IVF Mummies-To-Be Support Group

Grumpus n panda ur baby bel is the cheddar one, purple packaging? I saw the red packaging at isetan supermarket it says full cream semi soft cheese. I compare this with the purple one, the purple has coloring.

Semi soft cheese ok for bb right?? I bot the red one

Gan,
yup i got the purple one which is cheddar. i was not so sure on the semi soft cheese so didn't get the red one.

gan, i bought all 3 colors! purple red n yellow..haha.. only tried the purple one n find it more saltish.

today i bought a pack of kiri cheese..heard from a fren its suitable for bbs...going to try it tmr see if also salty.

grumpus, laughing cow doesnt give the sodium content, so cant really compare.

my PD told me if we adults eat n taste salty means too salty for bbs leh...

Panda,
i agree. if we adults feel it's salty then it's very salty to bb. anyway i slice it up very thinly and give my gal just a few slices, and not everyday even.
for my elder girl i didn't give her cheese cubes until she was 1+ and only recently then let her hv those kraft singles type of cheese.

Grumpus, my bbs lOve the baby bel cheese. Aiyoh. I only cut small little pieces for them to snack. My gal kept grabbing the container for more..faints...

Gan, same here! Now my chiller so filled w yogurts n cheese. Never ate so much of such fOods myself too.

Panda,
It's good to start bb on cheese young. My elder until now loves her cheese. She can snack on them all day.
But downside is too much cheese = constipation

Seems like all cheese is salty.. Hmm.. Then how...
Maybe those blocked hard cheese is less salty.. Those softer types are mostly more processed cheese so more salty...
But the harder type of cheese seems hard to handle.. Seems difficult for bb to chew...

Singapoh say the cheez dipper not salty.. Maybe shall get that to try...

Gan
U mentioned before u bot the Dirin cheese is it? Is it salty?
Just now went ntuc.. Saw the cheez dipper.. Babybel... dirin creamy cheese... So confused... Dont knw which to buy.. In e end didnt buy... Cant find cottage cheese also...

Baby,

U can buy and taste the cheez dipper yourself first before giving to yr baby.

I didn't give cheese when they were babies. Now they are close to 16 months old.

Panda
Update us on the kiri cheese ya...
happy.gif

So far we hvt really found one that is suitable for bbs yet.. I have aldry hold on to giving cheese... Only giving yogurt for dairy...

Btw mummies
How do we handle chicken? Give minced chicken? Cold storage can buy pieces of chicken and ask them to minced?
Do cs have this service? Cos usually the packed minced chicken are thawed types... Cannot refreeze liao...

hi mummies
need some advice on avocados. i just can't seem to get it right. those that i bought, sometimes the skin is still green but the inside is brownish and got those thread-like stuff, so this means over-ripe ya? just cut one, the skin is dark brown but the inside is very green and rubbery, that means not ripe ya?
any idea avocados from which country is better. how come all those i buy some how just don't seem correct and tasteless...sighhhh
sometimes i buy those where is skin is quite green, hoping to keep a while longer so can have variety of fruits. any idea how long i shd keep those green ones for before eating?
tks

Panda
Why don't u give the cheese together with bread, not so tasty. Afraid your bb get use to eating tasty food, they won't want bland food anymore.
U seem to buy in bulk, if we run out we know who to turn to...haha.

Gan
FYI, cottage cheese is low fat cheese and it is soft. Unless your bb has a weight problem, otherwise better to go full cream. They need the complete nutrition for growing up. Low fat is good when they are abit older.

Semi soft cheese can be made from goat's milk, sometimes not written, cheddar is from cow.

Ru
If your bb take solid well, 7mth is already old enough to consume meat. I started my bb on meat at 5+ mths.

baby
Can give mince chicken, I use occasionally but most of the time, I use the breast or thigh. I also freeze the mince chicken once and then thaw once only, I don't refreeze after I thaw.

happyhippo
Avocado should be eaten when they are greenish brown. When u feel abit soft can eat already. Too green is not ripe, dark brown is overly ripe. U are right, avocado is tasteless.

Bubbly bear thanks! Maybe the red baby bel is from goat mill Coz got abit funny taste!

