IVF/ICSI Support Group

Btw, just curious. After ER, who will decide which day embryo to transfer? Is it e embryologists call? Then he or she will decide if can do blasts too or will they check w us on our preference? Is there certain criteria to meet like how many eggs being retrieved to even consider if wanna try blastocyst? Do one get to speak with e embryologists?? TIA

1. As the ladies mentioned, if enter ivf program before 40, max 10 fresh cycles. Does not include frozen. And the 10 includes any fresh done outside of SG.

2. TFC closed for 2 weeks in Decl
Thanks. I just back from tfc. E nurse says Its not close. Just that dr loh is on leave during christmas.
I havent choose doc yet. Now need to decide to bia nov do -will have to be thomson cos my freezing at kk n see doc not in time for nov or wait till jan do in kkh

Check with dr loh he says do nov or jan no difference although i have a hysteroscopy surgery done in oct. Glad to hear tt the lining is good. Kkh didnt do a scan at e review. Initially tot to hurry do ivf 2 menses cycle after op cos dun waste e new lining that is forming :)

Last edited:
Btw, just curious. After ER, who will decide which day embryo to transfer? Is it e embryologists call? Then he or she will decide if can do blasts too or will they check w us on our preference? Is there certain criteria to meet like how many eggs being retrieved to even consider if wanna try blastocyst? Do one get to speak with e embryologists?? TIA
Hi dramaqueniie, I am with nuh and just for a sharing, every day after er, embryologist called me and update me how is my embryo doing and how many fertilized and how many good and how many satisfactory and I think they will decide whether they can culture our embryo until blast based on their expertised experience. I am not sure how is the procedure with other hospital though

Hi sisters, what's e waiting time to do fresh at kkivfc? Once referred to ivf, gotta wait 2 weeks for them to call ya? Then what about briefing? How long after briefing then can start actual procedure? I was reading some backlog posts n saw a sister mentioned that her fresh can only start in Feb n now is only Nov!? Omg, i was still thinking I can finally do our first fresh in January. Next appt in early Dec n prob on this day then doc officially refer to kkivfc.
Bcos KKIVF will close for 2 weeks in dec and with cny in feb, looks like a lot of ppl trying to squeeze in between

Dr decide but you will b on standby JIC. Dr will discuss with u before ur cycle begin. Blast usually hv some "criteria". Embryologist will speak to u after ER n report.

Anyone done their ER and ET at Mt E? Can share your experience please. We have a choice to either do it at TFC at Novena medical or at Mt E.

I was told by thomson fertility centre they do injection at night. Wonder is there any difference in am n nite jabbing?

Also any difference in egg quality between long n short protocol? Wonder base on wat crateria will e doc choose between long n short protocol for us. Any ladies try both protocols before?is there any difference?

Hi dramaqueniie, I am with nuh and just for a sharing, every day after er, embryologist called me and update me how is my embryo doing and how many fertilized and how many good and how many satisfactory and I think they will decide whether they can culture our embryo until blast based on their expertised experience. I am not sure how is the procedure with other hospital though

Wow, nuh is gd! From what I read, kkivfc only tell u status of embryo on e date of transfer itself. Does it also apply to transfer that hv to be aborted? I mean it's gonna be super depressing if u make ur way there only to be told sorry, am afraid there won't be any transfer tdy.

Hi ladies,

I'm new in this forum and it's my first ivf cycle at kkivf, today is the day 7 of stimulation jabs(300iu). i having bad cramp and egg white discharge since Wed. Does anyone had the same symptom as mine. Pls advise.

Hi sisters, what's e waiting time to do fresh at kkivfc? Once referred to ivf, gotta wait 2 weeks for them to call ya? Then what about briefing? How long after briefing then can start actual procedure? I was reading some backlog posts n saw a sister mentioned that her fresh can only start in Feb n now is only Nov!? Omg, i was still thinking I can finally do our first fresh in January. Next appt in early Dec n prob on this day then doc officially refer to kkivfc.

Hi @dramaqueenie, nice to see you here again! Once you confirm with your doctor the month that you will do your fresh, you wait for your AF to come that month. On the first day of full flow, you call the KKIVF number given to you, then they will immediately advise you when to go for your first scan. For the briefing, you call KKIVF, tell them the month you're doing your fresh, and they will arrange the briefing for you before then. Bo pian, it's a govt hospital so we have to take more effort on our end to call up to fix appointments.

