Premature babies support group

hi,

Just want to check if anyone is seeing Dr Natalie Epton from KK? Any comments ? I feel like changing to another PD but not sure who is good for premees...

would appreciated any feedback

Hi Gingal,

Thanks for the tips you've given. I was thinking, 'manual rock' and nursing at the same time, probably I'll fall asleep as well, can try!!!

BTW Jerlynn was born at how many weeks and how old is she now (corrected age)?

Swan,

Are u under subsidised patient in kkh? From what I know, we cannot change doctor if we are subsidised patient. In case, u r not, as we are all with neonats, I guess Dr. Argawal is the famous and good one there.
Is your child borned premature?

Hi balina,

Yeah man, we all are guilty of dozing off while nursing or feeding our babies...keke

Jerlynn is borned @ 29 weeks and now is only CA 5.5mths.

hey mummies,

When did your baby start sitting up with or w/o support? Xavier is 4 months CA now, but even his neck control is not very goood...Btw, when normally can roll over?

Nate has reached 1.9kg!! And he is off the feeding tube since two days ago. So is now on full bottle-feed but still need pacing because nurse commented that he gets tire after a while. Finally can see him without any tube through his nose or mouth. He will be going for his hernia operation next Thurs. ROP still remains at stage 1 so is happy with that. Am now looking forward to have him come home soon!!! Nurses have been preparing me i.e. telling me to attend sessions, fixing appointments to meet with lactation consultant and dietician. Very soon!!

Jas,

Don't get Gan Jiong on the development... Xavier has regular appts at KKHs rehab centre right? Jerlynn was also slow for the start, and she picked up like everything together suddenly...

At CA 4.5mths, she still having difficulties lifting her head up high when on tummy, then suddenly now she can sit without support liao....

hi mummies,

very busy these few weeks so can't catch up here. But i see some premies doing very well and soon to be discharged to home sweet home! congrats and keep up the good work both premies and mummies!!

hi gingal, thanks for sharing in my joy. Am excited about Nate finally coming home soon.

I have been trying to bottle-feed Nate for two times. However, he keeps desating. But the thing is, when the nurses feed him, their comments have always been 'Nate is sucking really good. He feeds really well.' Is my feeding technique wrong? I keep looking at the monitor and once his O2 drops, I will pull out the bottle and his oxygen level will drop below 86. Am quite concerned that I may not be able to manage at home. The end is so near yet so far.... I just hope that with more hands-on, it will be better.

Hi Lilac,

I guess all of us gone through the same experience.

Do this tomorrow when you bottle feed Nate, DON'T LOOK AT THE MONITOR.

I pace Danya by giving her 5 suck and a break. I do this for a few days until she is ready for more.

Learn to look at the color of Nate's lips. When Nate desat during feed, lips will change from pinkish red to pale maroon. This is really very very obvious. Stop and let Nate catch up with his breath. If the area around the Nate's lips and nose turn pale/grayish, sit Nate up, tilt his head back slightly so that his air passage is clear to take in more air. Don't panic, let Nate catch up with his breathe. If you panic, Nate will also be Gan Jiong

Hope this help. Have Fun.

lilac,

Yeah we all also went through that... dunno why we relied alot on looking and hearing the monitor when we were feeding our babies in the hospital, try not to do so as u won't have a monitor at home wor, try familiarising with looking at baby instead...Geeez, it seemed every feed they will give us some problems, especially desating...J desat very often too when feeding at hospital, and once she almost turned all Blue and nvr breathe for a long minute, if u can find my very previous post, i ranted about a nurse who came to the rescue slow!!!! but everything is fine once back home, dunno why? but still gotta pace the slow...every few sucks and either slide the teat sideways to allow him to breathe at the corner of his mouth, or simply take out. Remember, they are doing very well already in being able to master sucking where they should have still been comfortably in our womb instead. Once they reached maybe about 3kg, they will be able to master breathing and sucking very well liao...

Another way is to observe how the nurses feed your baby, that's what I did initially, they are good at it, and if u noticed, when they feed baby, baby won't desat!
happy.gif

I think just relax, everything will be fine at Home, dunno why also, after bringing baby home, we never hear any of us having the problems we thought we might encounter!
happy.gif

Hi David,

How is Danya doing? Growing big and well now? Smiling and responding to ur teasing already?

Hi swan, can change padetrician one? If so, then change to dr argawal, finds her good, she is head of scn.

lilac, congrats, wow! nate has done well, and will be home soon! dun worry about the sucking of milk, practice makes perfect!

jaz, think 4 months corrected is still early leh, chinese sayings 7th month sit, 8th months crawl...
so dun worry, still very very early.

gingal, i wish violet can sleep soooo long. she is a light sleeper, she will sleep like half hour and wakes, occassionally then can sleep longer.

