notice that preemies' head wld be a longish shape due to them wearing the cap...the nurses oso told me.....

cycling can only be done later maybe after the next rop eye review next monday....

costa, it's gd there such a forum to share experiences. too bad, i didn't find it then & was desperately looking for answers myself. so i know wat u're going thru & just want to share with any mummies who are keen to know more.

yes, i noticed the cone-ish heads but there're exceptions... my boy's head isn't long or cone-ish, even doctors/nurses couldn't explain it. is it really due to the cap/head-band? thot it's bcos the skull is very soft & sleeping on "hard" surface, thus flatten effect.

oh, do check frequently that baby's ears are folded properly under the cap/band. my boy's left ear now has a permanent extra fold on the top. i didn't dare adjust anything on him initially & only noticed after some time in NICU that baby's ears were not pushed back properly & had folded wrong side under the cap/band.

I did not buy special bottles for my DD. n her head is not longish too...

my DD has a special hat(like an elf!) n special little pillow, specially handmade by the nurses fm the hospital... the pillow is still with me...

Back