Wow, nuh is gd! From what I read, kkivfc only tell u status of embryo on e date of transfer itself. Does it also apply to transfer that hv to be aborted? I mean it's gonna be super depressing if u make ur way there only to be told sorry, am afraid there won't be any transfer tdy.

Oh no, my transfer was aborted due to zero fertilization and Dr Sadhana was kind enough to call me to tell me so I don't have to make a wasted trip down. They're so busy that if they can avoid seeing you in person if it's not necessary, they will, lol!

The decision is probably jointly made by the embryologist and your doctor, giving consideration to the number and grade of embryos as well as your physical condition. I don't think there is a strict criteria to follow as it is on a patient-by-patient basis. For fresh, some docs even suggest to some patients to postpone the transfer to another month to do FET instead, to increase the chances of success. It's really a test of patience.

On Day 3, even if they decide to wait until Day 5 blastocyst to transfer, you have to go to see them first on Day 3 to confirm the ET date, before going over again for the actual ET on Day 5. I don't know if the patient gets to "defy" their recommendations and insist on a certain day transfer, as I myself decided to be guai guai and do exactly what they said, in my case I did the ET on Day 3 embryos so I did not have to go there a second time for ET. I spoke with the embryologist (think her name is Cheryl or Cherryl) minutes before the transfer and she was a very calm and reassuring person, so I felt I was in good hands and was relaxed, despite my bladder close to bursting during the transfer!

Hi ladies,

I'm new in this forum and it's my first ivf cycle at kkivf, today is the day 7 of stimulation jabs(300iu). i having bad cramp and egg white discharge since Wed. Does anyone had the same symptom as mine. Pls advise.

Very painful stomach cramps for me during my second fresh cycle. Probably a case of mild OHSS; do you have PCOS? Despite that, I BFP-ed on that cycle, so you don't need to worry too much. Trust the doctor. Jiayou!

IVF process is a very trying and emotional period for those who are going thru it.. this forum really helps me to loosen up a bit with all the support :)

Well said, @babybabydust. I wish I had found this forum before I started my own journey; would have helped me a lot when my first fresh cycle failed. Really admire the courage and perseverance of all the ladies here. :)

Hi @dramaqueenie, nice to see you here again! Once you confirm with your doctor the month that you will do your fresh, you wait for your AF to come that month. On the first day of full flow, you call the KKIVF number given to you, then they will immediately advise you when to go for your first scan. For the briefing, you call KKIVF, tell them the month you're doing your fresh, and they will arrange the briefing for you before then. Bo pian, it's a govt hospital so we have to take more effort on our end to call up to fix appointments.
Ya kkivf has protocol to follow n appt pre ivf seems to be strictly 5 weeks though pay private ,private is just pass a stack of paper n go home sign and slowly read. Appt anytime. I think both has its pros n cons

I was told by thomson fertility centre they do injection at night. Wonder is there any difference in am n nite jabbing?

Also any difference in egg quality between long n short protocol? Wonder base on wat crateria will e doc choose between long n short protocol for us. Any ladies try both protocols before?is there any difference?
From what I experience, it does make difference. I was in long protocol twice when i did it in sgh and both failed. When i tried for the third time and change to private, my gynae was quite surprise why I was on long protocol. According to him, pcos should use short protocol. I changed to short protocol and result in more in quantity and better quality eggs. I also bfp this round.
My fren who did it in malaysia, her gynae also tell her the same. for pcos, normally the recommended one will be short protocol and she also succeed in her attempt.

Ellesie, thanks for sharing. E dr loh told me based on kkh statistics, long protocol has a 10% higher success rate compared to short protocol. Dunno how true.

Last edited:
From what I know, need to be based on the patient condition, which protocol more suitable. The same with the stimulation drug. I react well to puregon but not gonalf. I ever on gonalf for very high dosages n the egg din even grow n have to abort the cycle. This time I request for puregon n it works for me .