Night time she will also not sleep very deeply too.

Btw, she is very very cranky, keeps wanting to be carried, and needs all our attention, else will cry and cry and cry. very hard to care for baby. honestly, I still dun dare to look after her by myself, what a lousy mummy right!!

Grace, how r u, hope u are coping well now.

gingal, kkf and david, thanks for the advice. Today, I made another attempt to bottle-feed Nate but he desat AGAIN!! Sigh.... I almost burst out crying. In the end, I stopped the feed and told the nurse if she could continue and went out to compose myself. I felt like a failure.... can't even feed my baby. When the nurse fed him, Nate is perfectly alright. Maybe Nate can sense that I am kan cheong, so he bullies me =( I hope when I feed him this evening, he will be alright. The nurse was telling me that if I am not confident, I can verbalized it and they won't let Nate be discharged. But, but I want him to be discharged leh. So how? I really don't know what to do. I did try not to look at the monitor but somehow, when the 02 went too low, it started beeping loudly. How?

gingal, yes she is teething, her two lower teeths are appearing...sigh, yah, you are right, she may be cranky due to that...

lilac, got techniques to feed one, u try feeding 5 mouths, then take out, let nate breaths and so on? you observe how the nurse feeds and learns from her?

kkf, got observe nurse feed leh. When nurse feeds, she does not need to pace Nate at all. He just finish 42ml in one go. He knows how to stop and breathe on his own. But when I take over, he desat on me!! Sigh... Will try again later on.

Jas, Gingal..

When can i start my boys on solid??? Now, my eldest always drool and stick out his tongue when we eat ...and look at the food and look at us.. like very poor thing..

They are C.A 5 weeks... Mattias able to hold his head but not very long kind.. he can turn at times but only flip once one side thats all..Jeriel can hold his head also few mins... but have not seen him turn yet..

<font face="Comic Sans Ms">Baby Jed has been schedule to go thru an op on 01-Oct. I'm trying my best not to worry but have complete faith in God. It's just so tough, tears will just drop whenever I think of it.

<font color="0000ff">Lilac</font>

*hugz* Be more patient on yrself ya. Think u r too gan cheong.

What e TMC nurse did for us is to silent e monitor &amp; make us sit back facing it. In this way tere's no way we can see/hear e monitor, all on our own w their supervision.

I did exactly wat kkf/david suggested.. 5 suck &amp; I'll pull out.. didn't wait for Jed to show any sign. I gradually increase till now I don't even need to pull out unless he seems to choke.

<font color="aa00aa">Swan Lim</font>

My baby is with Natalie Ann Epton. She was highly recommended by Jed's doc in the cleft dept so we switch from TMC to KKH. We find her v straightforward, patient &amp; v pro-breastfeeding. The only thing my DH complains is e Q
happy.gif
but there's bcuz she spent @ least 20-30 mins w each of her patient.</font>

jenifur, thanks for the advice. Try bottle-feeding him today but he was a bit tired. But I latch him on for the first time today and he did NOT desat at all. Nurse says its better to latch on. I enjoy the time so much that I wish I could latch for all milk feeds. But am just glad that he looks contended after the feeds =) *hugz* to you. I totally understand how you feel about Jed having to go for surgery. Am praying with you that it will be a smooth one without any complications.

Xavier is finally off O2 supppport!! Hurrrayy....
he took 47 days, hopes there is no looking back..

Hi Gingal and Kkf,

Thanks!! I feel better now knowing that it is still early...hehe...Recently, I just bought a bumbo seat for him to train his sitting support,he loves it! i attach pic here

Going for physiotherapy tomorrow, hopefully the feedback is positive!

2905994.jpg

Lilac,

Dont worry too much...Actually Xavier always have desat, even after he is home noww..When he was in hospital, the doc taught us the 5 suck then rest method....didnt really work on him. He got very angry if we stopped for him to rest and would cry very hard, so desat even mroe.....hmmm...very hard to balance. So when we first came home, we tried to feed him when he is not that hungry, so he wont get angry if we stop for rest...

AFter he came home with the O2 support due to high fever episode, the desat persists if we take out the O2 support while feeding him, really stress us a lot.....But now, we take it easy liaooo...we off the monitor, jus feed him and observe...

Got to be confident, it will get better
happy.gif

Jenifur,

Like you said, have faith in our god. Baby Jed will be fine, I will pray for Baby Jed.