Happy I usually buy avocado from those shops that sell fruit drinks Coz dunno how to choose but more ex!! $3 per pc

bubbybear: Thank you for your info. I just worry whether should I stop my girl's IFC to give her normal porridge (normal one is for those toddler). If request no meat then they will specially make some porridge which is add in only veg.

bubbybear
thks. erhh but the one i just cut, the skin was very dark brown almost black,but the meat turned out to be rubbery. so think not ripe.

gan
wow $3 is like 2x the price leh. but at least u r sure u don't waste $1.80 or so when i buy from ntuc but turn out got to throw
sad.gif

bubblybear, it so hard for me to go out n shop for stuff. so if i m out i usually buy in bulk to keep.

yeah..think i shld gv w bread too.. smtimes i add to mashed potatoes.. also v yummy...

baby, my eldest boy start to wanna eat porridge. i change the timing .. no more dinner..think he is tired n grouchy. i feed after his afternoon nap. regardless of the time. he is happy to eat!

tmr going to try cooking drumstick for him to try.... :p

havent had chance to try the kiri cheese today. will do so over the wkend n update u gals.

grumpus, does home made fish fingers crumbles easily?? i m keen to try make some as finger foods too..... need smthing they can hold n will not mashed up easily n yet they can chew n swallow....

Panda,
if u use cod fish to make the fish fingers, they dun crumble tat easily. but then my girl was quite good at holding and picking up food so i dun know if it's ok for yr bbs.

i intro eggs to my elder girl at abt 8+ to 9 mths. just hard boiled egg yolk. my younger so far haven't tried.
yes many recipes use eggs. y dun u just try egg yolk first, they are high in nutrition and not as high allergy. u can substitute 2 egg yolks for one egg and it will work for most recipes.

sometimes i coat the fish in egg yolk before breadcrumbs so the batter sticks better. but without egg is fine too. i've done it successfully both ways

gan, mine PD also says can start eggs. but dunno how to just gv yolk. maybe like what grumpus suggest..will use it in the fish fingers.

planning to start berries too.. gv mine raspberry n blueberry rice cakes today.... they all love it!

grumpus, my boy if the food crumbles will throw on the floor ..haha.. naughty one.. he likes to eat foods tht he can grab w one hand n eat..

Pandawife ur bbs are good in self feeding. Mine can't as weekdays m parents feed her, I only let her self feed the corn snacks during weekends.

My mm spotted little white on my gal's lower gum today, think her teeth are cutting soon!! No more toothless grin

happyhippo,

i only bot those dark brown type, touch d skin to feel, not too hard not too soft. avocado is rather tasteless, butter taste. i like to eat it with golden kiwi.

if u wanna keep longer, buy those that r not too soft. d fresh shld b soft n butter feel, i nvr seen rubbery type?

i bot avocados fr ntuc finest. usually can keep like 3-5 days in fridge. my bb likes, but i usually buy once or twice a month ba.

Panda,
u can hard boil egg and just give the yolk. just mash up or break off pcs and feed to them.
can also mix with potato cubes or mash and some butter to make a mini potato and egg salad.
can also make french toast with just egg yolk.

happyhippo,
u can try the hass avocado from ntuc finest or CS.
choose an even bright green hard one. the avocado is unripe. leave it on yr counter top over the next few days, the colour will slowly turn brownish green and when u press the top part of the avocado where the stem is, it is slightly soft. that's when the avocado is just ripe.

gan, my gal still toothless and chewing foods happily...dunno when can see tooth...

i let them self feed coz i cant feed all 3 together... so let them play w foods while i try to feed one by one... praying tht this wld giv them better self feeding skills.

i m going to pop by the toy fair again.. will drop by taka CS. i saw yobaby drinkable yogurt at mktplace paragon. but so expensive! 4 bottles pack cost $18! like drinking gold siah...

grumpus, i tried french toast before..but turn out so ugly tht my boy looked at it in disgust and refused to touch it! hahaha.. but i din use egg...just milk n banana. mayb can try again w eggs..