Hi Connie, I have done my short protocol with TFC. Yes, the jabs were done at night. I prefer night injections. Because I can take a hot shower then relax on bed,let my hubby do the jab at 9:45pm. By 10pm, I am ready to sleep. No need morning rush. The last day trigger shot, also at night 10pm @ TMC 24hr. Then following morning 8am can do the ER. Swee swee...

Ellesie, thanks for sharing. E dr loh told me based on kkh statistics, long protocol has a 10% higher success rate compared to short protocol. Dunno how true.

Dr Loh is very experienced doc, he will decide whether long or short protocol suitable for u.

He said me was more suitable for short protocol due to my age. I was on high dosage of puregon, everything was fine and smooth. I trust him, whatever he said I just follow, no only on medication, but also like don't eat banana/watermelon etc during 2ww. I followed exactly all his instruction.

Now I pregnant with my baby girl. I am happy with TFC's staff and nurses too.

Can sisters with NUH share what kind of monitoring they provide during the 2ww?

I'm impressed to hear that NUH embryologist will update the development of the eggs daily after ER. I hope that KKH can do this too.

Dr Loh is very experienced doc, he will decide whether long or short protocol suitable for u.

He said me was more suitable for short protocol due to my age. I was on high dosage of puregon, everything was fine and smooth. I trust him, whatever he said I just follow, no only on medication, but also like don't eat banana/watermelon etc during 2ww. I followed exactly all his instruction.

MTB, do you mind sharing what other instructions Dr Loh gave?

I didn't know bananas are not good. .. Thanks!

hi MTB-2015, congrats! how old are u? U did a d2 transfer?(as in mon is er,wed is et?) Do u mind me asking if yr hubby has any soldiers issues ?
Now e hestitation pt for us to go to tmc is due to cost issue n chance not high. As we have already burnt a hole in e pocket with a first try at private centre.
Hiw much did u spend from start of cycle till bfp?

Last edited:
MTB, do you mind sharing what other instructions Dr Loh gave?

I didn't know bananas are not good. .. Thanks!

When i started injections, I read forum ppl were all eat egg whites, so I also ate, two days later Doc loh scanned my eggs and found out that my eggs were not responds to jabs very well. He told me don't eat egg whites before ER, it may decrease the effectiveness of the medicine.

After ER, I can take more egg whites (everyday I took 6-8 egg whites). I am a vegetarian, so I took egg whites till bfp so that I have enough protein.

I had plenty of sleep (10pm-7am) and everyday I walk my dogs for 15-30mins, so that my blood circulation better and more oxygen in my blood. Dr. Loh said I must do some exercise like walking everyday. Don't eat watermelon, banana, papaya, aloe Vera, and vegetable like Bitter gourd. No more cold drinks till bfp.

Anyway, u ask doctor better lah, coz everyone's body different mah.

Good luck!

hi MTB-2015, congrats! how old are u? U did a d2 transfer?(as in mon is er,wed is et?) Do u mind me asking if yr hubby has any soldiers issues ?
Now e hestitation pt for us to go to tmc is due to cost issue n chance not high. As we have already burnt a hole in e pocket with a first try at private centre.

Hi Connie, I am 40.

Yes, mine is D2 transfer, doctor Loh said the safest place for my embryos is my uterus. My ER was on Thursday morning 8am and ET was on Sat morning. Transferred 2 embryos (grade 3). My hubby's SA result was bad, only 1% normal morphology. I also have some small fibroids.

From first consultation till BFP, my total bill was $16,789. Medi save claimed $6000. I used $10k+ cash.

After ET, TFC will submit medisave claim form for u, after 2 weeks u will receive a cheque of $6000 from TFC. Which means u need to prepare a lumsum cash first, then take bk the $6k on later dated. (Privates no gov funding. )

If your body responds to stimulating injections very well, it will be much cheaper, around $12K. My case, my eggs were growing very slow (maybe because of I ate too many egg whites during first 2 days jabbing) therefore I have to on very high dosage and extend two more days injections cost me another $2K.

Mine was IVF ICSI, so it will be more expensive than normal IVF. If I am not wrong, ICSI is $900 more expensive than normal IVF.

Hi Connie, I attached a billing information for your reference.
ImageUploadedByForum1416024360.272257.jpg

MTB,
Thanks you very much for sharing the info. At KK, we don't get to speak to our consultant much after the protocol starts. Only on the ops bed ER and ET, no proper consultation.