Sam,

CA 5 weeks, they are still very young !! Xavier is CA 4 mths and we still havent started solids yet...I think after his follow apt tmr and his doc said yes, we would go ahead and start...

Jas, wonderful news to hear that Xavier is off the O2 support!! Yay for you!! Must be really happy hor? Regarding the 5 suck method then rest, I agree with you leh, sometimes, it doesn't work. Some nurse says don't do that, look at the face. But then hor, I cannot tell leh... Ya lor, must be confident. Cos' when come home, no monitor liao.

Tomorrow is Nate's hernia operation. Am so nervous about it but will trust in God. Went down hospital today and latch him on again. He super happy about it and good thing is that he did not desat at all =)

Great news Lilac!! Keep up the good work, and u can always latch on when he gets home!!

I will pray for Nate's tomorrow operation, have faith in our God
happy.gif

Hello Mummies,

Jerlynn is allergy to Similac Formula that I recently changed to supplement with my EBM...

I still have 4 small unopened Similac 2 tins (400g) to sell away...Going for $12 a tin, self-collect at bedok (my place), buy all 4 tins for $45. Anyone interested, PM me ok? Expiry is Dec 2010.

lilac,

Slowly, be patient and have confidence, u can make it de..

kkf,

Yah I think Violet cranky cos teething..Jerlynn also teething symptoms for >2 mths liao, teeth hasnt appear..sianzzzz

Sam,

Too early la...
Jerlynn also interested in our food very early, when i sound out to dietitian when she was less than 3 mth old, we were like abit Siao loh...
they only allow us to go ahead when she was 4 mths old. Really need their heads to be able to hold up staedily then can feed solids la, and also the digestive system will only be ready for solids when 4 mths old...not forgetting allergies leh... safer to start at 6 mths actually...
ask the dietitian in ur next appt, they will advise better....

Jas,

Xavier doing very well leh, from the pic can see...
he has physio sessions right? the therapist shld be able to advise u on the various exercises to train him at home...
we did a couple, like put her on my lap facing us, put her on her tummy (which she hates!), sit her on the ground etc..it's fun for the babies and also will help them alot...

hi gingal, kkf, jenifur

oh cannot change pd har..ya mine is on subsided at kkh...

gingal ya my baby is prematured at 30 weeks...

i only seen dr natalie once..yes she is super pro-breastfeeding however i find that she spent the bulk of the time talking about her own kids instead of mine..hhaha

my girlfriend pd is at tmc so she told me that her pd would tell her abt the baby upcoming development for example baby ache, feeding schedule things to look out etc
but i dun get that kind of info from dr natalie
(unless i ask) so thot perhaps to change one that is more "pro-active" cos i am a new mum n i dun really know wat to expect until it happens...

Hi Swan,

Yah cannot change Neonat if u are subsidised patient. Unless u have some issues with him/her bah, then maybe lodge in complaint and they will allow?

Cannot compare Private PD with KKH Neonats la, not fair to do so I feel. KKH Neonats all schedule very tight...U can ask any qns u like during the session loh...maybe note down ur concerns ad I'm sure she will answer u....

Jas, thanks for praying. Nate went thru his hernia operation today. It went well. Thank God for that. I have not had the chance to bottle-feed him yet.

By the way, need to ask a question regarding cooler box. I just bought a rubbermaid cooler box to bring my packets of EBM from KK back home. Do I need to put any ice-packs inside the cooler box or can I just dump all the packets of EBM into the cooler box w/o any ice or icepacks? Kindly advise.

Jas,...

wow... congrats!! a big milestone leh... you must be thrilled!!!!! I'll be waiting for the day...

Gingal,

Ya lor.. i know too early.. but he always look so hungry..haha..

Lilac,

Great to hear that Nate's op went well, thank god!!!!
FOr the rubbermaid icebox, they should have an instilled ice pack inside which u can screw near the top of the box, u dun have? If have that one, should be okay, if not better put ice pack. I live half an hour from NUH, so i put 2 iace packs, very kiasu...hehehe...

Gingal,
Yup, we went for physio sessions, learnt a lot of new exercises! Xavier hates to lie on his tummmy toooo, he will scream after a while,hehe..but no choice lah, got to train him..
Btw, last time i left u my email address in PM, u got it? Need ur contact of the mummy who sells nice toys and clothes..Pls help!

I am starting Xavier on brown rice cereals soon, ask u huh, do u use microwave to heat it up with BM? THe brown rice cereals I bought, on the box instructions say that heat it up with microwave with medium power for 15-30 secs...But i thought BM shouldnt be heat up by microwave leh, how u do?