Panda,
the egg and breadcrumbs batter can also be used for chicken strips. i like to use chicken fillet. it's part of the breast but is not the top part which is quite coarse and dry. it's the strip under the breast.
if u buy chicken from supermarket, look for chicken fillet.

rose, grumpus
thks for advice on avocados. will give it a try again. i notice both of u said ntuc finest.. how abt the normal ntuc? i guess they also carry the same as ntuc finest? i find cs fruits are usually most exp than ntuc.

gan
thks for the link. so baby hands can't splash/paddle in water, only leg can paddle ya.

Happyhippo,
The normal ntuc stores sell avocados as well. There's offer this weekend for Australian avocados. $3.45 for 4 which is very cheap. I just bought 8 today and fed my babies. Ntuc always have offer for avocados on weekends every 2-3weeks. Check out straits times. I find that the Australian avocados at ntuc are cheap and good. I bought avocados from shop and save before but the whole batch was not fresh. So I always buy from ntuc now.

Pandawife,
I remember that you mentioned your PD asked you not to feed the babies brown rice? What's the reason? When can they start taking then? The books I read say that brown rice is good for babies.

Mummies,
Any good PD to recommend? Preferably at Bishan/ Novena/ Thomson/ Orchard area. I've yet to find a good PD.

Pandawife,
9 mths can start then I can add brown rice to their porridge. I've been adding millet, quinoa and lentils to their porridge but holding back on brown rice.
Do you mind sharing the contacts for your PD? He seems very detailed and caring, providing you with alot of useful info.

bing, my PD is dr ang poon liat at TMC. he is in his 60s very fatherly sort n v pro natural. if u ask qns, he will share alot of information in detail. he conducts weaning talks regularly. i attended one n learnt alot there.

the down side to seeing him is he only see patients on half days basis in the mornings. if u need PD in the afternoon, its a lady PD in the same clinic. This lady is also good, but consultations w her tends to be in a rushed coz she has many patients...

u can add brown rice to porridge first n gradually giv all brown rice. i just went to buy brown rice today. never knew brown rice comes in different sizes! i bought the short grain coz it says soft after cooking n suitable for making soft sticky foods. can make brown rice balls for the bbs to chew!

bing
thks. will get some from ntuc. how often do u feed ur baby? do u feed one whole avocado at 1 go? you got add anythg to it? i add abit of banana after hearing what some of the mummies do.

ya now I sahm, i always check the ST on thursday for ntuc & shop&save ads... see whats on offer....so aunty hor..hahahh.

Bing,
My girls see Dr Veronica Toh at Raffles Hospital. She's very nice n patiently answers all my qns. We've been seeing her since my elder was born. Downside is her queues r long.

If my girls r sick n I need just a quick trip for meds, i see Dr Chan Kit Yee from SBCC at Mt Alvernia. She's a bit more chop chop but will still ans yr qns patiently. But she's super efficient so u hardly hv to wait which is good when u hv sick kids. My friend's girl had a small hole in her heart sine birth which was not detected at all until she was 2! Dr Chan saw her for the first time, listened to her heart n immediately told my friend she had a murmur. They did the scans/tests etc n confirmed it.

Panda,
I usually keep raw food in the chiller not more than 24hrs. So I would freeze the drumstick tat is to be used for Sunday.

gan, i hv not tried that. but plan to giv it as finger foods.. dont wannt do so much purees already... hard to feed. but still need to coz hv to giv cereals, i bulk purchase many boxes of cereals.....

i read the red one is a good choice to start.

grumpus, thanks!! i kept 2 in the freezer. lucas played w one today..hehe..

Panda I have been throwing away cereals not finished coz 1 box after opening 4 weeks still not finished.=s

U bulk purchase from agape? Ur boy likes the drumstick?

Red one more nutritious than green n better taste

Gan, i buy from agape. he likes the drum more than my gal. my gal just hold n play..din attempt to eat. lucas bite off 2 small pieces of meat n started chewing n chewing.. hehe...

i bake in oven... just sprinkle some rosemary and black pepper on it... learnt from another mummy on fb....

these cereal 1 mth expiry v challenging to finish for beginners..

by the way, i tried the kiri cheese today. its slightly similar to laughing cow. creamy, but lighter in taste. mayb slightly less salty. but its also processed cheese i suppose.

for those who are looking for light n v creamy texture, this wld b a good choice.

Back