Appreciate it!

Hello everyone,

I just want to report back regarding the transferring of embryos. I finally signed the paperwork with nuh and it was a very quick and smooth process.

Below are the steps for those who may be keen to know:

1) both husband and wife do the necessary blood test (standard test such as HIV, thalassemia) at your preferred gynae/hospital (in my case TFC) and once all ok, hospital/gynae will issue a letter which states that they want to accept the embryos. You will also get other forms to sign which can be submitted later before embryo transfer.

2) call up hospital (in my case NUH) which store your embryos and make appointment for paper work transfer

3) at appointment day, both husband and wife to bring and present the letter from your preferred gynae/hospital. Then nuh will ask you to sign indemnity and release of embryos consent form. Gynae and nurse from nuh countersigned. Then you will get a copy of the release form.

4) scan a copy of release form to your preferred hospital and call them to ask the embryologist to arrange the embryo transfer between hospitals. Will need to call 3-4 days beforehand to make appointment for transfer.
( I have not yet completed this stage)

That's all I have for now. Hopefully my transfer is smooth smooth and embryos all nicely intact. I must compliment the nurses at nuh for their fantastic services. They were very helpful and smiley throughout the paperworks (even though I'm bidding goodbye to them). one of the nurses gave me a "I'm sad you are leaving" look but told me that I'm in good hands with my new gynae. So assuring and very grateful for her words. I think I will miss them. Hopefully the nurses at tfc are not too bad! :p

Hi Connie, I am 40.

Yes, mine is D2 transfer, doctor Loh said the safest place for my embryos is my uterus. My ER was on Thursday morning 8am and ET was on Sat morning. Transferred 2 embryos (grade 3). My hubby's SA result was bad, only 1% normal morphology. I also have some small fibroids.

From first consultation till BFP, my total bill was $16,789. Medi save claimed $6000. I used $10k+ cash.

After ET, TFC will submit medisave claim form for u, after 2 weeks u will receive a cheque of $6000 from TFC. Which means u need to prepare a lumsum cash first, then take bk the $6k on later dated. (Privates no gov funding. )

If your body responds to stimulating injections very well, it will be much cheaper, around $12K. My case, my eggs were growing very slow (maybe because of I ate too many egg whites during first 2 days jabbing) therefore I have to on very high dosage and extend two more days injections cost me another $2K.

Mine was IVF ICSI, so it will be more expensive than normal IVF. If I am not wrong, ICSI is $900 more expensive than normal IVF.
Hi mtb,thanks for yr info. I will discuss with hubby to go tmc nov or kkh jan for 2nd try. Wish u all e best!

hi mtb, ,may i knw if u gt pregnant on first try of ivf? 40 yrs old success story i guess not many hor? congratulations and may god take good care of u. it is always motivating to hear success stories esp from those around my age

Ladies, I have done the transfer yesterday. With 22 eggs, only three made it and one under observation. This is almost the same result as my first ivf despite that i m on short protocol this round. Whole procedures took about 20 min and the nurse is nice to let me rest for 10 min on bed. Not sure what the outcome will be but we have done our time. Unlike my first ivf, I resume normal acvitities like carrying my boy and bring him out. Jia you to everyone on this journey.

Ladies, I have done the transfer yesterday. With 22 eggs, only three made it and one under observation. This is almost the same result as my first ivf despite that i m on short protocol this round. Whole procedures took about 20 min and the nurse is nice to let me rest for 10 min on bed. Not sure what the outcome will be but we have done our time. Unlike my first ivf, I resume normal acvitities like carrying my boy and bring him out. Jia you to everyone on this journey.
ringbell, i think better try to avoid carrying your boy too much .other than that i think normal activites r fine . good luck and enjoy your 2ww!take care

hi sisters who is wif dr loh, can i check with u gals if there is a waiting list to do ivf wif him? am thinking if touchwood my nex attempt at public hospital fails, i may want to consider dr loh or other private doctors .his charges seems ok for a private dr. am wondering whatis the waiting time like. few private clinics i have enquired told me there is no waiting time, once decided, straight away do checkups and can proceed liao .public hospitals will tell u they are packed, waiting list 2 to 3months min etc etc .

Back