Sam,

Yes, very happppy, no restriction is so great!Dont worry, the day will come soon before you know it...Btw, what's ur baby's name? i remember Mattias, Jeriel, ......third one is?

hi gingal,

i dun mind paying full price for a good pb however he/she needs to be from kkh since i am doing my son injection there.

so if anyone got a good recommendation, pls let me know.

lilac - u need to put ice pack. it is recommended that breastmilk is not kept "outside" in more than 4 hrs hence better to be more ks. u can buy those chillers from daiso for $2 each..nice n cheap

Jas, got instilled ice pack meh? How come mine does not come with it? I kenna cheated liao. Jialat, now got to go buy more ice packs liao.

Thanks Swan for letting me know that Daiso sells it for $2. Going to get it tomorrow.

Why I so kan cheong? Because today nurse told me to prepare for Nate's DISCHARGE!!!! Yay!!!! I super happy and just in time cos' daddy coming back on Sunday so I don't have to be stressed over whether to bring baby to parents' home or back to my home.

Lilac,

Is urs the very big type? Mine very big, so got instilled ice pack...

COngrats on the homecoming!! Waiting to see Nate's pics ya!! hehehe..

Hi Jas,

Its Mattias, Josiah n Jeriel.

Today met up with Shi Jie from Somnotec to collect the concentrator. Actually Josiah only requires 0.125l of oxygen and can hit 100% at times but the nurse tune to 0.5l cause they say cannot immediately tune down so fast as he requires 2l in hospital. Am praying hard that this process will not take long for him to wean off...

Hi Mummies;

So sorry to get back to u late in regards to the toys and clothes that my frens are selling.

The one selling clothes is not selling anymore, she is annoyed by her supplier attitude when she enquire for my behalf..The supplier has increased price and also was like not willing to accept low Qty orders anymore, quoting herself as busy...

Jas:
The mummy who is selling toys is in my Facebook contact..U can add her as friend. Her name is "Hazel Oh", just let her know that I gave u the contact bah, in case she dunno who and nvr add u...She temporarily stopped taking orders too, guess cos she wans to brainstorm and try out some new designs... u can check wit her direct...

lilac,
congrats! i always rem the day my boy camehome.. we were such unprepared parents and we welcomed him home with so much excitement and also anxiety.. but it was all worth it. can remember those days when my boy was so small i can put him on my kitchen scales every day!!

new mummies tend to be very protective, i think. i can speak for myself and some others i know. But at the end of the day, learn to appreciate help with a open heart as you will need time to rest and spend with your hubby and yourself. Just make sure you tell the caregivers what to do to avoid conflicts if going to stay with them long term.
happy.gif

xbliss, thanks for sharing in my joy =) Nathaniel was discharged on Monday and he has been home with us for 3 days already!! We are so thankful to have him around and thus far, he has been good =)

gingal, jas and david, like what you all said, coming home, the feeding has been good. nate did not desat. He look ok lor... we were so relieved. And he latch on really well! Am trying to alternate between bottle-feeding and latching on so that at least I know he is getting enough. If he does well and put on necessary weight gain at the next check, then will latch on all the way and say bye-bye to pumping!!!

Btw, check with experienced mummies here. Over at KK, nurses feed him on a 3 hourly feed at 45 ml. But then hor, I realized that he gets hungry after 2 hours leh... so should I feed him a little also? I scare I overfeed him wor...

Dear all,

Finally my 3 are all back with us already.. A long 4 months plus for all to be reunited.. Now its a start of another step of challenge.. I will presevere till the end...

Jas,

Josiah can take 0.125l, but doctor suggest 0.25l first.

Wow, good news, congrats to Sam and Lilac !!!

Lilac,

So glad to know that Nate latch on well! Recently i tried to latch on Xavier after his O2 support is off, and he suck pretty well toooo, i am so happy! But too bad i started work this month, so can only give midnight feed and early morning feed. I feel blessed though, finally can have the bonding time~~~

If he hungry after 2 hours, is it because he gets tired after latch on thats why he didnt drink much? Anyway, you should just give him as much as he wants. Baby at his age will know how to control appetite, they wont get overfed, dun worry at alll...jiayou!!

Sam,

I am sure Josiah's requirement will come down very soon and then he will wean off completely!
Having all 3 of them together, u must be really thrillled!! happppppy
happy.gif

hello lilac, hope all went well with nate surgery.

sam congrats, wow really challenging, but very rewarding!
happy.gif

jas, ur boy looks so cute haha.

Back